Christian

City 2010

I think the controversy is more along the lines of... TRU sells a lot of different toys, and it doesn't seem in the best interest in promoting either Lego or TRU, to show the store stocking all these weapons. In the set, we have some boxes of Lego, a small car, a bear, and a barrel full of weapons. It just seems that a different type of toy could have been chosen over guns and swords. :wacko:

Yes, ZO6 has hit the nail on the head. We've had an official Winter Toy Shop with lovely mini models, we've had last year's Advent Calendar with mini toys and this year's Advent Calendar with lots more brick-built toys, but all they can come up with for TRU is a bear and weapons?

Unless rumours of a new Bears vs Guns theme in 2011 *are* true :look:

Nice!

I like the TRU truck better than the LEGO truck (thanks to the store). The small TRU accessories and stickers is MOCfodder for me.

As for the gun controversy (circle)knee-jerk, meh, don't care, really. After all there's that brown bear. Remember, black bears run away from you, brown bears run at you.

Thanks again whung for the great new TRU Truck pic :thumbup:

I think I prefer the LEGO version mainly because it is LEGO branded :grin:

Also I do not particularity like or support TRU. Damn TRU exclusives :tongue:

As for the weapons for sale in the TRU mini shop, honestly who has ever seen a TRU that small? :tongue:

But back to the weapons, it figures TRU would do something underhanded like that :laugh: :laugh:

:wink:

You guys have got great eyesight - even zooming big-time I can't see the guns you're talking about.

I have to say it sounds incredibly unlikely that TRU or LEGO would have guns for sale in the shop within such a set, but if guns are really there......could this be a hoax ? I mean, it seems to have emerged from nowhere, and when was the last time a 3rd party company branded any set other than a tiny promo ? I can only think of ancient Shell sets, Maersk Sealand and the Vestas windmill, and the latter 2 were originally made for employees only.

All that having been said, if the set IS genuine, I'd buy it ! I love the yellow truck, but this TRU one is a nice alternative colour scheme and a cool collector's item.

Dr. D.

7848-box.jpg

I called my local (Munich) TRU today, and was told that this set as well as 8404

will be available on the 10th of July! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I like the blue truck better, the color is cool to the eyes. Plus, 2 more figs and a tiny store on the sides. Not bad at all.

Edited by KielDaMan

Wow, I wasn't expecting an alternate version of the LEGO Truck! This TRU Truck definitely looks much cooler than the normal one, and will definitely be a collector's item in the future. Is this the first set to have TRU's logos on it?

But since this is a TRU exclusive, Americans can expect the set to be at least $10 more than the LEGO Truck. :hmpf_bad: I guess I'll get this at the LEGO Store then...

Edited by ILikePi

7848-box.jpg

I called my local (Munich) TRU today, and was told that this set as well as 8404

Hmm, I wonder of July 10 is just a release date for Germany or is it for the rest of the world !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

7848-box.jpg

Thanks for the information, grogall.

Good to know we'll get it here in Germany as well. :thumbup:

Agree with the thoughts of many-- Already have the LEGO truck, and prefer it to the TRU version. Even though the little store is kinda cool, it's certainly not enough for me to justify buying a second identical truck.

A bit of advice to those who haven't yet made a decision on either-- this truck is HUGE, certainly the biggest LEGO tractor trailer I've ever seen. If you have tight corners in your layout, don't expect this behemoth to make it through. The rig itself is almost as long as the Octan truck and trailer.

Also, quick question for those of you more in the know than myself... I thought I'd read somewhere that the TLG was going to do a widespread retail re-release of Winter Toy Shop for this year's 4th quarter. Any truth in that?? Or just wishful thinking?

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Yes, ZO6 has hit the nail on the head. We've had an official Winter Toy Shop with lovely mini models, we've had last year's Advent Calendar with mini toys and this year's Advent Calendar with lots more brick-built toys, but all they can come up with for TRU is a bear and weapons?

Unless rumours of a new Bears vs Guns theme in 2011 *are* true :look:

Those aren't the only toys-- there are the LEGO sets (obviously), and the kid in the foreground is holding a toy car. I think the selection of toys is pretty good.

I don't understand why that would be wrong, i mean there are tons of weapons in other castle, pirates and city sets, why would it be wrong in this set? That doesn't make any sense to me..i eman yeah, it is a toy shop, but what diference does it make? The pieces are in thousands of other sets aswell, for me it doesn't change anything, in what set they are.

Edited by metalandi

No one here played with toy guns as a kid? What crazy European rules do you guys follow? :tongue:

I played with toy guns all the time, and then made guns out of LEGOs, so what is the big deal?

All the time :classic:

I wonder how many LEGO boxes come with the TRU truck?

And will someone tell me how many come with the LEGO truck?

I need to know how many I'll have if I buy both of these sets as planned so I can build a LEGO store!

All the time :classic:

I wonder how many LEGO boxes come with the TRU truck?

And will someone tell me how many come with the LEGO truck?

I need to know how many I'll have if I buy both of these sets as planned so I can build a LEGO store!

I think there is 9 boxes with the Lego Truck.

LegoGalactus

I think there is 9 boxes with the Lego Truck.

LegoGalactus

Thank you :classic:

Now I just need to wait for the TRU truck to come out!

The TRU truck set looks nice, especially having a small toy shop as an extra! :thumbup: This blue colour looks beautiful. It's still huge though but what the heck... :tongue:

P.S

Since there are no TRU stores here in Greece, does this mean that this set is not going to be available in other physical toy shops? There were some sets in the past marked as "TRU Exclusive" and these sets made it to toy shops in Greece. Are we dealing with the same thing here?

Thank you very much for this pic, whung! :classic:

7848 is a beautiful set! :wub:

I don't care that much about the truck - although it's of course very well designed and the colors are much more appealing than in 3221.

The big plus this set gets is because of the small TRU shop. :wub: Of course it's only very small. But its design is very realistic. And that it is placed on a 16x8 baseplate makes it going very well with all the other City sets of this and last year. And for the accessory you get a huge scope of toys: two Lego sets, weapons (for carnival), a teddy bear and a RC car. What do you want more?! And the minifigure constellation is perfect: one man, one woman and one kid.

The only point I have to criticise is that the cash point is set much to low (it must be set on two bricks on top of each other and not only on one brick - the saleswoman will get backaches very soon).

But otherwise it's perfect and I can't wait to (hopefully) get it! :thumbup:

P.S

Since there are no TRU stores here in Greece, does this mean that this set is not going to be available in other physical toy shops? There were some sets in the past marked as "TRU Exclusive" and these sets made it to toy shops in Greece. Are we dealing with the same thing here?

Some pages ago legomilk mentioned that 8404 as well as 7848 will be sold via TRU and S@H. The only question is 1. whether this set will be available in every country and 2. whether it will everywhere where it is sold be available via TRU and S@H - or only via TRU.

7848-box.jpg

Thank you very much for this information, grogall! :classic:

So I hope these two sets will be available from S@H up from the 10th of July, too (since I only order via S@H).

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Now I thought the 8404 was going to be TRU, S@H and Lego branded stores, but the 7448......Hmm, of course TRU and S@H, but I'm not sure about Lego's own stores ?

Plus I wonder if this is a new trend for Lego, actual branded sets i.e. TRU, what will Shell or Macca's make a return one day ?

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

The TRU truck set looks nice, especially having a small toy shop as an extra! :thumbup: This blue colour looks beautiful. It's still huge though but what the heck... :tongue:

P.S

Please excuse me for not knowing, but does Greece use the Euro? I'm moving to Germany in November for my job, and since I'll be on a military base, I'll have access to US and European sets. I'd be completely cool with shipping you a copy if you just pay for shipping. I'll be getting sets from whichever source is cheaper.

No one here played with toy guns as a kid? What crazy European rules do you guys follow? :tongue:

I played with toy guns all the time, and then made guns out of LEGOs, so what is the big deal?

I think the big deal is that a wide section of the world views/viewed guns as inappropriate as toys. LEGO's founder had a very strict no weapons policy, which under his son was watered down to 'only historical/fantasy weapons', which under his grandson/TLG has become 'plus modern weapons in licenced themes'. This is a little step further to weapons in Town.

You also miss the point, it's not 'crazy European rules', it's a different but very valid European outlook on life. The big deal is many view the militaristic views of Americans brought up playing with guns, as very worrying, and don't want those values replicated across the rest of the world. It's probably too late though.

I think the big deal is that a wide section of the world views/viewed guns as inappropriate as toys. LEGO's founder had a very strict no weapons policy, which under his son was watered down to 'only historical/fantasy weapons', which under his grandson/TLG has become 'plus modern weapons in licenced themes'. This is a little step further to weapons in Town.

You also miss the point, it's not 'crazy European rules', it's a different but very valid European outlook on life. The big deal is many view the militaristic views of Americans brought up playing with guns, as very worrying, and don't want those values replicated across the rest of the world. It's probably too late though.

Buy more LEGO and LEGO will follow your way.

USA and Germany are the biggest sellers of LEGO in the world, so they aim things for for the USA. LEGO guns have been around for a very long time, at least 15 years, LEGO Pirates had guns in 1989, this is nothing new. I played with guns as a kid, I have never fired a real one. It's a TOY. The cheapest things they can ad to a set is a 12 cent gun piece, oh no-es!!!

Box photo of 7848 is found, it is a ToysRus Truck which is the same design with 3221 LEGO Truck,

but with a small ToysRus shop!

Let's compare.

7848 TRU Truck

7848-box.jpg

3221 LEGO City Truck

3221-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

I'd like to have them both! Will the TRU truck be sold in Australia by any chance?