Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

Well, i currently own 2 SES MSIB and 3 6285 BSB MSIB but i guess i'll wait for Sting to open more MSIB sets so mine will be worth more ;-)

Well, i currently own 2 SES MSIB and 3 6285 BSB MSIB but i guess i'll wait for Sting to open more MSIB sets so mine will be worth more ;-)

You're kidding, right?

TC

Hmm....... This seems like a tough decision. MISB are pretty rare now these days but they are meant to be but together thats the whole purpose of lego. I'd have to say it depends on the value or rarity of the set. But I guess you could keep a few MISB in a cryogenic case and keep it for a thousand years X-D .....MY two cents.

I'd probably open a little set like a raft and pirate set I have stashed away, but I wouldn't crack open a large ship.

Well, at first i would try not to, but then end up tearing it open in a frenzy of cardboard.

Seriously, why would i waste my money on a MISB Set? it would either be torn open, which kills the value or left to rot on display on a shelf, which is no fun at all.

I buy lego in order to build it and I'd NEVER leave a set unopened.

So the simple answer is: YES I'D OPEN IT.

KimT

I buy lego in order to build it and I'd NEVER leave a set unopened.

So the simple answer is: YES I'D OPEN IT.

KimT

Same here,

I'd always open it and build it :)

P

Edit:

Same kind of but what does MISB stand for

Does it meen vintage set?

MISB = Mint In Sealed Box ;-)

Edited by phred

Same here,

I'd always open it and build it :)

P

I've bought some older MISB sets off ebay and have always opened and built them. I want the set for my collection and not interested in re-selling and so I'm not concerned if the set loses value by opening.

MISB = Mint In Sealed Box

When MISB added to older sets like the pirates theme then it can considerably increase the price

I would sell them, take the money and buy the sets I just sold, only used. Then I'd have the sets, plus some extra cash. >8-)

It depends. I only open lego sets so I would only buy a MISB set if that was the only option I had. If I came across a MISB set, I'd just sell it to a collector who'd appreciate it's value and then buy a loose version of the set, oh and some extra imperial soldiers too! Only set I'd consider to open is the 1995 Imperial Guard set, Imperial Outpost. I've been looking to pick this set up lately, and I frequently see it on ebay for like a mere $5 more than a loose version. I'll spend the $5 and build the set from scratch, reminding me of when I had the set when I was younger.

My original goal when buying as many of the old school Imperial sets as possible, was to get them MISB. Of course I eventually found out that would be financially draining, X-D , so I'd say a good 1/3 of them are MISB. I just love opening the packaging and being the first to put together the glowing pieces. *wub*

I do understand the value aspect of it though, and always save the box or attempt to purchase the set with one, just in case I would ever need to resell, though I don't see that ever happening. >:-)

My max bid on ebay is always the most reasonable Bricklink price, and once it goes over that, I'm done. The latest Imperial Trading Post MISB on ebay went for a little over $600.

I used to have a big hang up on buying used, but as long as the pieces are in excellent condition (like the set had been built and displayed or packed away and then sold) I'll enjoy them just as much.

ANYWAY, would I open MISB? Yes! I have far too much fun with LEGO to leave them alone.

I don't buy sets with boxes or MISB if there's a cheaper one going - I go for the Lego, not the packaging! If I were to aquire a small MISB pirate set, then sure I'd open it. However, if it was a larger one where the difference between MISB and used is a large difference (forts, large bases, ships), I'd sell them and replace them with used version, so making a profit.

I don't buy sets with boxes or MISB if there's a cheaper one going - I go for the Lego, not the packaging! If I were to aquire a small MISB pirate set, then sure I'd open it. However, if it was a larger one where the difference between MISB and used is a large difference (forts, large bases, ships), I'd sell them and replace them with used version, so making a profit.

That's a really good idea. Like you said, though, the only MISB sets I was able to purchase were smaller in size.

But why would you destroy something that is rare when there is more than enough decent second hand LEGO sets thus enabling you to leave the MISB sets for the collectors who appreciate them for what they are?

Opening a MISB LEGO set is like going to museum and using the antiquities and artifacts for their intended purpose. Yes indeed these things were once created to be used, but that was a long time ago and now they are no longer in production and therefore irreplaceable. Sure LEGO is a toy and its original purpose was to be played with, but like the artifacts and antiques in the museums their significance changes with time.

If we never preserved anything from the past then we'd lose important parts of history. Pictures and recreations can only tell us so much but to actually have the authentic object is something truly special to behold.

Yeah ...

There's a difference between cultural heritage and LEGO, I like lego as much as the next man in this forum but not so much I would not open an MISB set. It's LEGO for christ's sake. Only been around for 50 or so years, and Lego Pirates only for 20. I wouldn't see the point trying to preserve it for future generations seeing as

1) it's a toy

2) it isn't exactly cultural world heritage

3) it isn't more than 2000 years old

But indeed, white fur tigers ought to run around and play and live as opposed to serving as decoration for some upper-class female canine. :-(

Well what it all comes down to is what type of person you are. Me I like to both play with and collect so when i buy a set, I try to get at least two of it. One to build and one to keep. This as you know gets expensive but since I have both the playful gene and the collecting gene this way fills both my needs.

The set I'm going to build just needs to be complete and in good condition. But the set I dont open I try to get it in as good of condition as possible.

But I see both sides of the story here, some people believe in the sanctity (figure of speech) of MISB sets and if they aquire them they will not open them for anything. On the other hand some people try and get MISB sets for the simple joy of opening the brand new boxes and bags and building a new set.

So again, it really comes down to what type of person you are.

I would sell the misb set and just buy a used one of the same set - if it was the set I was after. (Make some monies!)

Open it! Immediatly!

Lego is for building stuff, not sit around on a shelf in a box.

I agree 100%!!

I would keep it sealed in the box becuase they are pretty valuable. I always buy used old sets becuase they are cheaper and give me more joy than an MISB one.

However I only owned one MISB pirate set and I opened it :-D Armada sentry I think

It depends, some or worth more than others, if it was a MISB SES I would open it becuase thats a sweet set but if it was a ITP I would leave it sealed becuase its nice but not nice enough for me to open it

P

I wuld open any MISB set as soon as I got it. Wheres the fun in looking at the box?

I would rather own a great set to play and Mod with, than just have an unopened box collecting dust on a shelf, only to sell it one day.

Clearly Batbrick's mind has turned to mush! *wacko*