Ngoc Nguyen

42171 Mercedes-AMG F1 W14 E Performance

38 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

But what's with the big hump on the nose in front of the driver?

To be honest, the whole car, especially the rear wing look a bit too much like a MOC.

Also, it seems the launch version of the W14 was the prototype:

Neuer Mercedes W14 ohne Lack wieder in schwarz - JESMB

Also really shows how the rear wheels are way too small on the Lego version.

19 minutes ago, 1gor said:

It has new 5 studs flip flip beams in black at least two in front of engine)

...or is it known 5 x 3 L beam with alternate holes...

I also thought it is 5L flip flop but it's 3x5 flip flop.

Edited by msk6003

Looks like Pirelli was not impressed by the McLaren F1 and cancelled the partnership with TLG. They didn't even want a sticker albeit getting slicks this time. Lego could at least have printed those bland wheel caps with a white line.

As I said before, doing half hearted things does not sit well and I wonder who the target audience is, because F1 fans will surely want correct wheels and decals.

3 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Looks like Pirelli was not impressed by the McLaren F1 and cancelled the partnership with TLG.

There's Pirelli branding (and tire side-printing) on the upcoming Speed Champions McLaren F1 car.

I wonder why the box says 1:8, isnt it 1:10? Was the 42141 McLaren also 1:8, dont think so. The trend with these cars from the last years was 1:10, it is not bigger than 42141 but says 1:8. Two cars in a row with 1:8 is pretty odd, the McLaren was 1:10 and then the SP3 was 1:8. Now this is 1:8 with upcoming Hypercar 1:8... weird

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

4 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

I wonder why the box says 1:8, isnt it 1:10? Was the 42141 McLaren also 1:8, dont think so. The trend with these cars from the last years was 1:10, it is not bigger than 42141 but says 1:8. Two cars in a row with 1:8 is pretty odd, the McLaren was 1:10 and then the SP3 was 1:8. Now this is 1:8 with upcoming Hypercar 1:8... weird

I don't think the McLaren was labelead anywhere as 1:10. Considering the size of the real cars and the dimensions of these, they are pretty close to 1:8

10 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I don't think the McLaren was labelead anywhere as 1:10. Considering the size of the real cars and the dimensions of these, they are pretty close to 1:8

Thanks for that, true the 42141 had no label for scale on box, I always thought it was 1:10 following the trend of cars the years before. This makes all no sense. As we know Technic has the 1:8 lineup with expensive Hypercars and parallel to that the 1:10 cars with simple functions. Now these simple cars that can do nothing are also 1:8 breaking the 1:10 lineup. People collecting 1:8 can put an F1 bolide next to Hypercar on shelf, but people collecting 1:10 are still missing models. Ok we got the 42156 in 1:10...

11 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Thanks for that, true the 42141 had no label for scale on box, I always thought it was 1:10 following the trend of cars the years before. This makes all no sense. As we know Technic has the 1:8 lineup with expensive Hypercars and parallel to that the 1:10 cars with simple functions. Now these simple cars that can do nothing are also 1:8 breaking the 1:10 lineup. People collecting 1:8 can put an F1 bolide next to Hypercar on shelf, but people collecting 1:10 are still missing models. Ok we got the 42156 in 1:10...

I don't think Technic is so strictly categorized by scale. We had multiple formula race cars in 1:8 scale before the hypercar lineup, 42000 for example, but 8674 was even labeled as 1:8 on the box.1:10 was used for a while but with the introduction of the Ford GT that seems to change as well. 

Remember we got the 42156 Peugeot in 1:10 scale last year. From marketing perspective this is weird. People collecting 1:8 cars have to buy two sets a year in a row in march and in june (same for 2022) but have then to wait two more years. Its more logic to release another 1:8 scale car in a year between where no other 1:8 hypercar appears.

Sorry but I don't think your collectors' perspective is valid for a wider audience, nobody has to buy anything. If someone is into F1 cars, they will get the F1 sets. If they only prefer supercars, they will only buy those. If someone wants to have everything, they will get what they can afford :)  

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

your collectors' perspective

Luckiliy I'm not a 1:8 collector :) But we can learn many things from that. TLG trys a large color variation for the 1:8 models that should fit all together on a shelf, so we will not see a black 1:8 Hypercar very soon.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is it just me or does this set feel like a 42141 reskin?

It's not just you. It's a reskin with a 10% price increase. Not even an attempt to add some details to the engine, let alone a gearbox or some sort of different function to the McLaren. At least they didn't print the wrong model year on the box this time.
LEGO-Technic-42171-Mercedes-AMG-F1-W14-E

Stick any brand to the Lego patch and there we go - it's another moneymaker. Who cares what's inside :shrug_oh_well:...

I've seen the real F1 car from season 2020 next to the AMG ONE in their Affalterbach HQ - it was a nice match! Wondering why they didn't ask CaDA to make one, but forgot to ask...

640x360.JPG640x360.JPG

Edited by brunojj1

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Is it just me or does this set feel like a 42141 reskin?

Agree

Edited by SNIPE

Correction: this model is acutally worse in terms of functions as it has no shock absorbers at all. The push and pull-rods are just leaning against the body. Guess that's the brilliant way to solve the springs sinking-in after prolonged shelf time.

judging from the pictures it unfortunately looks like it can't hold a candle to the Cada C64005W Alfa Romeo F1 (for double the retail price btw), proportions somehow look off...

very unfortunate since I like the team / livery and would have definitely considered buying it...

and WTF why no shock absorbers??

33 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

The push and pull-rods are just leaning against the body.

I don't think so, from this picture you can see the chassis side rockers tilted to an angle. This hints to some springs acting on them inside the chassis:

Merc_Susp_shit.jpg.778d4829abd91a7a37996b4c1f35ea12.jpg

Edited by Bensch55

For this price it better have suspension. 
Doesn’t the W14 have pullrod suspension in the back? The linkages seem to be going below the differential.

28 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Doesn’t the W14 have pullrod suspension in the back?

Yes, the real W14 has pullrods in the rear, so does the LEGO model. The only disappointing thing is that LEGO still uses rocker arms acting on traditional springs instead of something like the x928cx1 piece to mimic the torsion bars like the real thing has. Also, with this amount of space an anti roll bar and a heave spring aren't too much to ask for.

The W14 model does a lot better than the McLaren, but compared to the CaDa Alfa Romeo it still feels a lot cheaper.

1 hour ago, Bensch55 said:

I don't think so, from this picture you can see the chassis side rockers tilted to an angle. This hints to some springs acting on them inside the chassis:

Thanks. I now found the high resolution assets from LEGO newsroom and the red shock absorbers are visible. Double row?!
G78OP6F.png 

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Correction: this model is acutally worse in terms of functions as it has no shock absorbers at all. The push and pull-rods are just leaning against the body. Guess that's the brilliant way to solve the springs sinking-in after prolonged shelf time.

Maybe it's a bit early to jump on conclusions like that? The set clearly has shock absorbers, it also has pullrod suspension at the rear, and has HOG added. There's no cutout over the engine, but a removeable section, and we got the slick tires. Development compared to 42141 is clearly visible, so it's definitely not the same. We will have to wait and see with the set in hand if all these things are enough to have a decent build, but it's almost certainly better than the McLaren.