Kumbbl

"Technic as in reality" - which sets represent this slogan bes

Mini cylinders don't exist in LDD, so Efferman replaced them with the green assemblies.

ah, thank you...

Hmm, if i understand this right, then this is more or less the same slewing principle as of the 8868: dual pneumatic cylinders which are cross connected and operate contrary to slew the mini-turntable...just a little bit miniaturized compared to the 8868... well, well build, no question but this is IMHO not a "airpressure driven rotary-module" because such a module would not work with cylinders - but it is a module which simulates this via cylinders as the 8868 has done ...

Or have i misunderstood your solution?

no, you are right. true pneumatic motors , except pneumatic V8s, are not really possible with lego when you want a endless rotation.

Edited by efferman

Maybe the 8847 as well? I know it's basic, but so is the real thing.

8847-1.jpg

My dad had that when he was a kid... he got it when it came out... guess who has it now.:) Oh, and its a two cylinder. Edited by Technyk32231

The engine placement on the 8880 fits very much with the kind of rear-engined layout used on a number of Lamborghini models (who have the engine right on top of the rear axle or slightly forward from it)

I also grew up with the german "Technik wie in Wirklichkeit" slogan all around and it influenced my view at technic as a kid. It has changed nowadays. While I enjoy the nowadays often included gearboxes immensely as a challenge to get the functions in a really cool way - they are not very realistic.

Under the realism aspect I have to agree with a lot in Kumbbls list.

858 - Auto engines. The scale allows a lot of detail from real engines - esp. given the parts limitation that time.

8851 - Excavator. Although never functioning perfect from the concept of it it's the most realistic excavator from Lego.

8856 - Whirlwind. Although every big helicopter included something different from the real thing, I think the swashplate here is done very nice with the connection to the pilot stick.

8868 - enough has been said about it but of course it belongs onto the list. Although the engine itself is belt driven I think it looks like just the fan is belt driven which is very realistic.

8459 - front loader. Everything that is included is very close to reality. Up to the very nice in cabin steering wheel.

8448 - for me the most realistic supercar (just front steering, good engine placement) and the dampers make good supported gullwing doors.

8416 - forklift. On the list for the realistic extension of the rack.

8110 - Unimog. From the tiltable cab over portal hubs, AWD and inline engine to PTOs and PPTOs. The modules could be better but the chassis more than makes up for this.

Like I said the modern gearbox design makes for exciting builds and interesting "power routes" through the models - but it's mot very realistic. I think a new supercar has the best chance of becoming a new "Wie in Wirklichkeit" vehicle.

Edited by Musikfreak

In my opinion; there aren't really many actually official sets. However there are some great MOCs, first one that pops into my mind is Sheepo's Peterbilt 379. I haven't really seen anything that can beat that so far.

Edited by dandexter

In my opinion; there aren't really many actually official sets. However there are some great MOCs, first one that pops into my mind is Sheepo's Peterbilt 379. I haven't really seen anything that can beat that so far.

just one word: incredible... me too (the bold sentence)

No set with LAs is anything like in reality :wink:

For now, pneumatic cylinders and LA's are all we have :wink:

Personally, I think 8265 is one of the best-looking models TLG have ever made!

For now, pneumatic cylinders and LA's are all we have :wink:

Pneumatics ay? Now there's an idea! :laugh:

Personally, I think 8265 is one of the best-looking models TLG have ever made!

Best looking yes, I agree with that. I think the topic/OP was asking for functionally and mechanically realistic models, not just aesthetically or superficially realistic :classic:

Edited by allanp

Best looking yes, I agree with that. I think the topic/OP was asking for functionally and mechanically realistic models, not just aesthetically or superficially realistic :classic:

Yes, it contradicts with the thread topic. But frankly, I don't have enough experience with Technic sets to determine which is the most realistic in functionality. Not even for a personal view.

But 8265 is great and realistic by looks :laugh:

Of the few sets I have tested out this year, after my dark ages, 42009 would have to be my answer. But my experience is limited.

Yes, it contradicts with the thread topic. But frankly, I don't have enough experience with Technic sets to determine which is the most realistic in functionality. Not even for a personal view.

But 8265 is great and realistic by looks :laugh:

the only pro of the 8265 is (IMHO); it looks great (for which we have an own thread)...nothing more - i'm really wondering what were the goals of TLG when designing this set... IMHO it could only be "look as good as possible", because realism lacks (allanp has already mention this) and playability is really lousy - or with other words: if you do not want getting a typewriters cramp you should avoid playing with this loader...and the motorized version looks simply very bad...

I would do a better question, how could they have done better the 8265?. I can not find any fault even they left us the pleasure of make it RC if we wanted. I know the system is unreal but the playability and fidelity are incredible.

How could they have done better the 8265? Simple answer: they have already with the 8459...

and the motorized version looks simply very bad...

I couldn't disagree more. Both the motor and the battery box are hidden from sight perfectly well, I was genuinely surpeised when I saw how they were able to put the battery box so out of view in this model.

The only way where 8265 is not realistic is that it uses LAs instead of air pressure (and, possibly, not using an LA for steering). The configuration of the rods is as in real life, and the fact they're precisely controllable (and non-compressible) is also true to reality. So I wouldn't pass off 8265 as unrealistic too soon.

No set with LAs pneumatics is anything like in reality :wink:

There, fixed it for ya :thumbup:

the only pro of the 8265 is (IMHO); it looks great (for which we have an own thread)...nothing more - i'm really wondering what were the goals of TLG when designing this set... IMHO it could only be "look as good as possible", because realism lacks (allanp has already mention this) and playability is really lousy - or with other words: if you do not want getting a typewriters cramp you should avoid playing with this loader...and the motorized version looks simply very bad...

I don't have this set, so I can't say anything about the realism. I'm just saying that I think it looks realistic.

In my opinion, it looks much better than the older loader with pneumatics and air tank, but I can't judge the realism as I've owned none of the sets.