I recently got the chance to see some rays up close. The wing movement is just fascinating; I just had to build one.

Unlike the real thing (which has an undulating-type wing), this is merely a two-part compound wing. I had planned to use something similar to mahjqa's da Vinci flyer, which achieves a nice fluid movement with two out of phase cranks per wing. What I eventually settled on was something like a scissor-lift, except there's no connection between the overlapping parts of the 'X':

8498493453_b8325f91d8.jpg

This type of wing design requires one crank per wing, which means more space can be allocated to the flaps, which do the job of powering the thing. Then it just took some tinkering with different mounting placements to achieve the ideal range of motion:

8499600680_12a9131a17.jpg
Just to be clear, all the propulsion is provided by the stingray, no hidden props or such. Power and flotation devices are up top:

8499597452_373a0ab31d.jpg

All in all, it was a very satisfying build; sometimes getting everything right is frustrating, but this time, it all came together cleanly and relatively quickly. Edited by VMLN8R

Great, great MOC! You just proved that indeed you can make anything from Lego (In the Netherlands Lego used the advertisment slogan "van Lego kun je alles maken").

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Great, great MOC! You just proved that indeed you can make anything from Lego (In the Netherlands Lego used the advertisment slogan "van Lego kun je alles maken").

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I english is that( with Lego you can build anything)

Edited by VFracingteam

Thanks for your comments everyone, they're much appreciated. Lost_In_Noise, I'm working on an LXF file, but in the meantime, more pictures can be found here.

You just proved that indeed you can make anything from Lego (In the Netherlands Lego used the advertisment slogan "van Lego kun je alles maken").

Very true. Speaking of which, did you have any involvement in this set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM13kj0bX0

@ VMLN8R: Thanks for making the LDD .lxf file! Now there can be many motorized Lego Manta Rays swimming in the seas:

sch_mantaray.gif