Brick Clicker has said that the 40687 Space Diner GWP will have a yellow and orange classic space figure. Not sure if that's a mistake, or the original report of white is a mistake, but interesting. May 14 release.

7 hours ago, Space78 said:

I think even beyond those reasons listed by @icm there is the fact that "space" is a crosscutting "theme" this year, which I don't believe Lego has done in the past.  The space theme this year may have more to do with Lego trying a new marketing strategy of a crosscutting theme across several lines (City, Friends, Technic, Duplo) than anything else.  But that's also a guess.

Here's another guess.  Sales of 10497 Galaxy Explorer were very strong and Lego decided it was time to try a "reboot" of a Space line.

I hope this will mean they will be getting more reimaginings of Lego space ships.  I just find it strange that we haven't got any so far this year.  I was hoping that we were going to get a Blacktron ship this year, but instead we're getting this rapper's ship instead.

5 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Brick Clicker has said that the 40687 Space Diner GWP will have a yellow and orange classic space figure. Not sure if that's a mistake, or the original report of white is a mistake, but interesting. May 14 release.

I'm confused about this too.  I hope that it will be a yellow classic space figure since I don't own any.  Do you know where the sources are?  I know Brick Clicker was talking about it earlier, but I can't find where he found that source.  I know he's a very reliable source.  He does do revise the descriptions when new information comes out.

2 hours ago, Digitalsound1 said:

I'm confused about this too.  I hope that it will be a yellow classic space figure since I don't own any.  Do you know where the sources are?  I know Brick Clicker was talking about it earlier, but I can't find where he found that source.  I know he's a very reliable source.  He does do revise the descriptions when new information comes out.

Yellow 'Kenny' figures are quite common, costing about $5 in Europe and $10 in the US. Presumably some US buyers buy up the cheaper ones when they appear.

On 4/10/2024 at 12:04 AM, icm said:

I haven't seen any references to this year's cross-theme Space push being any sort of 60th-anniversary thing. It may be 60 years since that rocket was released, but you're making up the anniversary celebrations. Show me one reputable post or article that makes that connection.

Not just you, but also show “us”. I am with you on this.

20 hours ago, Space78 said:

I think even beyond those reasons listed by @icm there is the fact that "space" is a crosscutting "theme" this year, which I don't believe Lego has done in the past.  The space theme this year may have more to do with Lego trying a new marketing strategy of a crosscutting theme across several lines (City, Friends, Technic, Duplo) than anything else.  But that's also a guess.

Here's another guess.  Sales of 10497 Galaxy Explorer were very strong and Lego decided it was time to try a "reboot" of a Space line.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is true, or even if they had planned it before Galaxy Explorer. City has had some great Space Exploration sets in 2011, 2015 and 2019. Then some in 2022 and of course now we have 2024. I imagine the 2015 and 2019 sets sold pretty well. Friends has also dabbled in Space and Astronomy in the past. It could well be a perfect storm of them noticing decent sales for Space related sets of recent years, and plans to do some more Space sets this year. Why not put a cross cutting badge on it to emphasize that they don't think Space is "just for boys" in City. It gives them a positive spin in that they are doing space exploration and doing it equally in ranges cutting across the demographic that tend to buy the sets. Adding the Space logo to the Friends sets also helps make them more palatable for boys.

It is kind of interesting that in the Friends sets, Olivia and William have followed on from the 2022 Space Academy set based on earth to the 2024 set where they have presumably completed their training and are in space. I wonder how many boys wanted the Friends set in 2022 and how many want the Space/Friends set in 2024. They could have easily left the Space logo off the box, but I imagine it is doing a good job for them helping get Friends noticed and accepted by a wider audience.

8 hours ago, Lion King said:

Not just you, but also show “us”. I am with you on this.

I was wrong about Lego publicly celebrating 60 years of space.  However, this year is unusually space themed.  Maybe it's a coincidence?

Once again:

No, it's not a coincidence.

No, no representative from Lego nor any representative of the Lego Ambassador Network has publicly stated a reason for this year's cross-theme Space branding.

http://bricksfanz.com/lego-space-themed-promo-gifts-revealed/

Apparently a German retailer has added some items themed around this year's space sets! Nothing too exciting, although that duffel bag is cute. And the sticker sheets feature another alien variant with a one-eyed face printed on a 1x1 round brick... wonder if that's just something they came up with for the merch or something that'll appear in sets at some point.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, icm said:

Once again:

No, it's not a coincidence.

No, no representative from Lego nor any representative of the Lego Ambassador Network has publicly stated a reason for this year's cross-theme Space branding.

That's what I was suggesting.  Maybe it's only a coincidence and has nothing to do with the 60th anniversary?

Edited by Digitalsound1

Yes, I believe it's most likely a coincidence that the cross theme Space branding of 2024 comes 60 years after the first Lego rocket in 1964. I'm quite confident that's a coincidence.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, icm said:

Yes, I believe it's most likely a coincidence that the cross theme Space branding of 2024 comes 60 years after the first Lego rocket in 1964. I'm quite confident that's a coincidence.

Yeah, I still think this year being a "space" year has much more to do with the original timeline of the Artemis program, and not a "45 years of minifig space", or "60 years of LEGO rockets" , even while there are plenty of non-minifig sets with this space branding.

If there was some sort of anniversary, LEGO would have marketed around it in some way, like 10266: NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander states 50 years after the real apollo 11 landed on the box, and they currently do for 25 years of LEGO Star Wars, 5 years of Monkie Kid, and "90 years of play" was on 10305: Lion Knights' Castle box.

But I think 2028 / 2029 would make more sense for a LEGO Space celebration, unofficially the LEGO 1 and 2 movies were 35 and 40 years after the worldwide Classic space release (1979, with sets appearing in the US in 1978)

NASA space has had quite a lot of Adult oriented sets since 2019, as well with Saturn V being re-released, and then the ISS, Lunar Lander and Space Shuttle Discovery and recently Technic Mars Rover , and still an upcoming set.

2019 City space did have more mars related content, which makes sense with the 2020 launch of the then new Perseverance rover, which landed 2021 and still is operational.

Edited by TeriXeri

32 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Apparently a German retailer has added some items themed around this year's space sets! Nothing too exciting, although that duffel bag is cute. And the sticker sheets feature another alien variant with a one-eyed face printed on a 1x1 round brick... wonder if that's just something they came up with for the merch or something that'll appear in sets at some point.

I like the duffel bag.

Looks like the cap is kinda in competition with the LEGO Classic Space vintage cap available for Insiders.

18 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Oh, that's neat! I love how many variants we've seen of this style of alien this year. I am with you in wondering whether that 1x1 round brick alien will show up in sets, and if so how it will be used. I feel like it'd have to be for something couldn't just use the alien minifig head on its own — maybe for a nest of juvenile aliens?

Posted (edited)

Have been playing No Man's Sky lately, and the exploration, scanning minerals/plants/animals(aliens) and refueling vehicles is how I can imagine how a theme like 2024 City / Friends space works, and Classic Space as well (and in particular the Uninhabited systems with no humanoids beside the player)

The game does have other npc factions with interactions, but none of those are direct enemies of the player unless provoked, and the main enemies can be avoided (Pirates or Robots)

And it's of course all up to imagination to see how factions like Blacktron, Spyrius or Space Police operated, but 2024 Space really went back to the roots of just exploration of unknown area of space with familiar but mysterious technology and lifeforms.

If this gets expanded, I do hope it stays focused on exploration/research/base building and I don't think a second faction would be needed, as there's a lot of "good vs bad" in-house action themes right now, which also use sci-fi looking mechs or vehicles., also would of course depend if they do more of the space stuff under Dreamzzz or Monkie Kid of course, instead of City/Friends/Creator/unthemed(alien habitat etc)

Edited by TeriXeri

On 4/10/2024 at 8:43 PM, RichardGoring said:

It's a mistake.  I just wrote to Brick Clicker and he said that his yellow space figure description was an error.  

Those alien and terrain packs are really cute. The alien builds are a bit blocky and the sets should have at least one Minifig each (either a current City Space astronaut or a fully retro CS one), but I like them overall as parts packs! 

On 4/4/2024 at 4:17 AM, Artanis I said:

The City sets should've been in those colours (and thus also not labelled as City).

Trans-purple canopies (and visors), and maybe lavender details in place of sand blue, would have been amazing

On 4/4/2024 at 6:54 PM, danth said:

CLASSIC. SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETTM

Not Classic Space per se, but the alien packs feel very much like what a Space Creator set would/should look like. 

11 minutes ago, Digitalsound1 said:

It's a mistake.  I just wrote to Brick Clicker and he said that his yellow space figure description was an error.  

I thought so; none of the relevant parts (printed torso, helmet, airtanks) are currently in production in yellow, so we would need to have at least four changes in the GWP in order to include orange and yellow CS spacemen. White makes more sense, though I would have preferred to get red, since that is still exclusive to the Galaxy Explorer (I think that the parts are out of production, though). 🫤

This is why I take all rumors/leaks with a grain of salt.  I only believe it once there are actual photos.

3 hours ago, karrit said:

This is why I take all rumors/leaks with a grain of salt.  I only believe it once there are actual photos.

I watch Brick Clicker all the time.  He is very trustworthy, and the leaks are mostly true.  There have been many leaks that became true many months later.  In this case he just made a small error. 

It was kinda strange that the first infos said it would be white and orange and brick clicker said yellow and orange anyways. Not that first infos didn´t change in the past but in this case I would have been happy to get the yellow one for sure, but I wouldn´t have put a bet on that rumour. 

BTW, if he made an error, he should correct it. Would be easy thing to do, but there is no mention about it in the video describtion or the comments.

White seems to be the CS spaceman color Lego is going to make available for a while.  The parts have been on PAB for some time, I assume the whole time Galaxy explorer was available, and still there now.  I could see Lego offering the orange one, since previously it was only available as the minifig in a couple of DK books.  Would be nice to have that one out there again, though if it's just in a GWP, it's still not really a "general release" item.  However, the yellow spaceman was in a "regular" set back in 2019 in 70841 Benny's space squad, so pretty easy to get that (and the pink one) if someone wants it.  The white one was in that set also, so it just seems to me white is going to continue to be the most common color for a CS minifig.

Sure, BrickClicker is a reliable leaker and he makes errors. It’s okay but he is not alone. Other leakers make errors sometimes. I’m just saying I’m not surprised that there is an error with “yellow” and “white” space minifigure, although it’s a shame there is no yellow one.