Geki Brick

Living near a Lego Store Sucks

You guys might think that living within walking distance of a Lego Store, a target, a TRU or a barnes and noble is a good thing. It is absolutely terrible for a Lego addict to be living within 2 miles of these retail stores because you end up going there every weekend and eyeing that set that you've wanted to buy. If I didn't actually live near these stores, I would stop getting the urge to stop by TRU when I'm getting groceries or at B&N when I'm getting lunch. Okay, nobody needed to see this and yes, I don't have a life, but for those of you who wish they lived near a Lego outlet...you are dead wrong!

Not! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one to open near me. 2+ hours is a pain. Especially because I'm terrible with directions :sadnew:. I know I'd be there at least a few times a week, just window shopping/planning. But, I could take better advantage of the deals they have. But, I do see your point. I guess you need more willpower. :grin::tongue:

You could get a part time job and get paid in sets!

Edited by Legocrazy81

i always drive like 25 minutes to check on the lego store even if i know nothing is new... but i still do it.

Well, I live about 2 hours of driving from the nearest LEGO-Store, so I have to make due with " normal " resellers. I would give an arm and a leg to have a brand store here in the Netherlands, just to get my hands on the Pick-a-brick. Special sets and polybags are so hard to come by here.

Luckely a new store dedicated to LEGO was opened here in Breda , saving up to 5 € per set , bigger sets sometimes even more.

And yes, that hurts the wallet sometimes :grin: !

grtz Saint

I have two shops a bit less than an hour's drive from me. I don't go to them, though, unless I'm at another shop nearby. Saves me plenty of money!

There's a Target at the mall about 15-20 minutes walk away from my house, and a Walmart a 15 minute bike in the other direction but I think I've been improving in budgeting the money I spend on Lego and other luxuries; I'm gonna need the extra money for university tuition.

My main hobby thankfully helps keep me too poor to go on a huge LEGO shoping spree.

Mind you, living within 30min walking distance of both a Chapters AND an Indigo store that just had a blanket 20% off LEGO Star Wars/Ninjago/City/TMNT sets for the entire month did not help me very much...

Oh well, at least I've got a shiny new TIE Fighter to hang from my bedroom ceiling so my kittens can try playing with it. :blush:

It's like anything else, you have to control and budget yourself.

You live near grocery stores but you aren't a 400 lb. glutton, are you?

Window shopping for Lego is fun but you don't have to buy anything.

Joe

I live close to a Target and Barnes and Noble, and the closest LEGO Store is about 20 minutes away. I still don't go there very often, and usually only go for the PAB wall.

In July of this year, there will be a LEGO Brand Retail Store that is about 10 minutes away from me (by bus!), but when I do go to the Vancouver LEGO Brand Retail Store, I usually only browse the merchandise there most of the time, though I have bought a few Kingdoms Chess sets, Pick-A-Brick cups and a few other things there and plan to get the Kingdoms Joust set this upcoming Friday (I try to go there at least once every month to get the monthly store calendar, as I prefer the paper version as opposed to the online version at LEGO.com -- I don't have my own computer or internet right now), so I am not too worried in spending more money then I do right now.

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

There is a Target about 10-15 minutes drive from where I live, and a TRU about 1 hr away. I don't shop (for Lego) at either of those places, but when I do I go to Target (because they have the biggest selection around, where I live at least) and browse the isle(s) looking at all the new sets.

I mostly get my parts and Minifigures off of Bricklink. Although I am starting a web design business this summer, as well as running the Royal Brick Customs Shop, so I'll probably have lots of extra money to spend (on Legp and a new MacBook Air). :)

~ RBC

The nearest one for me is the one in the Mall of America. Yeah right for Americabricks! I basically get all my LEGO there and I can't remember the last time I bought a set at Target. It's about an hour drive and I go about once a month.

Edited by Tolkien

I've had the same problem. After joining a LUG and doing Window displays regularly I haven't seen inside my local TRU in about 6 months probably.

I'm within walking distance to a Target and MasterMind Toys. Driving distance to TRU and Lego Store. I have discipline in the form of a wife to control my spending. :tongue:

The nearest store for me is about a 30 min. drive so I can usually control the urge to go unless I'm in the neighborhood (the website is just a click away and I'm usually at my keyboard anyway so I have more issues on that front). It would be cool to have a Pick-a-Brick wall within walking distance of my office though. I could see myself going out for lunch and a tub of random parts once a week or so as long as I felt comfortable in the knowledge that I was spending more time packing the cup than getting to and from the store. Expense-wise it would probably add up but when a decent sandwich, a drink and some form of dessert already costs me 15-20USD/day, a cup of bricks doesn't seem that outrageous.

There are 3 or 4 LEGO stores within two hours of me, and the closest one is about half an hour from me. The closest store is one of the stores that still sell damaged LEGO sets, so I always check out the sale section. I recently picked up the Pet Shop with a nice discount, but I do have to be careful not to buy everything in the sale section. They have some pretty good stuff sometimes.

Unfortunately (or luckily, perhaps) the nearest Lego shop is 500 kms away (well, there are actually two of them). Since I greatly reduced buying sets recently and focused more on individual parts that makes it more tolerable, and it's still great fun when I actually make the trip there, full of expectation what I'm going to find on PaB wall. Yet sometimes I wouldn't mind having a shop closer, just for PaB.

I so wanted a Lego store near my area and I will not ever regret it! I want a pick a brick wall!

full of expectation what I'm going to find on PaB wall. Yet sometimes I wouldn't mind having a shop closer, just for PaB.

I want a pick a brick wall!

PAB walls are nice, but I still find myself getting most of my bricks from bricklink, even with a store so close.

I've broken out of my Lego dark ages last year, and I have been snatching up every set I can, but my favorite strategy is to just hover around Kijiji.ca (local online classified) for Lego. There are so many kids that sell their entire collections (am I ever glad my mom held onto mine all these years). As well as local thrift stores that get a set donated and sell it for next to nothing. I love scavenging Lego! What a great hobby :classic:

Closest LEGO store.... 15 min

Biggest LEGO store close to me, Downtown Disney Anaheim, CA... 1 hour

LEGOland CA... 1.5 hours

I'm in the center of LEGO heaven for So. Cal!

(which keeps my credit cards in constant use) But as I tell my wife "at least I never get an invite to the LEGO Black Friday event" she finds that very comforting.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I live like 20 min from one Lego Store here in Guatemala, but actually I really do not visit it anymore is pointless.

The PABW is just for decoration. :hmpf_bad:

Not having some themes as Architecture.

Oh and the prices are 3.5 times those from USA. :ugh:

It sucks to have a Lego Store in your country and not be able to use it properly. Is kind of frustating. :sad: