BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

I think it's high time this set (?) got its own thread since it is completely separate from the anniversary Castle :wink:

For those who are out of the loop: Images recently leaked of a 3,000-piece "Medieval Village" set. I can't share the pictures since they're confidential, but you know where to find them.

Discuss!

Edited by BrickJagger
thread title change

I am stoked for this set!  TLG has been killing it with castle sets recently.  This village looks to be a good balance of civilian and castle pieces if treated as a parts pack.  The most interesting parts for me will be the goat (color?) and the knights (faction?).  Looks like the flags on the tower are red and yellow, so presumably lion knights.  Could be a placeholder tho.  Either way it is double the size of MMV and is more detailed.  Hope this leak makes its way to production.

I am still not 100% convinced about the buildings but that might change with better resolution pictures (hopefully).

54 minutes ago, sahidko said:

I am still not 100% convinced about the buildings but that might change with better resolution pictures (hopefully).

the buildings look rather bland and unsinspired. I rather doubt this will be the final set (if at all). 

It would be so nice to have an accompanying set for the 10305 castle, hopefully with some awesome civilian figs. 

Edited by Poco Lypso

Just a tangent - I notice the pictures not being sharable because they're considered leaks.  I think we had this with the early Lion Knights Castle and Forest Hideout sets, and certain places using crude drawings to accompany the leaks.  Is that considered acceptable in this case?

I just think it's weird to discuss without some visual reference.

That being said, I've heard some people compare the watchtower part of the set to Guarded Inn.  I kind of see the reference if I squint hard, and I think it'd be a cool throwback if they had one of the buildings actually be a nod to Guarded Inn, complete with the sign at the front.

As someone who missed the original MMV I'm going to buy it regardless but the prototype images don't make it look terribly appealing. The buildings look pretty odd as the colors are all fairly bright and clash. I like the sand green one and the red guarded inn throwback but the snot yellow one really stands out. I would assume they fold in together like the MMV if not for the colors, as is it seems like four completely separate sets thrown together. Obviously heavily subject to change so not much use nitpicking it now. I would be shocked if we don't get it in some form with the treatment castle has been getting lately along with the legendary status of MMV and MVR. With the blacksmith retiring late this year it seems like this set may fill the gap, hopefully at a price point that isn't too much higher   

I can’t bring myself to criticize details one way or the other since it’s both preliminary and so low res. 

What I can do is be excited that TLG is even thinking this direction and hoping that something like this does come to fruition. Fingers crossed!

Thank you very much for the information! :classic:

I really like this set and bet that it will go into production! :wub:

It could be already this summer / fall (so the castle is still "alive" and people so more likely will buy the village as add-on) or maybe firstly next year (so people can save money after the very expensive castle). We'll see.

Definately the picture seen is only a prelim. The buildings on the left and the watch tower with inn (?) seem to look nearly perfected, whereas the big building on the right still needs some perfection. But I'm sure that this will be done til its release.

I could well imagine following buildings (from left to right): blacksmith shop, bakery, watch tower, inn and merchant's store. What do you think?

4 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for the information! :classic:

I really like this set and bet that it will go into production! :wub:

It could be already this summer / fall (so the castle is still "alive" and people so more likely will buy the village as add-on) or maybe firstly next year (so people can save money after the very expensive castle). We'll see.

Definately the picture seen is only a prelim. The buildings on the left and the watch tower with inn (?) seem to look nearly perfected, whereas the big building on the right still needs some perfection. But I'm sure that this will be done til its release.

I could well imagine following buildings (from left to right): blacksmith shop, bakery, watch tower, inn and merchant's store. What do you think?

they shouldn't wait too long imo. at best they could make this an anual thing with more stuff being added to the mediaval kingdom like a medieval farm or village and a black falcon fortress

Honestly from the photo I've got, it looks near perfect. Just the minifigs look unfinished to me but it is preliminary so I imagine they look unfinished because they are unfinished. I suspect for example that the jester will have a new jester torso.

On 2/4/2023 at 6:50 PM, SirBlake said:

I can’t bring myself to criticize details one way or the other since it’s both preliminary and so low res. 

What I can do is be excited that TLG is even thinking this direction and hoping that something like this does come to fruition. Fingers crossed!

Yes! I am super excited for this and hope it‘s going to be released soonish :)

On 2/4/2023 at 1:16 AM, kill will said:

As someone who missed the original MMV I'm going to buy it regardless but the prototype images don't make it look terribly appealing. The buildings look pretty odd as the colors are all fairly bright and clash. I like the sand green one and the red guarded inn throwback but the snot yellow one really stands out. I would assume they fold in together like the MMV if not for the colors, as is it seems like four completely separate sets thrown together. Obviously heavily subject to change so not much use nitpicking it now. I would be shocked if we don't get it in some form with the treatment castle has been getting lately along with the legendary status of MMV and MVR. With the blacksmith retiring late this year it seems like this set may fill the gap, hopefully at a price point that isn't too much higher   

I think from a description that was out somewhere the buildings are in pairs and can go back-to-back despite the diffrerent colours, like the Diagon Alley set 

Since the Medieval Blacksmith I’ve got really into the civilian side of castle, I really hope this gets made as it’s the leak I’m most interested in, alongside the Snow White cottage 

Looks like most of the leaked images were taken off Instagram.  I don't usually follow leaks there so I'm not sure if this normally happens.

4 hours ago, Triceron said:

Looks like most of the leaked images were taken off Instagram.  I don't usually follow leaks there so I'm not sure if this normally happens.

Wow, you’re right. Gone from most (but not all) of Reddit too. I’ve never seen that happen before. 

3 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Wow, you’re right. Gone from most (but not all) of Reddit too. I’ve never seen that happen before. 

Not the first time I've seen it happen, lego once had my entire flickr account deleted because I was posting leaked set pics.

8 hours ago, Triceron said:

Let's just say it doesn't normally happen to false leaks so if anyone needed anymore proof.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, kill will said:

It hurts more than anything because in 2010 I lived in Georgia close to the Discovery Center mall when LEGO had a small footprint of stores in the US and I always saw the Medieval Village set in display and for sale, but I never bought it because my dumb megablocks didn’t think it matched with the newly released Kingdoms lineup, I went there almost every weekend but I was there when they also had them on clearance so imagine my horror to realize how much they went up after wards.

I just want the set for more animals which I’m sure I’ll love buying extras ins PaB hehehehe

Well sucks that some of those leaks are all gone.  I saw someone who did a pretty decent list of all the things they see in the set, all the minifigs and animals and buildings etc.  Wish I'd saved that but I wasn't home all weekend, and they were all gone by the time I got back.

The original MMV came out when I was well into my Dark Ages.  Looking back, I still don't really have any interest in that set.  I can see why people like it though.  It's a neat civilian set, and we didn't really get those often.

That being said, after getting the Lion Knight's Castle and having some animals in it, I've gotten a new interest in getting more.  I even picked up an after-market GWP Funky Fun pack just for the pigs.  This set looks like a great compliment to the Lion Knight's Castle, and having a goat is always a plus.

I really wonder what the scale of this would be next to the LKC.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:50 PM, SirBlake said:

I feel much the same. Especially if they are doing market research for a concept, the details don't really matter. But the fact that they are at least thinking of releasing such a set is at least a positive. But way too early to discuss what details were in the images.

Edited by MAB

18 hours ago, Triceron said:

The original MMV came out when I was well into my Dark Ages.  Looking back, I still don't really have any interest in that set.  I can see why people like it though.  It's a neat civilian set, and we didn't really get those often. 

It helps that back when MMV came out, KFOL-oriented playsets and adult-oriented exclusives alike often had simpler builds than they often do now. So even the relatively simple/traditional construction of the walls, roofs, and tree (about on par with contemporary Creator 3-in-1 sets) was still an impressive level of detail for that time. Same goes for the following year's Imperial Flagship, which was a pretty groundbreaking set for its time, but nowadays it's been surpassed in detail even by some more KFOL-oriented sailing ships like 70618, and primarily stands out in hindsight for its number of sails.

This new medieval village/marketplace set naturally looks as though it'll be a lot more impressive than MMV by today's standards, with more complex roofs and wall timbers (similar to those in last year's Lion Knights' Castle), and multiple types of tree. It's hard for me to really appraise or analyze it in much more detail than that when all we've seen is one small, blurry image, but I'm sure when better/more finalized pics surface it will give us even more reasons to get excited!

This would be a dream set for me if it comes out :wub_drool: Would go perfect with MVR and MMV in addition to last years castle in my mind.

I do not see to many minifigs in the picture so assume they will add more since the castle had a lot, hove many do you see?

1. soldier in the tower
  2. soldier behind the cow
  3. forestman on the horse
  4. jester on stilts
  5. girl giving the cow a apple
  6. noble woman in front of the carrige and behind the table
  7. female in the middle of the two houses on the left
  8. man with backpack in front of the tree

The apiary is a fun detail :sweet: The yellow and red stall in the middle are maybe selling cheese :classic:

Is there a carriage to the right of the stall?

Do any of you have suggestions for other details?

It would be amazing if they made this into a 2in1. The variety of pieces feels like it's there and it would be a lovely way of creating more of a town to accompany the castle. If not, I'm sure the talented folks who post to Rebrickable will help.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any actual compatability to the LKC, like areas where this set could be attached to.  Not sure if they ever planned that far ahead with the LKC though.  It just seems like it'd be a nice throwback feature, like how the Guarded Inn, Blacksmith shop and smaller village-style sets clipped into the larger King's Castle.  I figure this will mostly be its own standalone thing though, much like the original Market Village.

Also something I heard mentioned, one of the trees in the back is using the new Fern piece seen in the Rivendell set.  It uses them upside down to make a spruce-like tree.

Edited by Triceron

4 hours ago, Triceron said:

I'm starting to wonder if there is any actual compatability to the LKC, like areas where this set could be attached to.  Not sure if they ever planned that far ahead with the LKC though.  It just seems like it'd be a nice throwback feature, like how the Guarded Inn, Blacksmith shop and smaller village-style sets clipped into the larger King's Castle.  I figure this will mostly be its own standalone thing though, much like the original Market Village.

Also something I heard mentioned, one of the trees in the back is using the new Fern piece seen in the Rivendell set.  It uses them upside down to make a spruce-like tree.

Yeah that spruce tree could have the new fern piece upside down but it's really hard to tell from the pic, to me the piece on the spruce tree seems to have sharper edges than the fern piece.  I really hope it has as many animals as in the pic if this set does actually come out.  I never got MMV but did pick up one MVR.  I am kicking myself for not getting MMV while it was at Toys R Us as they usually had a discounted price back then.  At least I have my 2 goats though.  It will be interesting to see how well this will sell if it does come out..  

9 hours ago, Triceron said:

There is a pin hole on on the side of the tower containing the treasury and toilet, which can be used to link it to old 80s Castle sets like some of the ones you mentioned. Newer sets like this one could potentially link up in the same way — though of course, this only works if you display the castle in an "open" layout, as in a closed layout that pin hole faces back towards the other wing of the castle.

As far as MOCs go, you can also create new segments that attach BETWEEN the two wings using the same clip-and-handle attachments used to link the wings together. But that doesn't seem like a likely option for this village/marketplace set, given that its layout is less curtain wall focused than the Lion Knights' Castle.

9 hours ago, Triceron said:

Oh, I hadn't noticed how that spruce was built, but that is awesome! Creative conifer tree builds are a lot less common in sets than deciduous tree builds I feel like, so depending how this looks it might be a very useful technique indeed!