CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

And here's the alternate build! https://fbcdn-photos...841700271_n.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I was waiting for this.

I'm still not impressed though, the alternate build looks too much like a secondary build (which, of course, it is).

Oh well, at least some of the new Hobbit sets can be used to stem my Castle cravings.

The gateway does look somewhat better than I expected (the part above the gate especially), but really nothing to write home about. Just compare what City and Western builders are getting: new exciting figures, designs and vehicles... we get a gateway building we are bound to get in every Castle wave anyway and two common figs from the latest theme (and one unrelated to Castle, though the torso could be useful). Nevertheless it's certainly better than nothing, especially with absurdly high piece count - 424 pieces, really? How? The set looks quite like The Gatehouse Raid but has more pieces than Dragon Mountain!

Not completely awful but completely redundant next to the recently released Gatehouse Raid set. With the lacklustre SW sets this year and the "interesting" LTM sets I'll be saving a lot of money in the first part of 2014 I guess.

I find this set completely unappealling. I will pick up more of the actual Castle sets or Hobbit sets over this one.

I find this set completely unappealling. I will pick up more of the actual Castle sets or Hobbit sets over this one.

I can't say I completely disagree. I hate to say it but the movie Castle set seems to be sort of the dullest of the Movie sets. It lacks the acid trippy zaniness of some of the others. And as a castle set it's sort of meh. 2 crownies and another gate.

I can't say I completely disagree. I hate to say it but the movie Castle set seems to be sort of the dullest of the Movie sets. It lacks the acid trippy zaniness of some of the others. And as a castle set it's sort of meh. 2 crownies and another gate.

It would have been complete fanservice, but I really wish they made the Castle Cavalry set based on an older Castle faction with minifigures from that faction. We just got so many knights from this faction last Summer. And yeah, I think this set is pretty dull. I'd rather buy that Gatehouse Castle set from this year.

Edited by just2good

I'm fond of the transformed "flying chariot" version — using those wagon wheels as air intakes and towers as jet engines is brilliant. I can see how the alternate model might be a bit underwhelming though. While well built, it IS yet another gatehouse. And the minifigures don't seem to offer any exclusive face or armor designs either, though that's not a bad thing as far as army-building is concerned.

I do think some of the building techniques in both models are quite classy. The stonework on either side of the gate itself is nice (we've been seeing a lot of that lately in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sets), and the textures above the gate are very impressive. The "flying chariot" mode also incorporates a curved railing using similar techniques to those on display in 10223 Kingdoms Joust and 10224 Town Hall, which is a somewhat more complex building technique than we often see in Castle sets.

This will be a great source of blue double cheese slopes and flags for people who want to retrofit their old Kingdoms sets into the new Castle color scheme, and I appreciate that the flags have the same pattern as the ones in the Gatehouse Raid, though I'm sure people would appreciate that more if they were printed instead of stickered. It's a shame this set doesn't seem to have connection points to attach to other castle sets using the current modular design, though for MOCists that shouldn't be a problem. It also looks like it has at least two Reddish Brown 3M bars (the shorter "lightsaber blade" elements used frequently in the Collectible Minifigures).

I kind of wonder what role, if any, this structure will have in the LEGO Movie. Will there be a "Castle zone" of the movie's universe, or is it just in the city, and are the knights real knights or reenactors? :tongue:

Talking about Castle so much really makes me wish I had the space and budget to collect castle sets anymore... I used to love building castles when I was a kid, but these days Ninjago and Hero Factory eat up too much of my space and budget for me to commit to yet another theme (and my basement's too much of a wreck to build anything on that sort of scale anyhow). Maybe I ought to dabble in castle building in LDD more often...

I just saw that dragon on display and it is massive! I hadn't realised quite how big it was. It dwarfs horses, wargs and the like. It's a must-buy now!

I think it's a rather lovely looking gatehouse, and I really like the dual catapult as well. The one problem have with this set is the thing that pisses me off about the other sets in that these knights better be some pretty damn good sharp shooters as they have bows but with no arrow quivers. I mean, they only get one shot and that's it!

I think it's a rather lovely looking gatehouse, and I really like the dual catapult as well. The one problem have with this set is the thing that pisses me off about the other sets in that these knights better be some pretty damn good sharp shooters as they have bows but with no arrow quivers. I mean, they only get one shot and that's it!

If it helps you rationalize this. Troops assigned to a fixed fortification, such as a gate house or castle wall, would often not be wearing a quiver. Instead they would be pulling ammo from a prepared stash near the firing position.

hopefully we will get something better next year, like this:

http://www.brickshel...Stuff/7018c.jpg

it is the prototype for the 05 vikingship, it was a lot better than the finished product in my opinion (apart from the retarded helmets and some other things)

Edited by LegoPanda

If it helps you rationalize this. Troops assigned to a fixed fortification, such as a gate house or castle wall, would often not be wearing a quiver. Instead they would be pulling ammo from a prepared stash near the firing position.

Ok, that makes sense.

I am working on the 2013 Minifigure Catalog and one of my tasks is to assign all the Minifigures to themes. The 2013 castle sets have no sub theme, such as "Kingdoms". We encountered the same situation in 2007, but the fans came up with its own sub theme "Fantasy Era". I was hoping that you could post your suggestions on what an appropiate sub theme for the 2013 castle theme could be. My first idea was "Lions and Dragons". Do you have a better ideas?

I had suggested Fantasy Era 2, but Royal Lions seems to fit. The king's heraldry seems to be a reworking of the Royal Knights heraldry.

I call it the "Golden Age" or "Gold Era".

Golden Age is perfect, especially considering the focus of treasure and gold among the sets. Perhaps Golden Era would be better, to keep with the whole "era" thing.

I had suggested Fantasy Era 2, but Royal Lions seems to fit. The king's heraldry seems to be a reworking of the Royal Knights heraldry.

Fantasy Era 2 would be nice, but only the Dragon and the Evil Wizard imply 'fantasy'. Royal Lions would also fit, but it would be too confusing with the Royal Knights subtheme from 1995-96.

I'd like to add that Tresure Era sounds nice as well, but I think the above idea is just2good to waste! :tongue:

Gold Wars of course! This is the term I was using since preliminaries spoiled the story.

Love the new dragon, it looks great next to green one from fantasy era,but i wish dragons had more connecting points on the back and the wings were made of standard plastic because they slide off of pins very easily...