BatteryPoweredBricks

What is the best Lego train control system?

I've seen this questions asked in many places online, often an entire forum thread with varying opinions, with at least a few saying "X system is garbage" without really giving it a fair shake.   I wanted to make a video that shows the pros and cons of the 9v, Power Functions and Powered Up systems.  Personally I use a combination of all three in conjunction with third party software and track.  I tried to make the video entertaining to fans that have been in the hobby for many years.  I've highlighted some really awesome projects that I saw as pushing Lego trains to their limits, one example being @Haddock51's 9v extreme setup.  Maybe this is something you can share with newcomers to the hobby as they are trying to way the pros and cons of each system.  I am absolutely open to constructive feedback if you feel I missed anything or got something wrong.

for me always 9v. ideally controlled by a microcontroller if you only have one train and if you have multiple 9v dcc.

2 minutes ago, XG BC said:

for me always 9v. ideally controlled by a microcontroller if you only have one train and if you have multiple 9v dcc.

DCC is definitely something I want to look into at some point.  But the list of "things I want to look into at some point" is getting quite long! :pir_laugh2:

You've made a really good overview of these three systems. Still I like to mention a couple of things which could be included:

PF: The possiblity to build your own drivelines using technic Lego stuff, choosing gears etc + M, L or XL motors, combined with small or large battery boxes....

PuP: Same as above, but with PuP series motors and battery boxes. And the possibility to use the 4ch Technic PuP hub with 1-2 train motors, lights/sensor etc, all controlled with custom programs made in the PuP app.

3 hours ago, Selander said:

You've made a really good overview of these three systems. Still I like to mention a couple of things which could be included:

PF: The possiblity to build your own drivelines using technic Lego stuff, choosing gears etc + M, L or XL motors, combined with small or large battery boxes....

PuP: Same as above, but with PuP series motors and battery boxes. And the possibility to use the 4ch Technic PuP hub with 1-2 train motors, lights/sensor etc, all controlled with custom programs made in the PuP app.

Thanks!  I don't have a whole lot of experience with Technic drive trains just yet, I actually just built my first one last week :pir-grin:.  Same goes for automation and the PuP app.  Really I dislike the app since programs can't be shared with others or between devices, that just kills any motivation to use it at all.  Definitely looking forward to learning more about the Brick Automation Project as well as @Novakasa's Brickrail project!

On 7/2/2023 at 10:20 PM, BatteryPoweredBricks said:

Same goes for automation and the PuP app.

With PUp you sure have the bloody app - and then all the BLE alternatives: There is PyBricks. There is Legoino. Full-blown programming features. Wireless.

And so many DIY solutions. I love to mix things - close by = wires; far away = wireless ... you have to figure out, how to play it, but I would never stick to one "system". You know that layouts may last for long, LEGO electronics does not. So, as they say in the financial world, which I don't like at all, diverse investments are most favorable.

As is diversity per se. Don't need any business and economics books and folks at all to figure that one out. :pir-huzzah2:

Just go nuts - you know for sure, how to do that!

Best
Thorsten

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

With PUp you sure have the bloody app - and then all the BLE alternatives: There is PyBricks. There is Legoino. Full-blown programming features. Wireless.

And so many DIY solutions. I love to mix things - close by = wires; far away = wireless ... you have to figure out, how to play it, but I would never stick to one "system". You know that layouts may last for long, LEGO electronics does not. So, as they say in the financial world, which I don't like at all, diverse investments are most favorable.

As is diversity per se. Don't need any business and economics books and folks at all to figure that one out. :pir-huzzah2:

Just go nuts - you know for sure, how to do that!

Best
Thorsten

Yep! Each system has its own advantages and even more when combined in interesting ways.  I posted this in a Lego train Facebook group as well, they all just read the first sentence of the post and commented their favorite system :pir_laugh2:.  I'm fine with fans having a favorite system for themselves, it's when they try to push it onto others where I take issue. 

4 minutes ago, Andy Glascott said:

But but but… 12volt…? Yeah, I’m living in the Lego past… 😂

I made sure to give a shoutout to @Reker1000000 and his amazing showcase of the 12 train system in the video :pir-grin:.  I just can't speak on their behalf not having any myself.  It was certainly the most robust system Lego ever produced!

I think Lego trains are more for building nice models and watching them ride in a more or less detailed layout, than having a full DCC automated layout. So I think it´s better to use non electrified tracks, for you don´t have to worry about loosing contact with time and be able to make loops easily. Furthermore, I prefer the PowerUp Lego system, where you have the best of 2 worlds (you can even achieve interesting levels of automation).

Circuit Cubes is great for smaller trains

9v is great because you only have to find space for the motor and no batteries required. PF and PU are great because they do not have the power drop at each track connection (when pulling heavy trains), because they have all plastic tracks there is a great variety of track geometries possible, and you have much more options for motors- including powering a steam engine with the drive wheels. Of the two, I like PF better because the engine does need constant connection with the controller and there were official Lego rechargeable batteries. There are work arounds for PU but... On the other hand, the fact that PU allows automation, sensors, and feedback control can be a bonus though. So no universal winner

46 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Circuit Cubes is great for smaller trains

9v is great because you only have to find space for the motor and no batteries required. PF and PU are great because they do not have the power drop at each track connection (when pulling heavy trains), because they have all plastic tracks there is a great variety of track geometries possible, and you have much more options for motors- including powering a steam engine with the drive wheels. Of the two, I like PF better because the engine does need constant connection with the controller and there were official Lego rechargeable batteries. There are work arounds for PU but... On the other hand, the fact that PU allows automation, sensors, and feedback control can be a bonus though. So no universal winner

I still need to devote some time to Circuit Cubes.  I have a set and whatever little Arduino thing I need to pair them with Lego controllers :pir_laugh2:.  I'll get to it eventually. 

I did use the "what is the best system" title as a bit of clickbait.  When I posted on FaceBook 90% of the responses were just "9v" or "12v", which I found pretty funny.  I'm not going to twist their arm to watch the video.  While there is no issue with someone having a best system for them personally, I've always found it annoying when people try to objectively say there is a best system for EVERYONE.  So far the comments on the video have been very positive.

I have a friend who has a layout large enough for PU trains to disconnect from the controller.  I'm glad he brought that to my attention so I could cover the PyBricks solution to that (thanks to @Lok24 for his excellent program).  My layouts are quite small in comparison to many Lego fans :pir-grin:

51 minutes ago, SDLgo9 said:

Did anyone make a case for 4.5v? 

As for the video the goal was to cover "the most recent and most widely used systems".  Which to me is 9v, PF and PU.  I'll leave it to Bricktsar to make videos on the 4.5v series :pir-grin:.  I think I have some parts and a couple 4.5v motors but not enough to build a train

@BatteryPoweredBricks

Finally watched the video. Just wanted to say that I love it! Great style, dry humor and very informative. One can tell that a decent amount of work went into its making. Keep up the amazing work. 

Agree with you that 9v is hands down absolutely no doubt the best system objectively for EVERYONE no questions asked. 

8 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

@BatteryPoweredBricks

Finally watched the video. Just wanted to say that I love it! Great style, dry humor and very informative. One can tell that a decent amount of work went into its making. Keep up the amazing work. 

Agree with you that 9v is hands down absolutely no doubt the best system objectively for EVERYONE no questions asked. 

Haha, thanks :pir_laugh2:.  It will be hard to top this project, I generally make a scripted video like that ever month or two due to the time investment, but I think this one paid off for sure.

9 volt for life :pir-grin:

I have not figured out how, but I am inclined to take that route with the 4.5V Technic Control stuff from 1986/7: "It is 4.5V. Thanks for watching." And then Interface A controls a 4.5V train - with a little help ...

OK, once I retire, that is. Give me 5.5 more years :pir-laugh:

You know, a lot of people don't believe me when I am claiming "5.5 more years, and I'm out" - not because of no ideas anymore regarding research, but so many other ideas regarding LEGO - OK and regarding the house, and the pets (hack, cats and dog), and the ... whatever. Not including my wife: I simply love her. 

All the best,
Thorsten