Elephant Knight

[MOC] Crossed Bones Ship COMPLETE! (Until disaster struck)

And here is the final end result! I am very pleased, but not completely satisfied with the end result. A little tweaking here and there may be done, but for now, I am ready to present it!

53326234693_6c40c1ddd3_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352634365_f0de4b0b08_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352634390_f29851b5e0_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53351304712_235833d649_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352183091_989c0abf3f_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53351304937_2dc74633fa_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352634665_8532d6e3ba_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

Unlike most of the ships I have built in the last decade or so, I actually made an interior for this ship! And it's easily accessible!

53351304902_65020c77ee_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53351304932_99d3131b78_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352183301_88e9d92703_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352403993_8e52ef14d7_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

The sides can be easily removed for access to the gun deck

53352404063_e44e8f7fee_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53352183401_eefcee1037_z.jpgCrossed Bones by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

And here's a shot of the whole Crossed Bones fleet!

53352508394_ba1b30199e_z.jpgThe Crossed Bones Fleet by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

WIP:

Spoiler

This has been an ongoing project of mine for a few weeks, a couple months even. Progress has been great the last week or two, but I'm at a bit of a standstill, waiting on Bricklink orders to arrive. I'm looking to get some feedback. I think I need to move the main mast and foremast forward a couple of studs, and I'm not sure about the height.

EDIT: I've move the fore and main mast forward two studs each. I feel it looks a lot better.

53082306881_53081a2003_z.jpgCrossed Bones Clipper WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

53079761393_1ff058bee1_z.jpgCrossed Bones Clipper WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

A very nice ship under construction. From the side it looks good and everything is built properly. The rigging and sails have yet to be built and it requires sailors. Another mistake I often made. The figurehead is too high up. You also rework the platform at the figurehead.

Your ship's construction differs significantly from that of its competitors. It's really good, keep building and finishing it.

14 hours ago, NOD said:

A very nice ship under construction. From the side it looks good and everything is built properly. The rigging and sails have yet to be built and it requires sailors. Another mistake I often made. The figurehead is too high up. You also rework the platform at the figurehead.

Your ship's construction differs significantly from that of its competitors. It's really good, keep building and finishing it.

Thank you for your insight! I had been looking at the figure head and wondering about it, I am glad too see someone else thinks it's too high. I will definitely go and lower it when I get the chance. I've been waiting to order parts to make the yardams and such,a nd I will eventually ri it up properly when I do.

EKnight

I've working on and off for the last while. The ship now just needs the final touches of string, and then the sails.

53286368408_31a705e045_c.jpgCrossed Bones WIP by Elephant-Knight, on Flickr

Wait, it looks like it has it's sails! 

Well, not really. Those are just the test sails.  I made them on paper first, to make sure I got the sizes and dimensions correct, as well as being completely sure on yardarm width and such. I don't usually go through such lengths for my ships, but this time, I was in "Spare no Expense!" mode, so here I am, making sails twice. But often when I make them once, they don't turn out right. Sometimes it's hard to know the right size to make them until you make them. I did have to adjust the length of the yardarms, as well as the placement on a couple. I'm glad I did what I did. The real sails are in the process of being made, I hope to have the finished MOC done by next week!

EKnight

Mast positions and height seem about right I'd say. I've always found that Cross Bone Clipper colour scheme interesting, do you have the original set? It would be nice to see it alongside your MOC, like a pirate fleet :pir-classic:.

On 10/27/2023 at 4:43 AM, Sebeus I said:

Mast positions and height seem about right I'd say. I've always found that Cross Bone Clipper colour scheme interesting, do you have the original set? It would be nice to see it alongside your MOC, like a pirate fleet :pir-classic:.

I do, I got it for Christmas back in 1998, it was my first Pirate ship, so I have a special fondness for it. I have a second copy, both are built, so I got a pair of support vessels for this ship! I plan to include them in a couple shots when I take the final pictures.

The finished ship looks very beautiful! :pir-love: The color combination is well chosen. The captain's cabin is well furnished and even has a large bed. It has interesting details on the upper and lower ship decks.

Very beautiful ship with nice curves and lines, and with many beautiful details. :pir-thumb:

Hope you'll be able to rebuild it as it was before disaster. :pir-huzzah2:

13 hours ago, Elephant Knight said:

Unfortunately, disaster has struck.

Kraken? Hurricane? Broadside from the Imperial Flagship?

Hopefully you can piece it back together. T'was a fine vessel.

She looks dashing, especially with the fleet. Sad to see she was so short-lived. Are you going to put herback together? I know I'd struggle with that, don't like doing the same thing again 😅.

As I said on Flickr:

Not the Crossed Bones! She was a good ship, but sadly, she and her crew sailed off beyond the horizon - never to be seen again. She will eventually become legendary, a tale discussed in hushed whispers at seedy waterfront taverns all over the Caribbean. Some say she hit a rogue wave and went down with all hands in a freak storm, others say she met a Spanish war fleet and was destroyed in a brutal fight. A scant few say the hand of the Almighty came down and sank her himself for some unknown reason. Whatever the case may be, nobody will ever forget her or her brave crew. So, pour one out for the Crossed Bones - she may be gone, but her memory lives on!

8 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

As I said on Flickr:

Not the Crossed Bones! She was a good ship, but sadly, she and her crew sailed off beyond the horizon - never to be seen again. She will eventually become legendary, a tale discussed in hushed whispers at seedy waterfront taverns all over the Caribbean. Some say she hit a rogue wave and went down with all hands in a freak storm, others say she met a Spanish war fleet and was destroyed in a brutal fight. A scant few say the hand of the Almighty came down and sank her himself for some unknown reason. Whatever the case may be, nobody will ever forget her or her brave crew. So, pour one out for the Crossed Bones - she may be gone, but her memory lives on!

Hear, hear!

Rumor has it it was another pirate captain, one with a grudge against the Crossed Bones' captain, Captain Black Eye. But a hurricane or kraken cannot be discounted! Both the Imperial Guards and the Governors have taken the credit for its destruction, with likely means neither was at fault. The Armada have yet to comment on the situation.

I do plan to rebuild the ship. I consider one of, if not the best ship I have built. Certainly it is one of the most detailed.

On the plus side, it wasn't built out of brown bricks. The situation would have been much worse...

EKnight

21 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

Rumor has it it was another pirate captain, one with a grudge against the Crossed Bones' captain, Captain Black Eye. But a hurricane or kraken cannot be discounted! Both the Imperial Guards and the Governors have taken the credit for its destruction, with likely means neither was at fault. The Armada have yet to comment on the situation.

I do plan to rebuild the ship. I consider one of, if not the best ship I have built. Certainly it is one of the most detailed.

On the plus side, it wasn't built out of brown bricks. The situation would have been much worse...

EKnight

I’m feeling your pain building a predominately reddish brown ship. Iv very rarely had parts break but 2x10 plates and 1x4 tiles feel like they are made or plaster. 

Great ship, I really like the details. Hope to see it rebuilt soon.

I am pleased to say that the Crossed Bones has been rebuilt. A few bits of rigging need to be redone, but otherwise it's good to sail away and pillage those villages!

EKnight

On 12/21/2023 at 2:28 AM, Elephant Knight said:

I am pleased to say that the Crossed Bones has been rebuilt. A few bits of rigging need to be redone, but otherwise it's good to sail away and pillage those villages!

EKnight

Good news! :pir-sweet: