1 hour ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

I dunno, I could see the space loader fitting a Tech-fig.

Without legs only. 

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

These sets seem minifig scale though.

Looks like (headroom wise), but the seats are different than in City sets, so they will slip. ;-)

15 hours ago, kbalage said:

Without legs only. 

Correction, without legs and head. ;)
42178_tech-fig_no_bueno.png

15 hours ago, Mikdun said:

Looks like (headroom wise), but the seats are different than in City sets, so they will slip. ;-)

Don't worry there is a bulge in the middle of the seat to prevent that. Besides they can hold onto the minifig compatible steering wheel.
42178_minifigure_compatible.png42178_minifigure_yes_please.png

Unbelievable how much they can praise this "new color scheme" when it's just a rehash of the previous Mars Exploration and Mars Mission theme's white+orange look. The fact that they felt excited to work on non-licensed sets in Technic and everyone on the team wanting the chance to work on this project and being able to let creativity flow, really shows how unsatisfied the Designers must be having to build one licensed car after the other.

30 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Unbelievable how much they can praise this "new color scheme" when it's just a rehash of the previous Mars Exploration and Mars Mission theme's white+orange look.

They didn't praise the colour scheme, just the specific colour, which is indeed new (vibrant orange/reddish orange/tomato soup orange). As for the colour scheme, they just explained that they liked the orange, and combined it with white because white is usually associated with "space". Even if it's similar to the previous Mars themes, none of those were Technic, so in my opinion they're cool to see here and not repetitive.

Yes, they had the opportunity to use new colour "reddish orange". After that they had to decide which colours fit with that... (colour palette). Then they had to decide which parts and what kind of parts will be made that "reddish orange".

BUT I agree. In all interviews those designers / design team has been very excited to do something else than boring formulas or cars. CHALLENGE with these new sets were kids. How they play with those models - do they understand what they are. (These 3 will be my first Technic sets ever). 

Edited by legoturtle

14 hours ago, R0Sch said:

The fact that they felt excited to work on non-licensed sets in Technic and everyone on the team wanting the chance to work on this project and being able to let creativity flow, really shows how unsatisfied the Designers must be having to build one licensed car after the other.

Dont think that. If someone is unsatisfied with his job and for what Lego Technic stands since decades and for what Lego Technic was growing, then they should give up job.

5 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Dont think that. If someone is unsatisfied with his job and for what Lego Technic stands since decades and for what Lego Technic was growing, then they should give up job.

Yeah, there has to be thousands of firms out there looking for people who can design stuff out of LEGO's. :pir_wacko:

Indeed.com: What is your previous job experience?
Engineer: I designed things for LEGO.
Indeed.com: Right, here's your McDonald's and Burger King applications. Leave the thing about LEGO off.

Edited by Lego Tom

10 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

Yeah, there has to be thousands of firms out there looking for people who can design stuff out of LEGO's. :pir_wacko:

Indeed.com: What is your previous job experience?
Engineer: I designed things for LEGO.
Indeed.com: Right, here's your McDonald's and Burger King applications. Leave the thing about LEGO off.

Way to be totally dismissive of someone's career.

Have you actually looked at the application to be a LEGO designer? It is not any different than any other industrial machine/parts designer. The only difference is the materials used to design the final product.

1 minute ago, deehtha said:

Way to be totally dismissive of someone's career.

Have you actually looked at the application to be a LEGO designer? It is not any different than any other industrial machine/parts designer. The only difference is the materials used to design the final product.

Yup. I spent nearly 40 years in industry and have no concept on how things work in the "real world".  Carry on - oh and learn to recognize sarcastic humor when you see it.

I planned to buy this one because of gears. But now, I will buy it for this part. It gonna be very useful.

11 hours ago, Lego Tom said:

Yup. I spent nearly 40 years in industry and have no concept on how things work in the "real world".  Carry on - oh and learn to recognize sarcastic humor when you see it.

It's not a very good joke when all it does is make you seem ignorant... If you spent 40 years in the industrial design industry and can't recognize the creative skills common between good industrial designers and good set designers then damn dude

Edited by Bartybum

13 hours ago, Lego Tom said:

Your "sarcastic humor" did not sound funny or sarcastic, just pretentious. There are enough people in this world who would mock us for our hobby, lets not also do it from within.

Agreed. Being a Technic set designer isn't just sitting there building MOCs. You are taking the lead, designing a complex product for a very successful company making them millions while working in a very small team. It's not about academic qualifications, though they are required where I am, it's about being able to solve problems that they never taught you, as well as being someone who will fit in with the team. From what little I've seen of the Technic team, as a lead engineer I would happily offer anyone on the Technic team a job. 

As for the new piece in the harvester, that does indeed look quite useful :thumbup:

14 hours ago, M_longer said:

42168 comes with new liftarm!

3 of them in the set

Jernej and I were discussing that part. we thought it might be used for the wheel bearing or something structural. otherwise theres no need for a new element, its an easy shape to make from existing pieces, unless for strength, or to use all pin holes.

Edited by Milan
No need to quote images from the same page.

3 hours ago, deehtha said:

Your "sarcastic humor" did not sound funny or sarcastic, just pretentious. There are enough people in this world who would mock us for our hobby, lets not also do it from within.

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

It's not a very good joke when all it does is make you seem ignorant... If you spent 40 years in the industrial design industry and can't recognize the creative skills common between good industrial designers and good set designers then damn dude

I bet you two are a riot at a party. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you must have a sad existence. If you take yourself too seriously others will do the opposite.

25 minutes ago, Aurorasaurus said:

Jernej and I were discussing that part. we thought it might be used for the wheel bearing or something structural. otherwise theres no need for a new element, its an easy shape to make from existing pieces, unless for strength, or to use all pin holes.

Axles/bearing were were the first thing that came to my mind and gear boxes were second. The strength factor is also very attractive. As I said, I'd love to have a bunch of them.

Edited by Lego Tom

29 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

I bet you two are a riot at a party. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you must have a sad existence. If you take yourself too seriously others will do the opposite.

Or just don't be a douche about people's careers, especially when those careers require an acute level of creative skill to pull off. Like sorry hot wheels but where's the funny in saying that set designers are no better than burger flippers? It was a shit joke, get over it

Edited by Bartybum

29 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

1 minute ago, Bartybum said:

Or don't be a dick about people's careers?

Let's end this here.
If there is more to it, please take it to PM.
Let others have the topic for what it is.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Let's end this here.
If there is more to it, please take it to PM.
Let others have the topic for what it is.

Thanks.

Fair enough.

As I stated, I would love to obtain a bunch of the new parts. New parts tend to stir creativity and often a solution to a problem. I hope LEGO incorporates them into several sets, thus making them more available.