Klaus-Dieter

2013 Lone Ranger Sets

From your perspective it doesn't make sense as it doesn't make sense from my perspective either.

But it makes a lot of sense when you're trying to look from TLG's perspective.

Let's suppose you're a fan of Western or simply a fan of Lone Ranger, and you would buy all these sets and collect the whole series.

You're just fine with that, and that's all.

Supposing you're not a fan of series like Adventurers, you won't buy Adventurers series because you're not a fan and you don't want the series.

Now considering Lone Ranger includes the new pistol, but sticks to old rifle which looks awful among the new pistol (as you agreed), you might want to update your rifles too.

And when in 2014-2018 they will include a new series like Adventurers with the new rifles, you will have in mind to buy some sets just for the rifles, even if you're not a fan of Adventurers and you wouldn't have bought them if they would have included the new rifles years ago since they released new pistols in Lone Ranger series.

You will have in mind to do that because you never liked the new pistols among the old rifles, so again, with not much effort, TLG does another marketing hit between its users.

If you dig between their shoots during the time, you'll notice lots of such movements in how they release their pieces by mould, by color, etc.

Or you could invest in brickarms........ Just saying *flies away*

But I guess you have a point somewhere-ish. :shrug_oh_well:

legokatalog004.jpg_thumb.jpg

I made a cleaner scan of the page.

http://www.brickshel...okatalog004.jpg

Thanks for the clear scan.

The sets are very nice, even if the price is high; well it is a licenced theme, so no big surprise hereā€¦

The Silvermine comes clearly from the Dwarves' mine (7036), but it looks good anyway :classic: .

The Cavalry (79106) seems a great regiment builder, even though the price is high again; one can compare with Indiana Jones' Ambush in Cairo (7195) that has the same number of minifigs.

Well, this theme is really promising! :sweet:

30260-1.jpg30261-1.jpg

Have these been shown on here yet? I think that these look pretty good as far as polybags go. It also gives us a vague idea of what we can expect from the box art of the actual sets and gives us a closer view of the two main characters.

*EDIT* I imagine that us in the UK will get these in a newspaper promotion for The Sun, probably in or around May to coincide with the release of the rest of the theme.

Edited by Bounty Hunter Supreme

Those polybags are pretty neat, I hope I can get my hands on the Tonto one at least (some nice cheese and 1x1 round plates). It's still very hard to tell, but maybe the crow does come of Tonto's hat?

Are you serious :grin: ......they are the best poly's in a long time :wub: ......buy both and you have the main two heroes.....count me in......well, when they become available that is. :blush:

Are you serious :grin: ......they are the best poly's in a long time :wub: ......buy both and you have the main two heroes.....count me in......well, when they become available that is. :blush:

Except that if you buy any of the actual sets you'll get the Lone Ranger anyway and a fair amount of them will also have Tanto. So not a lot of reason to get them unless you plan on buying nothing else or you collect polybags.

From your perspective it doesn't make sense as it doesn't make sense from my perspective either.

But it makes a lot of sense when you're trying to look from TLG's perspective.

I think you're reading too much into it. TLG has always said that AFOLs are not the target market for most of their sets. Why would they institute a corporate policy just to screw us over?

It's far more likely that TLG didn't see a need to create another expensive mold just for this line. The pistols were probably a higher priority since they're a large part of the main character's look.

I don't think we'll see a new rifle mold any time soon unless there's a compelling reason for TLG to spend the money on one.

Except that if you buy any of the actual sets you'll get the Lone Ranger anyway and a fair amount of them will also have Tanto. So not a lot of reason to get them unless you plan on buying nothing else or you collect polybags.

I think you're reading too much into it. TLG has always said that AFOLs are not the target market for most of their sets. Why would they institute a corporate policy just to screw us over?

It's far more likely that TLG didn't see a need to create another expensive mold just for this line. The pistols were probably a higher priority since they're a large part of the main character's look.

I don't think we'll see a new rifle mold any time soon unless there's a compelling reason for TLG to spend the money on one.

Thank you for that breath of fresh air / reality check. :wink: Fans on these forums are really in the minority as far as LEGO sales go - and I always see people overstating their influence on TLGs decisions. While they certainly do take the opinion of their adult fans into consideration, we aren't by any means LEGOs primary market.

Personally, I think these polybags are great. Unless I really become a fan of the film, I'll probably just stick with these two polybag sets for this theme. :wink:

Those polybags are neat and it is nice seeing so many new polybags out there. Granted, who knows when some will be available and where. However, with all of these polybags having the main characters, it's tough to justify the purchase since I'll already have multiple Tonto/Lone Ranger with the actual sets. So I will have to pass on these unfortunately. But it makes sense to release these instead of an army builder Native American or something, simply because maybe some kid will only want the main figure and not get any of the sets. Business-wise, it makes sense. AFOL-wise, it doesn't (to me).

Either way, thanks for the pictures.

The polybags are pretty cool. Are those train wheels on the Lone Ranger one?

Edited by just2good

Ah, so true except for yourstruly is watching his money this year (mainly city and a few superheroes, plus one Clone Wars).....LR might have to sit on the sidelines so polybags might be the only way both my son and this old tiger can get those two minifigs. :wink:

Agreed, these are great polybags if you're interested in the main heroes, but don't intend to buy any of the sets. I'm especially interested in the Tonto one as he doesn't appear in any cheap sets. I still wonder if that bird is removable...

The polybags are pretty cool. Are those train wheels on the Lone Ranger one?

If by "train wheels" you mean if it's the same wheels as used on trains, then no, but if you mean if it's the same train track compatible wheels we've had for decades, then yes. :wink:

Wishing for Lone ranger polybag to include his horse was expecting too much. Not a bad selection for kids and moderate collectors but I wanted a white horse. Guess the overpriced Cavalry set is the way to go with those horses. I even wish the Princess creator set had a white horse instead of a brown one.

Oh and it's great that Tonto gets a new tomahawk mold but the Hobbit barely gets any new weapons, not even Orcrist just rehashes from LOTR like Sting and the Hobbit short swords.

Edited by Mahtion

Wishing for Lone ranger polybag to include his horse was expecting too much. Not a bad selection for kids and moderate collectors but I wanted a white horse. Guess the overpriced Cavalry set is the way to go with those horses. I even wish the Princess creator set had a white horse instead of a brown one.

Oh and it's great that Tonto gets a new tomahawk mold but the Hobbit barely gets any new weapons, not even Orcrist just rehashes from LOTR like Sting and the Hobbit short swords.

The tomahawk is from one of the upcoming minifig series.

The tomahawk is from one of the upcoming minifig series.

No, I'm pretty sure it's from this theme as it was probably created to more accurately portray the heroes' signature weapons, just like the Ranger's guns. Its appearance in the CMFs is probably a reuse, just like the Man-Bat.

By the way, does anybody else find it funny that all the Ranger seems to be doing in all the set pictures is making poses with his guns? In the Comanche Camp he's just shooting in the air, in the City Showdown he's not even looking at the bank robbers, and in the train set it almost seems like Tonto is screaming: "Stop posing for the camera and help me!" :laugh:

Haha yeah now that you mention it, Lone ranger seems pretty oblivious to everything just pointing guns in the air. I think it follows the comedy of the new adaptation because Tonto is experienced and lone ranger needs guidance.

I really want new Western sets, but am not too excited for these. Though, I am hoping they turn out better in hand.

Got to say, all these sets are looking pretty great. That said, the only one I can see myself buying is the stagecoach, as I can place it beside Pirates-era sets without it looking too out of place. But 50 euros? That's a LOT of dough for a relatively small set.

The mine bears closer resemblance to the old 6761 Bandit's secret hideout mine. :classic:

Nice catch, I didn't know this old western set (dark age,ā€¦) :sceptic: .

So, I would rather say that the LR mine comes from both 7036 and 6761 :laugh:, I guess that's just a matter of personal taste :pir-laugh:.

This is completely off topic, but that sort of looks like Erebor from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to me. Just thought I would point that out, even if it is just me who thinks that.

Can't say, I'd have to watch the film before! :grin:

TLG has always said that AFOLs are not the target market for most of their sets.

That doesn't mean they aren't taking AFOL's into consideration!

I don't feel TLG is out to "screw" us. But I'm sure we are a consideration on a lot of decisions in recent years. They would be crazy NOT to consider AFOL's, as we are the end goal of many businesses - customers for life!

My honest feeling is that TLG throws things into their sets to make us happy, NOT to make us feel cheated, *when the budget allows!* Do you think all the recent upgrades in minifigure printing is *just* for kids? Most of them wouldn't care as much about leg or back printing. But AFOL's do!

TLG knows our complaints. But the biggest one we have is cost. And to give us a set with tons of new molds would be too expensive. I'd be happy to see new guns now with new rifles coming in later years if that's how it all comes out due to costs involved. And TLG giving us different colors of parts is a GREAT thing, not a scam! Do you want nothing but the same colors over and over? I don't, give me variety, as TLG is doing very successfully!

Above all else, TLG is a business. I do not want to see them go out of business. If I have to suffer a bit now and pay a bit more later to get upgraded rifles, I'm more than willing to do so if it keeps TLG around. Because even then, I'll still be getting a bunch of bricks and minifigs with my purchases, it's not like I'm being cheated. I don't expect TLG to operate at a loss or at break-even prices. They deserve their profit, and I don't feel cheated.I really think they are doing their best to give us the biggest bang for our buck without outright gouging us.

I think we have hope to see a new rifle piece next year. From the leaked lists we have a few CMF's that would benefit from an updated long gun. And they more often seem to be starting or incorporating new designs for minifig accessories over with the CMF's. if we are starting to see some more 17th and 18th century soldiers like the American one, than we should see some sort of newer weapon mold.

If this is going to be a licensed theme, then it might be bad news for Marshall's (generic) Modular Western Town as they might not want competing western themed kits (just as Pirates is on hold until PotC plays out and LotR is the new Castle series)

Eh? There isn't any official information regarding that statement and there are no estimates for when the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise may "play out". There could be sequels for many years to come or it could be rebooted completely, possibly with decade long hiatuses in between films.