Sign in to follow this  
CopMike

World Record Attempt - most complete sets

Bricklink member FlyingEugene goes for the record:

Three weeks from tomorrow, Saturday July 23, I will be making a Guinness World

Record attempt. The category is "Largest Collection of Interlocking Plastic

Brick Sets." Basically, I am putting my LEGO set collection up for the largest

in the world. The rules for the attempt are:

1. Collection of the greatest number of complete LEGO sets in a private collection

2. To be attempted by an individual

3. Measured by number of items that meet the criteria

The criteria is:

1. Assessment of the collection must take place in a public place or in a venue

open to public inspection

2. The record is based on the number of different individual items of the same

type in the collection. Duplicates do not count. If the items are paired, the

pair counts as a single item (earrings, cufflinks).

3. Minimum number of different sets is 500.

That´s pretty cool in my book :sweet:! Read the whole annoncement here.

You know, 500 doesn't sound like that many, but when I look into my collection, that I thought was pretty expansive, when it comes to different sets, I think I'm under 100 still.

Kudo's to him, I hope he gets it.

I would agree, 500 sets seems low. I decided to see what I owned... well according to my enventory sheet I have 492 complete sets *oh2* ... perhaps my wife is right I need slow down a bit in my purchasing.

Ralph

i have about 1/2 of that in my inventory list but then i haven't ever inventoried all my sets. Congrats on going to the world record. Too bad you didnt have some friends to come over and help you increase your number of sets :)

I have about 1/2 of that in my inventory list but then i haven't ever inventoried all my sets. Congrats on going to the world record. Too bad you didn't have some friends to come over and help you increase your number of sets :)

It has to be done by an individual. I don't think friends could help. Too bad. :hmpf_bad:

Well... according to Bricklink, I own 657sets... I guess, that at lest, 600 of them are complete... Guess I got the record?

I really like what he says at the end:

I would rather pay a few

extra dollars to someone on this site than go to the Toys R Us (which is a block

from my house) because I know it is going to a good home.

I wish you the best of luck FlyingEugene! :sweet:

CF

Well... according to Bricklink, I own 657sets... I guess, that at lest, 600 of them are complete... Guess I got the record?

Remember it's individual UNIQUE sets, no duplicates.

Glad we cleared that last one up before I stuck my brick in my mouth, so, complete sets, no duplicates right, should I also gather that they must be in a box and unopened?

Yep, I know... they are individual... I don't buy duplicates... :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of this display, if I wasd in the US I'd be making a journey to support him.

I'm currently up to 263 different sets

D

Now that sounds like fun! I have 626 sets - 564 different (according to Brickset).

So I should wait a few months and then go for the record myself? :wink:

Good luck FlyingEugene!

Edited by legomaniac83

I got quite excited when I read over 500 sets but, then... duplicates... Of my 698 complete sets, 396 are duplicates. Personally I don't think that should matter as each set are still individual sets. All purchased separately default_sceptic.gif Thank heavens for Brickset, else I'd never know. Oh well, best of luck to 'FlyingEugene'. Hope he gets the certificate default_classic.gif

I'm about half way to the minimum at 238(261 with duplicates). I'd like to see a picture of his attempt.

According to brickset I have 44 individual sets not including duplicates. I'm not even close to this record.

Yep, I know... they are individual... I don't buy duplicates... :)

That is amazing. :cry_happy:

If I had the time and money I would make the trek down there to support him and see the collection in person.

I cannot wait to see the final count and pictures on Saturday :grin: .

This sounds really interesting. I'm eagerly waiting for pictures and video about the happening. I already got excited with my 765 different sets when I read the announcement telling his set count is about 1200 different sets... But, my inventory is maybe at half pole now, so I'll keep my eyes open! :blush:

Anyway - good luck, FlyingEugene, for Saturday! :sweet:

Good luck buddy! I hope you get it. Please post photots if you can!

-JPS97

I realise now just how sad i am :cry_sad:

This thread has made me update my set count.

Sitting at 1228 unique sets (1800+ duplicated). I guess that explains why there is LEGO in every room of the house

But i don't see anywhere on brickset to add all my catalogs or the posters liberated from toystore walls. :devil:

Wish i could have gone to the US to see FlyingEugene's collection. Good luck to him.

I realise now just how sad i am :cry_sad:

This thread has made me update my set count.

Sitting at 1228 unique sets (1800+ duplicated). I guess that explains why there is LEGO in every room of the house

But i don't see anywhere on brickset to add all my catalogs or the posters liberated from toystore walls. :devil:

Wish i could have gone to the US to see FlyingEugene's collection. Good luck to him.

So that's 3028 sets? If so, that's almost insane! You could probably build a home out of those sets. Not to mention cost, I'd guess you have a few hundred thousand dollars or more wrapped up in that collection. I'd love to see that

So that's 3028 sets? If so, that's almost insane! You could probably build a home out of those sets. Not to mention cost, I'd guess you have a few hundred thousand dollars or more wrapped up in that collection. I'd love to see that

I could be wrong, but I believe he has 1800 in total. The 1228 he refers to is his number of sets without duplicates.

Edited by Legocrazy81

I don't know if this is the same guy or not, but according to some LEGO set expert this guy holds the record.

scr_120126-M-DD9999-001.JPG

Captain Kyle Ugone isn't just a Navy bruiser—he's a man of finesse, and a lover of small plastic bricks. So much so that he's erected a staggering 1,091 Lego sets, earning him the title of world champion. According to American Forces Press Service, "Rooms in his Yuma home look as if they belong in a Lego Land theme park, containing hundreds of completed Lego sets separated by genre, such as space, trains, castles and 'Star Wars' sets, displayed on tables and shelves." You wouldn't think he'd have the time to do all of this while also being a Marine Corps Captain, but hey, the best and the brightest! Now what's he going to do? Destroy it all. His post-record move is extremely zen: "Ugone is slowly taking the sets apart for storage to regain some of the square footage in his home. He's taking a break from collecting Lego sets, planning instead to focus more of his attention on restoring a classic muscle car. DoD