Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

not only have you written that in a superb way but you deserve a lot of credit for selflessly sharing your techniques with us.

My little boy would absolutely love this so thank you, Derfel!

Thanks for your efforts on taking photos and write the details on the technique! I've always been amazed by the European building and landscape and wonder how they are made.

Looks like this is going to be a long post where one can learn a lot - much appreciated and look forward to the upcoming details!

Thank you, Derfel! :thumbup:

Just got a link to this from Vindice. So glad he sent it as this really brightened my day. Thank you for posting this. Awesome work so far and love the detail and technique for creating the river

Awesome stuff

Well, since these people didn't read your instructions in the title of the thread (guide only, no comments) and it's already messy, I'll just point out someone needs to figure out a better solution for these guides. Perhaps so you can lock your thread whenever you'd like, so comments can be avoided...

In any case, I'm sure there is a better solution out there than strictly relying on people's reading comprehension.

EDIT: In other words, I am really enjoying the guide. :wink:

Edit again: This was moved from the other thread, along with a half dozen other posts...nice job mods! :thumbup:

Edited by Edmond Dantes

Great job with the new instalment. The blue tiles underneath the trans-blue plates has a beautiful effect. I'd love to use the same effect, but it's a bit difficult when you plan on ending the river in a lake (which would consist out of blue baseplates). I like the variety of colours near the river bank, but adding plants makes the use of different colours obsolete. Of course it wouldn't look so good as it does with the plants. At first I thought all those plants were excessive, almost overwhelming. But it looks awesome and actually very natural in combination with the trans-blue water, great work! :thumbup:

A suggestion for the actual guide topic: ask a moderator to lock it. Add a big picture to the first post in this topic with a link to invite people to the guide topic. And whenever you want to update it, ask a moderator to open it while you post in it. It seems people have a tough time reading the title. :tongue:

It's a real pleasure seeing how you design these amazing pieces, Derfel. Thanks for posting this very helpful guide.

This might be a bit self serving but I wanted to keep all Derfel's lessons in one central spot. with that and some time on my hands I created the Derfel Cardarn Appreciation Society. It just mirrors Derfel's posts

http://dcasociety.blogspot.com/

I plan on putting up a new Chapter with each of his post.

Thanks to everyone for your great feedback! I am currently working on the next installment which is has quite a bit two it, so I may have to post it in two halves. I should have an update tomorro(although im having a wisdom tooth out in the afternoon :cry_sad: ).

Great job with the new instalment. The blue tiles underneath the trans-blue plates has a beautiful effect. I'd love to use the same effect, but it's a bit difficult when you plan on ending the river in a lake (which would consist out of blue baseplates). I like the variety of colours near the river bank, but adding plants makes the use of different colours obsolete. Of course it wouldn't look so good as it does with the plants. At first I thought all those plants were excessive, almost overwhelming. But it looks awesome and actually very natural in combination with the trans-blue water, great work! :thumbup:

A suggestion for the actual guide topic: ask a moderator to lock it. Add a big picture to the first post in this topic with a link to invite people to the guide topic. And whenever you want to update it, ask a moderator to open it while you post in it. It seems people have a tough time reading the title. :tongue:

Thank you matn, if your river ends in a lake it can still be done, but will use a lot of 8x8 plates. However you can still get a great look using normal blue plates which will be easier for you to merge into a blue base plate. Yes, the different colours are obsolete if they end up getting covered by plant pieces, and you can obviously not bother with as much detail in areas that will be heavily plant covered. The reason i did it that way, was so you could see a bit more of how landscaping is done and it gives people the option to not use as many plants if they either don't have them or just prefer less plant work. I will cover a few landscaping tips later in the guide when we come to the larger area.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments, and please always remember to use this thread for your comments and questions.

DC

This guide is beautiful. The stream looks very realistic, and I had just bought a baggie of plant pieces that I have been itching to try out. Unfortunately, I don't have the trans blue plates, but I think my sister might have 2 from Belville. I'll have to borrow them from her.

Edited by Sid Sidious

Finally we get to see the process you take to make these amazing mocs!

I've enjoyed reading and taking tips from the 2 posts so far, can't wait for the next one with the building! :sweet:

Keep up the fantastic work DC!

CF

I really enjoyed reading about the making of the river. Further more, first thing that I thought was: "I have to find me some tiles and trans plates" :)

Same, with few modifications can be used for lava, not only for water (more appropriate for my worlds:))

Anyhow, the only frontier with lego is imagination, so... can't wait to start building again :)

Hi,

thanks for the inside look. The shots are great and it's amazing to see how you build all these buildings and landscapes.

Sorry for my posting in the wrong thread.

At last I have the question about your brick storage system, where did you get this?

BR

Roland

Just placed an order for 500 round plates, hope you're happy! :laugh:

Excellent guide, looking forward to seeing more!

Really great Derfel! I like the river alot and your technique gives t a very crisp and natural look!

The house is also great and I´m planning on buying som dark brown, cause it´s like you said... It really fits well with the white!

Fun to se how many "Derfel inspired buildings" that will pop up after your guide! I´m one of those builders! :tongue:

First of all, thanks for the pin! For those that need to hit bricklink, here are some links for you...

4073.gif - Plate, Round: 4073: in Light Bluish Gray Color

4073.gif - Plate, Round: 4073: in Dark Bluish Gray Color

4073.gif - Plate, Round: 4073: in Brown Color

2431.jpg - Dark Brown Tile 1 x 4

Thanks all!

Another update is complete and posted :classic:

Hi,

thanks for the inside look. The shots are great and it's amazing to see how you build all these buildings and landscapes.

Sorry for my posting in the wrong thread.

At last I have the question about your brick storage system, where did you get this?

BR

Roland

We have a shop in the UK called Hobbiecraft, it sells all those boxes and they are quite cheap to buy. Ideal for Lego! Thats where I get them all from.

Just placed an order for 500 round plates, hope you're happy! :laugh:

Excellent guide, looking forward to seeing more!

:laugh: I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

Nowadays prices of round plate and dark brown pieces are rising sharply on bricklink! Really amazing guide Derfel. Keep it going. Thank you

Looks excellent so far, it's good to see a work in progress and I imagine the quality of MOCs around here is only going to get better with these secrets coming out!

That is awesome. I will be following this closely! It's very interested learning how you make these creations. Great job so far, Derfel Cardarn!

Hi,

great great thing you are doing for us. :)

Perhaps I will never be able to create something as large as that, the techniques being learned are very useful!

Thanks!

wanders of building a bridge...