BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

24 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

And in which other set exactly would this new door mould be? Is this particular set already out?

Not sure if that is the set it was made for, but the Dungeons and Dragons Set seems to have the same door.

43 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

And in which other set exactly would this new door mould be? Is this particular set already out?

It's allegedly in the D&D Ideas set.

3 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

Anyone who thinks LEGO are greedy and evil hasn’t dealt with Games Workshop.

Yeah they are super strict with their rules, designs.

Like recenly, table board top game Hero Quest returned via crowdfunding, formerly created by MB with Games Workshop, now Avalon Hill + Hasbro, and they had to change all the references to Chaos, Fimir and some others, as they were protected by Games Workshop.

Also in the video game world, recently , some new units are revealed for a DLC expansion of Total War Warhammer 3, and some wondered about something like the design of some creatures, and Games Workshop considers things in that total war universe, seperate from some of their other stuff, so they cannot use certain unit designs of certain "lore".

That said, the "break up" with games workshop for Hero Quest , means they can more freely develop expansions now, and new boardgame content , seperate to existing lore books, which means more choice in the table top world.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Yeah they are super strict with their rules, designs.

Like recenly, table board top game Hero Quest returned via crowdfunding, formerly created by MB with Games Workshop, now Avalon Hill + Hasbro, and they had to change all the references to Chaos, Fimir and some others, as they were protected by Games Workshop.

I agree they are greedy (like cartoonishly so) but this is a really bad example, in this case they are merely protecting their IP. But yeah, if you think buying a figure on bricklink for 20$ is expensive, GeeDubs makes it a personal pleasure to sell individual heroes for 45$+...

To get back on topic, 

22 hours ago, DonQuixote said:

But these sets are targeted towards nostalgia so I expect to get full nostalgia. And that means a Dragon Master and Wolfpack member with their iconic shields. 

By the way these are not my favourite factions. Black Falcons and Forest people are. 

And if you get sick by reading our expectations.... Well don't read them. 

These sets aren't only nostalgia bait, so expecting full nostalgia for them is silly.

And they aren't even your favourite faction! 

If you get sick of people disagreeing with your expectations... Well don't read them.

1 hour ago, Horation said:

I agree they are greedy (like cartoonishly so) but this is a really bad example, in this case they are merely protecting their IP. But yeah, if you think buying a figure on bricklink for 20$ is expensive, GeeDubs makes it a personal pleasure to sell individual heroes for 45$+...

To get back on topic, 

These sets aren't only nostalgia bait, so expecting full nostalgia for them is silly.

And they aren't even your favourite faction! 

If you get sick of people disagreeing with your expectations... Well don't read them.

I am not the one getting sick if other people don't agree. 

If people are satisfied with this set, I am happy for them :pir-huzzah2:

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

To be frank it had 0 new moulds, the door comes in another set the designer said so in a interview and the hat was off course made for the Snow White set and not MTS (SWC could also have gotten help from other sets with some of their moulds off course) :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Not sure if that is the set it was made for, but the Dungeons and Dragons Set seems to have the same door.

Interesting! In hindsight, the version of the farmhouse from the survey just used the pre-existing 1x4x6 door with window, which DOES add credence to the idea that the new 1x4x6 door with window might've been a part developed for another set/theme that 10332's designer decided to take advantage of. And I guess the lack of set-specific new molds in Medieval Town Square is not so surprising, since even the much larger 10305 only had one set-specific new mold of its own (the 1x4x3 half-arch).

I doubt the new dwarf beards will remain specific to the Snow White set either, since they don't have any braids, jewelry, or other ornamentation that mark them as IP-specific, but I would say there's a strong likelihood of them being designed for that set/theme specifically, since the dwarfs had a specific need for beards without mustaches (which would rule out simply using pre-existing beard molds).

Hi everyone! I liked the Town Square so much that I decided to buy the Castle too ^^ I hope we will see other compatible sets in the coming months/years

1 hour ago, Legocentrico said:

Hi everyone! I liked the Town Square so much that I decided to buy the Castle too ^^ I hope we will see other compatible sets in the coming months/years

If you like DnD there is a set coming in April and a CMF series coming in September.  

It isn´t really a question if you like D&D, I mean in the end you have their Logo on the Set, but you can aswell just use it as a normal fantasy or to include it into your medieval setting. Only thing you might have to do is to replace some of the heads if your other figs are yellow.

Just now, Black Falcon said:

It isn´t really a question if you like D&D, I mean in the end you have their Logo on the Set, but you can aswell just use it as a normal fantasy or to include it into your medieval setting. Only thing you might have to do is to replace some of the heads if your other figs are yellow.

I'm just mentioning to him that if he's into that kind of stuff also that set and the CMF might interest him.  Some people are just straight up into classic castle or Medieval stuff and aren't into fantasy stuff like LOTR, DnD, Wheel of Time, MTG, etc.  

Reviews are starting to pour in (Tiago, Solid Brix Studios). Generally the main complain (unsurprisingly) are the stickers.

Thanks for the link. Haven't read the whole article yet, but sofar only disagree with part of their sticker remark: I feel the window shutters could have warranted a printed tile. For the rest, no complains.

Reviews

Solid Brix:

Ashnflash:

Tiago Catarino:

RacingBrick:

Edited by arianrod9

I just got through The Brothers Brick review. It has comparison shots with the old MMV and the Blacksmith, if that would help anyone figure out the scale. The MMV is certainly older, but it still somehow feels only a little smaller than the MTS to me?

Seeing that sticker sheet is rough, though. I'm willing to admit that some things would have been stickers regardless, but if a piece can reasonable by reused in other sets, or is used multiple times in a set, I think there's an arguments for it to be printed. If the shutters, letters, and the tax collector book were printed, I could probably accept the rest, but not having those printed feels a little penny-pinching from Lego to me. 

Overall... I'd say it's a fine set. Probably an 8 out of 10, maybe a 7 - by no means a slam dunk, and I'm still going to wait for a GWP/sale to get it. But, it's at least still on my radar!

I don't hate stickers as much anymore, as long as they aren't giant transparent ones, especially when put on transparent pieces, but LEGO has gotten better at that, (especially 2024 , the Fire sets get a lot of prints, but I imagine those are large volume sales  for younger kids)

Friends theme still has a ton of stickers (sets with 20-30+ stickers even in 2024), but a lot of that is because they go for a certain style in that theme, lots of stickers for wall decorations, photographs, pillows, rugs, drawings, paintings etc unique to those sets.

This still has about 20 stickers but it's not going to be a reason to skip this set for me.

In the past I certainly have messed up stickers, applying them dry, but now using some soapy water, helps a lot with little corrections, and have not had them peel off either.

Of course a set with as many prints as possible is always prefered.

Edited by TeriXeri

My main issue with stickers is that they crumble over time. Happened to almost all my sons City set builds.

LEGO should imo insert an extra copy of each sticker sheet with each set, so that you have backups that will last a long time.

@TeriXeri, I mean sure Freinds, DreamZzz, City themes have stickers. But 18+ Icons sets are -ticker -free ones sometimes.  I just dont like stickers becuase he way I appply stickers to certain pieces, hey will look funny/weird to e. They bother me a lot. 

5 hours ago, AgentCooper said:

My main issue with stickers is that they crumble over time. Happened to almost all my sons City set builds.

LEGO should imo insert an extra copy of each sticker sheet with each set, so that you have backups that will last a long time.

Although I would love if Lego did this, I kind of doubt they will. I just wish they would at least make the sticker sheets available on pick a brick so you can buy extras. All the printed parts of this set will no doubt be available on pick a brick but if I wanted more of the dragon seal envelopes or the Ninjago missing goat sticker, I would have to go to Bricklink and place a separate order instead of just adding it when I buy the peasants. Lego is basically just turning down free money by not having sticker sheets available.

1 hour ago, HotdogBricks said:

Although I would love if Lego did this, I kind of doubt they will. I just wish they would at least make the sticker sheets available on pick a brick so you can buy extras. All the printed parts of this set will no doubt be available on pick a brick but if I wanted more of the dragon seal envelopes or the Ninjago missing goat sticker, I would have to go to Bricklink and place a separate order instead of just adding it when I buy the peasants. Lego is basically just turning down free money by not having sticker sheets available.

I've been waiting for the sails to show up on PAB. I realized the other day that they probably won't be added because they're not stored with the parts in the warehouse. They're probably stored in the same place as the manuals. Stickers probably fall under this category also. They're probably in completely different warehouses.

2 hours ago, HotdogBricks said:

I couldn’t agree more. it would be fantastic I LEGO made sticks available on PAB.

22 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Maybe, in the end, the participators of the survey are to blame. Maybe they were too niggard on the value of the prelim... :enough:

Would not surprise me, but in the end TLG makes the decision on what kind of budget and how much a set will cost.
I think they made the wrong decision with this set, but they are the professionals with all the facts so maybe this is how hey will earn most money from this set..
Hope we do not get a survey leak in the future because that has done more harm than good I would say :def_shrug: