How much do you want elves?

Elves?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you want them?

• I have to have them
    • I'd buy them, but...
    • I'm not interested in any more fantasy stuff
    • Depends on the sets

I would buy them I think, but then I hope it are good sets like the Market Village.

I don't like it when I buy a set and it is built in no-time. The build is always the nicest experience from a new set.

So I say: Bring 'em on, but not too childish please. :grin::sweet:

Mmm, sounds like a nice castle subtheme. I imagine it would a few nice pieces but it not really not my kind of tea :hmpf_bad:

Okay, since this has been bothering me for so long, I'm going to say something about it, but only this once: it's spelled FACTION, people, not fraction. Faction is a group of people, fraction is a piece of something. Please remember this, if only for my sanity's sake. :tongue:

I know that this particular point of view seems to offend the majority here but I find fantasy themes somewhat dull.

I'm not offended by this, I'm just wondering how you can consider something that isn't real (like magic, elves, trolls, undead) boring, while thinking that something that's present in our everyday lives (like thieves, farms, warfare) is much more exciting. I know it's just a matter of taste and opinion, but I'm still confused about that. :sceptic:

I'd like to have elves, but I have conditions. :tongue:

Many of these have been mentioned before. They should have tree dwellings or at least buildings with lots of greenery attached; they should be as "human" as possible (no new head mold, just a yellow head with an elven face); unlike orcish helmets, their hair / headgear should be compatible with the breastplate armour piece; they should have lots of the classic bow with arrow but not the round shield or any other gear with that ugly bow&arrow pattern that could be seen on that particular Castle map thingy; and I want a torso design that could be used for a human faction, too (e.g. no funny coloured skin visible like on one of the orc torsos).

I'm hoping for a colour scheme of dark green / sand green / tan / dark tan / dark brown with silver accents.

And - even though I love the books as well as the movies - no LOTR / The Hobbit license please!

Edited by Hun

We had normal Castle stuff for like 30 friggin' Years.

10 years. After that we had some really weird Castle stuff for another 20 years. I too would like to see some normal castle stuff for a change. But I prefer big quality castle sets with orcs and elves over humans with flimsy castles with indefensible walls.

I think it was about time for something different, and i personally thing the fantasy theme is the best in castle since the early 90's.

Definitely. The '80s were the golden age of Castle in my opinion. In the '90s it started to get weird. Although the occasional ghost, wizard or dragon was kinda funny and not nearly as bad as that fright knight stuff.

It would be odd if they'd start yet again a new castle era, this one only been running for not even 3 years. This theme has a LOT of potential, and i would love to see elves, though i agree on that it mostly depends on sets, there can be awesome stuff with other factions too.

I don't mind elves, but I'd love it if they could double as Forestmen instead. Furthermore, my preference is towards realistic sets with lots of bricks rather than tiny flimsy sets that try to be as spectacular as possible. I'd love to see a return of the classic big trebuchet, supply carts, civilians and realistic buildings (something that goes with that market village, for example), and not just for the humans, but also for the other factions.

And dare I hope for a return of the Black Falcons?

As the enemy of the elves, I visualize humans. Elves are rooted in nature, and encroaching civilization would be an interesting enemy. Even something as banal as medieval lumberjacks would be interesting. It doesn't always have to be catapults :sadnew:

Okay, since this has been bothering me for so long, I'm going to say something about it, but only this once: it's spelled FACTION, people, not fraction. Faction is a group of people, fraction is a piece of something. Please remember this, if only for my sanity's sake. :tongue:

I'm not offended by this, I'm just wondering how you can consider something that isn't real (like magic, elves, trolls, undead) boring, while thinking that something that's present in our everyday lives (like thieves, farms, warfare) is much more exciting. I know it's just a matter of taste and opinion, but I'm still confused about that. :sceptic:

When it comes down to it, I find most fantasy themes to be just as cliche as their non-fantasy counterparts. Something being based in fantasy doesn't make it original or unique. Don't get me wrong; I very much like LOTR and other fantasy fare. I just don't find it to be that exciting when it comes to LEGO. The thing that bothers me most is that recent castle lines (KKI, KKII and the current line) have been focused almost solely on conflict. All three lines have a clearly defined set of heroes and villians. This seems even more pronounced with the introduction of fantasy creatures (monstrous skeletons, hideous trolls vs. heroic dwarves and men. I miss the ambiguity and open-ended themes of long ago.

I'm not going to pretend that a pack of bandits is more original than a band of elves (neither is particularly unique). I simply have a preference for the former over the latter just as some people love history just as others love science or math. My indifference to fantasy figures is simply a matter of personal preference.

The thing that bothers me most is that recent castle lines (KKI, KKII and the current line) have been focused almost solely on conflict. All three lines have a clearly defined set of heroes and villians. This seems even more pronounced with the introduction of fantasy creatures (monstrous skeletons, hideous trolls vs. heroic dwarves and men. I miss the ambiguity and open-ended themes of long ago.

While I wouldn't say it really bothers me, I get where you're coming from. I always loved the civilians of the Castle theme. That first guy in the '80s with the medieval hood and a cart was my favourite minifig. I also loved designing impenetrable castles, mind you, and I definitely had my crusader-black falcon battles, but it's more as part of a world that should have been fleshed out more, than as just a story with protagonists and conflict.

I really need to buy that medieval market village. It's exactly the kind of thing I love. (And of course it's going to get wrapped up in a orc-crownie conflict, but it's going to be more about how it affects the civilians than about who wins.)

You got your Medieval Market Village, so stop whining! :tongue:

It wouldn't make any sense to me to just stop producing Fantasy Era for a year just to release a few sets without any fantasy elements , and then continue with it after that.

I agree

Love to have them! I really think they'll be made and I'm optimistic that they'll do very well.

As the enemy of the elves, I visualize humans. Elves are rooted in nature, and encroaching civilization would be an interesting enemy. Even something as banal as medieval lumberjacks would be interesting. It doesn't always have to be catapults :sadnew:

I was sort of thinking the same thing, maybe like the dwarves don't get along with the elves. The only problem is that Lego would never make conflict between two "good guy" factions. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Spyder

I'm sure we'll get them next year, and I can't wait. The question is will they keep running all these other character types - skeletons, trolls, dwarves - at the same time?

For their enemies, some sort of ghoul or ghost minifigs? Perhaps they could be see-through or wispy looking.

Personally I think Snake from Space Police makes for a great Cyclops MOC if they just wheel out more skeletons.

Back to the elves themselves though, we definitely need something different for their habitat, like tree houses. *cough* Lothlorien *cough*, as some of our number have been saying. That Troll castle was just too much like any other knights' castle.

I don't want fantasy stuff. Castle could be a great theme, if TLG pays more attention at details and historical accurate buildings instead of dragons and other ugly creatures. :sick:

The Fantasy part should be scrapped, instead of adding another fantasy faction.

When it comes down to it, I find most fantasy themes to be just as cliche as their non-fantasy counterparts. Something being based in fantasy doesn't make it original or unique. Don't get me wrong; I very much like LOTR and other fantasy fare. I just don't find it to be that exciting when it comes to LEGO. The thing that bothers me most is that recent castle lines (KKI, KKII and the current line) have been focused almost solely on conflict. All three lines have a clearly defined set of heroes and villians. This seems even more pronounced with the introduction of fantasy creatures (monstrous skeletons, hideous trolls vs. heroic dwarves and men. I miss the ambiguity and open-ended themes of long ago.

I'm not going to pretend that a pack of bandits is more original than a band of elves (neither is particularly unique). I simply have a preference for the former over the latter just as some people love history just as others love science or math. My indifference to fantasy figures is simply a matter of personal preference.

I'm with you blueandwhite.

I don't want another fantasy faction either.

I already have a box full of trolls, skelletons, dragons, wizzards, witches, and dwarfs.

The result of the elves sets for me will be; I will buy them, put the elves in the afore mentioned box and use the parts (maybe new weapons) for MOCs.

But the thing I really want is another human faction. Not good vs evil, but man vs man.

I'm hoping they will rerelease some Black falcons :wub: since they are in the new minifig collection.

But I guess, given the direction of the line, we won't be getting another human faction any time soon.

The only problem is that Lego would never make conflict between two "good guy" factions. :hmpf_bad:

What does it matter what the "official" conflict is? You could very well put dwarves attacking the elven settlement, and vice versa. TLG doesn't have access to what goes on in your imagination. :wink:

Sure, there probably will never be official sets with dwarves and elves posing against each other, but so what? It doesn't stop anyone from posing them like that themselves.

Castle could be a great theme, if TLG pays more attention at details and historical accurate buildings instead of dragons and other ugly creatures. :sick:

Haha, show me one Castle-themed building that is "historically accurate"! All the sets and factions so far have been imaginary, the new factions just add a little twist to it all. :wink:

I WANT ELVES!!!

...but in the end, as with any other new set/theme, it will depend on the sets themselves, the minifigs, back up story...etc...u know, usual stuff that makes u buy them...

:pir-laugh:

I WANT ELVES!!!

...but in the end, as with any other new set/theme, it will depend on the sets themselves, the minifigs, back up story...etc...u know, usual stuff that makes u buy them...

:pir-laugh:

exactly, same here. :thumbup:

Haha, show me one Castle-themed building that is "historically accurate"! All the sets and factions so far have been imaginary, the new factions just add a little twist to it all. :wink:

Eeh, yes, you have a point there. I change my words in "less unrealistic"... :classic:

To answer the question, I want elves so much that I'd be willing to eat my own face to get them.

Of course they have to have their tree forts and whatnot, then the face eating may commence!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I think Elves will be great. It will give us more variation with which to play with according to our imagination. If you want to use the existing dwarves and create a battle/story against elves then that's up to your imagination. You can even use the elves to fight against elves. Its up to your imagination. The Lego pieces are just the tools to allow you to play/create what you want.

I've got some bad news.

This weekend at Brickworld 2009 Steve Witt (Community Relations Coordinator for the LEGO Group) anounced that there were no plans for elves. It was said in front of 500+ AFOL's at a Q&A session following his opening adress and he additionally stated that the appearance of elves in promotional materiel had simply been an artists need to fill in some space.

Sorry.

I wasn't too interested in Elves, but somehow this makes me want them more.