Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

MOC: Erecting a runestone

indexed.gif

Runestones were erected for many different reasons, it could be a memory for someone that had died, in battle or on a travel, or it could be a declaration of conversion too Christianity. Some people even put up runestones to brag about how good they were, e.g. like this: "Vigmund had this stone carved in memory of himself, the cleverest of men." But a lot of runestones were also erected besides bridges to tell who had made them:

4135742767_323b3b2e6d.jpg

4135742839_09b40eda9e.jpg

The runestone would have looked so much better if there really was runes on it, I know :cry_sad: . I can't print decals otherwise I would have made one. Ah well, you will have to use your imagination :blush:

4136503804_6ce373d8cf.jpg

You can't build a Viking MOC without including ravens, the raven was a sacred bird for the Vikings. Odin, the chief god in the old Norse paganism had two ravens, Huginn and Muninn, that flew around the world to gather news for the god.

4136503882_222bb14a45.jpg

4135743033_9fab02ff3e.jpg

Thanks for watching! :sweet:

Edited by Etzel

What an excellent subject, and a well executed MOC, good secenery and an original idea. Lego Viking's have so much character don't they? They have to be one of my favourite (dead) themes. Do not worry about your lack of Decal, in my opinion they are not needed, we should be able to use our imagination (surely we still play with Lego!).

On the subject of Rune Carving, my favourite has to be 'Thorni bedded Helgi carved', graffiti carved by Anglo-Scandinavian treasure hunters, onto the Maes Howe passage grave on Orkney.

"Imagination", that's what Lego is about.

Great little scene. Great expression on the guy lifting the stone.

As I happen to be a big viking fan:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

very well done.. great atmosphere on the pic, nice kitbashes with the minifigs, the ravens are fantastic... a great moc with an awesome little story!

Great little moc, I really like your bridge. :thumbup:

I also like that one guy, wich tells the others what they need to do.

the Inventor

I'm not a viking fan at all, but such little MOCs are simply great! ) :classic::thumbup:

I love MOCs that contain some action, and it's brilliantly done, my friend. )

Keep the work up! ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Very cool :classic: Original idea. And maybe it isn't even that incorrect without runes, maybe they put the runes on it when the stone was on it's place, who knows? :tongue:

Very nicely done. The scene makes sense and is set up well. I love the expressions on the faces. That's one thing I am truely jealous of is all the cool facial expressions the yellow heads get now days.

Really awesome. Small, but so much details. Beautiful, ravens are great! Those brown plates representing the dirt are so good! I like this one very much!

It looks really awesome! I love the concept. :thumbup:

The MOC is really nice executed, with the birds as always. :wink:

But it shouldn't be that hard to put a decal on the runestone...

Great work Etzel. The bridge is a really nice design that i will have to try myself. The expressions on the characters are well suited. The Rune stone looks great and the all round feel of this MOC is a winner. Well done.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments! :classic:

I wasn't clear over what to build when I begun and I made the whole landscape first and tried a couple of other things first before I decided for the runestone idea.

I liked the Viking theme too, it was the theme that ended my dark age with all those great minifigs! I wish the theme hadn't focused so much on the human vs. beast concept and instead made it like a traditional castle theme with two rivalling factions. I think it could have lasted longer then.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm happy that you liked my MOC :sweet:

/Etzel

A very well executed moc Etzel, I especially love the runestone part, the hole is done very well. The bridge looks very neat too and I love the minifigs you've chosen. I look forward to seeing more from you!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Very nice vignette and very well done with focus on the action.

I like most the dock tecnique!

Compliments :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very original idea and great execution! The effort and strain are clearly visible on the faces of the two Vikings rising the runestone, very nice.

I really like it :thumbup:

LuxorV