CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

With these pics will definetely get the forest ambush, and the dragon set on sale. I want the visor helmet in that color and the dragon, I just returned from my dark ages when Castle was ending.

I find curious how a 20 dollar set on this theme you only get one horse and three minifigs while on the Lonely Ranger for a 30 one, you get 3 horses and 5 minifigs.

Looks like the new castle gives us the new 3x3 plate in dark bley, and it does appear to be somewhat modular. The Forest Ambush doesn't look as bad as expected, as that wedge plate in green will do me some good. The Dragon is actually capable of holding a treasure chest? It's hard to tell, is that spider and web in dark tan?

Since the Blue Lion breastplate knights have different legs than the Crownie plate armor guy, I'm hoping they have different torsos under those breastplates. That would be really nice -- four different Blue Lion/Crown torsos. The Dragon torsos, breastplate, and horse barding look superb. The more pictures I see, the more this series is beginning to grow on me.

I'm not particularly fond of the bright blue color or the huge Crownie plate armor, but the other three blue knights (breastplate, mail, tunic) are gorgeous. If the mail and tunic guys didn't have crowns on their belts, they'd be wearing black helmets and would be part of my Black Falcons in an instant! :-)

Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures of the sets, and especially those great close-ups of the minifigures.

Considering a lot of people are saying that the new castle uses a lot of big pieces it is interesting to note that it does have the highest piece count out of the last three castles

with the current 70404 at 996 pieces

7946 was 933 pieces

and 7094 was 973 pieces

Edited by AlphaQuad

As i said before, the talking about it having too much big pieces is a misbelief anyway. The biggest pieses are the wall elements, and all castles from the last few years have used those aswell, so i don't know where that's coming from.

As i said before, the talking about it having too much big pieces is a misbelief anyway. The biggest pieses are the wall elements, and all castles from the last few years have used those aswell, so i don't know where that's coming from.

Part of it is that the wall pieces don't have as many outcroppings around them as 7946 did, so to many people the walls just look "plainer". IMO, there's nothing wrong with the walls looking plain, as that kind of ornamentation isn't an inherent quality of all castles, and many did have fairly plain walls. Plus, instead of using its pieces on ornamentation, this one uses them to make the columns supporting the gatehouse sturdier, among other stylistic decisions.

I think everyone here can agree that nobody wanted the new castle to be an exact copy of 7946. But whether a change is positive or negative is often subjective. To some people, a characteristic that is added to or removed from a new model is frivolous; to others it's absolutely essential to the model's appeal. In any case it's not wrong to have a preference for one or the other as long as you acknowledge that there are bad qualities about the one you prefer and good qualities about the one you don't-- they just probably aren't the qualities you consider most important in your own judgment.

Part of it is that the wall pieces don't have as many outcroppings around them as 7946 did, so to many people the walls just look "plainer". IMO, there's nothing wrong with the walls looking plain, as that kind of ornamentation isn't an inherent quality of all castles, and many did have fairly plain walls. Plus, instead of using its pieces on ornamentation, this one uses them to make the columns supporting the gatehouse sturdier, among other stylistic decisions.

I think everyone here can agree that nobody wanted the new castle to be an exact copy of 7946. But whether a change is positive or negative is often subjective. To some people, a characteristic that is added to or removed from a new model is frivolous; to others it's absolutely essential to the model's appeal. In any case it's not wrong to have a preference for one or the other as long as you acknowledge that there are bad qualities about the one you prefer and good qualities about the one you don't-- they just probably aren't the qualities you consider most important in your own judgment.

Here Here!!

I'll stick with 1 of the dragon set, 2 each of the others probably. Maybe only one of the carriage set. Gonna be an expensive 2nd half of the year...

I'm going for the Gatehouse Attack and Dragon Mountain sets. That way I get at least one of all the new torsos save the king's plus the Dragon Knight armour and barding (I can't stand the Lion Armour print but as that's in three sets anyway it's kind of unavoidable). Also the dragon, wizard and princess. I don't particularly like either build but at least they both contain some decent castle MOCing parts and I prefer them to the castle. I already have 2 variations of the Crownie king so even though the new King's print looks OK I don't think I'll miss him. If I feel the need for a few more troops an Ambush Attack should fit the bill nicely.

Edited by TeufelHund

Lego is really messing with my collecting OCD. I didn't collect "castle" back in the mid 2000's. I heavily collected Kingdoms (at least one of each set) and now they bring back the blue knights :\ They teased us with one, ONE lone Falcon knight in the joust set :\

Considering a lot of people are saying that the new castle uses a lot of big pieces it is interesting to note that it does have the highest piece count out of the last three castles

with the current 70404 at 996 pieces

7946 was 933 pieces

and 7094 was 973 pieces

The piece count is fine, all Castles besides LotR has big pieces.

My problem is in past sets they use the pieces wisely, the sets have rocks and out crops that break up the boring walls. The new castle is just boring walls and nothing much else.

The piece count is fine, all Castles besides LotR has big pieces.

My problem is in past sets they use the pieces wisely, the sets have rocks and out crops that break up the boring walls. The new castle is just boring walls and nothing much else.

The new castle's wall pieces are far from useless - they let children quickly and painlessly build walls for their own castles. BURPs, on the other hand, are of odd shapes and would be difficult for a child with a small palette of bricks - perhaps even just this set and a couple of others - to integrate nicely into a castle wall.

Furthermore, from a play point of view, the goodies have a harder time defending against the baddies if their castle isn't obviously built into a mountain, as it would be if one side were made out of BURPs. "Boring walls" means several ways to attack the castle, which means more exciting play for children. And this theme is clearly about playability; why else would so many catapults and flick-fires show their faces in the whole range of sets? On another note, why would LEGO make the baddies obviously human? It's so children can be creative - an option that wasn't really there in Fantasy Era castle, in which the skeletons' and trolls' motives were "kill humans". The red knights' motives are up to the children now, and that is a good thing.

Regarding my more general views of the line: the Gatehouse Raid would go first on my list, followed by the Forest Ambush and Gold Getaway. The blue knights' livery makes me reminisce about KK1 when I was younger, and the red knights' shields resemble those of Wolfpack to some extent. I think LEGO have a winner in this line.

I think the new pics make the theme more AND less appealing. The castle is looking better and better in my opinion. I probably still won't buy it, but I think its less symmetrical layout gives it a few points over 7946, and it looks very solid and castle-y. I would be buying this if I didn't think my wife would go berserk over me buying another Lego castle that is very similar to the one I have.

The Gatehouse Raid looks nice, and I'll probably buy it.

Dragon Mountain is the one that looks less appealing to me now. It just doesn't look as solid as it did in the first blurry pics. I still want it, though. I'll have to rebuild my Kingdoms Dragon Fortress and try to combine the two of them for a super two-faction Dragon Knights lair.

Personally, my favorites would be the Gatehouse raid and the Forest Ambush; they both have some nice pieces. Interesting that the Ambush uses 1x1 round gold tiles rather than coins, though I really can't say which I'd prefer...

Red eyed baddies, wizard and dragon. I've posted it before, I post it again, this looks like it is Fantasy Era 2.

<edit>

German Toy Fair: Eyes look red.

New York Toy Fair: Eyes normal.

Edited by gedren_y

Is it strange that I like the small dragon catapult more than the actual dragon? I wish LEGO would remake the dragon design into something as detailed as the molds from the Dino line. Aside from that, the new horse armor is nice, but not as usable for small dragon MOCs as I had hoped. Oh well, could still be useful.

Idk why, but these theme has been a roller coaster for me. When first announced I was excited. Then disappointed after seeing the pictures. But now I'm excited for these sets.

All are a must buy. The forest ambush is great - pieces and price wise - to army build. I'm not too keen on the color style for the "good" guys, but I'll learn to like it. The "bad" guys look great.

The new castle's wall pieces are far from useless - they let children quickly and painlessly build walls for their own castles. BURPs, on the other hand, are of odd shapes and would be difficult for a child with a small palette of bricks - perhaps even just this set and a couple of others - to integrate nicely into a castle wall.

No where, NO WHERE, did I say that walls were useless, I said the walls / castle was boring.

I'm really excited LOL! Do you guys know if August sets are released a little earlier from past experiences?

I believe these will be released in June. so except to start seeing them appear in May.