CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

I think you're right about the set division, but whether or not it's an even contest is debatable as most of the bug ones appear to be on the smaller side, which is potentially a bit disappointing.

It could also be a ploy to sell multiple copies of the "bug" sets. If they're all at the relatively lower price-points, the use of the word "swarm" might be a purposefully semi-subconscious hint to army-build them, to have a huge bug infestation that a small handful of elite Galaxy Squad soldiers have to eradicate. I know I wanted a huge army of stormtroopers for my Star Wars collection when I was a kid, not that I was able to convince my parents of that need. If they had been made available in bulk or an otherwise cheaper avenue, I might have received my army (which would have been, like, 8 tops - seriously, mom and dad!)

It reminds me of the more modern Real-Time Strategy games, where one side has superior units in smaller numbers, while the other side has inferior units in greater numbers. It's still a balance, just a different tactic.

Edited by vynsane

Taking a slightly different tangent, maybe it is humans who are the swarm. I can imagine a large number of smaller human ships (Or human controlled drones.) coming down from an orbiting mothership swarming over some poor alien civilisation trying to destroy them or take them over. Poor bugs would be trying to defend against them. I would be really keen for that sort of concept to take hold.

The small alien bug creatures could be trying to obliterate a human infestation from their home world!

Sadly enough, LEGO seems to be against "human bad guys, alien good guys-themes". All though the humans being the vermin from the Vermin Vaporizer does sound like something you'd here an Alien Overlord say.

It could also be a ploy to sell multiple copies of the "bug" sets. If they're all at the relatively lower price-points, the use of the word "swarm" might be a purposefully semi-subconscious hint to army-build them, to have a huge bug infestation that a small handful of elite Galaxy Squad soldiers have to eradicate. I know I wanted a huge army of stormtroopers for my Star Wars collection when I was a kid, not that I was able to convince my parents of that need. If they had been made available in bulk or an otherwise cheaper avenue, I might have received my army (which would have been, like, 8 tops - seriously, mom and dad!)

It reminds me of the more modern Real-Time Strategy games, where one side has superior units in smaller numbers, while the other side has inferior units in greater numbers. It's still a balance, just a different tactic.

That's a really good point that I had thought of. By encouraging the purchase of the smaller sets (which are probably the most commonly purchased anyway because of the small amount of on person money they require), tLC could get even more of them sold, especially if they look good (like the Shark Scout or his torpeedo-like DPV). I've honestly always been a fan of mini-ships. There's just something so cool about small individual strike ships, especially in numbers. I think it's sort of the same appeal as that of motorcycles. Army building could be and probably is the direction in which TLC is heading with the swarm. I anticipate (and hope for) several variations of similar mini-ships spread through-out the sets. (like this ship to The Stingrays or this ship to Blacktron II) The original Insectoids had a myriad of cute and awesome mini-ships, from this cricket-like one (which was my favorite as a kid even though I didn't ever have the set and was forced to make my own); to this one, which I did have and love; to the flying drones in these two sets. I hope this theme brings back the idea of detachable mini-ships. I don't understand why such an awesome concept went by the way side? It's like having your cake and having a brownie too! Oh, the Halcyon days of youth. :cry_happy:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Sadly enough, LEGO seems to be against "human bad guys, alien good guys-themes". All though the humans being the vermin from the Vermin Vaporizer does sound like something you'd here an Alien Overlord say.

That's partly because it's simply not good design to make sets that kids can't understand without an in-depth explanation. And kids are more likely to assume that human characters are good guys than bad guys because they identify better with the humans than with aliens. Even themes like Ninjago and BIONICLE which have extremely in-depth stories try to make the sets clear enough that a kid can take them at face value-- generally in BIONICLE, villains were bestial-looking while heroes were more humanoid, and in Ninjago the villainous factions of the sets are never ordinary humans.

Concepts where humans are villains and aliens are heroes work totally fine in movies, books, and other story media, but much less so in toy design. WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) is a very valid design principle for any type of consumer goods, toys included.

Edited by Aanchir

It is not that humans have to be the bad guys as opposed to the insects. I am pretty sure as a young child I was able to grasp that all sides have several shades of good and bad. they could just make two factions, both could have human and alien as members. They could both then be seen as the good or bad guys depending on which one you as the collector wanted to be which without the racial stereotypes. Surely that is a good positive thing for children to learn/know as opposed to all aliens are bad and we are always right and good for o other reason than we are human? It was something my parents taught me from a very early age. (Even if they did not themselves always adhere to it.)

That is an interesting concept Hrw-Amen. I like that. Mix it up a bit. Not every person is going to believe in the same thing, so there will always be a mix. So in LEGO form, some insects/aliens are going to fight alongside the humans, and vice versa. If you think of X-men, mutants and humans can be at odds or work together. The same could be said for here. I'd actually prefer to see that. It would/could provide a lot of back story how they parted ways and took sides. Instead of just saying humans want to have mass insect genocide and vice versa.

I'm always torn on space themes, but this one may be really neat. I'll have to wait and see images.

I agree. It would be a great directional move for TLC to incorporate aliens and humans in a faction too. Instead of saying aliens = evil, humans = good, they should instead focus on traits. so an evil human will have a sinister/evil look - smug looking and evil grin. kinda like the robbers from the city/police sets. same with aliens. it's a great lesson for kids - that gloating is evil, that wicked is evil, etc. instead of being classed as evil by race.

to teach kids about remorse, perhaps the evil faction would have double sided heads where the other side is a crying face - like the one of the jester from the castle theme. it's quite a strong message that preach about doing good - being evil will end in disappointment and heartache. and the good guys' heads can have determined looks and happy looks. it will teach about bperseverence - if you struggle hard enough you will eventually win. good triumphs over evil!

A whole wave of leaks have emerged and it seems that Galaxy Squad is nowhere to be seen - I'm pretty much sold on the idea that this'll be a Summer wave. :sceptic:

Well, it is not. I saw "hard evidence" that its 1h set, only problem could be that it might be "limited availability" set (not available in all coutries).

Well, it is not. I saw "hard evidence" that its 1h set, only problem could be that it might be "limited availability" set (not available in all coutries).

Cite your source please...

"limited availability" isn't too common for an entire theme...

I agree. It would be a great directional move for TLC to incorporate aliens and humans in a faction too. Instead of saying aliens = evil, humans = good, they should instead focus on traits. so an evil human will have a sinister/evil look - smug looking and evil grin. kinda like the robbers from the city/police sets. same with aliens. it's a great lesson for kids - that gloating is evil, that wicked is evil, etc. instead of being classed as evil by race.

to teach kids about remorse, perhaps the evil faction would have double sided heads where the other side is a crying face - like the one of the jester from the castle theme. it's quite a strong message that preach about doing good - being evil will end in disappointment and heartache. and the good guys' heads can have determined looks and happy looks. it will teach about bperseverence - if you struggle hard enough you will eventually win. good triumphs over evil!

I imagine that kind of thing would confuse kids more than it would educate them. And a confused kid might not be likely to buy more products from that line. Generally kids expect their bad guys to look scary, so a crying face would make them very unsure whether the character is supposed to be good or bad. As for splitting both factions into good and evil, again it makes the sets harder for kids to understand. After all, kids looking at the package to each set aren't necessarily going to be analyzing the faces of the figures in-depth. In a two-faction theme they will expect both factions to be fairly uniform in whether they are good or evil, and so they'll make their own assumptions.

Meanwhile, often LEGO product descriptions don't say much at all about which characters are good and which are evil. For instance, consider this description of the Mine Mech:

The one-of-a-kind Mine Mech is an experimental mining walker built to go where the other Power Miners vehicles can't. Its enhanced movement and armor make it perfect for exploration and emergency rescues, and its spinning plasma cutter and crushing claw make it more than a match for any rock -- or rock monster! Features spinning saw blade, claw arm, moveable legs to walk or pose model and opening cockpit! Includes miner and rock monster minifigures and accessories! Combine with #8956 Stone Chopper to build the Cave Cutter!

Of course, it should be noted that there was a deliberate marketing decision in the Power Miners theme to make the Rock Monsters mischievous/territorial, not evil. But generally, it is indeed left up to the kids to understand for themselves whether the humans are heroes or aggressors.

That doesn't mean TLG shouldn't design the sets with the intent of giving a clear impression who the kids are meant to identify with, though-- that much has been clear ever since TLG decided to give the Pirates figs beards and other defining characteristics because with simple smiley faces they looked too nice! If you make both factions equally friendly-looking, then kids might not understand that the sets are supposed to be conflict-based. And while there's a place for themes that aren't based on conflict, you want it to be perfectly clear whether a set is or isn't conflict-based, because otherwise kids who want sets with conflict might see the sets as conflict-free or vice-versa.

Create sets that kids have to identify for themselves, and you risk the kids identifying the sets as something they don't want. That's a big risk to take.

Also, regarding claims that evil aliens somehow promote racism: that's not the case if kids don't understand that the aliens are supposed to be people. As far as a lot of young kids are concerned, aliens are just a type of monster, and I doubt (for example) that in a zombie apocolypse theme people would take offense to the zombies being portrayed as "bad guys." Will there be moral ambiguity if we actually make contact with alien life? Yes, and there isn't a toy line in the world that can prevent that, because the human brain is hard-wired to identify with humans more than with other organisms, and specifically with humans who remind us of people we trust. What is unfamiliar to us is frightening, and even if TLG puts friendly aliens into their themes we're still going to be scared and confused if the aliens show themselves to be giant toothy flying eels with tentacles coming out of their ears. So why not stop worrying about making kids question their instincts and worry more about making toys kids will understand and enjoy?

Edited by Aanchir

Cite your source please...

"limited availability" isn't too common for an entire theme...

We didn't get Space Police III or World Racers here in the UK - the only place we could get them was through Lego's retail stores or the Shop at Home website. Well, sort of - a good year after the theme ended a few sets turned up in a specialty toy shop near me, but that must have been some kind of surplus deal - they've had the Winter Village sets before when they're only available through Lego too. Strange. But that's against the point, this shop was a one off.

For the most part in the UK, if you wanted Space Police III or World Racers you'd have to buy from Lego themselves or not at all. I hope this theme doesn't go that way.

Edited by Rocketbilly

Yeah, thats what I meant. In Slovenia we never got Monster Fighetrs and they are even not in regular catalogue.

Then we should get some pictures soon, I hope! The Chima minifigs are superb, it made me very optimistic about the new insectoids

:classic:

Yeah, thats what I meant. In Slovenia we never got Monster Fighetrs and they are even not in regular catalogue.

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, that could be the case. I'm just getting impatient - all of these other themes have me too hyped for 2013. :laugh:

Even if it is summer, we'll at least be assured the sets will be awesome. And while the argument continues, if they were made to look humanoid and at the same time definitely have an alien look, I'm sure a theme where the aliens are the good guys or at least part of the "good" faction could become popular with kids.

I wonder why no pictures have been found yet. All other themes have pics leaked/sneaked already.

Most of the leaked pics have been from Swiss sites to my knowledge. Maybe Switzerland isn't getting this theme until later in the year.

It wouldn't be the first time Europe gets sets later or not at all. Kind of strange, as LEGO is from Denmark.

Wow, I'm really amazed we don't have any news on this theme yet. I really thought it would be the one-off Winter theme this year, but it might turnout to be the one-off Summer theme this year. A situation like this has never happened before. *huh*

Wow, I'm really amazed we don't have any news on this theme yet. I really thought it would be the one-off Winter theme this year, but it might turnout to be the one-off Summer theme this year. A situation like this has never happened before. *huh*

Not strictly true. Last year LEGO was very good at avoiding leaks, and we didn't get any pictures until a month before the sets arrived.