Chapeau to TLG for selling us a suspension using only one spring, that should technically have 3 per axle. I'm just not sure if that's a mistake or fully intentional. Either way, the body is an upgrade to the Ford GT, but that suspension system is mechanically wrong/unfinished, which is a shame for a TECHNIC model IMO.

Not really interested in the source material, but that looks so much more accurate, "finished" and "clean", than the 42154 Ford GT for example. This is probably going to be twice the price, but still; well done, designer.

Rear axle does have suspension, and the structure looks like below. Blue 9L beam replaces the shock absorber because the absorber isn't available in Studio.

This suspension is not a pull rod type and still a push rod one but placed below the axle.

0pyWgeu.png

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Yep, and it is missing 2 springs to it's real life counterpart. Apparently, they tried to do a heave spring setup but either forgot or intentionally left out the springs that connect to each individual wheel. The result of this is that the whole car gets unstable as soon as it gets under a bit of compression (it would tip to either the right or left). 

17 minutes ago, Bensch55 said:

Yep, and it is missing 2 springs to it's real life counterpart. Apparently, they tried to do a heave spring setup but either forgot or intentionally left out the springs that connect to each individual wheel. The result of this is that the whole car gets unstable as soon as it gets under a bit of compression (it would tip to either the right or left). 

The original suspension set-up is very complex with all the exact dampers and angles. It also relies on torsion bar, which TLG possibly won't to.

Edit: Also, these are dampers, not springs in the pic.

img_1406-numbered.jpg

Edited by Jundis

It's not necessary to do it with torsion bars, they could've just connected standard springs directly to the pushrods or on each rocker arm to counteract it. Either someone at TLG didn't understand the system or it was left out for costs sake. I remember a supercar of an alternative parts producer that had a working heave spring setup, using 3 springs. Without the two side springs this is more or less just a gloryfied tractor or wheel loader type swing axle.

14 minutes ago, Bensch55 said:

It's not necessary to do it with torsion bars, they could've just connected standard springs directly to the pushrods or on each rocker arm to counteract it. Either someone at TLG didn't understand the system or it was left out for costs sake. I remember a supercar of an alternative parts producer that had a working heave spring setup, using 3 springs. Without the two side springs this is more or less just a gloryfied tractor or wheel loader type swing axle.

If you look at the real suspension in more detail, you will see standard shock absorbers won't work, because one the shock absorbers has to deal with pushing AND pulling, depending on which side the car tilts. I tried a setup like this a while ago and it's really massive, too big for a 1:10 car:

I think the designer did an excellent work given the limitations, the setup looks very close to the original.

Yes, it's possible at 1:8 scale, but the Peugeot is 1:10 scale, so there's much less space. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you also have to take into considiration the space needed for differential, steering, the very low bodywork, etc... Also the final result has to be durable, reliable and easy to build.

10 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

and easy to build

Why does it have to be easy? And still, my point is that the whole suspension isn't stable as they made it, which is a major flaw; A Technic set, where the most prominent "function" isn't even working properly? 

If there is no room or other conditions wouldn't allow it, then why bother with it at all? Just make it a pull/pushrod setup similar to the F1 cars and have some decorative piece to illustrate the heave spring. Also, mounting x928cx1 directly on the rockers pivot would've been an option to replicate the real torsion bars.

I appreciate the effort and intention to do something different than the same old setups we had for decades now, but this one is sadly even worse.  

7 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I really like the little front fake electric motor. 

No, the arches are the ones from Batmobile 42127, and the wheels/tires are the same as the rears on 42127.

ok good, thanks :)

I really like this model. It appears to be a large improvement over both 42096 and 42125. In both looks and complexity. Its not an empty shell like the other 1:10 cars.

Its also very nice to see them trying something else with the suspension. The same independent suspension getting reused in every sports car model was getting boring.

Give me a bucketful of those new 3x5 flipflops now!

Other than that, even less interesting than most Technic car sets.

Front suspension:

VGVjsLD.png

Front axle drive:

sWGvYUs.png

Steering axle 

IcsUw5E.png

Full drive train. You can see that the axles are not connected through any means

8S7Bnor.png

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

I like it, for a 1:10 scale car I think the suspension is okay, and at least it's slightly different to all the other cars. Adding the front wheel drive to the fake motor is a welcome addition also, and yay for working steering wheel!! If it was a 1:8 car I'd be dissatisfied with it but for a 1:10 scale it's pretty good.

WTF are those huge ugly gaps above the wheels? No one at TLG bothered to cover them? The engine hood just resting on top of car without hinges is extremely lazy. The cockpit and A-pillar area looks really weird indeed. And as usual with any Technic car, this looks like a jagged mess of panels.

The set seems to be somewhat of an improvement over the other dismal 1:10 sets, with a denser build and HOG steering, but that was a really low bar to clear anyway. The colour vomit underneath with orange(!) pins seems to persist, and 200 euros for a janky plastic toy car with minimal functions is ridiculous.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Just now, johnnytifosi said:

WTF are those huge ugly gaps above the wheels? No one at TLG bothered to cover them? 

You mean the gaps which are also present in the real car? :tongue:

Although I must admit, the real car only seems to have half the gaps.

6ede79c2c7a1fbc5f2059e8298ec6e4959cf22b3

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

You mean the gaps which are also present in the real car? :tongue:

Although I must admit, the real car only seems to have half the gaps.

Huh, they weren't that visible at front photos of the car so I should retract that statement. They still look uglier than the source material. Lego Technic just sucks for replicating such complex real life designs IMO.

2 minutes ago, johnnytifosi said:

They still look uglier than the source material. 

That I agree.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Full drive train. You can see that the axles are not connected through any means

8S7Bnor.png

That's a first in Lego car history!