Posted (edited)

I just acquired set 8649 Nitro Menace a wanted to ask everyone, Are these old Racers sets Technically Technic? Obviously the brick-built ones aren't, but the larger ones are built very similarly to the Technic sets of the time, just without as many functions.

Picture for good measure

53598903260_f50f9217e9_c.jpg

Edited by The_Tinkerer

Strictly speaking, Racers is a separate theme to Technic. 

But themes are essentially just product marketing. That set is like 99% Technic parts. It's a Technic set, innit?

47 minutes ago, heyitsdisty said:

Strictly speaking, Racers is a separate theme to Technic. 

But themes are essentially just product marketing. That set is like 99% Technic parts. It's a Technic set, innit?

But remember that some racers set had almost no technic parts. So its a little weird indeed but no different to say, lego city in some ways

Racers was an umbrella theme that had all kinds of builds as long as they were, well, race cars. Don't think too hard about it.

They're clearly pretty much the same build, just labeled differently. Like I said, don't think too hard about it. Some Racers builds are Technic builds, some aren't. End of story.

Posted (edited)

8353 Slammer Rhino has a Technic function that adjusts the ride height, involving a shock absorber.

8353-1.jpg?200212190730

Meanwhile, 8472 has the pretty cool directional control system that's governed by a linkage depending on which bumper hits something. The B-model is also reminiscent of the 4WD X-Track set, with gears that can be rearranged to customize its performance.

8472-1.jpg?200201071200

Oh, and the Power Crusher and Slammer Raptor sets have the  rubber band-driven ejection feature, though whether or not those are Technic is pretty much up to you.

8469-1.jpg?200112121200

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

As I like building across all themes: It's all LEGO.

Best,
Thorsten

Not any different than the current Space theme, it has sets in Technic, Friends, Duplo, and City. 

Those can be both Technic and Racers.

I think this is as much Technic as Bionicle would be, 2001 still labeled Bionicle as Technic , but 2002 did not, and that's also the year those technic-like Racers appeared. 

In my collection it has to say Technic on the box for it to be a Technic set, it rules out many racers sets otherwise the collection will get even more out of hand :wall:

To be completely honest they are as much technic as the recent 1:10 scale empty shells of supercars that they put out. 

7 hours ago, LvdH said:

To be completely honest they are as much technic as the recent 1:10 scale empty shells of supercars that they put out. 

Exactly what I was thinking.

13 hours ago, LvdH said:

And there are also system sets that have better technical functions than said supercar sets…