Megbricks

71046 CMF series 26: Space themed!

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Kinda disappointed at this CMF Series. I was hoping for different colored Classic Space minifigures and M-tron, Blacktron I&II, Futuron, Ice Planet, Spyrius, Space Police I, II, III etc. And not random abstract figures like Orion, human suit with nanofigures etc.

I was expecting at leat a UFO alien, but those aliens seem to be the mongrels of the LEGO galaxy. It seems no one liked them but me hahaha

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I hope so, but I think that we would have heard rumours of such a set by now, since June would be the obvious release month. 

Maybe, but it could be a June ‘25 release, not ‘24 one, which would explain the lack of leaks. Alternatively, it could be an autumn ‘24 release that’s not billed as a celebration of LGBTness. Instead, it could be a CS set that just happens to include astronauts in the Pride colours which might obviate bans on overtly LGBT symbols in some countries/regions.

I’m late to the party so where is the list here I could seee?

21 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Haven’t seen anyone post it here yet but a rumored list for the Space CMF has shown up on Instagram, so I figured someone should put it here too. 

1. Robot human suit for tiny aliens

2. Classic space robot

3. Retro Spacewoman (female counterpart to series 17 figure)

4. M-Tron Redux

5. Alien in UFO costume 

6. Grey Alien tourist 

7. Alien Insectoid 

8. Modern Astronaut 

9. Ice Planet Redux with Space Penguin 

10. Mutated BlackTron

11. Orian with translucent parts

12. Space Nurse with pink Space Baby

Personally, I’m really interested in what ‘modern astronaut’ means. I’m personally hoping for an at least semi realistic EVU suit with new molds to make it properly accurate. 

Found it! Is it a real list?

12 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Is it a real list?

Yup - more importantly, blurry photos of all of them are out as well. They can't be posted here, but you should be able to find them in the usual places.

2 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Yup - more importantly, blurry photos of all of them are out as well. They can't be posted here, but you should be able to find them in the usual places.

Thats good news that the list and pics are leaked early, thanks!

4 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Kinda disappointed at this CMF Series. I was hoping for different colored Classic Space minifigures and M-tron, Blacktron I&II, Futuron, Ice Planet, Spyrius, Space Police I, II, III etc. And not random abstract figures like Orion, human suit with nanofigures etc.

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Unfortunately the Space CMF series turns out exactly like i expected it to be: some kind of city-space-mishmash. Quite a bit disappointing. The alian tourist is fun though.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I was expecting at leat a UFO alien, but those aliens seem to be the mongrels of the LEGO galaxy. It seems no one liked them but me hahaha

I like the Orion minifig - might work as a part in the theme of mythology minifigs!

But I agree with the opinion that this series turned out to be a bunch of "abstract" minifigs.

I appreciate that they’ve put some creativity into this lineup. 
As others have pointed out, it could have easily ended up as a series of 12 generic astronauts. 
I don’t have ties to classic space, but this series interests me just as a fan of regular CMF. These figures are all very well done. 

Definitely some good figs there. Some that aren't as good as they could be (due to the discontinuation of trans-fluro-green and trans-fluro-orange) but there is nothing here that I consider truly awful or crap.

Edited by jonwil

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

I’m late to the party so where is the list here I could seee?

Found it! Is it a real list?

Check Reddit and IG. 

3 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Maybe, but it could be a June ‘25 release, not ‘24 one, which would explain the lack of leaks. 

If that were the case, though, why would a CS astronaut be excluded from CMFs in 2024? 🫤

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I can't imagine that a series like this would ever have included more than one Classic Space minifigure, regardless of selection.

But they failed to even include one new colored Classic Space suit especially after teasing with the dark bluish grey and green helmet. It's not okay regardless of what logical excuse you try to give in their defense.

I don’t know why so many are complaining about a lack of classic space astronauts.

The pre-2005 space sub-theme LEGO has made the most of IS the original, single-color astronaut space theme.

Did they not make the “Benny’s Space Squad” set? Did they not make the $100 galaxy explorer set? Were the torsos of the S17 rocket costume kid and S22 alien not usable for classic space astronauts? Did the cuusoo exo-suit not come with classic space astronaut figures? Did they not included an orange classic space astronaut as a part of a book? After all of this, did they not include an ordinary, brown classic space astronaut in S24?

In this time, how many instances can you cite of appearances of the Space Police, MTRON, Blacktron, Ice Planet, Life On Mars, Mars Mission, UFO, Spyrius, Exploriens, Alien Conquest (ADU) and Galaxy Squad sub-themes (and potential others I didn’t recall to mention or aren’t familiar with)?

Why do you feel it’s necessary to complain about a lack of classic, single-color astronaut figures? They’ll probably do it eventually if their track record is anything to go by. Yes, the inclusion of the modern astronaut is dubious and/or debatable if not unnecessary, but even a remake of Kranxx or Brick Daddy, or something from Spyrius, Exploriens or Life On Mars or the Seatron alien would’ve been more unique than another classic, single-color astronaut figure.

I also don’t understand complaints that the series is somehow “too much of a City mishmash” or “is just abstract figures”. Only three or four of these could be considered City-like, in which case only a third of it would be a “City mishmash”, even then I’m not sure they’d do the alien tourist in City. And as for “abstract figures”, do you mean that they aren’t sub-theme-derived or immediately recognizable like the MTRON or Ice Planet remakes are? Because if not meant in that way, you must be using a different meaning of “abstract” because every figure is a discernible, defined idea.

Edited by SuperSquidman

The M-Tron and Blacktron torsos are good, but I imagine those two will be two of the most popular army builders and so it is unlikely that the torsos will be readily available for sale. I have no interest in the rest. I bought plenty of the original CMF classic alien and have numerous heads and parts from AC and other CMFs. The human characters in this series do little for me compared to those that they have done in the past. So for me, it is an easy pass and I won't buy from retail. I might pick up some torsos if there is a glut, but even then I still have some of the originals so won't mind missing out on those.

3 hours ago, R0Sch said:

But they failed to even include one new colored Classic Space suit especially after teasing with the dark bluish grey and green helmet. It's not okay regardless of what logical excuse you try to give in their defense.

The green helmet was maybe to complement the existing green Classic Space torso rather than suggest a new green one was coming.

Edited by MAB

Everyone wants the 70s helmet in new colours, but I actually want the 80s helmet in brown (and dark pink)! I always immediately swap Classic helmets for the better one and stick a visor on it, (never liked the bucket helmet,) but the brown ones still don't have a proper helmet.

I just posted about this release's pics in a different thread... not sure what it was, it seemed that people were talking about these? Would've been better in here, oh well

1 hour ago, MAB said:

The green helmet was maybe to complement the existing green Classic Space torso rather than suggest a new green one was coming.

What's the point to complement a figure that is EOL since 10 years? It's the same with the purple air tank and helmet. How many can say they knew a year before this would happen and bought multiple purple Space Creatures from S22, ripped out their arms, found a fiigure with plain purple arms and hands and made a custom torso to build an all purple CS figures? Why not simply give us the whole torso or whole figure and stop this charade?
It's just absurd how the most popular toy company treats it's loyal fan base. The LEGO SW fans can sing a whole anthem of the number of bad minifigures they are getting each year.

4 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

I also don’t understand complaints that the series is somehow . . . “is just abstract figures”. . . And as for “abstract figures”, do you mean that they aren’t sub-theme-derived or immediately recognizable like the MTRON or Ice Planet remakes are? 

I think that the “abstract” complaint is about figures like Orion and the UFO costume guy. 

3 hours ago, MAB said:

We got updated versions of the blue and black helmets without updated torsos to go with them, so there is definitely precedent for this. 

35 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

We got updated versions of the blue and black helmets without updated torsos to go with them, so there is definitely precedent for this. 

Blue and black are NOT new colors for CS figures, so different topic. Besides, the blue helmet came out while Benny's Space Squad was still on shelves so the rest of the blue figure was still available.

35 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Blue and black are NOT new colors for CS figures, so different topic. Besides, the blue helmet came out while Benny's Space Squad was still on shelves so the rest of the blue figure was still available.

You are correct, except for the blue CS torso. We are all stuck with Benny's scratched torso instead of a pristine one, and have been since 2014. (Unless you got the old ones from the 1980's, of course)

Edited by Murdoch17

23 minutes ago, danth said:

Alright, who called the opinion police? 🚨

I genuinely don't understand? Everyone on this current 7th page of discussion, as far as I can tell, has been respectfully talking about what they would like to see, or are excited (or disappointed) about the new figs. No one has put down anyone's opinions, or said anyone was wrong for thinking what they think. Therefore, I'm very confused as to what you mean?

(Apologies to the mods for my off topic post.)

Edited by Murdoch17

Alright, time for my opinions:

Aliens in Human Suit: Lame. They just painted an alien on the minifig face. The small dudes should be able to actually fit in the head or torso somehow. How? I dunno, that's for Lego designers to figure out. Maybe a new combined torso & head mold. Oh what, is that too hard or to expensive for Lego? Is this supposed to be a money printing thing for them, just slap on new paint to existing minifig parts, do a new helmet, and call it a day? Sorry but this isn't a charity for the Kristiansen family. They need to put in some effort and give us something new and exciting, and that means paying for new molds sometimes, even new torso molds.

Robot cook: Interesting. New leg molds? That's what I want to see more of. Not sure if this is supposed to be a robot or cyborg since he has a human looking face. Need better pics. I don't know if a space cook with robo legs is what Lego fans have been clamoring for. Always interesting to see what they come up with. But sometimes I question, "why this?"

Retro Space Woman: Actually pretty cool. The colors are great.

M-Tron: Absolutely ludicrous that they got rid of trans neon colors and then did this. No excuses, they should have done something else, or brought back some kind of trans neon green specifically for a visor for this and the Blacktron figure. They got rid of the color, they can bring it back. Beyond that, I'm not sure this is the best way to do an M-Tron throwback. The printed part is going in the right direction.

Alien 1: Don't care.

Alien 2: Don't care.

Alien 3: Shoulda been Seatron, or an Insectoids throwback. It's pretty random as it is. Anyone who is satisfied with a random alien they've never seen before would be just as satisfied with Seatron or a throwback, so why not please both the "Just give me any random alien" and the "Give me a throwback" people?

Normal astronaut: Total waste. We get tons of these every year. A new CS color would have been more exciting.

Ice planet: Closest thing to a win here. That had better be trans neon orange. The new helmet is interesting, but Ice Planet figs were known for their iconic visor as well. If this has a dual molded helmet with a built in trans neon orange visor strip, that might actually be pretty cool. If its a strip of paint, that's lame. I would have preferred trans neon orange skis to the penguin.

Blacktron: Did anybody ask for this? I guess it's interesting, but not super useful to Blacktron fans. I suspect they went this way due to not having the right visor color available.

Orion: Cool but not for me.

Nurse and baby: Pink space baby is cool but the nurse doesn't seem very interesting.

5 minutes ago, danth said:

Alien 3: Shoulda been Seatron, or an Insectoids throwback. It's pretty random as it is. Anyone who is satisfied with a random alien they've never seen before would be just as satisfied with Seatron or a throwback, so why not please both the "Just give me any random alien" and the "Give me a throwback" people? 

For what it's worth, I believe this one is a Galaxy Squad throwback. Same style carapace printing as the Olive Green and Dark Red Alien Buggoids from that theme, but in a third color and with traits of a different insect species (possibly a beetle or cockroach).

Here's what disappoints me about this series. For a Space CMF, there's not much here of use to me. Other than the Ice Planet and M:Tron guys. I can't use the Blacktron dude in a MOC, unless I need a mutant, which isn't what I want Blacktron dudes for. I want Blacktron dudes to pilot Blacktron ships.

I would have also liked to see more actual reusable space tools. The chain saw is about all we get. I would like to see new space cameras, or detectors, or more transparent book cover pieces with cool prints in different colors. Or new head gear that fits on standard helmets instead of visors, like a comm piece with headphones and a mic.

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

For what it's worth, I believe this one is a Galaxy Squad throwback. Same style carapace printing as the Olive Green and Dark Red Alien Buggoids from that theme, but in a third color and with traits of a different insect species (possibly a beetle or cockroach).

Excellent point! I would have preferred something that throws a bit farther back but if this is for Galaxy Squad fans then that's pretty cool.

8 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

I don’t know why so many are complaining about a lack of classic space astronauts.

The pre-2005 space sub-theme LEGO has made the most of IS the original, single-color astronaut space theme.

Did they not make the “Benny’s Space Squad” set? Did they not make the $100 galaxy explorer set? Were the torsos of the S17 rocket costume kid and S22 alien not usable for classic space astronauts? Did the cuusoo exo-suit not come with classic space astronaut figures? Did they not included an orange classic space astronaut as a part of a book? After all of this, did they not include an ordinary, brown classic space astronaut in S24?

In this time, how many instances can you cite of appearances of the Space Police, MTRON, Blacktron, Ice Planet, Life On Mars, Mars Mission, UFO, Spyrius, Exploriens, Alien Conquest (ADU) and Galaxy Squad sub-themes (and potential others I didn’t recall to mention or aren’t familiar with)?

Why do you feel it’s necessary to complain about a lack of classic, single-color astronaut figures? They’ll probably do it eventually if their track record is anything to go by. Yes, the inclusion of the modern astronaut is dubious and/or debatable if not unnecessary

I think you're blowing a few minor comments out of proportion, but really, is it that hard to understand why people would expect a Space minifig from a Space CMF? Especially since Classic Space is incredibly popular and there are 12 entire slots?

Dredging up Benny's Space Squad is an odd argument since it's 5 years old now. The Exo Suit is what, 10 years old now? Why not bring up Classic Space itself?

Imagine telling a fan of any other theme they can't complain because they got a set 10 years ago. It wouldn't fly. But I guess us Space fans are like second class citizens or something.

8 hours ago, SuperSquidman said:

but even a remake of Kranxx or Brick Daddy, or something from Spyrius, Exploriens or Life On Mars or the Seatron alien would’ve been more unique than another classic, single-color astronaut figure.

I totally agree with you on that. But, we didn't get those things. If we did, there would probably be less complaints about not getting a Classic Space figure.

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

They are colours that we have not gotten with modern X-shaped rib torsos and non-fading gold print, I mean. Also, Benny’s torso is not suitable for generic Blue Classic Spacemen. 

37 minutes ago, danth said:

M-Tron: Absolutely ludicrous that they got rid of trans neon colors and then did this. No excuses, they should have done something else, or brought back some kind of trans neon green specifically for a visor for this and the Blacktron figure. 

It is really frustrating, especially since we are not even getting a visor in trans-bright green, trans-yellow, or even (solid) lime to make up for it. 🫤

39 minutes ago, danth said:

Alien 3: Shoulda been Seatron

I like this one, but I am genuinely surprised that we did not get any references to Sea-Tron in the series, given the following that it has among Space fans; a “Space Diver” or “Fish Alien” would have fit in easily, and would be fairly easy to make. 

44 minutes ago, danth said:

I would have preferred trans neon orange skis to the penguin.

Those skis (the updated hingeless variant, at least) are still in production, so I am not sure why we did not get a simple recolour for this figure. 

46 minutes ago, danth said:

Blacktron: Did anybody ask for this? I guess it's interesting, but not super useful to Blacktron fans. I suspect they went this way due to not having the right visor color available.

What irritates me about this one is that it does not commit fully to being either a mutated Human or being a Blacktron II update; I feel like a mutated version of one of the City Space astronauts with a new moulded head would have been better. As it is, we have an underbaked but interesting concept, and half of an updated Blacktron II astronaut. 

44 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

My thoughts as well. 👍

42 minutes ago, danth said:

I would have also liked to see more actual reusable space tools. The chain saw is about all we get. I would like to see new space cameras, or detectors, or more transparent book cover pieces with cool prints in different colors. Or new head gear that fits on standard helmets instead of visors, like a comm piece with headphones and a mic.

Agreed! I am hoping that the new Ice Planet faceplate is a visor, so that it can be attached to different coloured helmets (though I can see it being a single mould, especially if the orange visor is moulded rather than printed).