Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

30 minutes ago, Nilker said:

I checked out this adventure available for download on one of the early reviews and I must say that it is a missed opportunity. Overall, the plot is interesting, fun and coherent, but to play it according to the rules of the latest edition of D&D, players need separate access to the rules. I was hoping that they would do something similar to the starter set, i.e. include statistics of these few monsters, skill descriptions and basic rules in the campaign. The adventure is about 15 pages longĀ (including player character cards and NPCs) and I think if they added another 15 pages it would fit easily. There is supposedly an alternative way to play the adventure, but if they want to encourage new players to get into D&D with this set, they are doing a poor job.

P.S. I have the necessary books and I will definitely try this campaign, but I am thinking about new players. You can probably find the missing rules on the Internet, but it would be more convenient to have them in one place.

That is a shame, I was hoping it would have stat blocks for all the monsters in the set at very least. I have a player's hand book and a starter set but I wasn't gonna get the monster manual or Dungeon masters guide until the new editions came out. I was considering using VIP points on it and I still might but that is a let down so I might just use them for a discount instead.

As promised, here is the Studio file for the Mimic Dice Box GWP: 5008325.io
5008325.png5008325_2.png

And the full part list:
mimic_part_list_1.pngmimic_part_list_2.png

Regarding D20 dice made of LEGO, would it be possible to add rubber bands around the clips of triangular road signs to make a die only from LEGO parts? I don't have that many or I'd try it myself.
ddQsDIm.png

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Regarding D20 dice made of LEGO, would it be possible to add rubber bands around the clips of triangular road signs to make a die only from LEGO parts? I don't have that many or I'd try it myself.
Ā 

Geometrically, it seems plausible... but even if you could get it together properly (no easy feat since all the connections would be on the inside), I'd worry that with that many tensioned rubber band connections in there the whole thing could potentially explode if the bands shifted a little when you rolled it. Probably best to stick with real dice for this one!

Edited by Lyichir

9 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Ā 

If you want to do it bias free, you could just use two LEGO 6 sided dice with different coloured tiles to identifyĀ each and use base 6 as your counting system and discard throws outside of 1-20. But better to use non-LEGO dice, especially if you are using non-LEGO pens, paper, guides and rulebooks, drinking out of non-LEGO cups and so on.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

If you want to do it bias free, you could just use two LEGO 6 sided dice with different coloured tiles to identifyĀ each and use base 6 as your counting system and discard throws outside of 1-20. But better to use non-LEGO dice, especially if you are using non-LEGO pens, paper, guides and rulebooks, drinking out of non-LEGO cups and so on.

I was not seriously thinking to actually replace real dice for play, it was rather a fun MOC idea to complement the Mimic dice chest because there are no dice included.

21 hours ago, Nilker said:

I checked out this adventure available for download on one of the early reviews and I must say that it is a missed opportunity. Overall, the plot is interesting, fun and coherent, but to play it according to the rules of the latest edition of D&D, players need separate access to the rules. I was hoping that they would do something similar to the starter set, i.e. include statistics of these few monsters, skill descriptions and basic rules in the campaign. The adventure is about 15 pages longĀ (including player character cards and NPCs) and I think if they added another 15 pages it would fit easily. There is supposedly an alternative way to play the adventure, but if they want to encourage new players to get into D&D with this set, they are doing a poor job.

P.S. I have the necessary books and I will definitely try this campaign, but I am thinking about new players. You can probably find the missing rules on the Internet, but it would be more convenient to have them in one place.

Where did you find the downloadable version early? Can you provide the link?

On 22.03.2024 at 14:48, legofan126 said:

Gdzie wcześniej znalazłeś wersję do pobrania? Czy możeszļ»æ podać link?ļ»æļ»æ

I don't have the adventure in file form, but as I wrote, I checked what it looked like in one of the early reviews.

Ā 

Stupid question but I've not bought a set like this day one before.

But when it's April first for VIPs, April fourth for everyone else, that means you can order it online on the first ( with an insiders account obvs) but you can't buy it in-store till the fourth? Right?

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

But when it's April first for VIPs, April fourth for everyone else, that means you can order it online on the first ( with an insiders account obvs) but you can't buy it in-store till the fourth? Right?

As an Insider, you should be able to buy the set before April 4. I could buy the MTS in the nearest LEGO store. And last year El Dorado Fortress, before they were available for the general public.

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Ā 

4 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

As an Insider, you should be able to buy the set before April 4. I could buy the MTS in the nearest LEGO store. And last year El Dorado Fortress, before they were available for the general public.

Worth noting this might vary a but as lego stores come in a few flavours, lego brand stores owned directly by lego should have the same insider program and offers as i understand it per GeoBrick, but some stores are only lego certified and owned by other companies (such as those here in Australia), so they have their own seperate vip program that is seperate to lego, but they still get some of the cool things but specifics might be a but different, a quick call or check in with the store itself might be safest

17 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

You ought to be able to buy it in-store before then if you have an Insiders account. I feel like that kind of "early release" promotion is less because they don't have the set ready for everyone, and more just to help stagger the initial demand a little to help reduce crowds (in-store) and site traffic (online).

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

You ought to be able to buy it in-store before then if you have an Insiders account. I feel like that kind of "early release" promotion is less because they don't have the set ready for everyone, and more just to help stagger the initial demand a little to help reduce crowds (in-store) and site traffic (online).

Yeah Stores usually get around 10 sets to start out with my local store is first come first serve.Ā  So hopefully when I stop by after work tomorrow there is one left.Ā Ā 

Just had time to get online and the Mimic GWP has gone already. Wow. I was on the fence about whether to order now, as the eyes are the only exclusive part, and I think I prefer others anyway, but that's a shame. I wonder if they will release more on April 4 for general release, or if that will be it? At least I can wait until a more enticing offer to buy comes along.

1 minute ago, RichardGoring said:

Just had time to get online and the Mimic GWP has gone already. Wow. I was on the fence about whether to order now, as the eyes are the only exclusive part, and I think I prefer others anyway, but that's a shame. I wonder if they will release more on April 4 for general release, or if that will be it? At least I can wait until a more enticing offer to buy comes along.

You could try your luck at one of the stores if you have one nearby, but there wonĀ“t be more gwps when all people get to buy them. But basically who wanted to buy it has insiders anyways, so doubt there are many people waiting for the 4th to get it ;).

Agreed it likely won't come back. Just pondering really. I wasn't too attached to it really, and would prefer something more interesting at a later date.

Curiously, people on Reddit are now saying that their orders withĀ the mimic GWP are now showing the GWP as being cancelled, with someone saying that it actually sold out after 30 minutes. Not sure how they know, but kind of shocking really.

3 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Curiously, people on Reddit are now saying that their orders withĀ the mimic GWP are now showing the GWP as being cancelled, with someone saying that it actually sold out after 30 minutes. Not sure how they know, but kind of shocking really.

In that case I would cancel the whole order. Anyways seems D&D is a bigger thing over in the US, in Europe it is still avaiable.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

So mine hasn't been cancelled (yet, knock on (printed tile) wood).Ā  I don't think I was in the first 30min, though.Ā  Technically, I ordered on the 31st, but I'm on the west coast, so when I ordered (10:15ish), it was already the 1st for over an hour by EST.Ā  I am assuming they make it available at the same time for the whole continental US at the same time.Ā  So we can call that a lower bound (or if it gets cancelled, an upper bound) on sell out time.Ā 

I ordered 7 hours after the set wen live. I did get mimic GWP added to my cart. But the mimic is still In Process abd the rest of the order has shipped.

I've been building this and I've not seen it mentioned so I thought I'd say; the new elf hair hair is dual moulded. Which is nice, it looks better ( especially compared to the painted on ears the gnome's pre-existing hair has, which in my set at least has subpar colour matching and was slightly splodgey at the edges, it still looks okay but I'm glad that the new part is dual moulded). Also means the CMF Gith's hair will be as it seems to use a recoloured copy of the new hair part.

I donā€™t have the set but Iā€™ve gone through the first two instruction booklets and it looks like a really nice build. Not being into D&D myself I wish it came without the dragon and was cheaper as a result. I like the Ideas design better optically but what the TLG designers did with it translates into a nice building experience or so it seems. Enjoy if you have it!

Also, I am not clear on the inn keeper/dark wizard minifig: are there two pairs of legs and two torsos (I doubt it) or is it just a second head + hood and cape to turn him into his true self? For the price would be nice to have the extra minifig.