Dragonator

General Discussion and Announcements

On 3/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, Tariq j said:

I sense a new Mafia Game in the force... Coming soon hopefully :yoda:

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies* :vader:

Haven't been on this website in awhile but I think I should start getting back on again. I'm down for another mafia, especially if it's Star Wars related.

Has there really not been a mafia game in almost a year!? shoot. This should be remedied. yikes. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

I'd be interested in cohosting one if there's any interest in getting another game going. 

Edited by KotZ

On 5/19/2017 at 3:02 PM, Dannylonglegs said:

Has there really not been a mafia game in almost a year!? shoot. This should be remedied. yikes. 

~Insectoid Aristocrat

15 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I'd be interested in cohosting one if there's any interest in getting another game going. 

@Dragonator is always ready for pitches!  I might be interested in a cohost - depending on what the plan is :wink:

I... wouldn't mind running a game in the future once Heroica wraps up, which will probably be in a few months. There's a few themes I had in mind, mainly a Star Wars theme or a Horror theme with Beetlejuice as the host. If anyone wanted to cohost it, I would love the assistance and second opinion, since I"m a little more green when it comes to Mafia. I've played on this site before on a few occasions, I simply don't have as much experience as some members of this forum have. :classic:

I'd love to participate in a game again!

Hey all, Kinto here. I'm still thinking about running a mafia game in the future, and I had an idea for a potential Mafia role that I wanted your guys opinion on. Do you think it'd be fun to play? Thoughts?

YANDERE or LOVESICK

You are the Yandere/Lovesick. You are not affiliated with the Town or the Mafia, and act as a Third Party with your own win condition. Each night you must choose a player to eliminate. You win the game when you are the only remaining player, with the sole exception being your Senpai. They must survive in order for you to win. During the night, should your Senpai be targeted with a night action that would kill him, you kill the attacker instead. Your Senpai does not know that they are your Senpai, and does not know that if they survive to the end with you two being the only two left, they win with you. Your Senpai has been chosen at random from among your fellow players. Should your Senpai die, you are not eliminated, but cannot win the game. 

It was an idea that popped into my head, and perhaps some of you out there could tell me if this is a really stupid idea or not. :laugh:

Interesting idea. Sounds alright to me, though there’s not much point to playing once the Senpai is dead. I think it would be somewhat harder to stay invested in the game when you’re still alive but it’s impossible to meet your win condition, especially if the Senpai dies day 1 or 2. Maybe they commit suicide when the Senpai dies, like Dragonfire/Comrade Commander in Shield v. Hydra.

30 minutes ago, mediumsnowman said:

Interesting idea. Sounds alright to me, though there’s not much point to playing once the Senpai is dead. I think it would be somewhat harder to stay invested in the game when you’re still alive but it’s impossible to meet your win condition, especially if the Senpai dies day 1 or 2. Maybe they commit suicide when the Senpai dies, like Dragonfire/Comrade Commander in Shield v. Hydra.

I'd have to agree with you. If this ever gets implemented into a game I'll ensure that the Yandere dies with the Senpai. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, mediumsnowman said:

I agree, but I'm always up for new mafia style games. I think with a little bit of hashing out the details, this one could work.

I really think an every man for themselves style game could be interesting, but it may be difficult to keep discussions going. If there is no mafia to rat out what would we talk about?

14 minutes ago, jluck said:

I agree, but I'm always up for new mafia style games. I think with a little bit of hashing out the details, this one could work.

I really think an every man for themselves style game could be interesting, but it may be difficult to keep discussions going. If there is no mafia to rat out what would we talk about?

Ever heard of The Resistance? That could be an interesting game to try and replicate, although it'd have a smaller group size and each "day" would be quicker.

I think it's always great to have new roles and mechanics. Maybe if the Senpai dies, the win condition of the Yandere/Lovesick could change.

10 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Ever heard of The Resistance? That could be an interesting game to try and replicate, although it'd have a smaller group size and each "day" would be quicker.

Bob ran a very similar variant of the game just over a year ago (Secret Enemies), only instead of missions, it was Town and Mafia policies being passed through the government, for the most part it worked very well. 

10 hours ago, jluck said:

I also like the idea of an "every man for himself" type game, a couple of years ago in the UK there was a kids TV show called Trapped, where a group of 6 or 7 kids would have to do challenges and on each challenge a "sabotager" would be chosen to try and stop the team from winning, at the end of each task everyone would have to try and guess who the sabotager was, if they were successful, the sabotager would lose and be out of the game and if people couldn't guess who it was the sabotager would win and move onto the next round.

Putting it into role play, what is everyone was Town at first and at the start of each day, a "sabotager/scum/traitor" is chosen, and they have to try and say, enact a Mafia policy, (similar to what we did in secret enemies), everyone has to then vote on who they think the traitor was and if they're right the traitor dies and is out of the game but if they don't get it right the traitor moves on to the next round. 

11 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Sounds fun.  New roles and new types of mafia games are always fun to play.  

11 hours ago, jluck said:

I would be up for a game like this.  I have wondered how these types of games would work; every man for themselves.  I would think that if everyone thought it was similar to a regular game but in each players bio there were specific win conditions (with no PMs) then no one would know that everyone was a third-party type.  Discussions would be similar to regular days as everyone would be trying to complete their specific win conditions. 

1 hour ago, Lady K said:

Sounds fun.  New roles and new types of mafia games are always fun to play.  

I would be up for a game like this.  I have wondered how these types of games would work; every man for themselves.  I would think that if everyone thought it was similar to a regular game but in each players bio there were specific win conditions (with no PMs) then no one would know that everyone was a third-party type.  Discussions would be similar to regular days as everyone would be trying to complete their specific win conditions. 

Before I played I think there was a paranoia mafia where everyone was town and just attached each other. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, jluck said:

Before I played I think there was a paranoia mafia where everyone was town and just attached each other. :laugh:

:grin:  That would be interesting.  It sounds like there were many fun games I missed due to RL; I hope to have the time in the future to continue playing.

11 minutes ago, jluck said:

I believe the one you're talking about was the Spanish Inquisition mafia, where the town had to lynch or kill the Inquisitor, as everyone was town, and everyone kept turning up town.

Alright, after some consideration, I'm thinking of running an online version of Avalon, which is a reskinned version of The Resistance. Is there any interest in running this thing in the future? It won't be for a few months, but it's something I feel would be a nice alternative to Mafia, and with shrinking sizes in our games, it's ten player limit would make for tight, cutthroat games.

Sounds interesting - Secret Enemies was OK, but I think Mafia is a lot more engaging with more opportunities for more players. As KotZ said on the deadboard (which I'm sure some of you will be seeing very soon :laugh:) another completely anonymous game like @Hinckley's Harriet Slutter could have potential for a bigger turnout since older players don't have to worry about being metagamed - it's somewhat of a fresh start.

But who am I kidding, I'll still sign up no matter what the game is. :grin:

I'd sign up, I'm really enjoying the games. And yes, Harriet SLutter style anonymity needs to make a comeback. :look:

I just enjoy playing. I still don't really know what I'm doing (Fake it till you fake it again) but I'd be up to try out whatever you guys cook up in your mafia labs.