Gladiator, very impressive army mate...cant even imagine how much money and time it took away from you. Have you though of adding different heads instead of having the same one for your horsemen, them "hoodie raiders" and crowsbowmen? The orc army looks amazing. So far a brilliant collection. Looking forward for your future updates.

Here is my army so far:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=gogobig

Brickshelf is not being friendly so i'll have to wait a bi to upload the rest of my factions.

Here is my humble troll army:

orc.png

I am really into trolls at the moment because I recently got the troll warship. :tongue:

This thread reminds me of the one that is for all themes and features a ton of Star Wars armies. It's amazing how many of the same minif people have. BTW Why do you all call these Castle good guys "crownies" even though only the kind wears a crown? icon14.gif

Dang! There's some amazing armies out here! :oh::wub:

Very impressive guys, must have cost you all a TON!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

BTW Why do you all call these Castle good guys "crownies" even though only the kind wears a crown?

The "good guys" all have crowns on their shield and armor.

Very nice armies, I hope to someday amass a Classic Space man army (not the new style of course). It is interesting how amassing a lego army has a Lord of the Rings type of feel to it, with so many minifigures being involved.

The "good guys" all have crowns on their shield and armor.

Ahhhh *smacks forehead* I see now, I guess that shoulda been obvious. So that makes the bad guys, "Skullies?" The skull on their shield would hmake a nice tattoo. :classic:

Question for you army builders. This mostly applies to the more recent themes, since the earlier ones were mostly clone soldiers.

What ratio of cheap to expensive minifigs do you find yourself buying? By cheap, I mean the more available minifigs that are in multiple sets, while the more expensive ones are the ones that are only avilable in those expensive sets.

Like for the Fantasy Era theme. A regular crownie would be the cheap one, the grey knight/king(you can use his torso as a noblemen/aristocrat warrior if you get multiples), and a golden knight one be the more expensive one.

If I had the money I would buy at least 10 golden knights to have some sort of elite skirmishing party, or lots of money buy like 50+ to get a elite squadron of golden knights. But I only have 2.

I am going to start saving up my money for the future castle set and try to get mass minifigs. I guess my crownies will consist of some small section of the future army. Or just of an army of a small area.

For trolls and dwarves there isn't really a distinction, except trolls have the troll king/sorceress as the expensive ones.

Here is my humble troll army:

*PIC*

I am really into trolls at the moment because I recently got the troll warship. :tongue:

Yesss... Join to the Trorcs side my dear! (Troll+ Orc= Trorc)

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Question for you army builders. This mostly applies to the more recent themes, since the earlier ones were mostly clone soldiers.

What ratio of cheap to expensive minifigs do you find yourself buying? By cheap, I mean the more available minifigs that are in multiple sets, while the more expensive ones are the ones that are only avilable in those expensive sets.

Like for the Fantasy Era theme. A regular crownie would be the cheap one, the grey knight/king(you can use his torso as a noblemen/aristocrat warrior if you get multiples), and a golden knight one be the more expensive one.

If I had the money I would buy at least 10 golden knights to have some sort of elite skirmishing party, or lots of money buy like 50+ to get a elite squadron of golden knights. But I only have 2.

I am going to start saving up my money for the future castle set and try to get mass minifigs. I guess my crownies will consist of some small section of the future army. Or just of an army of a small area.

For trolls and dwarves there isn't really a distinction, except trolls have the troll king/sorceress as the expensive ones.

Well, I've seen quite a few armies mostly built out of the basic, widely available Crown figs. Many people buy multiples of the Knight impulse set, for example, as it gives them a footsoldier as well as knight's equipment for a second fig.

I myself tend to custom-build all my soldiers. If you check out my Brickshelf, you'll see that even my most basic Crownies have legs, arms and heads that are different from the stock figs, and as I always buy new, I suppose they all count as expensive. My Crown knights come from the Final Joust set, but I outfitted them with new legs, arms, helmets and white plumes. Again: expensive. :classic:

Not to mention the other factions where I use multiples of the black quiver and bow, samurai helmets, ninja wraps, forestman shields, tan arms, obscure Power Miners heads, etc. So the average cost of my footsoldiers is around $5, and the knights are well above $10 each.

As for the more expensive special figs (wizards, new king, orc king & queen, golden knight, female figs), I usually buy just one of each and use them as distinct high-ranking persons or civilian characters, as opposed to the 12-copies-of-the-same-face units of my armies.

Fortunately, I don't collect non-human characters, so it's a bit easier to justify my set purchases by selling off the orcs, trolls, dwarves & co.

I finally have a decent picture of the Baron Stackton's men from BrickCon:

3991496750_4556b3e61c_m.jpg

Not all of them, but at good chunk with the Baron and his trusty dog.

Gogobig. I am truly impressed by the custom factions you have included. A lot of sticker work! The color schemes for your several different factions of troll or orc type characters is awesome! the rangers are also fantastically random in appearance. All that changing of torsos and legs and arms is very expensive. I am impressed greatly with what you have done.

I would like to do this type of customization but I am not sure I could pull it off on the scale I need. My armies are actually a lot bigger than yours. I am at about 3500 figures in my castle armies. Although I have some custom factions they tend to be small and are drowned out by the masses of stock figures I have. Perhaps one day I can pull something like this off. I do customize my leaders but those are about 1 in 15 of my total figures.

I would like to give a very very large thank you to everyone for posting! I love looking at all of the armies out there. Big and small, custom and stock, it is a lot of fun. :thumbup:

Gogobig. I am truly impressed by the custom factions you have included. A lot of sticker work! The color schemes for your several different factions of troll or orc type characters is awesome! the rangers are also fantastically random in appearance. All that changing of torsos and legs and arms is very expensive. I am impressed greatly with what you have done.

I would like to do this type of customization but I am not sure I could pull it off on the scale I need. My armies are actually a lot bigger than yours. I am at about 3500 figures in my castle armies. Although I have some custom factions they tend to be small and are drowned out by the masses of stock figures I have. Perhaps one day I can pull something like this off. I do customize my leaders but those are about 1 in 15 of my total figures.

I would like to give a very very large thank you to everyone for posting! I love looking at all of the armies out there. Big and small, custom and stock, it is a lot of fun. :thumbup:

DaleDVM, thanks mate, Im very glad you like my army. It took me a bit over 4 years and many Benjamin Frankelins ;) to accomplish this. Wow, 3500 minifigs? Id love to see that. I absolutely enjoy looking at armies as well, so post some pics. How many factions do you have?

Well its been a long time since I have even seen lego but After cleaning out my basement I came across the last remaining box of my vast lego collection that survived 4 moves. Covered in dust and Spiders these brave warriors fought on so that one day they could see their kingdoms again.

Army1.jpg

army2.jpg

army3.jpg

army4.jpg

army5.jpg

Well its been a long time since I have even seen lego but After cleaning out my basement I came across the last remaining box of my vast lego collection that survived 4 moves. Covered in dust and Spiders these brave warriors fought on so that one day they could see their kingdoms again.

There is a ghost in there! icon5.gif Is he haunting the soldiers? Or maybe he has a deal with the soldiers to haunt their foes? I like him. I want a ghost! icon6.gif

EDITUpon closer inspection of the ghost's face, I see that it's really a man under a sheet. Ahaa! So he is a soldier too but he has the task of pretending to be a ghost to scare the foes! I get it now! :)

I'll post my army tomorrow. I got 2 Castle sets and I love the figures.

Edited by Grimmy

Okay here are me and my 6 yrs old niece's little humble army. (The word humble is fitting for a small army. I like how someone else introduced theirs earlier that way :) )

If you're wondering why the Dwarves & Orcs are friends, it's because my niece doesn't like them being enemies.

lol When I try to make the Orcs attack the mine and steal the gold, she makes the Dwarves give up some gold to get them to stop attacking and we end up coming to a deal where the Orcs work to guard the mine while the Dwarves mine and then they both split the gold, silver, jewels. So they are all friends. :classic:

DwarvesMines_sml.jpg

TrollWarship_Figures.jpg

The Troll Warship is huge! Or rather long! It is 5 brown board pieces long!

TrollWarship_Ship.jpg

DwarvesMines_MiniFigs.jpg

All from the 2 Castle Sets: Dwarves Mines & Troll Warship

7 Orcs

5 Dwarves

2 Big Trolls (I think they look like Ogres)

1 Crownie Knight

Comments Welcome :classic:

Edited by Grimmy

Okay here are me and my 6 yrs old niece's little humble army. (The word humble is fitting for a small army. I like how someone else introduced theirs earlier that way :) )

Is that a brown dwarf helmet I see?

Here's my Crownies 90% complete.

90% Complete Crownies1

90% Complete Crownies2

Very impressive! Do you plan on creating a battle with them? Perhaps the war elephants storming through the mass of crown soldiers.

Is that a brown dwarf helmet I see?

Very impressive! Do you plan on creating a battle with them? Perhaps the war elephants storming through the mass of crown soldiers.

Thank Sir Dillion. At the moment I'm trying to get them into final 'parade configuration.' The it'll transfor to Brickwars! Its been a two year project and will end up:

80 Archers

80 Spearmen

40 Swordsmen

80 Pikemen

14 mounted archers

14 medium cav (blue/gold barding)

14 heavy cav (chainmail barding)

regiment's colour party - TBA

leader parties (Capt of thhe Archers etc)- TBA

mounted general's party - TBA

Griffin mounted General

Crown Prince mounted on Dragon

Royal family - TBA

As for the elephants, they are part of the orc force:

4 elephants (one with leader)

6 standard brown trolls pushing two siege towers n a battering ram

1 elite brown troll with leader of siege engine

1 elite brown troll with Orc king

1 brown horntail dragon with sorceress atop

12 green trolls with riders on their backs

2 elite green trolls with leaders atopm (1-6std)

80 odd elite orcs

120 odd dark orcs

60 odd earth orcs

this one is waaaaaaay in development.

Skellies after Crownies:

100 unarmed cannon fodder skellies (old white swing arm)

50 white skellie mounted inf (sword, shield, white skellie horse)

50 black skellies with mace n shields

undead company - TBA

two dragons

undead leader mounted on Cerberus (three headed dog)

undead leader party TBA

necromancer

Look to this weekend for finished Crownies, 2010 for the rest

4 elephants (one with leader)

6 standard brown trolls pushing two siege towers n a battering ram

1 elite brown troll with leader of siege engine

1 elite brown troll with Orc king

1 brown horntail dragon with sorceress atop

12 green trolls with riders on their backs

2 elite green trolls with leaders atopm (1-6std)

80 odd elite orcs

120 odd dark orcs

60 odd earth orcs

Any pics?! I am so curious how they look like! And Elephants in orc army? Crazy! I like it! But I preffer use my Stego-rocketlaucher xD

Any pics?! I am so curious how they look like! And Elephants in orc army? Crazy! I like it! But I preffer use my Stego-rocketlaucher xD

Sorry about the 'fuzziness' of the picture:

Orc Army Elephants

I will possibly be putting the majority of the Skellie army together over the weekend. That is dependant on how much of the Crownies I get done over the next few days.

Edited by burkey42