I think the new turntable is the most interesting part of next year's lineup. Those would useful for many different purposes. :thumbup:

I have mixed thoughts about 9397. It's definitely better than the other non-flagship PF models we have seen in the last few years and that one motor does quite a few things, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It looks like either a modification of 8285 (minus the doubled rear wheels) or a crappier version of 8258. I also don't like how the claw's control knob is right next to it. It's not even remotely comparable to 8868 IMO.

I like the look of 9395 a lot but it could have had more functionality. As far as I can see, the wheel lift has only one degree of freedom and doesn't even articulate. This year's backhoe had a lot more functions at a similar price point. I can't tell what that switch in the cab does though, so maybe the model is more interesting than it looks.

Something I noticed earlier but forgot to include in my previous post: For the very first time there are Technic sets which are numbered with a number larger than 8880. I think they used to attempt and preserve that number as the limit for a while, but I guess the limited space in the set numbers made that impossible now.

I guess they finally ran out of 8000 numbers. 9300 used to cover the Dacta/Lego Education sets at one point, so it's at least not too far off. :grin:

The switch is for the crane, am I rite say that the outriggers look like there not manual?

Correct. One switch selects between the crane rotation and stabilizers, and the other switch selects between boom and jib movements. Claw rotation and open/close is manual.

the claw's control knob is right next to it. It's not even remotely comparable to 8868 IMO.

Criticizing that point is irrelevant.

Edited by Anio

Maybe. But that was not my point.

My point is how 9397 is designed.

In my opinion the 'log loader' seems to be a bit of a redemption for Uwe. Finally he has been able to produce a set that both has reasonably good looks and has motorised functions. His 8285 tow truck really looked to be simplified or rushed. This 'log loader' does not. Also, it both looks good and has motorised functions for a lower price than the 8285. I do think they have the same functionality. If I would compare this truck with the flat bed truck from this year, it looks like the extra money well spend.

And yes, the 8868 is better. So what. I still think that it is nice of the technic team that we get a model that looks like a re-make. Off course the white bull bar is missing. But still, that is easily added.

Edited by Dutch_EE

Personnaly, I don't think it is a remake at all.

Actually, not more than 8421 is a remake of 8460, for example.

Over on this TechnicBRICKS post, Conchas has added a few images of the new 24-Tooth 28-Tooth Lego Technic mini turntable that will come with the 9397 Log Transporter set. He wrote,

"Like speculated, it has an outer diameter of 24 teeth 28 teeth. I made a quick and dirty LDraw doodle to show what it probably looks like: [28 teeth not shown here -- 24 teeth are]

turntable2.png

"Of course, we all hope the middle has a pin hole instead of an axle hole. Lots of future possibilities with this new fella!" expectation.gif

Edited by DLuders

Got a question:

How to value this 9397? Is it like the 8070 from this year?

(so, a bigger model, but not the flagship?)

Like the looks of it, and to me it looks like some kind of tribute to 8860. Not a real remake, not a copy.

The crane seems a bit simple, (but simple can be brilliant), in construction.

I think it just asks for modification, to control the two last functions...

New turntable looks nice aswell.

I hope TLG can do some explanation on the models. Tell us some backstory :classic::thumbup:

The switch is for the crane, am I rite say that the outriggers look like there not manual?

I meant on the tow truck, 9395. It looks to me like there are arrows shown under the steering wheel in the small picture. It could be a transmission switch given the red color.

Criticizing that point is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to what? I know the claw could not have been powered by the motor but they could have placed the control closer to the base of the turntable and turned it into a more interesting mechanism. This used to fairly common in Technic at one point.

In my opinion the 'log loader' seems to be a bit of a redemption for Uwe. Finally he has been able to produce a set that both has reasonably good looks and has motorised functions. His 8285 tow truck really looked to be simplified or rushed. This 'log loader' does not. Also, it both looks good and has motorised functions for a lower price than the 8285. I do think they have the same functionality. If I would compare this truck with the flat bed truck from this year, it looks like the extra money well spend.

Redemption? Uwe designed 8258, one of the most complex sets of the last few years, and also this year's Supercar. The Tow Truck was quite simple in its design but I think that might have something to do with it being released prior to the PF system's introduction. It could have used a second pneumatic actuator for the crane lift though, to make full use of pneumatics.

Over on this TechnicBRICKS post, Conchas has added a few images of the new 24-Tooth 28-Tooth Lego Technic mini turntable that will come with the 9397 Log Transporter set. He wrote,

"Like speculated, it has an outer diameter of 24 teeth 28 teeth. I made a quick and dirty LDraw doodle to show what it probably looks like: [28 teeth not shown here -- 24 teeth are]

turntable2.png

"Of course, we all hope the middle has a pin hole instead of an axle hole. Lots of future possibilities with this new fella!" expectation.gif

Indeed I thought it was a weird thing to mesh a 12T to a 24T that way and the protrusions in the photo looked further away from the teeth than in the mockup, but didn't think much about that. Anyway, I added the old differential's outer ring (which has 28 teeth) to the sketch to give a better idea about its size. Since the file's name and location are the same, your post already reflects the new version.

Hmm, never seen a long nose timber transport truck in a real life (except the really really old ones), so I just can't find the real life aspect from it. It still looks like a nice model so it's not that bad.

in the united states the drive only long nose trucks

I've seen couple of them here also but not for the logging... For the show mainly because they looks great with all chrome stuff. "American trucks" as they are called in here. :)

E: In Gekke Ted's picture is a typical "show truck" what I meant!

This is what we got a lot:

5-sisu-stock.JPG

Edited by Finntech

As I remember correct, european trucks have a maximum length of 25 meters.

Therefor, trucks have a short nose to have more length for the trailer.

In america this isn't a restriction.

This is the main reason why we europeans don't see a lot of those longnose trucks. Do like the looks of 'em though.

Are you saying there were no complex designs before PF? :laugh:

Anyone that does gets a space shuttle to the face. That thing is a miracle to assemble let alone disassemble.

- Sok.