Rufus

21102 LEGO CUUSOO Minecraft

I can't help but wonder what percentage of the 10,000+ people who supported this will actually buy it. That's gotta be a tough ratio for LEGO to have to straddle.

Sorta makes me question the entire CUUSOO platform, really. Although I don't think I like croudsourcing as a product idea generating mechanism in general. It just seems so rife with potential badness. I mean, I can see why LEGO set the consideration threshold at 10,000, if only to keep them from having to review much of anything anything [because what will ever get that high?], but the real danger starts if and when they actually do. Because in order for anything to get close to that, it needs major saturation or exposure or whatever, people who will see and support, but those have to be people from outside of LEGO communities. I feel like such an absolutely tiny percentage of supporters will spend any money when something comes to fruition. I've seen this before where a creator becomes aware of some vote among fans about what license for a company to get, and the creator gets people mobilized and gets the vote pushed through, but those voting, while fans of said property, were not fans of the platform, so the produced product despite however many votes ended up being a flop.

But then, LEGO doesn't guarantee they'll make whatever gets to 10,000, so maybe I'm just wasting my time pondering nothing.

Something to keep in mind is that even if only some of the people who voted for it are going to buy it, there are going to be plenty of people who didn't vote for it who might buy it anyway. From my experience at college, I'm more likely to run into a Minecraft fan in my day-to-day life than a LEGO fan. And unlike LEGO, where adult fans are a severe minority, Minecraft fans cover a broad swath of ages and interests.

I'm not sure if it's a celebrated cultural icon in Japan, but I know that until I saw the set I'd never heard of the Shinkai 6500. But evidently it did well enough that sets continued to be released through LEGO Cuusoo. I think it's extremely likely that Minecraft has a stronger presence in the public consciousness than the Shinkai 6500, or the Hayabusa. So I see no reason to think it will sell more poorly than either of those.

Cuusoo is just a nice way to get new ideas for Lego. The votes is just a filter. Lego can choose not to release a set that gets >10k votes, and presumably they can choose to release something that gets 1 vote if they think it really works well and fits their portfolio. The 10k just reduces the noise.

I am sure it will be in microscale notice how a block is represented by two 1x1 titles (maybe we will get new printed microfigs for Creeper and Steve?).

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I am sure it will be in microscale notice how a block is represented by two 1x1 titles (maybe we will get new printed microfigs for Creeper and Steve?).

How do you know a block is represented by those pieces? They haven't unveiled the set yet...

Apparently can order it here: https://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft

Help Steve survive his first night in a strange new world. Avoid the creeper and start mining for resources that will help you survive and thrive. Configure your four micro-scale LEGO Minecraft modules any way you like. Build your own mines and hills, and expand your world with multiple sets. Includes four LEGO Minecraft modules, hidden resources, extra pieces for wood, dirt, and stone, two "Micro Mobs;" Steve and a creeper

Looks very simple to me. Maybe because I would prefer a complex model such as the Hayubusa or the modular Western theme set currently on Cuusoo.

Can separate into 4 separate modules which you can arranged any way you want.

Pictures of the set are up on FBTB's flickr. Actually looks like a pretty decent parts pack for the price, and I think the little dude features side printing on 1x1 plates!

I'm actually quite impressed with the set, its much better than I expected although the pieces would probably be cheaper to order from Bricklink. And that creeper head reminds me of space invaders for some reason! :laugh:

The shape of the box is also pretty fitting to the set!

Edited by TheKingOfBuilding

There is no doubt that it is a good representation of the screenshots I have seen for minecraft, There is also an art and style all of its own and I can see it isn't necessarily as simplistic as it first looks as each structure has to compliment and blend in with the next.

However I said the other night there that Ninjago was lego marmite. I rescind that and proclaim this to be. I appreciate its qualities but it's not for me and I won't be buying it

Well, as it was pretty much a given this would never see release as a minifigure scale line of sets, this is pretty much the best it will ever get otherwise. Which is fantastic!

This will be the first ever set that I will get just for displaying purposes (and a second one to expand on the original perhaps ;) ).

Although I'd have liked my earlier boardgame idea a little bit more ^^

Be well all!

Cutty

From Andrew Arnold PR and Communications Manager,LEGO Community, Education and Direct

LEGO® Minecraft, Micro World details unveiled, available for pre-order

BILLUND, Denmark The LEGO Group and Mojang have released purchase details and pictures of the LEGO® Minecraft Micro World today.

The new set, which was the first to receive 10,000 votes of support from users on the global LEGO CUUSOO idea collection platform, will be available for purchase in summer 2012, but can be pre-ordered from today, exclusively through Mojang retail partner Jinx.com for $34.95 €34.95 at http://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft. The sets will also be sold in select LEGO brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop from summer 2012.

LEGO Minecraft Micro World is designed to celebrate the essence of the LEGO concept and the Minecraft gaming experience,said Paal Smith-Meyer, Head of the LEGO New Business Group. Each set features four cubic modular vignettes that can be connected to recreate the Minecraft experience in LEGO bricks. One Minecraft block is represented as one 1x1 LEGO plate with a tile on top - not a perfect cube, but the best approximation at the chosen scale.

LEGO Minecraft Micro World includes two of Minecraft's most iconic characters, Steve and a Creeper, represented as "Micro Mobs." The model presents a standard for building a Minecraft world that can be configured any way the builder likes.

The surface of the modules comes off to reveal mines and hidden resources beneath. Fans can build their own landscapes, stack cubes on top of each other, to build the world of Minecraft as they wish.

The product was developed in collaboration with four LEGO fans: Chris Malloy, Michael Thomas, Kyle Tingey, and Bjarne Panduro Tveskov. These fans developed concepts alongside LEGO designers and helped shape the product into its final version.

Upon seeing the physical model the first time, Mojang founder Markus "Notch" Persson exclaimed: "Woohoo!"

LEGO CUUSOO is a website where LEGO fans can submit their ideas for new LEGO products and collect votes to make their ideas become a reality. They can also vote for other users’ ideas. It can be found at http://lego.cuusoo.com.

Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become part of the LEGO Group's product portfolio. Consumers who have their ideas chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product.

Mojang will donate the 1% proceeds from LEGO CUUSOO to charity.

For more on the co-creation process for LEGO Minecraft Micro World, see the LEGO CUUSOO blog at http://legocuusoo.posterous.com.

Love it! I can't wait to have it displayed on my desk, with lots of added tiles as well! The micro-figs are great! :thumbup:

So is that £35.00 for the UK?

Official Launch Trailer and more pictures:

Today Carl, Notch, Jeb, Jon and I are at the Bella Center in Copenhagen for LEGOworld to unveil LEGO Minecraft. We are extremely happy with how it turned out and are excited to show you!

DSCF1265-199x300.jpg

LEGO Minecraft is NOW available for pre-order on http://jinx.com/LEGOminecraft

DSCF12691-300x199.jpg

Make sure you keep updated with all the latest news about it on the LEGO Minecraft page — http://www.facebook.com/legominecraft

DSCF1272-300x199.jpg

Source: Clicky

EDIT:

More Pictures on their Facebook Page.

419945_297743706957045_250707394994010_860752_708817444_n.jpg

409493_297743743623708_250707394994010_860753_2130206335_n.jpg

394161_297743853623697_250707394994010_860756_1718706575_n.jpg

Edited by Eskallon

Hahahahahaha - I love the video! (Especially the bit where he adds an "S" to LEGO and then deletes it...)

I wasn't expecting much out of this project, but it turned out better than I expected. Seems like a great parts pack, and the pieces are printed, not stickered! As long as the Canadian price is reasonable, I will probably pick one up.

I remember reading somewhere that the first (Japan Excl.) 2 Cuusoo-Sets came in handpacked Boxes, will this one also be handpacked? Somehow those handpacked Boxes look really nice (and highly collectible).

And.... The set is terrible, as expected. From what I can tell, its just a bunch of random common parts, with the exception of the few printed pieces. The pricing is pretty terrible too, for what you get. This is not one I am interested in... But yeah, perhaps it will appeal to Minecraft fans, which is what is most important here, I guess.

Im a minecraft fan and I like the idea of creating your world using whats shown but still I'm not sold either, there is just something about it and also the price is a little high (ever 30 would be better) I think if I had to chose this or a regular set with minfigs in for a similar price I would pick the regualr set, then again if every brick is a 1x1 of flat (which it is not) then you have got some interesting possibilities (though a structural nightmare).

It might appeal more to non Lego minecraft fans (an interesting way to bring them into the LEGO world too).

Just my 2 Cents :sweet:

Edited by SirSven7

It looks better than I expected but it doesn't have the "must have" factor you'd expect from exclusive sets. There are simply too many sets for 2012 that interest me more.

I can see getting all of the 1x1 tiles and 1x1 bricks to line up in a perfect grid will be finicky business. At the microscale level, these details stand out.

Why wouldn't they use technics pegs to connect the modules, like they do with the modular buildings?

its clever how they talk about you buying more than 1 set, smart thinking. I can see lots of potential for casual users making MOCs that would normally be unsure where to start - its a good MOCing for beginners set :)

I think having all the modules in a line, showing an underground mine, would be fun - kind of like an ant farm.

Why wouldn't they use technics pegs to connect the modules, like they do with the modular buildings?

Due to the underground caverns, there is only enough room for one connection point at the base. Even if you used Technic friction pins, the modules could still swivel around the pin if you deviated from the default square configuration. Technic axles prevent the modules from twisting around the connection points, especially if you have them connected in a straight line.

The modular buildings use enough connections points that alignment between the buildings isn't an issue.