SavaTheAggie

MOC: Southern Pacific Daylight #4449

Just nitpicking: isn't the 4449 supposed to be on the smokestack's side? I can't see how one could do it, but still... :blush:

That is the train number not the locomotive number and back in the day it would be changed on each run. Since restoration, it is usually "X4449" indicating roughly, "train number: eXtra, pulled by locomotive 4449", following the convention of back in the day.

The number boards have been moved several times over the coarse of her life.

From delivery up until the 70's she wore her number boards mid-boiler. Then when she was rescued, refitted, and repainted to pull the American Freedom train in 1976, her number boards were moved up to the smokebox.

Sometime afterward she was returned to her original Daylight livery and her number boards moved back mid-boiler. After September 11th, she was once again repainted in the AFT colors and likewise her number boards moved back to the smokebox.

Today she once again wears the Daylight livery but her number boards are still up front in the AFT position.

So my model of the 4449 and her 'X4449' number board placement is accurate for the years between 1980 and 2001.

--Tony

I apologize for resurrecting this thread yet again. I'm sure most if you are tired of seeing it pop up on the list.

But for those interested, I have a video of the redesigned #4449 from TexLUG's most recent display.

--Tony

I love the MOC :wub: It reminds me of the Steam engine sitting behind the Science Museum of Virginia , I nice little fact the SMV used to be Richmonds main Train station and they have 2 coaches a Chessie caboose and a Chesapeake and Ohio (I think) Steam Locomotive. The engine is getting so rusted and wore out from no care it makes me cry :cry_sad:

Maybe you could do some reseach and make that your next Moc to sell :grin:

I apologize for resurrecting this thread yet again. I'm sure most if you are tired of seeing it pop up on the list.

But for those interested, I have a video of the redesigned #4449 from TexLUG's most recent display.

--Tony

You don't have to apologize, because i think this is one of the most beautiful locomotives i have seen. So much details and you can recognice the original locomotieve at one glance. Love your work.

I apologize for resurrecting this thread yet again.

I have to agree with The Dutch Guy I never get tired of seeing your work! Glad that she runs great after a few mods!

I hope one day you'll have instructions in your shop for it! but till then I'll settle for the real deal here in the northwest!

Edited by DmChylde

14265218716_6f9d8f4022.jpg

Digital Daylight by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

Thanks to my efforts to create instructions for my model of the 4449, I was able to change a few things around from the original, including the inclusion of some new parts that LEGO has made in recent years that I didn't have access to previously.

Her boiler has been made more robust, but more signifigant to some of you is that I was able to move the number plate forward. This is because of the new inverted 1x2 bracket. I'll have to take new photos of my version with the actual numbers on slopes, whereas here in the render the number plates are just tiles for ease of construction.

Other minor changes include swapping 1x1 cheese slopes with 1x2 cheese slopes to smooth out her lines. This is most apparent on the cow catcher.

I was also painfully reminded on just how complex and convoluted I was forced to build her. :tongue:

14323327223_def5b74cc3_t.jpg

--Tony

I hate you, in a very good demented way.

Your work is awesome, forcing me to buy instructions as money permits :laugh:

Beautiful job on a beautiful engine.

When the Horizon Express was rumored on this website, I was really, really hoping it would be something like your SP Daylight. This is my favorite MOC and the one I've wanted a copy to build for myself for the longest time. I will definitely be buying. Any estimate on number of pieces? Beautiful work.

Hey Tony,

I'm a fan of the german steam engines but see this beauty run fast on the layout is really sweet!

Great work ...the community will be happy to find your instrucions!

I wish there was someone selling British outline designs of this quality... There's a few guys building them, but they're not selling or publishing their designs, and I have *no idea* how they manage what they do, and the few designs that are available are underwhelming.

Edited by Redimus

Great work Tony! :thumbup: While I don't have any American equipment, this locomotive is awesome, both in real as in your model. So maybe I'll buy instructions as well and start building an American layout. :laugh:

and I have *no idea* how they manage what they do, and the few designs that are available are underwhelming.

There are plenty of pictures at Flickr, just look at the techniques used and use them to make your own British design. In that way, I was able to convert one of Tony's designs into a small Dutch-design freight engine. The fact that it's still a WIP says more about my lack of motivation I guess, but the running gear and overall looks are done.

Yeah, I've tried to to a certain extent, but it's hard when half the time you don't even know those bricks exist! Apart from the odd Star Wars Lego set, most of my Lego dates from the late 70s to the mid 90s!

LDD helps too, but you're still often left looking at CG versions of brick not being entirely sure how they're supposed to fit with everything else!

Edited by Redimus

Awesome! Thank you for releasing the instructions for this. I hope one day to be able to fund a copy of it.

I noticed one change immediately in the rendering... your use of the new 2 x 1 curved slope in Orange (11477)... love this piece.

Very good work , excellent work...

A little Story... Time ago i want to Made the triplex erie....and my friend lt12 Made it....

After i want to Made the Pacific daylight( with the Red/blue/ white color) and you Made it....

It is a joke or what? Your model is wonderful, now i have to restart with something different!

But you Made a really nice job, i like it very much... Maybe i get the instruction and Made some modification, my problem now is HOW to Made the white line( if you Check the other color type)

You are really a master builder for streaming loco!

Just because I've built something that some people say is good, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon, or that you shouldn't try building it yourself. Even if you don't feel it'll be as good, that's no reason to not try.

Go for it, and I hope to see your finished result.

--Tony

I'm a great believer that, if I can find someone else's idea and it looks better than I can imagine doing myself, to borrow their designs, follow them, then modify them for your own uses. That said, not sure this design needs all that much tweaking (not overly familiar with American locos).

There's no shame in learning from other's work, I could bash bricks together for ever and not achieve what these people have, but once I've recreated their building techniques, I am able to go on and design my own stuff with the new skills learnt.

Just make sure you give credit to them when you show off your heavily inspired models.

This would be my first post on Eurobricks but I wanted to share in my experiences with Tony's AWESOME Daylight Express 4-8-4. That particular engine has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember and so when I came across a LEGO version, it was a no brainer, I definitely had to build it! I had no idea that this venture would take such a long time, mainly waiting for parts, making sure I had everything, etc. My wife, whom I love, was ever so patient and helpful in finding some of the pieces at the local LEGO store, Bricks n' Wheels. I even recruited Joe from that store to help find pieces too. Overall, it's been a crazy and fun ride. It sorely tested my patience since this is my very first non "set" LEGO that I've built as an adult. I'd build many MOCs as a kid but never as an adult.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of my progress starting with a picture of my wife helping me find some grey pieces.

27754929032_17ffacba2c_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

27754929322_83ac121204_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Taking inventory of all the pieces (95% complete) on the dining room table. My wife was NOT happy with that since we had to EAT there too. I was nice enough to clean up afterwards. I'm sure many of you folks know how that goes...I'd rather have left everything there until I was DONE but no, I had to sadly put things away after taking partial inventory.

27754842182_7a6f51ea33_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

I couldn't believe that this was only 95% of all the parts I'd need just for the engine and tender. The passenger cars were a whole another story

27754841882_106ac1646d_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

I went through many mistakes, many changes, etc...this was after I finished the engine for the first time. It looked great but there were a bunch of mistakes on it.

27754842342_b5a3af0ad0_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

For example, the front end should NOT be touching the ground. I went too low on that one by adding an extra plate that wasn't needed

27754842562_66c63a6f0b_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

After removing one plate in front, the overhang wasn't touching the ground anymore...better but not perfect.

27754842822_2a7b4b54df_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Like many of you LEGO fanatics, I had several "projects" going on at once. The one in the background was the new Porsche GT3 RS set that I'd just finished the other day

27754842972_84d819c248_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

The train is about 99% finished after many many revisions. I have 4 final pieces left to come in the mail for the wheel rods. I also decided to add the "horn" up front by the smoke box but need to find a piece that can direct one single gold piece. And this is after building two passenger cars and deciding to build a THIRD too. The parts for that are on their way to me. I feel good about this whole project but it's not finished yet still! I still need to put the battery box and the IR receiver inside the tender before testing it out on a train set. Almost there!!

27856304125_40a7aa0775_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Express 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

I wanted to take the time to thank Tony for coming up with my "dream" train set!

Edited by atomic80

Looking fantastic! The cars are a great addition to complement Tony's design (congrats on your first MOC and perhaps post a few detail shots of those when you have time). It is neat to see the building process as it evolved.

My wife, whom I love, was ever so patient and helpful in finding some of the pieces

Of course you know that you now have to buy your wife a pony (grin)

Looking fantastic! The cars are a great addition to complement Tony's design (congrats on your first MOC and perhaps post a few detail shots of those when you have time). It is neat to see the building process as it evolved.

Of course you know that you now have to buy your wife a pony (grin)

I think my wife would actually prefer a nice purse or jewelry over a pony but thanks for the suggestion.

What kind of detail shots were you hoping for?

On another matter, I found out from Tony that I had accidentally ordered the "large" wheels which would explain why I had all kinds of issues so I redid the whole thing following his instructions again but this time I'll try them with the XL wheels that I just ordered. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here. But in the meantime, I wanted to make some revisions to my locomotive adding the "signage" and the "horn" by the smokestack. I have mixed feelings about how it looks. It looks weird IMHO and I may just take the "horn" out altogether. Let me know your thoughts.

27763237142_a728efaa7e_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Expresss 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

27763237392_3edd927a8e_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Expresss 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

27763237562_8a3f3d78dc_h.jpgLEGO Daylight Expresss 4-8-4 by Jason Tang, on Flickr

Edited by atomic80