Sign in to follow this  
mostlytechnic

Review: 79111 Constitution Train Chase

Excellent review mostlytechnic! Thank you!

I'm very excited about this set. We'll see if there is money available in the family budget to purchase it when it comes out. I hope that at some point I will see it on sale.

It's a shame they didn't design it with PF motorisation in mind, especially since it came with track. I guess you could probably attach a 9V engine which is easily done by changing the tender floor to use a technic plate and then replace wheels with the motor.

Still, a nice engine. Thanks for the review.

Great detailed review, this looks like a great set with a well designed train and most of the figures look great

Thanks for bringing us this great review, I was really looking forward to Lone Ranger sets and i'm glad that it turned out so good and this set is no exception! The train itself is very nice with some great details (I really like the little bell on the front), the figures are beautifully printed with nice new accessories. If it comes out at a reasonable price here, then I have to save money for it :look:

Thank you for granting us a wish come true by enable us to read such a well-written review with insightful thoughts especially from the train lover perspective. This set is certainly a blast and will definitely be pretty popular! I am looking forward to get this set based solely on its design instead of getting it from the liking of the movie.

Thanks for the stunning review! I won't be picking this set up because I just don't care enough about trains, but from an objective standpoint this sure is a beautiful, excellent train model!

The minifigures also, like all the figures in the Lone Ranger line, are stunning. There's on oddity that stand out to me, though - Butch Cavendish (who seems to be the main baddie, but of course LEGO sets aren't always the best evidence) has one face with beard and one clean-shaven face. Does he shave halfway through the scene? Or the movie? It's odd too because the angry-beard face looks so menacing, while the smiley clean-shaven face looks like a slightly sadistic guy with scars. I wonder if this reflects the film somehow.

(It's worth noting, though, that the Will Turner fig sometimes had one face with printed sideburns and one without, but it was merely a misprint. I doubt leaving off the whole beard could be a misprint, but you never know.)

Great review. I never realized how huge the EN is! I didn't have this on my list due to space issues but this train is tempting!

Does he shave halfway through the scene? Or the movie? It's odd too because the angry-beard face looks so menacing, while the smiley clean-shaven face looks like a slightly sadistic guy with scars. I wonder if this reflects the film somehow.

Comparing the box photo and the photo of the actual minifigure, I believe you are on to something about the misprint.

I just looked over the box and don't see anywhere Butch is shown with the smiley face - only the scowl. Anyone else know if the head's a misprint?

I actually think it's right - the photo on Bricklink isn't by me and it shows the clean-shaven side too.

Great review. Great looking set.

Lone Ranger minifig, Silver and a vintage train. Nice.

Edited by htbomb

Thanks for the amazing review love the comparison with the other trains :sweet:, your photos are spot on, they make me want the set even more than before. I'm not a train lover, but this set has an extremely nicely built, and some amazing figures as well.

Thanks for the great review...

Dont really love this set though...

Comparing the box photo and the photo of the actual minifigure, I believe you are on to something about the misprint.

I just looked over the box and don't see anywhere Butch is shown with the smiley face - only the scowl. Anyone else know if the head's a misprint?

I actually think it's right - the photo on Bricklink isn't by me and it shows the clean-shaven side too.

Is it me or is butch's beard only printed on one side of his face?

I've just finished building the set (thanks to the great review I couldn't pass it by) and Butch's head print has one side with the beard and the other without. So I'd wager that it's not a misprint. Certainly could be that in the movie he starts out clean shaven and progesses to having a beard, which is not all that uncommon as an adult male of the human species, or the other way around of course :wink:

edit: I just checked Butch's Head in set 79110 Silver Mine Shootout (identical mf), and the print is exactly the same, beard on one side, clean shaven on the other.

Edited by gratefulnat

Thanks for the awesome review!

Now...time to go stock up on some gold bricks...LEGO is killing my pocket this year with the sets they're releasing...

I bought this set a couple of weeks ago, and I like it quite a bit. It's my first Lego train, and almost definitely won't be my last. I do have a question for the experienced trainheads: how would you add driver rods to the Constitution? It didn't bother me at first that it didn't have any, but the more I look at it the more I want that iconic feature. But I have no idea how it should be done. Has anybody done this yet?

Hi Gryphon i would use 6x tech pin 3673 & 2x tech lift arm 1x9 thick 40490 (Bricklink codes) Thats how they do the con rods on the Emerald Night :-D hope this was helpfull for you.

Hi Gryphon.

There is a guy on bricklink (Brick trains) he makes his own con rods in many differant sizes.

His stuff is more realistic looking and less bulky you might want to check him out.