wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I'd go with:

1. Goblin soldier

2. Orc (Mordor or Hunter, either is fine)

3a. Soldier of Gondor (printed armour piece and new helmet)

3b. Ranger of Ithilien

I love LOTR, and I have watched all three movies over and over again countless time yet LOTR is my least favorite Lego theme ever. First off, Lego Helm Deep was my first Lego set ever and I was more than disappointed. Helm deep was extremely small and narrow. First of, the main gate should be at least 2 story high like in the movie. If it was one story why would the Urk Hai even need ladder? Before I go any further, Lego box had false advertisement showing that the throne room was taller than the main gate which was not true at all. Another thing was the catwalk or walkway was extremely narrow 3 x 3 stud instead of at least 6 x 6 stud so very few minifigs could be station up there. While LOTR Helm Deep is a nice looking set it doesn't offer any real play-ability but more as a collector items and as a model. There are no base-pate and the bridge connecting the main gate to the throne room does not stay connect, which is really a flaw and a bit lazy design for Lego standard. Helm Deep is also extremely overprice.

Maybe it just me but almost every LOTR sets are more like model than play-ability. Am I the only one disappointed with this Lego theme?

I am very impressed with the LOTR line. I find the figs are amazing and so are the sets. One of my overall favorite themes ever. If Lego had made Helms Deep movie accurate it would cost at least 100 dollars more. The LOTR sets are much more playable than most themes. I'm sorry you didn't like the Helms Deep set, but personally I love the LOTR line.

I have to agree with Infernum. It sounds like you're setting your expectations way to high for a toy. And I would hardly call the images on the package "false advertising"; if that's the case then many, many other toys are just as guilty.

Well the great thing about LEGO is that you can build it however you want! So if you really want to build the gate higher, there is no one stopping you :thumbup:

Also to say it is overpriced is a bit of a stretch. I think it is a fair price for what it is by piece count and including that it is a licensed set.

If you think it's overpriced as it is now (and it's not really by that much, it practically nails the 10 cents per piece ratio that's uncommon as it is nowadays, much less for a licensed set with 8 figs) can you imagine how much it would cost if it were designed like you're suggesting? :tongue: I'm personally impressed with the model, and the entire line in general.

First off, Lego Helm Deep was my first Lego set ever and I was more than disappointed. Helm deep was extremely small and narrow.

No offence, but you are in for a lot of disappointments in this hobby. If that's your reaction to The Battle of Helm's Deep, I suspect very few Lego sets can bring you much satisfaction.

(though I agree that it is a bit misleading that the throne room wall appears as higher than the outer wall in the front of the box, I've noticed that too)

Firstly, you have to remember that you tend to get a bit less bang for your buck out of Lego licensed sets than those designed around in-house themes where Lego doesn't have to pay a licensing fee.

Also, Lego does have a number of larger sets with very impressive piece counts and adult build techniques targetted at an older audience (there just isn't anything available yet for LOTOR in this category). They're usually limited to Lego brand stores or Shop at Home though.

Finally, the beauty of Lego is that if you want a bigger Helm's Deep there's no reason you can't buy two sets and combine them, or even take elements of other sets and add them together.

As long as the polybag could be used as an army builder, I would love anything. But I will continue to pass on polybags of unique Lord of the Rings characters. I plan on buy every set anyway. I think the Frodo and Gandalf polybags are designed as an entry point for those still in the Dark Ages. Tempt them with a $5 LotR character and perhaps they will buy more.

I dd buy the Thor polybag but that was because I have no plans on buying any of the giant sets he is in.

My ideal Army Builder set would be Hama and an unnamed Rohan soldier (not archer) versus two goblins with one brown warg.

I just got back from my local TRU today and it seems they finally put out ALL the Hobbit sets, including the Barrel Escape set! I quickly snatched everything up as TRU is currently running a buy one, get one 50% off sale. Even with marked up TRU prices it still comes out to be about 10-18% off MSRP for most sets. I also picked up 10 more Mirkwood Elf Guard polybags, and 2 Gandalf polybags since EVERYTHING was on sale.

Congrats! Any idea how long that BOGO lasts?

I think there is one valid point in there, that the LOTR theme does have less emphasis on playability than some others. Almost all the LOTR sets are great-looking models, but they don't have the swoosh of Star Wars, the cartoony vibrancy of Superheroes, or anywhere near the same number of play features as Monster Fighters.

Part of this is to do with the source material, which is full of grand buildings and epic battles but isn't nearly as colorful and "explodey" as things like Avengers or Star Wars. And partly because of that, LOTR is designed to appeal to older children and adults much more than most Lego themes. So it's a matter of taste in the end. Do you like action features and bright colors? There are many other Lego themes that will suit you better than LOTR.

Your other complaints about the set, though, are all related to the size and cost of the set, and I think it's a bit unfair to expect UCS accuracy from a set this size. A movie-accurate Helm's Deep would cost several hundred dollars. Even a more accurately scaled Weathertop would cost double what the actual Weathertop set goes for. Making sets that expensive would have been a disaster for TLG if the theme hadn't sold well.

Finally, the beauty of Lego is that if you want a bigger Helm's Deep there's no reason you can't buy two sets and combine them, or even take elements of other sets and add them together.

I really like the LOTR line, and I would like to see a Helm's Deep made from 2 sets.

Andy D

Congrats! Any idea how long that BOGO lasts?

Said through Dec 1 on the signs in the store.

Licensed stuff turns me off in general. I greatly prefer Lego's in house stuff. There's nothing specific that turns me off of LOTR and I totally understand those who are into it but it's just not for me.

I think there is one valid point in there, that the LOTR theme does have less emphasis on playability than some others. Almost all the LOTR sets are great-looking models, but they don't have the swoosh of Star Wars, the cartoony vibrancy of Superheroes, or anywhere near the same number of play features as Monster Fighters.

Part of this is to do with the source material, which is full of grand buildings and epic battles but isn't nearly as colorful and "explodey" as things like Avengers or Star Wars. And partly because of that, LOTR is designed to appeal to older children and adults much more than most Lego themes. So it's a matter of taste in the end. Do you like action features and bright colors? There are many other Lego themes that will suit you better than LOTR.

Your other complaints about the set, though, are all related to the size and cost of the set, and I think it's a bit unfair to expect UCS accuracy from a set this size. A movie-accurate Helm's Deep would cost several hundred dollars. Even a more accurately scaled Weathertop would cost double what the actual Weathertop set goes for. Making sets that expensive would have been a disaster for TLG if the theme hadn't sold well.

This is exactly what I'm saying. I don't expect Helm Deep to be a UCS but it no bigger than any other Lego castle ever produced without the Urk Hai army wall. I didn't think off combining 2 Helm Deep to make one bigger. I could have gotten 2 more for $140 combine. I think I will do that to make it a even bigger Helm Deep. Thanks for the advice.

Would have prefer Helm Deep to look like this....http://www.geekosystem.com/lego-helms-deep/#3 Easily $700 for me. Of course that would be my dream Helm Deep but I though For $130 (retail price, not what I pay for) it would be at least a significantly bigger than a $100 dollars King castle.

Edited by Chri5kng

Yes, you are the only one that is not impressed with the LOTR line. I've been waiting years, even well before the movies, for a LOTR Lego line and I'm happy to say that Lego delivered very well with this line.

I'm not sure how you think Helm's Deep is overpriced - it's actually right at the ideal 10 cents per brick price-point. Lego has to have a ceiling. For as much as I'd like a Helm's Deep that takes up a whole dining room table, I know that's not realistic with what they can offer at retail.

Edited by Hawkman

I don't think there is an afol here who can say they are completely impressed with any theme and/or sets that comes out. You got to remind yourself that Lego is a toy, and many parents aren't going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a detailed accurate set, like an afol would. As a kid my parents never spent more than 10 dollars on a set for me :( But with that said, LOTR (and all recent themes for that matter) have continued to produce new and exciting figs and molds that allow for better MOCing, customization, etc. As an afol, that's all I care for.

The mini figs look great but that's where my admiration of the LOTR set ends. I bought Gandalf arrives, since it can be integrated into many different scenes, but I won't be buying any more LOTR Lego.

Yes, you are the only one that is not impressed with the LOTR line. I've been waiting years, even well before the movies, for a LOTR Lego line and I'm happy to say that Lego delivered very well with this line.

I'm not sure how you think Helm's Deep is overpriced - it's actually right at the ideal 10 cents per brick price-point. Lego has to have a ceiling. For as much as I'd like a Helm's Deep that takes up a whole dining room table, I know that's not realistic with what they can offer at retail.

Don't get me wrong I love Lego and I think it the greatest toys ever created. I also don't believe any toys now or in the near future will have its own theme park either. Personally for me, I disregard the piece count because I do not do any modular build so for me it how big the set is. Even if they use a few big pieces versus more small pieces, in the end what count for me is how big the set is. For $130, Helm Deep regardless of cents per brick is not that much bigger than King Castle which retail at $100. From that perspective I feel it could be a bit bigger. I know I'm the minority here and most of you guys are AFOL, so these set are likely to be put on display but for me at least without more Helm Deep set is just not good enough for a huge battle scene.

I love LOTR, and I have watched all three movies over and over again countless time yet LOTR is my least favorite Lego theme ever. First off, Lego Helm Deep was my first Lego set ever and I was more than disappointed. Helm deep was extremely small and narrow. First of, the main gate should be at least 2 story high like in the movie. If it was one story why would the Urk Hai even need ladder? Before I go any further, Lego box had false advertisement showing that the throne room was taller than the main gate which was not true at all. Another thing was the catwalk or walkway was extremely narrow 3 x 3 stud instead of at least 6 x 6 stud so very few minifigs could be station up there. While LOTR Helm Deep is a nice looking set it doesn't offer any real play-ability but more as a collector items and as a model. There are no base-pate and the bridge connecting the main gate to the throne room does not stay connect, which is really a flaw and a bit lazy design for Lego standard. Helm Deep is also extremely overprice.

Maybe it just me but almost every LOTR sets are more like model than play-ability. Am I the only one disappointed with this Lego theme?

General LoTR discussion belongs in the LoTR & Hobbit thread. Merged topic

The Hobbit sets online and availible now at LEGO online!!!

http://shop.lego.com...-Hobbit-ByTheme

Thanks for the info, now also available on S@H.au! Here are the official Aussie prices (I think I saw tentative or at least an online vendor's pre-order price a couple of weeks ago):

79000 Riddles for the Ring $19.99 ($3 less than Gandalf Arrives)

79001 Escape from Mirkwoodâ„¢ Spiders $49.99 ($10 more than Shelob, $10 less than Uruk Hai)

79002 Attack of the Wargs $99.99 ($10 more than Weathertop)

79003 An Unexpected Gathering $119.99 (same as Mines Of Moria)

79004 Barrel Escape $69.99 (same as Orc Forge)

79010 The Goblin King Battle $149.99

With free standard shipping at the moment, now isn't a bad time to order (unless you want to wait for the sales).

edit - getting my facts straight...er

Edited by Artanis I

Thanks for the info, now also available on S@H.au! Here are the official Aussie prices (I think I saw tentative or at least an online vendor's pre-order price a couple of weeks ago):

79000 Riddles for the Ring $19.99 (same as Gandalf Arrives)

79001 Escape from Mirkwoodâ„¢ Spiders $49.99 ($10 more than Shelob, $10 less than Uruk Hai)

79002 Attack of the Wargs $99.99 ($10 more than Weathertop)

79003 An Unexpected Gathering $119.99 (same as Mines Of Moria)

79004 Barrel Escape $69.99 (same as Orc Forge)

79010 The Goblin King Battle $149.99

With free standard shipping at the moment, now isn't a bad time to order (unless you want to wait for the sales).

And here are the per/ piece prices. Attack of the Wargs takes the "top" spot at exactly 25 cents per piece.

8222462073_65cfeb6795.jpg