Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fluwoeb said:

that is just what I saw on Reddit. (see the link I attached to my previous comment) I hope that doesn't end up happening...

That photo has nothing to do with the upcoming set, that's just a placeholder, as usual in these early leaked info videos.

13 minutes ago, R4ph said:

the photo at the top of the thread is the "old" g500 which was released in 2016

Isn't there a 2024 variant as well? As far as I understand it has been re-released every year since then with minor modifications.

Edited by gyenesvi

5 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

C'mon, you can't be wishing for that. That's the lazy unrealistic approach that many of us are bored of. It's exactly the requirement of a live axle in a tight space that would force the evolution of the suspension parts.

uh I meant 2 shocks per wheel , like on the 42110

13 minutes ago, Fluwoeb said:

@SNIPE Idk, that is just what I saw on Reddit. (see the link I attached to my previous comment) I hope that doesn't end up happening...

It won't. It is not from TLG or is simply fake. Look at the piece count: 3662 pieces

1 minute ago, gyenesvi said:

That photo has nothing to do with the upcoming set, that's just a placeholder, as usually in these early leaked info videos.

Thanks. Yeah, I haven't looked up a bunch of leaked info stuff like this before so that was a bad assumption on my part. lol

2 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

uh I meant 2 shocks per wheel , like on the 42110

Doesn't matter how many and what size of shocks, as long as it's the same old independent double wishbone suspension.

I am just hoping they don't disappoint us with pendular axles like in 9398 or 42099 instead of live axles... though I think the portal axle setup will be more interesting in comparison. I say that because if the G500 set ends up having a V8 piston engine under the hood, then there will be limited room for the axle, not to mention that the portal axle design will put the axle higher up in the chassis leaving less room for a live axle setup. But at this point I am only just speculating. :pir-classic:

Oh wait, never mind... the front will have independent suspension... duh.

I really do not have too much hope up for this set, at least not yet. The main reason/culprit is that 18+ logo. Usually, those of us who are less experienced enjoy all the initial posts about an upcoming set from the Technic legends here on Eurobricks as part of the hype up. It's cool. I see many are [quite legitimately] comparing or are hoping the Merc G500 as an evolution over the Technic Defender. But, please be mindful that the Defender was an 11+ set. Sure, 18+ was not a Technic thing back then but when a set like Merc Zetros or Airbus H175 or Defender or  Audi Q e-tron still comes every year with no 18+ logo where their functional performance is the topmost priority from the maker it looks like Lego still thinks or envisions 18+ as a display-oriented material. Yes, the Cat D11(T) or the Liebherr LR13000 are flagships but I think they are the exceptions within the 18+ realm. I think there was a set released between 42110 and the upcoming 42177 which mostly fall in this jeep/pickup category- it is the 42126 Ford Raptor which I think is notoriously bad in terms of out-of-the-box experience- be it the building Techniques or the functions. That rear live axle was weak. The front suspension was wobbly. The tires were not right. Some built modules felt a bit unfinished. Since 2023, the situation seems to have improved upon the release of Yamaha MT10SP or the Peugeot 9x8 Hypercar. One has revolutionary gearbox the other one has one of the best sturdy/rigid builds. However, the latter did not include any gearbox. I have built it in January and honestly the magic goes away as soon as the building is done no matter how beautifully its pullrod/pushrod suspension system was implemented. I fear, the 4x4 will end up being a Display Queen despite having more than double the piece count of 42126 or being labeled as an 4x4 Off-roader of something which is a real life top-notch off-roader. Yes, the 42126 can be made into awesome creations or can be improved greatly over its original setup but here people are hoping for an out-of-the-box wow factor that we had experienced back in 2019.

Again, I will be very happy to have myself proven wrong! Continue this awesome discussion!

I can't really imagine this set being based on the old 4x4 squared. And I would love for this set to be RC like the upcoming Porsche GT4 e-performance (which may or may not introduce a new generation of LEGO RC) and I think a G63 4x4 squared in red (below pic) would be really cool.

But I'm not even sure if this set will be the 4x4 squared or not as it only has "4x4" in the name, perhaps being a normal G-Wagon (without portal axles) and with some type of 4x4 system in the set. Plus the G500 (also as in the set's name) is the regular G-Wagon, the current 4x4 squared is only available in G63 AMG form.

Used-2022-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-G63-AMG-

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

but feel that some modules in that model is over-engineered / overbuilt

This happens unfortunately to many Technic models. Last candidate for this is the 42146 Liebherr with many overengineered modules and parts, where other more important parts at other places was simply saved away. This means to me that a final review stage for a final model does not take place before it is going on the market, because an other designer with some distance to the model will simply see this

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

A lot of guesses can be right about the colour, but haven't seen anybody mention this year's new one: reddish orange. I think this is a possible choice as it's new and eye-catching enough to not be abruptly vibrant. Yes, the space sets use it as one of their main colours, but a fully reddish orange car would be more than welcome and can widen the range of parts in ths freshly released colour.

Don't forget that the G-Wagon will receive a facelift this year, so it's likely TLG will botch up the looks and make a hybrid looking version.

mercedes-benz-g-class-facelift-spy-photo

On 3/13/2024 at 11:27 AM, gyenesvi said:

That portal hub piece is huge and would not fit into this scale (assuming it's the same as Land Rover). Have you ever tried building with those portal hubs? They result in horrible axle geometry. They don't even fit inside the defender rims, which would be too big/wide for this model anyway. And they result in a really bad scrub radius, by which the wheels would surely get stuck in the fenders. I am hoping that they used the planetary in 42180 to clear out the existing stock. Other than that, it's just for the looks, to make the model lifted.

To make this model with portal hubs, they'd have to design new ones, which would be great, but really hard as some compromises would have to be made. Something like the one on the right of this picture would fit into the Defender rims and would give good scrub radius.

It seems to be possible to build a portal hub from existing lego parts, with the pivot point just outside the rim. A design somewhat like this would be sturdy enough for a non-motorized model (and for motorized MOCs, there is no U-joint to break).

1280x569.jpg

It would be possible to put the pivot point even closer to the center of the tires, but then the upper ball joint would have to be outside the rim and above the tire :wink:

13 minutes ago, icekusbe said:

It seems to be possible to build a portal hub from existing lego parts, with the pivot point just outside the rim. A design somewhat like this would be sturdy enough for a non-motorized model (and for motorized MOCs, there is no U-joint to break).

I know it is possible at such a large scale (even at a smaller scale with custom rims), I assume you are using Defender rims and 96mm tires, though those tires would be a bit too big for 1:10 scale, it should be around 80mm tires, and then that rim is a bit too big (with 80 mm tires it would not look like a proper offroader, but like a street SUV, killing the point). Anyway, the construction is nice, though the upper ball joint is a bit too high, it will result in A-arms 6 studs apart, a bit harder to work with and the upper arm being quite high in the chassis. In any case, a special part would be good to have for this :)

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, R0Sch said:

Don't forget that the G-Wagon will receive a facelift this year, so it's likely TLG will botch up the looks and make a hybrid looking version.

Mercedes won't share with TLG the details of upcoming facelift i assume

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted image.

18 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Mercedes won't share with TLG the details of upcoming facelift i assume

Hmm, my assumption would be that the release of the lego model is timed for this year exactly to coincide with the facelift and to promote it. The lego Land Rover model also came out when the new real car. Anyways, I guess the lego model can’t be accurate enough to show the small differences brought about by the facelift, so they might not even need to know the new details.

Im most interested in the potential for new colors and building techniques. Given that this is a manual model, who cares what wheel hubs it has? There will probably be a lot of RC mods for this anyways, so just swap out the hubs.

And given how difficult it is to design a free axle, they would probably just use a power joint instead. 

Also I wouldnt be too surprised if they put new wheels that fix the hub issue in this one. It's a quasi-flagship model and lego seems more willing to experiment with new wheels and tires these days.

The original G500 uses normal hubs, only the squared version uses portal hubs. So if we're lucky we might see Audi's hubs in front.

1 hour ago, damian_kane_iv said:

who cares what wheel hubs it has? There will probably be a lot of RC mods for this anyways, so just swap out the hubs.

Well if there exists no proper portal hub in lego technic that would fit the scale (the rims), then we can't really swap it out to make the squared version.. which is what everyone seems to prefer :) So we care because this model would be a great opportunity to update the existing portal hub to make it much more usable.

33 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

So if we're lucky we might see Audi's hubs in front.

I think too that that's the most probable.

5 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Well if there exists no proper portal hub in lego technic that would fit the scale (the rims), then we can't really swap it out to make the squared version.. which is what everyone seems to prefer :) So we care because this model would be a great opportunity to update the existing portal hub to make it much more usable.

I think too that that's the most probable.

Do the portal hubs fit the old 56 x 34 mm wheels? I can see how they dont work with the Defender wheels, but then I always thought those were poorly designed wheels in general, and they even make using the non portal hubs a pain unless you're building some vanilla double wishbone.

2 hours ago, damian_kane_iv said:

Do the portal hubs fit the old 56 x 34 mm wheels? I can see how they dont work with the Defender wheels, but then I always thought those were poorly designed wheels in general, and they even make using the non portal hubs a pain unless you're building some vanilla double wishbone.

You can put 56mm rims on it, but they won’t be inside the rim. The steering pivot will be so far out that it causes a huge scrub radius, so the wheels would get caught in any fender you put on it. The Defender rims could be good for a portal construction that’s a bit lower at the top and a bit narrower altogether, then it could fit inside the rim completely, with the steering pivot next to the wheel, eliminating all the problems.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:32 PM, therealjustin said:

If it's electric yellow I'm buying it day one! 

It definitely needs some type of portal axles and hopefully a new five-spoke rim design.

Burnt orange, tan, or neon yellow would be great colors for this set

34 minutes ago, StudWorks said:

Mercedes just revealed the G550, which swaps its V8 for a turbo six. This might be what the new set is going to be based off.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60294852/2025-mercedes-benz-g550-amg-g63-revealed/

Yep, I expect that's what they'll be basing it on!

Though the V8 is still an option, so Lego could go either way, and given that the V8 is more prestigious and likely more compact to implement, I'd guess they'd go that way.

1 hour ago, StudWorks said:

This might be what the new set is going to be based off.

Sounds highly probable. I can imagine the fenders and wheels of the Defender reused here.. (not happy)