Nope, the gray parts are the ones included in the set. I would like to buy the black ones to increase steering angle. It seems to consist of three different parts and I need to know how they are called or their spec. numbers in order to find and buy them on ebay. And also can they be used in the set without any further mod.

Thanks!!

Edited by ddimkin

Nope, the gray parts are the ones included in the set. I would like to buy the black ones to increase steering angle. It seems to consist of three different parts and I need to know how they are called or their spec. numbers in order to find and buy them on ebay. And also can they be used in the set without any further mod.

Thanks!!

Why do I suspect someone has not heard of Bricklink?.... :snicker:

Sorry, not a native English speaker and I don't know which keywords to use for my search on bricklink or ebay :classic:

The black gear rack seems to be it - just not sure if it is the exact same size as on the video. Also there are two small red axles and the small black parts that are connected to the gear rack via the red axles. How are these axles and small black parts called?

I am just expecting my crawler to arrive and I am planing a really nice mod - already bought custom tires, Li-ion battery, 8/24 gears, will increase voltage a bit and modify to LSD diff :) so last mod left is the steering angle so I can direct it better when crawling :classic:

Thanks a lot!!

Edited by ddimkin

You will need two of these connecters in black:

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=32013 32013.jpg?0 Part number 32013.

Two of these in red:

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=32062 32062.jpg?0Part number 32062.

And one of these:

http://www.bricklink...m.asp?P=64781�� 64781.jpg?1 Part number 64781.

Hope this helps. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Just building mine, and it's a lot of fun to play with!

Also, something minor, but mine did NOT come with the instruction addendum sheet that highlights a few important steps to help avoid common mistakes. Only the three instruction booklets were included. Was anyone else missing theirs?

Just the 3 standard manuals with mine - wasn´t aware there was a supplelement. In any case they could really have got away with two manuals as the front and back chassis assemblies are mirror images.

Just picked up this set from ToysRUs. I was not planning on buying anything but that's how it goes right :laugh: Their website said my store was out of stock but they had one left on clearance for $160. It felt like nobody wanted the poor thing so it came home with me.

I'm already planning to swap out the white pieces but I'm unsure on which design to go for. What do you guys think?

14751398856_9e3c3ea451_b.jpg

Though I love the orange parts but the all black body looks really good!

(same happened to me - saw one online complete but with damaged box (it arrived perfect condition) for about half price)

Edited by Rockbrick

On 5/15/2014 at 10:38 PM, rm8 said:

The most powerful 9398 crawler

@RM8 Do you have a some sort of an instruction manual on how to assemble this?

Have looked and found the components but need some help on how it goes together.

18 minutes ago, 75XBFalcon said:

@RM8 Do you have a some sort of an instruction manual on how to assemble this?

Have looked and found the components but need some help on how it goes together.

unfortunately, no

This is the performance we are looking for! Out of the box it's way too slow.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, rm8 said:

unfortunately, no

I spend some time to make the LDD version of it: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/9398-4199-crawler-mods/Crawler Axle with the Buggy Motor.lxf

640x427.jpg

Also, I rebuild it a bit by adding front skews (I didn't like so rectangular front end that stuck in obstacles) and increased the width: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/9398-4199-crawler-mods/Crawler Axle with the Buggy Motor v2.lxf

640x427.jpg

4 hours ago, Void_S said:

I spend some time to make the LDD version of it: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/9398-4199-crawler-mods/Crawler Axle with the Buggy Motor.lxf

640x427.jpg

Also, I rebuild it a bit by adding front skews (I didn't like so rectangular front end that stuck in obstacles) and increased the width: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/9398-4199-crawler-mods/Crawler Axle with the Buggy Motor v2.lxf

640x427.jpg

I checked your LXF file and I think your gears are not well braced. The first 20 tooth gear going from the RC motor will skip... It's easy to make stuff in LDD only, but I suggest you to always build in real life in parallel. At least that's how I do it :)

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I checked your LXF file and I think your gears are not well braced. The first 20 tooth gear going from the RC motor will skip... It's easy to make stuff in LDD only, but I suggest you to always build in real life in parallel. At least that's how I do it :)

Yes, it clicks for sure (I've built it physically first). This connection isn't perfect but I just reproduced the original assembly of RM8. You may see how it was done in his video (2:38). And... I think you hadn't to quote the images).

I like RM8's idea in general, but is still trying to make it more braced and more compact, however, it's not an easy task because of the buggy motor shape...

Edited by Void_S

The most difficult part here is to connect battery boxes to each other. If it's necessary.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, Void_S said:

I like RM8's idea in general, but is still trying to make it more braced and more compact, however, it's not an easy task because of the buggy motor shape…

It took a while, but I managed to make more compact and rigid, and, as a bonus, keeping the most possible original parts of the 9398 axle. I'd like to excuse for possible wrong actions, so moderators, please, move these post into a new topic if you decided that it's not a general 9398 4x4 Crawler discussion.

Here is the 2.0 version of RM8's axle mode with a buggy motor: https://bricksafe.com/files/Void_s/9398-4199-crawler-mods/Axle with a Buggy Motor.lxf

[x]

This one is more like a buggy axle rather a crawler, as it uses a fast motor output and has the following gearing scheme: 20:28 + 12:20 + 8:24 (1/7 of the buggy motor fast output).

I didn't add any diff locks and left them opened as the crawler is fast and powerful enough to climb over the obstacles "on the go", using its power together with torque (I just afraid that the buggy motor may broke the locked axle).

[x]

Here is the half-disassembled image with a trick that allows the gears to never click or grind each other - take a look at the 5L thin beam that keeps it stick to the diff. I tested it even pushing the wall in my house - no one gear ever clicked, only the tires started jumping (wheel hop, if you know).

[x]

Edited by Void_S
Images are broken...

Since a year (and even more) I found that I have something unfinished. I made a better version of the Crawler axle with buggy motor that is:

• compact (has the same dimensions as the original one). I like the version presented by @rm8 but it had a very long "nose" as the motor itself protrudes way forward so it may touch the obstacles especially with original-sized wheels. So now it's not!
  • faster. I changed the gearing and now it works from the fast output, next via 20:28 (to diff), next to 12:20 and 8:24 in portal hubs, so 1:7 in total.
    Powerful enough to twist some axles in portal hubs when stall by hard and fast enough to make some burnout at "ludicrous" mode of BuWizz. Really, the burnout of 41999 Boss Crawler is great! :grin:

And, all in all, despite some strange solution it is still well-braced, as used part friction is enough to keep the gears in place.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-34607/VoidSerpent/939841999-axle-with-buggy-motor/#comments

800x450.jpg

And in comparison with the original axle assembly (red vs blue):

800x450.jpg

To admins and moderators: sorry if I revived the old dust here but I couldn't leave it unfinished especially as some peoples (like me) were expecting some building instructions for "the most powerful 9398".

Edited by Void_S

Oohh, I got two buggy motors laying around eating dust... and I have 9398... a perfect reason to finally spend some bucks on a buwizz or 2 :grin::innocent2:

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Oohh, I got two buggy motors laying around eating dust... and I have 9398... a perfect reason to finally spend some bucks on a buwizz or 2 :grin::innocent2:

Yeah, that were literally my thoughts when I got my BuWizz and was thinking about where should I put it :thumbup:
I added a small powerbank to them as buggy motors drains even BuWizz faster than I would like and... Be careful as this beast has a lot of power but no brakes at all!

This is my version ... I only changed the 8/24 hub gear, at the moment I use the 8878 battery but I would like to mount its original 9v. I would like to remove the differentials, does anyone have any photos or a file where you can see this change?

Edited by RichTech