CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

i think the dog is 92586pb01, the old one.

Okay so its the German Shepard mold. What color is it in that set?

Also my questions in LOTR thread got overwhelmed by Orthanc. Could you please answer them if you can?

Thanks for the insight October :sweet: . I'm really excited about getting multiples of this battle pack now. I've always wanted Castle to follow the style of the Star Wars battlepack (although I know the Castle ones predate the Star Wars one). It'll be a great way to build up the separate kingdoms evenly and more balanced : ) !

Thanks for the insight, the Forest Ambush set seems really nice.

I hope the new heraldry design will be up to our expectations :classic:.

This is great! I'm glad everybody is excited about Forest Ambush as much as I am. It looked so unremarkable but October provided the details to flesh out this set and it makes it all the more special.

Just so I grasp it fully, we are collectively sure that the insignia will be a light blue, dark blue, and gold Lion faction, and a red and black Wolf faction?

Just so I grasp it fully, we are collectively sure that the insignia will be a light blue, dark blue, and gold Lion faction, and a red and black Wolf faction?

Well the collective 'we' remind me more of Dory's character from Finding Nemo more than anything else. At this point I'd stop at calling it an educated probability. A pretty good guess, but without the actual figures in hand, I'd hesitate on the 'sure'. :wink:

Edited by Crownie

I for one will likely get the Gatehouse and Forest Ambush. Though there is a chance that I will be jonesing enough for a LEGO fix that I might buy the rest too. After all I never figured I would buy the Kingdom Joust set, but since the LEGO store was out of MMV, I bought it instead. I enjoyed it and it's numbered bags too but it is not quite the treasure of MMV. LEGO LotR will get most of my love this year.

I do not have any dogs yet so that is a pleasant addition to Forest Ambush. I could see a MOC in the future where a Duke is leading a hunt. A lot of dogs would be needed for that.

Well I have enough dogs to suit me (though not the newer mold), so I would have rathered a horse, but the Forest Ambush set is sounding pretty neat. Not sure how many of the others I'd be interested in. The next two small ones seem pretty neat.

Wow, long thread, interesting discussion :) I was looking for info on the new sets, didn't know I would learn so much about heraldry etc...

I am really excited about the new castle sets, and while I see how they aren't phenomenal from an AFOL standpoint, I think lego has it right. There is a place for castle for kids, especially in the younger demographic. As mentioned LotR really wasn't targeted at that demographic. Although the new movie is coming out, the previous movies are going on 10 yrs old. Older than much of TLG's target audience.

I also think we need to consider the girl factor. There are a lot more young girls excited about lego since the new friends line. As a mom of young girls I know there are 2 major play themes among young girls:

1)dollhouse/Barbie - which "Friends" has done a fabulous job with

2)princess - this is an area where lego could expand the girl market

My daughter wanted a lego castle last yr, but alas there wasn't one. Kingdoms Joust is not really an option for a 5 y/o. And neither of us see "castle" when we look at LotR sets. TLG seems to realize that there is interest in castles among girls, mostly the 12 and under set. Thus the princess bricks and more set which was mentioned previously. I can see great potential with girls ( little and AFFOL) picking up a princess set and combing it with the king's castle. Surely TLG has considered this as well.

I also think we need to consider the girl factor.

I actually hope that LEGO accentuates this factor a little more. Despite my own love for LEGO, I have to admit that LEGO hasn't emphasized girl minifigures and sets all that much. Personally, I'd be really happy if Lego introduced some heroine minifigures (who aren't just princesses waiting to be rescued) into the Castle universe. Essentially, someone like Brienne from Game of Thrones except, you know, tailored towards LEGO's kid audience.

After all, I'm fairly certain that girls would become more interested in Castle and other such sets if girls were portrayed as heroes, and not just damsels in need of rescuing.

Personally, I'd be really happy if Lego introduced some heroine minifigures (who aren't just princesses waiting to be rescued) into the Castle universe. Essentially, someone like Brienne from Game of Thrones except, you know, tailored towards LEGO's kid audience.

I have the solution: Joan of Brick aka Jeanne d'Brick! :oh:

Maid Marion from Robin hood or Merida from Pixar's Brave would be a good place to look for inspiration regarding heroines. Strong female characters without being sacharine and girly like all that pink and fluffy fairytale nonsense Disney churns out.

Edited by Jargo

Wow that torso really is... special... xD Thinner than barbie

And yet "Kardashian'esque" about the hips and lower quarters. Kind of an interesting oddity in the Minifig world. Thankfully they got a little better at printing on curves.

Sadly (or joyfully depending in POV) I fear that the point of intersection between girls and Castle will go through the Friends line and the Disney license. Picture 9468 Vampyres Castle in white with a blue roof and a pumpkin carriage parked out front.

I actually hope that LEGO accentuates this factor a little more. Despite my own love for LEGO, I have to admit that LEGO hasn't emphasized girl minifigures and sets all that much. Personally, I'd be really happy if Lego introduced some heroine minifigures (who aren't just princesses waiting to be rescued) into the Castle universe. Essentially, someone like Brienne from Game of Thrones except, you know, tailored towards LEGO's kid audience.

After all, I'm fairly certain that girls would become more interested in Castle and other such sets if girls were portrayed as heroes, and not just damsels in need of rescuing.

Maid Marion from Robin hood or Merida from Pixar's Brave would be a good place to look for inspiration regarding heroines. Strong female characters without being sacharine and girly like all that pink and fluffy fairytale nonsense Disney churns out.

I don't think young kids really tune into the storyline of non-lisenced sets, unless they see commercials or something. And my daughters would probably not care if the princess was a hero. Lol. But I do think making a princess in the foreground of the box art who is involved in the action would make a difference. I have never pushed girlie stuff on my 5 y/o, but if the box has all male figures on the front she will tell me it is for boys. If there was a princess riding a horse or something, she would be all for it. A princess- less castle would be a hard sell in the store. But if I brought it home to her combined with the young builders princess, she would probably go for it.

Oh and I can almost guarantee my 5 y/o will want to swap those blue and red bricks for pink and purple if possible. So a pink princess would get a big thumbs up from her. But she would be happy with any color. As long as there is an obvious girl.

Oh but I do live in fear of lego expanding its Disney princess line past duplo. My girls haven't seen the movies, but they still have some frustrating attraction to those princesses... Groan...

Wow that torso really is... special... xD Thinner than barbie

I actually had forgotten about her! Then again, that was just when I was getting into my Dark Age.

Anyways, I do think that someone like her would be a step in the right direction: perhaps with a bit better made of a torso and a bit less pink, though (nothing wrong with the pink, but some variety from the norm would be welcome). For my part, I'd like to hold out hope that girls and Castle won't need to go through the Friends line before they meet. I'd just be nice if brothers and sisters--rather than being herded into the "girl's" lego world and the "boy's" Lego world--could have fun sharing the same sets and playing together.

I have never pushed girlie stuff on my 5 y/o, but if the box has all male figures on the front she will tell me it is for boys. If there was a princess riding a horse or something, she would be all for it. A princess- less castle would be a hard sell in the store. But if I brought it home to her combined with the young builders princess, she would probably go for it.

For Christmas 2011, I got my niece the 7187: Escape from the Dragon's Prison since she loves horse. For Christmas 2012, I got her 3186-1: Emma's Horse Trailer for the horse again. I agree that LEGO needs to help promote female minifigs in the regular sets otherwise the girls will stay in the girl aisle and miss plenty of great sets, many of which have females even if they are not promoted at all.

10656 My First LEGO Princess cannot be the end of the attempt. Does anyone know if it is being stocked with the regular LEGOs or the LEGO Friends aisle?