Poor Adam :sad:

It's really not fair that people are having a go at him for this.

I really hope the sets not canceled because of this.

If it is, we know who's fault it is.

I would have though people would be overjoyed if something they came up with is used in a set, but

yet they decide to boycott a LEGO Designer and push him so far that he's actually using caps.

I'm still looking forward to buying this set in September. It looks really good :thumbup:

Who is boycotting anything? So far I didn't see one person claim that they were not planning on purchasing this set because it may or may have not been based off of something else. And they are not going to cancel a set because a few people at eurobricks were asking questions about it's origin.

For the record the Monster Fighter Haunted House looks way better than the 2 sand green MOCs it is/was being compared to.

Edited by sharky

My poor wallet....:wacko: When the sets were still only just rumors I already imagined this Monster Fighters could could include some superb sets... I am not disappointed so far. Though I dont think I will be buying the whole line.. it will be rather or .. or... or the Hearse, or the Zombies... and in this case: or the Haunted House, or Dracs castle... both have their pro's , and minifigs I would like to have. I am not planning to buy the ghosttrain, but since there seem to be polybags with ghosts comming up, those flying sheets might be rather well available.. In that case I guess I will rather go for the castle instead of the house.

But this has nothing to do with the qualities of the haunted house, it is superb... but rather the limitations of my Lego budget oblige me to choose...

Just for the record, in case anybody thought I was bashing the designer's color choices, my post about the colors of the three big media houses was not meant as a complaint about THIS house's color. I actually think the sand green is a very fitting color. I was just making a factual correction to a post that claimed all three of the "historical" houses were themselves sand green. Because they weren't.

If anybody, especially the designer himself, thought this was a slam on his design, I'm very sorry. 10228 is an AMAZING design, a perfect color, and a set that I will definitely save up my pennies for. And although I think there are some elements of the design that are very similar to the other house, there are also many distinct elements. I don't doubt the designer's sincerity here.

So I think we can safely assume that the ghost polybag is going to be a promo for 10228? It certainly would fit, since it includes an extra ghost fig and a clock that would fit perfectly inside the house. LEGO did something similar with the excellent 2012 Sopwith Camel.

Frankly, I really hope that's the purpose of the ghost polybag, since I'm really loving it! And it gives me all the more reason to pick this beauty up in September.

who cares about a stupid haunted house make me a PREDATOR!!!!

Please don't clutter the thread with unrelated comments.

Are the ghosts the only GITD pieces in this set? It seems very un-MF for those to be the only ones.

Lord Vampyre and his bride have GITD heads, but I think that's about it...

Im not sure it was intended to be 100% directly related to the 'playset' style of the rest of the MF line, more directed at the AFOL audience, but with the ability for the children to enjoy it as a 'huge playset' with just enough play features, the amount of minifigs and the certain amount of detail put into it.

With that in mind that it isn't mainly intended as a playset, but at the AFOL, the GITD pieces don't have as much of an enticement about them as kids would usually find, as the many other details that are put into getting the most authentic 'haunted house' look possible that the AFOLs would more appreciate. Perhaps trying to squeeze more GITD pieces for the sake of more GITD pieces would have ended up making it look cluttered and those pieces might have seemed out of place? as well as having to add extra cost on, or taking away from some of the other more necessary pieces to create the haunted house look to the high detail that has currently been made.

I don't honestly know, this is just my opinion...

When I first heard the rumor of a potential Haunted House set, I was excited. When I first saw the official set, I was impressed and amazed. Then I looked at the price. It is really high for my budget, even though it is reasonable compared to piece count and a few exclusive figures. I originally planned on getting the castle because of the neat structure, but also because of the figures (and, of course, the price). But now looking at the House I can see I'd much rather have this built and displayed than the Castle. Even if I don't build/display it, I would rather have a lot of sand green bricks for other MOCs.

Time to save up some more money than I was originally anticipating.

Please don't clutter the thread with unrelated comments.

Are you a MOD? If so your name doesn't display it and i would be more circumspect about the chastisement

And if you look closely its very related as 4 or 5 posts directly above my post an individual posted pictures of a lego predator in direct attribution to the designers skill...hence my comment. My next 4 posts were explicitly about the haunted house set, so its not like i "clutter" the thread....fact 40 posts later mentioning it is directly cluttering this thread with unnecessary comments.

Back to the issue at hand, I really think Lego has really done an excellent job not only on this House but the Monsters theme as a whole...

Edited by natesroom

It wasn't that people here were bashing the set because they didn't like it. They flat out accused the designer of plagiarism. That's a pretty serious offense for not even knowing anything of the timeline for 10228. That would certainly make me mad. After spending months(maybe years) and having such a great final product, then he gets word that people are accusing him... For the record, before this thread, I never saw that haunted house.

Adam, don't let those people get you down or upset(anymore than you are...) because you have created a brilliant and definitely one of the top sets to ever be released. A job well done. :classic::thumbup:

maybe a bit off topic because not about the set itself but:

I just read through the rest of this tread, and am a bit surprised by Adams reactions as posted via Kris.

I fully understand he is a bit upset or even annoyed by the fact some were seeing ,lets call it similarities, between his creation and an old moc. But the tone of his reaction, his choice of words seems to be rather emotional, even a bit harsh sometimes.

Lego having its family friendly image, and going through a lot of effort to defend that (see some of the reasons why they reject some CUUSO projects), its a bit strange they permit an employe, in this case even the sets designer, and thus a kind of company spokesman, to make declarations like this. One would expect a more neutral statement.. even revised by TLG's pr department...

Lets hope Adam isnt getting into trouble for this. Afterall he seems to be behind some beloved pieces in our collections..

Edited by J.V.D.

It wasn't that people here were bashing the set because they didn't like it. They flat out accused the designer of plagiarism. That's a pretty serious offense for not even knowing anything of the timeline for 10228. That would certainly make me mad. After spending months(maybe years) and having such a great final product, then he gets word that people are accusing him... For the record, before this thread, I never saw that haunted house.

Adam, don't let those people get you down or upset(anymore than you are...) because you have created a brilliant and definitely one of the top sets to ever be released. A job well done. :classic::thumbup:

You guys really need to quit continuing to bring up terms like Plagiarism, Stealing, and Ripped Off. I don't recall anyone actually using any of those words except for people that have been repeatedly defending the designer... And the ones that had been previously talking about the similarities have not even been posting about it anymore, so why keep talking about this?

I'll be the first to admit that when I seen the pictures side by side the 10228 most definitely looked inspired by the older MOC, but if the designer said he never seen it and didn't use any ideas, then I respect that and believe him...

But continuing to keep bringing up these ugly words that were never even used by anyone isn't helping the cause here...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Ignoring all the complaints and arguing, I must say this set is absolutely divine. This may be one of the best sets ever released by TLG. I now know where my VIP Points are going :grin: .

The set looks fantastic and the more I look at it, the more I want it.

Very hard to resist considering I initially had no interest in the theme at all.

There are similarities between the houses, and differences. Not enough to convince me the idea was ripped off. There may have been some inspiration from somewhere else or it might be coincidental but either way, it is an awesome set and I am glad we have an opportunity to buy it!

You guys really need to quit continuing to bring up terms like Plagiarism, Stealing, and Ripped Off. I don't recall anyone actually using any of those words except for people that have been repeatedly defending the designer... And the ones that had been previously talking about the similarities have not even been posting about it anymore, so why keep talking about this?

I'll be the first to admit that when I seen the pictures side by side the 10228 most definitely looked inspired by the older MOC, but if the designer said he never seen it and didn't use any ideas, then I respect that and believe him...

But continuing to keep bringing up these ugly words that were never even used by anyone isn't helping the cause here...

See post 132.

Ok, 1 guy said Plagiarism, but that was also 4 days ago and pages before the designer's comments were posted and since then various other people have been using words like Steal and Rip-off when they don't have to continue to do so because as far as I can tell the entire issue has been dropped... So there is no need to continue to bring it up anymore...

Ridiculous price increase for 10228 on the German s@h page.

Announced for 149 EURO here on Eurobricks, it costs there 179 EURO now (release Sept,1st).

http://shop.lego.com/de-DE/Geisterhaus-10228

With the same piece amount as the Pet Shop the price sounded fair.

Now they ask as much as the Town Hall for it. :thumbdown:

Ridiculous.

For 179 Euro I'm not going to buy it! Definitely NOT!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is just really stupid.

It is not a licensed set and has fewer pieces than most Modulars that are EUR 149.99

Besides the press release clearly stated 149.99

In British Pounds it still is GBP 119.99 (as stated in the press release) which is about 150 euros

What I did is go to service.lego.com and file a complaint. Let's all do that!

Let`s try to find something optimistic in this whole situation :thumbup:

We all can agree that the price of this set is just insane :laugh:

Let`s try to find something optimistic in this whole situation pirate_thumbup.gif

We all can agree that the price of this set is just insane default_laugh_new.gif

I really think it is an error. Otherwise it also would have been GBP 139.99

Ridiculous price increase for 10228 on the German s@h page.

Announced for 149 EURO here on Eurobricks, it costs there 179 EURO now (release Sept,1st).

http://shop.lego.com/de-DE/Geisterhaus-10228

With the same piece amount as the Pet Shop the price sounded fair.

Now they ask as much as the Town Hall for it. :thumbdown:

Ridiculous.

For 179 Euro I'm not going to buy it! Definitely NOT!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This is just really stupid.

It is not a licensed set and has fewer pieces than most Modulars that are EUR 149.99

Besides the press release clearly stated 149.99

In British Pounds it still is GBP 119.99 (as stated in the press release) which is about 150 euros

What I did is go to service.lego.com and file a complaint. Let's all do that!

We win. The Australian price is AUD$269.95. That's at today's exchange rate about. $275USD, £175GBP, €218EURO. How many of you would buy it at these prices.

That puts it at the same price as our pet shop.

Pretty sure Australia has the most expensive Leo in the world.

Just noticed the New Zealand has it for $299.95NZD which is $235AUD so may even pay to fly some from over the Tasman sea.

So you Europeans and Americans stop complaining, and leave that to the Aussies.

Edited by BrettBrick