Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

As a general rule I prefer System Pirates over PotC but I did like the part selection and variety of sets from the first time around, and I'd certainly buy any new set with those same qualities. Plus the non-mythical minifigures were pretty cool and add a little more variety to ordinary pirate Mocs if people want to use them that way - fleshy or yellow. I'm open to the reappearance of the licensed theme provided it doesn't *ahem* result in early cancellation of System Pirates.

As a general rule I prefer System Pirates over PotC but I did like the part selection and variety of sets from the first time around, and I'd certainly buy any new set with those same qualities. Plus the non-mythical minifigures were pretty cool and add a little more variety to ordinary pirate Mocs if people want to use them that way - fleshy or yellow. I'm open to the reappearance of the licensed theme provided it doesn't *ahem* result in early cancellation of System Pirates.

Agreed. Some of those items, like the scabbards and torsos (tho less so for us yellow fans), are great. Unfortunately I think the licensed theme would basically guarantee an indefinite pause for System Pirates.

As much as I love the classic pirates theme I wont say no to another PotC wave,after all one of my top favorite minifigs is Jack Sparrow and I would love an updated version of him.....ahem Captain Jack Sparrow...sorry pirate_laugh_new.gif

Edited by LOTR34

I doubt it but it could be cool if Lego did something like what they did with the LOTR and Hobbit line where some time before the fifth film they make a wave of new potc sets on the original trilogy films and then the next wave of sets would be based on the new movie. Just a thought since Lego has done this before.

Overall, LEGO did a pretty good job of covering the major scenes in the movies, but it would be nice if they released a few more sets from the previous films along with the wave of new movie sets.

Blacksmith Duel ($13) - Includes cart with catapult function and rotating sword rack (with Jack Sparrow, Will Turner)

Singapore Ambush ($50) - Includes river house on stilts, dock, and small merchant's cart (with Sao Feng, Elizabeth Swann in Singapore outfit, 2 soldiers)

Flying Dutchman ($200) - with Davy Jones, 3 crew members, Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Pintel and Ragetti

Just sold the last of my POTC sets. For what I paid about £170 for, I've made £350. pirate_laugh2.gif

Wow, how cool. Any good tips for what to buy now and not play with? Should we all buy multiples of the current pirate theme?

Just sold the last of my POTC sets. For what I paid about £170 for, I've made £350. pirate_laugh2.gif

Nice! Just so long as you spend the difference on more LEGO... pirate_wink.gif

Wow, how cool. Any good tips for what to buy now and not play with? Should we all buy multiples of the current pirate theme?

If you can still find some LOTR and Hobbit sets around, those would likely be a rather good investment (in terms of LEGO being investments at all).

If you want a hint on whether the current Pirates theme could be a good investment, I suggest you look up the aftermarket price on the 2009 wave for comparison.

Makes me wanna think of all kinds of cusswords ...

Just a quick update:Most of you probably already heard that Star Wars Episode 8 has moved from it's original release date (May 26 2017) to it's new one,which is December 15 2017.So what's that got to do with PotC you say??Well originally the 5th instalment of the franchise,Dead Men Tell No Tales,was supposed to be out in July of 2017 but now Disney moved it two months earlier on Star Wars previous release date,May 27.Which is great news for the fans since we'll be able to see the movie two months earlier and (hopefully) we'll get the sets based on the movie also a bit earlier.And I know that there isn't a official comfirmation that there will be sets based on the new movie but since Lego is in good terms with Disney I believe we will get new sets.That's all for now pirate_classic.gif

Edited by LOTR34

A proper Flying Dutchman would be awesome.

Yes please.

Please.

Anyway, IF Lego is planning to make sets for Pirates 5, the change in schedule could be a very bad thing.

They will have two months less to properly design the sets and minifigs, which could lead to continuity errors, akin to Yazneg on the White Warg from The Hobbit.

Yes please.

Please.

Anyway, IF Lego is planning to make sets for Pirates 5, the change in schedule could be a very bad thing.

They will have two months less to properly design the sets and minifigs, which could lead to continuity errors, akin to Yazneg on the White Warg from The Hobbit.

Flying Dutchman with bley hull pieces? :excited:

That's always a risk with doing merchandising parallel to the movie production before the final cuts and edits were made.

Flying Dutchman with bley hull pieces? :excited:

I'd prefer if the hull were brick-built, even though I know that's unlikely.

The shape of the hull pieces just don't feel right for The Dutchman.

I feel like they HAVE to do The Dutchman. Considering Orlando Bloom is IN this film, and last time we saw him he was Captaining it. They have to release at least 1 ship, and logic dictates it must be this one. Perhaps a Black Pearl rerelease as well. Which would be fine with me, since I missed it before. Unless they are doing a new ship that we don't know about yet. But reguardless, The Dutchman seems mandatory this time around.

Also perhaps this is the reason why Pirates 2015 was such a small theme, they already are planning BIG things for next year, and don't want to saturate the market?

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

Well I don't know about the Flying Dutchman but there will be a ghost pirate ship in the movie and I bet that would be the biggest set of the line but either way I'm all for more pirate ships.

But the Flying Dutchman lost some of it's seacreaturey features when Will Turner became captain. If it is in the fifth installment, and LEGO bases it off that...I might not buy it.

I just loved the look of it in the second and third films. Anything else could rock the boat on the market for me.

While I'm still not a fan of PotC, I'd like to see some new sets when the movie comes out, even though I'm not planning on actually seeing the next movie. But more LEGO pirates is better than no pirates at all, and a new ship like the Flying Dutchman would be a welcome sight, at least I hope it would be better than the last ship (I mean the Brick Bounty).

But more LEGO pirates is better than no pirates at all

Amen to that bro! pir_laugh2.gif

Only thing i wish i could do, is replace POTC minifigs with yellow faces and arms. But i love them so much, it hurts me to even think doing so pirate_sceptic.gif. I know i have the fig-fever!

So i end up trying to think that fleshies are a race of their own (just like caucasians, etc) and can be presented to MOCs along with normal yellow-leather minifigs (which ofc makes most MOCs not quite aesthetically pleasing).

Amen to that bro! :pir_laugh2:

Only thing i wish i could do, is replace POTC minifigs with yellow faces and arms. But i love them so much, it hurts me to even think doing so :pir-sceptic:. I know i have the fig-fever!

You can always pretend they have hepatitis or been exposed in sun for very long in the Caribbean, while the yellow-faced dudes spent too much of their time in the basements in England drinking vodka. :pir-tongue: