Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] 10320 Eldorado Fortress - Available NOW

12 minutes ago, LegoAUT said:

No the BB set is not made for adults compared to their medieval (BB special) buildings like castle Blaustein, it‘s very obvious when you look at the grade of detail and piece count. 

I personally prefer all those things you don‘t like and do not like the things you would prefer like printed wall panels haha. Guess it‘s impossible to please everyone. I believe the majority prefers newer building techniques over pure nostalgia though.

I agree, I like the newer build styles more, but that's because I have an original Eldorado sitting on the shelf next to me, and a number of Broadside's Brigs and Sabre Islands and one Lagoon Lock-up. I can build plenty of fun bluecoat stuff with those white/printed brick wall panels if I desire, and sometimes I do! I really like seeing what new parts the Lego designers use, and techniques that I'm not familiar with.

1 hour ago, F1stzz said:

We've had a little convo about it earlier in this thread and I'd say it's a matter of preference rly. I do think that masonry bricks would've done the job better in this case while saving a considerable number of pieces. I suppose my problem with the use of multibrick combos in dark red here is:

1) This is a playset, which has a strict piece count & dimensions — not a specifically designed MOC, which is generally not meant for sale and where the amount of parts can potentially grow limitlessly (even tho 10320 is desperately trying to make an impression of such a build);

2) The use of the aforementioned combos is a bit too chaotic. It would've been enough to simply imitate the printed walls by copying the pattern of those with bricks & additionally placing some of these copied patterns in fitting areas (such as the prison walls) — and it would've looked nicer. Unfortunately, as I've said previously, 10320 tries too hard to mimic some MOC builds for its own good, that's why the use of multibrick combos in here feels kinda inconsistent (if not completely random) to me.

I agree.

1) I don't like overly detailed MOCs with huge amounts of parts. I think it's all too much. If this can sometimes arouse my admiration in the same way that one appreciates a model or a painting for example, it is not what fills my enthusiasm for LEGO. What I'm most sensitive to is playability and that's probably why I love the sets of classic 80s and 90s themes because they emphasize this dimension. Somehow there is something salutary in the fact that LEGO was limited in parts and colors during this era compared to now: although some models had never been so detailed when they were released it is the playability and the imagination that prevailed. Add to that a simple (not simplistic) but extremely effective aesthetic and you get timeless sets. There is something mysteriously brilliant about it: a balance between parts, shapes and color combinations. It's not too realistic, but enough to invest your imagination in it. To a certain extent and if we are willing to accept the comparison, It gives me a similar effect as the songs of great artists do with their emphasis on pop songwriting approach: a limited number of chords but a way of combining them and producing melodies that are unique and timeless. Somehow, less is more.Besides, I take this opportunity to ask you: are there any documents that theorize on the charm of the LEGOs of those years and that seek to explain why they are so successful?

In the case of 10320 Eldorado Fortress, we see that it is still a playset, admittedly deluxe and intended for adults, but which is gently eyeing the MOC, where the imperial buildings of 2009 (6242) and 2015 (70410, 70412) used a satisfactory number of parts. There are a lot of small things here that seem useless to me, such as the white ingots, the door built in bricks or the elements that make up the tower on which the crane is based to produce angular effects. In this specific case, why not choose big white meta pieces? The aesthetic result would have been better I think. Admittedly, the rocky brick base greatly inflates the number of pieces and one could have imagined the use of larger pieces, but paradoxically it revives playability due to the infinite possibilities offered by the invitation to modular creativity, and that's great because if I love the 10320 although I find some "flaws", I will buy it in multiple copies in order to create my own imperial buildings. It's a real chance to see this kind of classic retro sets emerging today.

2) Your proposal is undoubtedly the best. They integrated some masonry pieces in dark red at the level of the window of the cabinet of the governor, but why note more of them for the decayed walls ? The rendering of these combos is quite variable I find. There are places on the fortress where it works very well, the front facade for example, and others where it is weird, for example the tower on which the crane rests. In general, there are probably a bit too many and I would have preferred a mix of masonry pieces and small bricks as you suggest. But nothing that cannot be changed! The overall rendering is fantastic otherwise.

Edited by Khargeust

17 hours ago, iragm said:

That fortress is underwhelming to me --  I looked at the instructions and the only interesting part of the build was the wine rack in the cellar.  The rest of it looks like someone's MOC from the early 2000s--all very basic techniques and pieces.  To say that it's better than Eldorado doesn't give credit to the Eldorado build techniques and overall look and feel, which are unquestionably above average.  Is there better stuff than Eldorado on rebrickable?  You bet.  Is there better stuff from Bluebrixx?  No.

@jodawill

Well everybody has a different taste. Did you look at the Bluebrixx Main building only, that's underwhelming but if you combine the 4 modular buildings which are sold seperately, then it's impressive and better then Eldorado Fortress. Just my taste. I will still buy Eldorado Fortress(nostalgia) but I wait for GWP Majisto. And if the imperial soldiers are available at PaB, I will buy all the 4 modular Imperial Fortress sets as well from Bluebrixx and populate them with Lego minifigs. I am not a Lego purist. I like Lego but Bluebrixx and Mouldking as well. :wub:

By the way : any news on GWP Majisto? 

I am very curious how Lego did the Dragon Master soldier /knight. 

2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Besides, I take this opportunity to ask you: are there any documents that theorize on the charm of the LEGOs of those years and that seek to explain why they are so successful?

First of all — I appreciate the whole first paragraph of yours & completely relate to it :pir-sweet: It's mesmerising to witness people coming up with & building huge LEGO dioramas including forts, ships, jungle areas of all dimensions, etc. — but I know for a fact that I'd prefer to own Marooned Martin's Black Pearl to the one by MOC Your Bricks, no matter how detailed & close to the real ship the latter is. The reason: Martin's version is fairly close to the original while being cheaper, playable (and when I'm saying "playable" sitting at 25+ years of age I mean "suitable for mods, stop motions and photography") & compact enough for me to put it in my closet. LEGO is a collectible toy, which implies "collectibles that you can put into action" — and this is what makes the whole thing so special. If I want something to sit on a shelf to be touched once a month during a clean-up (since I have no intent or option to participate in various kinds of exhibitions & contests) — I don't need Legos in particular, as there are lots of other collectibles to suit the task while being miles more accurate to the source material & have a more elite appearance at that. But that's not what I want in fact, is it? I want to constantly mod & change things up to my taste & imagination without having to spend enormous amounts of cash or reserving the whole rooms of space for my builds — how do I do that with a glued & painted models or huge display MOCs? So I feel ya there, m8 :pir-wink:

About your question tho, I really don't know if there were any researches made in that regard, but I don't think those are needed either. One word, lad: efficiency. Classics are efficient at what they're meant to be: a collectible toys. Every detail put in those builds has a clear thought behind it, serves its purpose and provides an opportunity for expansions without any sacrifices. Example: how do I expand on the idea of those teardrop-shaped windows in 6276, which are just there for aesthetics? I put cannons in each of them & there we go! Now, how do I expand on the idea of rectangular windows in 10320 (which ain't even on the same lvl aesthetically compared to 6276)? I don't. I just take the whole section out, throwing it into the bin & proceed to recreate the original design, cuz ain't no way the fortress is being defended from the front with muskets, lol. Same with the governor's office: in 6276 there's nothing in there! But you know what is there in fact? Yeah — THE SPACE! Space, which you're allowed to fill however you wish. 10320 puts a table with accessories in the office — but there's no space in the room whatsoever, so the figure's only option is to STAND ON THE EDGE OF THE WALL or hug a cannon, kek. Not to mention the half-roof, lmao. That's why classic sets, which have three times lesser piece count, are more efficient at being collectible toys & therefore better than some of the modern stuff — because they're designed with kids in mind & provide opportunities for kids to play and mod, and expand on the initial build using their imagination & just a few additional parts. Modern stuff, while representing classic sets, is designed for adults to pay a hefty price for it, build it once, put it on a shelf & leave it there. That also explains the presence of those silly gimmicks like a trapdoor in the middle of a courtyard/secondary dock, which is not even accessible if you go with the main display option; a meaningless "letter in a box" & as meaningless canal plug skeleton, etc. Classic sets are great collectible toys — modern sets have dropped the "toys" part & therefore lost the spirit & the plot. 

3 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Admittedly, the rocky brick base greatly inflates the number of pieces and one could have imagined the use of larger pieces, but paradoxically it revives playability due to the infinite possibilities offered by the invitation to modular creativity...

Yeah, I mean it WOULD'VE REVIVED playability if the inner layer of the fortress was not trying to pointlessly continue on simulating the rocky base & actually had that space open for utilisation: dungeons, barracks, cargo holds, etc. — it was easy for TLG to execute, but we've already established the fact we're not dealing with a toy here, so there was no need to, I assume.

They integrated some masonry pieces in dark red at the level of the window of the cabinet of the governor, but why note more of them for the decayed walls ?

I might be wrong here, we need @eldiano to tell us for a fact, but I guess there's actually not a single masonry brick in dark red used in the set — only few of those in light bluish gray. What you're referring to is actually a combo of various 1x2/4 plates and something else, I suppose.

I know everyone loves the Workshop, but I want a remake of Majisto's Tower. It's such a rarity, I've never come across one even in NA. So many good parts too, I want to build one and then customize it to be a fuller building. It's a bit sparse on the back (what 90s castle isn't?) but that's fine, and it's actually got a ladder and stairs and everything else my dorky child self wanted out of sets.

6 hours ago, DonQuixote said:

By the way : any news on GWP Majisto? 

Today an employee of the LEGO Store Amsterdam (NL) gave me a tip to wait untill monday/tuesday to buy 10320, because of 'something extra :wink:'.
I was already in line for the register, but asked if they had one with the transport box, so put it back on the shelf.

He didn't want to say what (GWP) it was exactly... ('I wasn't allowed to say anything at all, really')

Edited by CvS

27 minutes ago, CvS said:

Today an employee of the LEGO Store Amsterdam (NL) gave me a tip to wait untill monday/tuesday to buy 10320, because of 'something extra :wink:'.
I was already in line for the register, but asked if they had one with the transport box, so put it back on the shelf.

He didn't want to say what (GWP) it was exactly... ('I wasen't allowed to say anything at all, really')

O.O

1 hour ago, F1stzz said:

Yeah, I mean it WOULD'VE REVIVED playability if the inner layer of the fortress was not trying to pointlessly continue on simulating the rocky base & actually had that space open for utilisation: dungeons, barracks, cargo holds, etc. — it was easy for TLG to execute, but we've already established the fact we're not dealing with a toy here, so there was no need to, I assume.

You are quite unfair here, ;-) I think they have made good use of the space under the fortress, provided that it is in modular mode, however.

1 hour ago, F1stzz said:

I might be wrong here, we need @eldiano to tell us for a fact, but I guess there's actually not a single masonry brick in dark red used in the set — only few of those in light bluish gray. What you're referring to is actually a combo of various 1x2/4 plates and something else, I suppose.

Very strange when you see these pictures, especially in the left lower corner, but you are probably right (pictures from Jay's Brick blog and the Brickset review :

LEGO-10320-Eldorado-Fortress-Admiral-Tow

97564_Eldorado%2024.jpg

97564_Eldorado%2026.jpg

40 minutes ago, CvS said:

He didn't want to say what (GWP) it was exactly... ('I wasen't allowed to say anything at all, really')

It's "nothing more" than 40580 Blacktron Cruiser, 40581 BIONICLE Tahu and Takua, 40512 Fun & Funky VIP Add On Pack GWP as officially announced. There's no way Majisto promo set will come next week.

2 hours ago, F1stzz said:

There’s only two red masonry bricks in this set that are red and are hidden in the governors office window., the other masonry bricks are gray and the manual wants you to flip them around 😒

this set is obsessed with 1x2 dark red/round edges as masonry bricks.  I don’t know what they were trying to convey here.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:09 PM, DonQuixote said:

Has anyone the same ideas of putting Eldorado Fortress together with the motorized lighthouse. I think they will make each other look better. I didn't bought the lighthouse because it's too expensive for what you get. I will never use the gimmicks of it. But now I am tempted to buy the lighthouse afterall because it will look like an impressive fort with lighthouse. And the colors are some what similar. 

Any thoughts? 

Yes, my plan exactly!

The lighthouse is, for some time now, already on my 'LEGO shelf'
The spot for the new EF has, in the meantime, been by taken Captain Redbeard(s) and his maty.
Waiting impatiently for their chance to plunder the fortress again.
And out of revenge, because they're not included in the remake...:pir-triumph::pir-grin:

1280x897.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/CvS/40504-redbeard--the-lighthouse

One thing: it would leave no (real) room for the pirates...:pir-cry_sad:
(I think the lighthouse is most suitable for the Imperials)

You are quite unfair here, ;-) I think they have made good use of the space under the fortress, provided that it is in modular mode, however.

Glad you like it, sir, that's one point of yours I respectfully disagree with :pir-wink:

...especially in the left lower corner...

Should've payed more attention there, those are indeed the masonry bricks and here...

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

There’s only two red masonry bricks in this set that are red and are hidden in the governors office window.

...is the confirmation we needed :thumbup: Thanks @eldiano for your reply, much appreciated :pir-thumb:

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

this set is obsessed with 1x2 dark red/round edges as masonry bricks.  I don’t know what they were trying to convey here.

That was the topic of our discussion with @Khargeust — seemingly TLG just tried to go for similar design choices like those being performed by many MOC builders out there, but kinda missed the point of this particular technique & splattered it all over the place inconsistently (I'd even say tastelessly). Simultaneously boosting up the piece count, ofc. 

9 hours ago, CvS said:

He didn't want to say what (GWP) it was exactly... ('I wasn't allowed to say anything at all, really')

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-vip-days-coming-soon/

12 hours ago, CvS said:

Yes, my plan exactly!

The lighthouse is, for some time now, already on my 'LEGO shelf'
The spot for the new EF has, in the meantime, been by taken Captain Redbeard(s) and his maty.
Waiting impatiently for their chance to plunder the fortress again.
And out of revenge, because they're not included in the remake...:pir-triumph::pir-grin:

1280x897.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/CvS/40504-redbeard--the-lighthouse

One thing: it would leave no (real) room for the pirates...:pir-cry_sad:
(I think the lighthouse is most suitable for the Imperials)

Wow, this looks great! :pir-love:Please send a new picture when you have put the Eldorado Fortress in there. 

Adding a lighthouse in an Imperial modular set is a must! I plan to add one when I create my own fortress, but I'll make sure it blends in as well as possible, whether in size, colors, or parts. The motorized lighthouse produced by LEGO is too large to be integrated into an imperial playset.

Did you know that LEGO has a marketing page on their online store about classic retro sets? I just stumbled upon it by clicking on a link at the bottom of the 10320 EF page :

https://www.lego.com/en-us/categories/adults-welcome/article/vintage-lego-sets-from-childhood

Edited by Khargeust

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but going through the instructions manual I stumbled upon something interesting.

172454469_dockalongside.jpg.cc529199e69d1620a241618472c50195.jpg

I'm looking forward to see how this option works out.

34 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but going through the instructions manual I stumbled upon something interesting.

172454469_dockalongside.jpg.cc529199e69d1620a241618472c50195.jpg

I'm looking forward to see how this option works out.

Brickset shows it in their review of the set:

97564_Eldorado%2060.jpg

5 hours ago, lomis said:

Brickset shows it in their review of the set:

Ohh, so it was noticed before. Thank yee for the image :pir-huzzah2:

My order is still doing that thing where they print a label and count it as shipping. :pir_laugh2:

Mine's about two hours away according to the tracking. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Nice! I was just curious to see what kind of MOC other users from here have come up with! 

Got my arrival today !

Let the fun begin. 

What photo gallery are people using to upload images? surely 100kb can't be the limit?

DSC_5925.JPG

6 minutes ago, CAESARBLACK said:

What photo gallery are people using to upload images? surely 100kb can't be the limit? 

DSC_5925.JPG

Flickr if you have an account or Imgur for a quick fix.

Also WOW you have two of those! Are you planning to build them both and connect them?

1 minute ago, zinnn said:

Flickr if you have an account or Imgur for a quick fix.

Also WOW you have two of those! Are you planning to build them both and connect them?

Same thing i did with POBB , Build one to the instructions and MOC one the way I want.

1980 called and they want leaves back....so I am just waiting on my pick a brick order to arrive today as I am going to be changing up the Palm/Coconut trees to be more authentic.