Flagships 2000-2012  

226 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite flagships (2000-2012)?

• 2000:8458 Silver Champion
    • 2001:8466 4X4 Off-Roader
    • 2002: 8461 Williams F1 Team Racer
    • 2003: 8455 Backhoe Loader
    • 2004: 8436 Truck
    • 2005: 8421 Mobile Crane
    • 2006: 8285 Tow Truck
    • 2007: 8275 Bulldozer
    • 2008: 8297 Off-Roader
    • 2009: 8258 Crane Truck
    • 2010: 8043 Excavator
    • 2011: 8110 Unimog U400
    • 2012: 9398 4x4 Crawler

I voted for 8043.

I would also vote for 8265, which looks great, and would also qualify as a flagship if you add a couple of motors (e.g.

)

I voted for 8043.

I would also vote for 8265, which looks great, and would also qualify as a flagship if you add a couple of motors (e.g.

)

Well, if it was full RC, sure, it would rival 8275. But we're voting for sets as they are out of the box. Plus, there can only be 1 flagship per year and 2009's is 8258.

I actually bought 8265 (and didn't get 8258), I like it, but it doesn't have that many functions. 8459/8464 has all the same functions, operates more smoothly (better steering + pneumatics with air tank), with about half the parts.

I always loved my 8466 (once I fixed the steering) and of course the unimog and crawler, i never owned 8297 or 8043 but I also voted for them.

I always loved my 8466 (once I fixed the steering) and of course the unimog and crawler, i never owned 8297 or 8043 but I also voted for them.

8275, 8110, 8042, 9398 AND 8421!

With the 8275 as my absolute favorite!

First of all, I only voted for models I actually own. If I would have owned 8458 Silver Champion I think I would have added that as well because I think it's a great set (a cousin owns it and I have seen the finished model once there)

No: 2000 - 8458 - I don't own the set. I would have chosen it if I did though, because I think it has interesting techniques and is good looking with the silver panels.

No: 2001 - 8466 - Not chosen because I don't like the subject matter of offroaders, the very rounded shape looks kind of weird to an offroader, and the techniques are not much different from 8448.

No: 2002 - 8461 - Not chosen because it is basically a re-release (and I do not own it).

No: 2003 - 8455 - Not chosen because I'm not much of a pneumatics person (and I do not own it).

No: 2004 - 8436 - Not chosen because in retrospect the model is kind of average and actually not very feature-rich.

Yes: 2005 - 8421 - Chosen because I love mobile cranes and this one is executed very well with many functions. The doubly extending boom is the function I like most, and the tiny turning radius. All the wheels close together also give a very "beasty" look to the model.

No: 2006 - 8285 - Not chosen becuase the model has too much empty space that just sits there doing nothing, and the functionality is mostly fairly simple because there was no space restriction. Therefore the building techniques become less interesting. I mainly got the sets for parts - it was pretty cheap at only EUR 109 for 1800+ parts at the time.

Yes: 2007 - 8275 - I doubted, but I chose the model because it just works so well, and looks so good. The techniques are simple, but it creates a coherent whole and it very playable. Also it looks like a monster, and the PF parts are put to very good use here.

No: 2008 - 8297 - Not chosen because I think it looked like a mediocre set at first, and it still does. The variable suspension is neat but the rest is not very interesting (I personally do not care about the PF lights). And I do not own the set.

Yes: 2009 - 8258 - Chosen because of the incredibly complex inner workings, the cool outriggers that actually work like real ones, and the doubly folding crane that is executed so well (even though it doesn't lift a lot). Also it's huge, and, again, looks very impressive.

Yes: 2010 - 8043 - Chosen because of the great gearbox with six motorized functions, including motorized tracks, all crammed in very little space which makes the build very interesting.

Yes: 2011 - 8110 - Chosen because it is a very versatile set which has everything - suspension, steer, drive, PF, pneumatics, winch, is very interesting to build and the final package is very playable and the crane is actually quite strong.

No: 2012 - 9398. Not chosen, because besides the - obviously beyond awesome - RC drive and steer, the set actually doesn't have much (and I do not own it). Although if I had one, or the money to buy one, I might have added this because it is kind of cool (partly because of the colors).

If I had to pick one favorite I think it would be 8258.

I picked only the ones I have and will rank them in order below.

8455 Backhoe - I love all of the complexity packed into such a compact and attractive model. The pump is clever and what's not to like about pneumatics?! I like that this model is not too big and heavy as well.

8421 Mobile Crane - When I first got back into Technic in 2009 this was the one set I was most excited about and it doesn't disappoint. I added new PF parts in place of the RC motor to bring it up to modern specs.

8275 Bulldozer - This one is a must have for any serious Technic fan, IMO. It's actually pretty fun to play with which doesn't hurt.

8258 Crane Truck - This one is interchangeable with the 8275 in my ranking. I love the complexity of the gearbox and the handsome cab via clever panel placement.

8043 Motorized Excavator - I put this one last simply because I have not yet built it. I could easily see it fitting in at the number 2 or 3 spot at the very least since it is well liked and respected.

I plan to buy the 8110 Unimog at some point, along with the 9398 4x4 Crawler but will probably skip the others. I look forward to seeing where they fit into the list.

It's clear that 8455 backhoe is the best and my favourite,it's so complex and it's even a favourite of Lego designers so that's a big thing.

I voted for 8455 and 8110 because they have a huge amount of functionality and authenticity. Their functions work great and are quite powerful which makes then feel even more authentic and they are great fun to play with. These are my two favorites from the years listed, but an honerable mention goes to 8421 for it's overall impressiveness and inclusion of RC buggy motor and pneumatics. The only things that let it down for me is the manual boom rotation and pneumatic pump. Would have been great to see those functions also motorised with a second driving ring.

Edited by allanp

Thoughts:

Didn't expect 8043 to be so popular. I own it, and while I acknowledge the main mechanism is wonderfully complex (especially the treads being driven THROUGH the turn table), the shovel mechanism is way too weak :sad: But then again, I hate linear actuators.

On the other hand, I hated 8436 and 8297 and I am glad they are unpopular :devil:

My inclusion of 8461 was debatable since it was a re-coloring of 8458, but I remember 2002 vividly since it was the year I came out of my dark ages. And no new technic sets (that weren't re-releases) came out that year. Only 'racers'. I liked the RC buggy 8475, but it was no flagship.

8421 Mobile Crane was one of my votes, but over the years I remember many people slagging it for its weak lifting power out of the box - and they are right. However, it's an easy fix, just use a standard 24T gear instead of the (stupidly included) clutch 24t gear for the main winch drive - it will then almost lift its own weigth :devil:

Edited by SheepEater

Thoughts:

Didn't expect 8043 to be so popular. I own it, and while I acknowledge the main mechanism is wonderfully complex (especially the treads being driven THROUGH the turn table), the shovel mechanism is way too weak :sad: But then again, I hate linear actuators.

I hear that. The gearing is impressive and complex but I hate LAs. Luckily there is 8480, also has very impressive gearing (has to control 4 functions from one ungeared motor) and no LAs (plus it's white!).

8455 because it works flawlessly, has a lot of pneumatics and looks stunningly similar to the real thing.

8043 because it provides hours of fun, and is a challenging build, and because I don't have the dozer(yet...)

8110 because it's the most advanced set to date, with a lot of parts hence a long build. It's the only real sposored Technic set (afaik), and is the one that looks the most like the original. A big plus for including both pneumatics and motors. I only wish the building haven't been so straightforward.

8258 would be fourth, but I only wanted to vote on 3.

8258, 8043, 8110 since I only got into Technics a couple of years ago. I had to import 8258 into Canada. This flagship collecting can get expensive. :classic:

1: 8110 Unimog--Working suspension, engine, 4wd, large wheels, motorized compressor, pneumatic crane. Technic doesn't get much better.

2: 8258 Crane Truck--Fantastically complex, includes XL motor, and lots of gear. It's a great parts pack.

3. 8421 Mobile Crane--I don't have this, but large cranes are just plain cool.

I only have the 8043 Excavator, but I really want the Unimog for its many functions and parts and the Crawler because of its new motors and being able to drive it over stuff. :thumbup:

I would have to say the 8466 4x4 off-roader. Great suspension, great steering, 4 wheel drive, nice gearbox and motor and that metallic green color is one of the coolest LEGO colors ever (I wish I could get more). And its got some of the largest wheels ever put into a LEGO set.

But if I could, I would pick 1999's Super Street Sensation as the best. It was the set that brought me out of my dark ages and the perfect example of how a Technic super-car SHOULD be (unlike the last set to carry the "Supercar" name)

I would have to say the 8466 4x4 off-roader. Great suspension, great steering, 4 wheel drive, nice gearbox and motor and that metallic green color is one of the coolest LEGO colors ever (I wish I could get more). And its got some of the largest wheels ever put into a LEGO set.

But if I could, I would pick 1999's Super Street Sensation as the best. It was the set that brought me out of my dark ages and the perfect example of how a Technic super-car SHOULD be (unlike the last set to carry the "Supercar" name)

About the metallic green - it's funny how popular that color is now - back then in 2002 people complained how ugly it was. Little did we know we'd never see it again!

About the latest 8070 'supercar' - I have it, it's nice, but a shifting gearbox was REALLY missed; 8448 is miles ahead.

I'm gonna make a 90s poll soon but it's gonna be slightly different, I'm gonna include 2 sets per year for some years.

Edited by SheepEater

I have yet to build the 8043 Excavator, but when comparing the 8258 to the 8110 Unimog, the 8258 had a much better build quality and did not feel like it was going to break every time I touch it like the Unimog. Same goes for the 8070 Super which was a great model to build, but the final piece felt very flimsy and the battery box was not hidden behind nice panels like the 8258.

So I only voted for the 8258 Crane Truck since it is the best of the flagships I have built. The only other larger model to be as solid is the 9395 Tow Truck without the PF additions.

Edited by cgarison

8258 - Chosen because of the incredibly complex inner workings, the cool outriggers that actually work like real ones, and the doubly folding crane that is executed so well (even though it doesn't lift a lot). Also it's huge, and, again, looks very impressive.

If I had to pick one favorite I think it would be 8258.

couldn't say it better - but 8421 comes close behind - the lack of panels gives "him" in my eyes one of the best mixture between realistic look and the typical "lego look&feel" - the look of the 8258 is almost too perfect ;-)