Megbricks

71046 CMF series 26: Space themed!

On 3/26/2024 at 9:46 PM, williejm said:

Team GB had printed bases, TLBM series 2 did, and Disney 100 series … isn’t that all?

The DFB CMF had printed bases, white with their four stars. The names were not printed as claimed before, as that would mean different bases for every figure.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:42 PM, Agent Kallus said:

The pink space baby is fun but it's a shame that they can't decide on a consistent eye style for these.

They do have an internally consistent thought process behind it. When it's representing a baby, like here and the blue one from Series 24 (reused in a set), it has eye gleam and the more cartoony mouth.

In the GWP, the idea was to use the baby mould not as a baby but as a micro version of the figures, hence the classic smile print.

15 hours ago, hikouki said:

I do wonder which painting or photo they got the idea for the Orion minifig hair???

When I google Orion, he appears to have a different hair or a headgear.

Same. The difference hair and headgear when googling isn't anything like what they decided to give this Orion minifigure. Even ancient Greek sculptures the male statues had better hair than what they gave the minifigure.

13 hours ago, MAB said:

The DFB CMF had printed bases, white with their four stars. The names were not printed as claimed before, as that would mean different bases for every figure.

That’s what I remembered vaguely in thee first place…

Exabrickslegogo on Instagram has shared some more pictures of the series - someone else has found them in a shop, bought some and opened them to take some hands-on pictures 

Posted (edited)

Good to finally see some hi-res pics of the Minifigs! Most of my opinions are unchanged, though I am more disappointed with the Blacktron II mutant simply in light of the mythical black spaceship not being Blacktron (and potentially giving us an unmutated version of the Blacktron II astronaut). 

- Modern Astronaut: Great EVA suit piece, but a boring choice overall. 
 - Totally Real Human: Clever concept and decent execution, though the (seemingly) single-piece hair and mechanical torso detailing make this figure not really useful in multiples. 
 - Alien Tourist: Another clever concept, and very cute overall. 
 - Retro Space Girl: Excellent, though I would have liked a new jetpack piece (or even just a brickbuilt one) and a reuse of the Retro Spaceman’s ray gun. 
 - M;Tron: Very good, but the detailed red mechanical printing on the legs makes the arms look rather bare; I would have liked to see some red there to balance things out. Also, not only the lack of a trans-neon green visor but the lack of a visor entirely (no trans-bright green recolour, for instance) is very irritating! On the positive side, the hydraulic clamp looks great, and it is a good substitute for the OG M;Tron’s magnets (though I do wonder if the faction needs to be renamed now - Perhaps “C;Tron”?). 
 - Robo-Nurse: Pink CS Spacebaby carries, but she looks good overall and the torso and legs are useful for sci-fi armour. 
 - UFO Costume Guy: Boring, and a poor execution of the concept (something like the various plane and train costumes with an actual alien Minifig would have looked better and been more useful). 
 - Ice Planet 2024: Gorgeous! Trans-orange looks a little dull, but at least we got some transparent orange, and the spacesuit penguin is cute. My only gripe is that we really should have gotten trans-orange skis as well. 
 - Robo-Chef: Eh. I like some of the ideas here (especially the retro robot legs), but overall it just feels bland. I can see the ‘fig improving greatly with some simple modifications, though. 
 - Buggoid Elite: Very good - I especially like that the head is dual-moulded and extended in the back! 
 - Orion: Interesting concept and very good execution, but I still feel like he is the odd one out in this series and would have fit better in a normal one. Also, we had better get Force Ghosts now!! 
 - Blacktron II Mutant: I am as split on this guy as he is with himself! I like the concept of a mutated astronaut. I like getting a Blacktron II remake. I do not like that these ideas were combined into a figure that is less than the sum of its parts. I like that the torso is not damaged (as it can be used for normal Blacktron II astronauts), but a damaged torso print would have been a better design choice for the mutant concept. A far better decision would have been to make a straight Blacktron II update with an EVA suit (the part from the modern astronaut), and then a mutated generic astronaut Minifig to take the modern astronaut’s place in the series (maybe using the 2024 or 2022 City astronaut designs as a base). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

I'm glad to see that the scannable codes are continuing for these, based on some of the comments! Hopefully they'll all the the "big codes" this time and not have smaller ones mixed in like with S25. New thoughts based on the new images (which can be found here: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-71046-series-26-brings-back-best-feature)

Modern Astronaut: Basic, but I also can't fault it - it does exactly what it sets out to do, and it would feel odd to not have it in the series. Looks like it could have several interesting extra parts.

Mini Alien Suit Guy: Brick Fanatics is reporting that the antennae is detachable from the hair, for those who were interested. Still a miss for me overall, though.

Alien Tourist: Sorry, y'all - I still haven't been able to come around on this guy yet. He's not bad, he's just not my favorite, like he seems to be for so many people.

Retro Astronaut: Whoever called her having a ponytail - you were right! Still not a fan of the gun choice, but I should be able to replace it. Probably one of the ones I like more in this wave.

M-Tron Man: I have no nostalgia for the classic space wave, so I don't have any ties to him. The grabber arm and hose look nice, though.

Robot Nurse: It looks like she has trans-blue arms with the new photos, which I think is pretty cool. I think that small detail (along with Pink Space Baby) brings this one up to Number 1 for me!

UFO Costume: Pretty good - he's got Earth and the moon on the back of his torso. I wonder if it would look better if it was on the front, though... I'm a little more interested in him than I was before, at least. 

Ice Planet Woman: She does have an ice planet logo under the armor part, but like the M-Tron Man, I've got no nostalgia for it. I wish the penguin was less robotic as well. 

Classic Robot: I feel like something is missing, but I can't put my finger on it... Maybe it's the head? Or he needs a backpack/jetpack of some sort? I dunno...

Alien Insectoid: Cool, but I feel like the Monster Series Fly Monster I recently picked up scratched the itch I had for a minifig like this first.

Orion: So close to greatness, brought down by that goofy grin and the choice of hair. The shield looks great though - probably the best accessory after Space Baby.

Blacktron Mutant: I'll say it again: I don't have nostolgia for the old Space themes, so this guy doesn't do it for me. He also just feels cobbled together - I think that if they went full-out on the mutant green legs and arms (even while keeping the torso as-is, for people that would want it - not unlike that purple alien from a few series ago), I would like him more.

Overall, my top ones are Nurse PIXAL, Retro Astronaut, UFO Costume, and Orion. I've got two boxes coming from Minifigure Madness that I'll be splitting, so I'll end up with all of them anyways, but for the most part, it's been a miss for me. 

Looks like I was right about the retro space girl having a ponytail and It looks like her dog is colored in dark gray hopefully I’m mistaken and it’s in silver.

the printing on the back of the alien insectiod looks good too.

11 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

Looks like I was right about the retro space girl having a ponytail and It looks like her dog is colored in dark gray hopefully I’m mistaken and it’s in silver.

the printing on the back of the alien insectiod looks good too.

I think that dog is suppsoed to be a robot. 

There is apparently a hatch printed on the back of the human suit guy - making this go from a need to a 'meh'. However, The fig bases have star printing on them though, for those who make 2001: A space Odyssey MOCs: "My god, it's full of stars!"

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think that dog is suppsoed to be a robot. 

Yep, and it appears to be in silver 

I realized I didn’t check my grammar I meant that I want it to be silver because it’s a robot but in the photo I saw it looked gray 

Posted (edited)

Not a big fan of this series. The only two that really do it for me are the Retro Space Girl and Orion, though the Human Suit is growing on me. A lot of the others are just okay, and it's mostly in the execution I think. Some even feel really close to being great, like the Ice Planet woman, but just have something missing. (In her case it is definitely trans orange, and maybe skis like someone said). But the Brickfantatics images do show a lot of interesting stuff I had missed before, so I may appreciate these more in-hand. The M-Tron mechanical arm for instance--is that hose a separate piece from the clamp? If it is, I can think of a few uses for the hose, even if it isn't flexible.

The purple coloring for the branding of this series is really nice.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

50 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The print on the baseplates is not GITD

Why should people expect baseplates printed with GITD…?

No idea what that even means. People here should really try to be a bit less lazy and write things out. I mean I can get why people use it, and with common abbreviations that might work, but considering here are people from all around the world, using them less would actually benefit a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

No idea what that even means. People here should really try to be a bit less lazy and write things out. I mean I can get why people use it, and with common abbreviations that might work, but considering here are people from all around the world, using them less would actually benefit a lot of people.

GITD = glow in the dark

54 minutes ago, Lion King said:

GITD = glow in the dark

Thanks for explaining that! I missed the translation as well, personally.

Has Lego ever printed glow-in-the-dark parts before, though? Like, where the ink glows, and not the base part underneath? The closest I could find was 9464 from the Monster Fighters, but that's a glow-in-the-dark sticker.

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

GITD = glow in the dark

Thanks. I usually either try to ignore it if it doesn´t seem important to me or I just google it. Well google didn´t really help in this case.

2 hours ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Thanks for explaining that! I missed the translation as well, personally.

Has Lego ever printed glow-in-the-dark parts before, though? Like, where the ink glows, and not the base part underneath? The closest I could find was 9464 from the Monster Fighters, but that's a glow-in-the-dark sticker.

No problem! I was trying to understand what Robert8 said. At first, I assumed he meant to say “glittered” but I realized he referred it to glow-in-the-dark lol. 

No, I don’t think I have seen glow-in-the-dark printing so far. I know there were few goldenw-in-the-dark parts like ghost, Basil the Batlord’s head, and others. That’s why I asked Robert8 why people should expect that printing. 

There was speculation it might be glow in the dark print

I thought it was here on Eurobricks, but it seems I read it somewhere else  :wacko:

Sorry for the confusion 

The back of the leaflet with more detailed instructions for the Ice Planet woman, M-tron guy, and the modern astronaut is up in the usual place. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the bases for the back assemblies on both M-tron and the modern astronaut are new parts. 

1 hour ago, Accio Lego said:

The back of the leaflet with more detailed instructions for the Ice Planet woman, M-tron guy, and the modern astronaut is up in the usual place. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the bases for the back assemblies on both M-tron and the modern astronaut are new parts. 

The M-Tron astronaut's backpack is not a new part (though the 1x2 plate with hazard stripes attached to the bottom is a useful new print, and the claw+hose attachment is a new mold). The modern astronaut backpack print, on the other hand, is new.

Glow in the dark printing on the base plates would have been amazing. And I'm loving the wings on the Alien insectoid, it's a really great minifigure.