According to Brick Clicker the next LEGO Icons set will be a scale model of the Concorde.
Set nr.: 10318
Nr. of pieces: 2083
Price: 199.99$
Release date: September 4th
Licensed: Yes (Airbus)
Length on stand: 102cm / 40in
Dimensions: 105 cm x 43 cm x 15 cm
Scale: 1:60
Lead Designer: Milan Madge
Stickers: none

Edited by R0Sch
update

I recently bought the Cobi version, but I'm sure the Lego version will be far superior. I probably can't afford to buy it this fall though. Maybe in a couple of years when it's about to retire.

Curious to see how they do all the rounded acute angles/ cones, especially the front. It could make or break the appearance.

Hoping to see the gears retracting as well.

Fascinated to see this.  My parents used to live near Heathrow and regularly heard Concorde pierce the sound barrier up above.  Unfortunately they moved away and Concorde was terminated before I could ever see one and remember it, as for most of my childhood we didn’t go abroad.

Edited by Vilhelm22

If this turns out to be true, I hope it is in scale with the microscale TARDIS from the Dimensions sets. Why, you ask?

There was a whole series of episodes taking place in / around two Concorde's warping through time to the beginning of the ice age in Doctor Who. (Time-Flight, parts 1 - 4, from 1982)

Would be neat to see if they were compatible.

this is a are fantastic news!!!!   cannot wait to see how they are going to accommodate the nose, the tall landing gear and all the angles for the aircraft. 

On 5/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Fascinated to see this.  My parents used to live near Heathrow and regularly heard Concorde pierce the sound barrier up above.  Unfortunately they moved away and Concorde was terminated before I could ever see one and remember it, as for most of my childhood we didn’t go abroad.

I alway remember it on the approach flightpath going over Richmond Common, and no matter how many times you saw it, everyone always stopped in their tracks and looked up.

Finally, something actually iconic that deserves that LEGO theme moniker. Can't wait to see if they bring some of the Speed Champions techniques to capture the curvature of the fuselage and nose cone.

Only controversial question now is will it come with BA or AF livery? Hopefully both (not exactly many extra bricks) and hopefully not stickers!

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Only controversial question now is will it come with BA or AF livery? Hopefully both (not exactly many extra bricks) and hopefully not stickers!

If LEGO wants a true nation-neutral livery they could allways do the prototype/pre-production liveries:

Spoiler

1926.013l.jpg

They probably won't, as the two airline liveries can act as the light customization element they add to most Icons vehicle sets.

I think printed vs stickered passenger cabin windows will be the deciding factor whether I buy it.  

If they do the final schemes for BA and AF, then they should be able the use the same piece multiple times along the sides to do all the windows needed, for both schemes with no stripes.  Just a simple print of windows, and perhaps a dozen of them or so?  (depending on scale) 

But if they want a ton of window-stickers going down each side---pass.

I contemplated building the failed ideas set but ultimately passed due to its small size. This will hopefully be more in scale with the old Boeing. Looking forward to see what they do with this. 

I am very excited about this! I have always wanted a large scale accurate Lego plane, and after seeing the real Concorde at a museum I have found it to be a very interesting and beautiful work of engineering, and it is definitely one of my favorite planes. I’m interested to see how they build it, and if it will include features like landing gear and tilting nose. I wonder if they’ll be able to include any interior to it. It has a similar price count to the space shuttle, so I could see it being of a similar size (though likely longer and maybe a thinner fuselage). It’ll also be interesting to see the livery(s?) chosen and what scale it will be built at. Very exciting!

I’m really hoping they give us the option of having British airways or Air France !

Moreover , a PEPSI Concorde would be a great as a second edition of the models after a couple of years , just like they did with the parrot and the FIAT .

Pictures are out! From Reddit:

Spoiler

g2uiarf6mxfb1.jpg?width=758&format=pjpg&

0lv77sf6mxfb1.jpg?width=758&format=pjpg&

Has a working landing gear and droop nose, plus some interior detail.

Interesting to see them using the factory livery instead of Air France/British Airways.

The photo of the real one on the box, is not what the set is.  Most prototype Concordes had MUCH smaller and shorter tailcones than the production versions (and most also lacked the iconic vertical-slats visor, instead having small windows).  The photo on the box clearly has a tiny little stub of a tailcone. 

This set itself has the bigger tailcone, which means it has to specifically be the fourth prototype, F-WTSA. No other Concorde had the big tailcone and this paint scheme.  

Edited by steele

7 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Is this the first set to use SNOTed bricks as wings? 

As an aircraft or do we count spaceships ? I can't find the reference at the moment but I do have a clear picture in my mind of a few models that have SNOT wings (but could be in my imagination ^^). 

That being said as a lego passenger aircraft designer I'm super happy about the result for the Concorde and hope it's the sign for more to come. The last official "icons" style pax aircraft was the Dreamliner which was lacking quite a bit in the details (and the saggy wings were unfortunate). Also happy that neither AF nor BA were chosen as liveries (although I expect mods or decals to appear quite quickly). 

Why did lego put Airbus speciallly with this livery ?

it looks a lot like the one ( F-WTSA ) I have the chance to see regularly at Musée Delta (Athis-Mons near Orly)

Concorde was designed and built by Sud Aviation and British Aircraft Corporation (BAC)

Sud Aviation became Aerospatiale and now Airbus / British Aircraft Corporation became British Aerospace and is now BAE Systems

2 hours ago, fred-eric said:

Why did lego put Airbus speciallly with this livery ?

it looks a lot like the one ( F-WTSA ) I have the chance to see regularly at Musée Delta (Athis-Mons near Orly)

Concorde was designed and built by Sud Aviation and British Aircraft Corporation (BAC)

Sud Aviation became Aerospatiale and now Airbus / British Aircraft Corporation became British Aerospace and is now BAE Systems

Airbus holds the trademark for the Concorde.

Oh man, that front section and nose are ugly as hell and why on earth would they reveal how much a unicorn threw up in the interior just to show the retractable landing gear linked to the tilting nose cone?

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

Oh man, that front section and nose are ugly as hell and why on earth would they reveal how much a unicorn threw up in the interior just to show the retractable landing gear linked to the tilting nose cone?

the nose being an amblematic part it would have deserved a new part :-(

does front part of the landing gear work tilting or turning the nose ( like the rear ) there is a Universal Joint 3L at both ends ?

So grateful Lego is making a proper plane again. Little disappointed by the wing build and concerned about the tiny stand (maybe it's weighted down). Curious to see if can rest on its landing gear. Toilet...check.

I work for Airbus, maybe I will get a discount.

8 hours ago, Nobricksleft said:

So grateful Lego is making a proper plane again. Little disappointed by the wing build and concerned about the tiny stand (maybe it's weighted down). Curious to see if can rest on its landing gear.

Why does the stand need to be weighted and larger? If the placement is in the center of mass, it will not tip over. Regarding the landing gear they seem sturdy enough and with the worm gears will get self-locked. Definitely better than the ones used in the Airbus helicopter.

The squared wings looks bad though and something they copied off another Ideas entry:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e4fe7a39-43f2-4c01-8fd3-ec85ff191e5d
instead of looking at the one that achieved the 10.000 votes but was rejected less then a year ago with the explanation: "Our team has thoroughly considered the possibility of releasing this project as a LEGO set according to the criteria of the LEGO Review. Unfortunately, the LEGO Review Board has decided that we will not produce this project as a set. Thank you to Orbiter88 [...] We’re sorry to deliver this disappointing news."
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f4d4c923-963d-4ec0-b5d0-0004032da22e

18 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Why does the stand need to be weighted and larger? If the placement is in the center of mass, it will not tip over. Regarding the landing gear they seem sturdy enough and with the worm gears will get self-locked. Definitely better than the ones used in the Airbus helicopter.

The squared wings looks bad though and something they copied off another Ideas entry:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/e4fe7a39-43f2-4c01-8fd3-ec85ff191e5d
instead of looking at the one that achieved the 10.000 votes but was rejected less then a year ago with the explanation: "Our team has thoroughly considered the possibility of releasing this project as a LEGO set according to the criteria of the LEGO Review. Unfortunately, the LEGO Review Board has decided that we will not produce this project as a set. Thank you to Orbiter88 [...] We’re sorry to deliver this disappointing news."
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f4d4c923-963d-4ec0-b5d0-0004032da22e

I understand C of G, but the stand footprint provides stability when the model is manipulated at the extremities. Its over a meter long, accidents will happen and a longer stand makes the difference between a few parts knocked off and a test flight.

Gears might self lock but theres always play in those, plus I wonder about the load path and structure deflection when taking the weight.

I understand the disappointment of Lego Ideas designers, but it's unfortunately part of the process. Orbiter 88 wing design was also a single SNOT layer but at least he used rounded bricks for the leading edge. I would have liked to see the use of curved slopes, especially for a surpersonic wing.

Edited by Nobricksleft