But why to care about presence of diff? From part pack point of view - it is irrelevant as this is very common part. From "coolness" pov, yes, it would be a next function, but not very impactful one.

Known features:

• Working W16 engine (yes, W16, not "boring V8") connected to the rear axle via 12x12 angled transmission (no diff, only a solid "locked" axle)*
  • Steering via HOG (steering wheel is not connected to them)*
  • Openable doors with tilted hinges*
  • Possibly openable front trunk
  • Possibly openable rear hood halves over the engine

* Similar to 42123 Mclaren Senna

Yes, it really has no differential, as this part is too bulky for a given size and Rear-engined sets simply have no space for it. It was available only in front-engined Corvette and "a-la Camaro", where the rear compartment is relatively empty to fit it.

1 hour ago, keymaker said:

But why to care about presence of diff? From part pack point of view - it is irrelevant as this is very common part.

Depends. The Daytona differential would be nice to have in a cheaper set.

9 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Sure, but it's been designed for heavy-duty usage in big models. Would be the same as using the wheel hubs in such a little car ;-)

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Sure, but it's been designed for heavy-duty usage in big models. Would be the same as using the wheel hubs in such a little car ;-)

Same for the “red” version but that was also used in the Batmobile :wink: 

43 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Ah ok, you mean THIS diff. It would be so great if possible, but I think it is not. Best you can count on is the normal, standard old DBG one, so nothing special.

Since we are posting links now, here's the pictorial review too from PB. The working W16 engine is nice, but the 48 stickers and lack of differential is again very disappointing. Why can't TLG just make a smaller differential if they continue this line at this scale?
https://www.promobricks.de/lego-technic-42151-bugatti-bolide-review/151815/

Edited by R0Sch

Curiously the new small panels are numbered 7 and 8 while the old ones are 21 and 22.... Would you say they were designed some years ago? Or just filling the gaps?

11 minutes ago, vascolp said:

Curiously the new small panels are numbered 7 and 8 while the old ones are 21 and 22.... Would you say they were designed some years ago? Or just filling the gaps?

It's pretty dumb to reuse #7 and #8 for the new small panels, since 32534 and 32535 already exist and use those numbers. Why not simply use the available # 9+10 or #11+12?

Edited by R0Sch

Now that you mention that... 21 and 22 seem to be a reuse of 44351 and 44352...
They must have their reasons!

15 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

It's pretty dumb to reuse #7 and #8 for the new small panels, since 32534 and 32535 already exist and use those numbers. Why not simply use the available # 9+10 or #11+12?

Those panels aren't used anymore for 14 years. Same for a lot of other panels of this style. What seems dumber to me is that the new "#3" shaped panel seems to have a number and it looks like a 6. Could just be an instruction error.

The numbering system means nothing and you really shouldn't think too hard about it. Plenty of modern panels don't even have numbers even though they definitely could, such as 80278 and 80274, and 80271 and 80272.

Looking at this picture, seems, that it will be harder to implement diff here, compared to 42123

LEGO-Technic-42151-Bugatti-Bolide-15.jpg

I especially I "don't like" that angled beam (or something) next to black gear. I suppose, it is holding cylynder block.

Working steering wheel could be pretty similar like on 42123 McLaren

800x527.JPG

There is space for it, it seems

LEGO-Technic-42151-Bugatti-Bolide-16.jpg

Why promobricks review is out since the set has not been officially revealed yet? Should we expect also Sariel's and Racingbricks' reviews then?

1 hour ago, mpj said:

Why promobricks review is out since the set has not been officially revealed yet? Should we expect also Sariel's and Racingbricks' reviews then?

Luca (who made the review) said he didn't receive the set officially from TLC but got it from a retailer. I really hope PromoBricks don't get in trouble for "breaking the Lego law"...

Some additional "photos". I don't have this set at hand (and still wanted to...) but managed to completely assemble it.

1. Bag #1 - the frame, engine, seats, and roof. The frame is similar to Senna's but is flat now and wider to fit the bigger W16 engine that is wider and placed lower than Senna's inclined V8.
800x450.png

2. Bag #2 - the axles. The steering is exactly the same as in Senna but this time LBG frictionless pins were replaced with Black friction (and the steering rack lost some flexibility) one the steering angle is smaller now.
The rear axle now acts as a solid axle, when both rear wheels are driven, not the right one only. This setup is better in terms of authenticity but additionally decreased the steering possibility.
800x450.png

3. Bag #3 - the body appears! Now a lot of new panels come to shape all these aerodynamic elements and slick forms. The axle sockets (instead of pinholes) now allow them to be positioned and secured with only a single axle!
This step takes a ton of black 2L axles (the model has about 25 such pieces!) and 2L thin liftarms (28 in total!).
800x450.png

4. Bag #4 - the finished model. The doors and "front trunk" appear, together with an amazingly shaped rear "wing" structure. The new angeled panels allow building curved structures now even on a such small scale.
800x450.png

Now, let me compare it with its "brother":

640x360.png640x360.png

640x360.png640x360.png

Senna is a bit longer (1-1.5 studs), taller (1 stud), and has lower ground clearance (ride height) due to a lower front splitter and bent frame.
Bolide has a more conventional flat frame and no 1.5-offset parts underside. It is lower and roundish and has a better "carper compatibility" to be rolled over some causal surfaces, not only flat desktops.

640x360.png640x360.png

640x360.png640x360.png

Inside, they are the same if not equal. The only differences are:

• the engine in Bolide is bigger a bit and sits lower
  • front wheels track width was increased in Bolide and they have a bigger offset from the pivot point. Bad for steering...
  • and the steering now uses friction pins for the rack that limits its movement greater than frictionless pins in Senna.

So, as a recap, it is a Senna's successor with worse steering/maneuverability... But great-looking one!

1 hour ago, mpj said:

I presume PB has no relationship with TLG, so they're not bound to embargo dates and are at liberty to discuss rumors and leaks. Consequently, PB won't get sent any free sets for review either, like Sariel and Racingbrick do.

Edited by astyanax
Grammar

Funny that they use so many black 2L axles here, and in a scant few other Technic sets with heavy focus on aesthetics, while sets from other themes get plenty of them even with no aesthetic reason. I kinda hope that that this is a sign of TLG listening to all the complaints about brightly coloured pins etc. in wrong places, but I'm not holding my breath...

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

I kinda hope that that this is a sign of TLG listening to all the complaints about brightly coloured pins etc. in wrong places, but I'm not holding my breath...

There's a little bit of evidence. For example, 42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 has 85x85p.jpg?1658325770.89579 all in red except ONE 85x85p.jpg?1658325741.8317852 in dark gray. That one is visible under the windshield where all is black. I bet it would've been cheaper not to have 1 pin in a different color -- apparently esthetics won.

8 minutes ago, astyanax said:

There's a little bit of evidence. For example, 42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3 has 85x85p.jpg?1658325770.89579 all in red except ONE 85x85p.jpg?1658325741.8317852 in dark gray. That one is visible under the windshield where all is black. I bet it would've been cheaper not to have 1 pin in a different color -- apparently esthetics won.

That's nice of them. The DBG 3L axle-pin is of course a part that is in production and widely used, same cannot be said for example about black 2L axle-pins...

2 hours ago, astyanax said:

I presume PB has no relationship with TLG, so they're not bound to embargo dates and are at liberty to discuss rumors and leaks. Consequently, PB won't get sent any free sets for review either, like Sariel and Racingbrick do.

Promobricks was recognized some time ago, you can look up on their website how and why that ended.  

The ability to source a set more than a month before its official release seems to be a pretty grey area for me, but it's really up to TLG to figure out how that was possible. I'm sure people are happy to see the details of the sets as soon as possible, we are definitely not happy because our reviews will be old news once the embargo is over. I'm sure it was mentioned a dozen times, but getting a "free set" is an almost irrelevant perk for being recognized, I would happily pay for those sets if required, just like I pay for a lot of other sets I present on the channel. Being able to do a review and publish it before the release is what matters, but apparently retailers and non-recognized media are allowed to win more an more in this game as well.

@kbalage Thanks for chiming in with background facts! I was merely reasoning on common-sense presumptions. :pir-blush:

Okay so more sets keep 'falling off the truck' and ending up in non-recognized hands. It could be that it's indeed harder and harder to contain such 'incidents'. But what I don't understand is why the first leaked photos of a box are often so grainy or blurry... Everyone has a 20MP camera with autofocus and autostabilization in his pocket nowadays right? Were they actively being chased by armed guards when photographing the box? I'm not one likely to put on a tinfoil hat, but it almost seems like TLG themselves might have a hand in 'leaking' just try create excitement and fuel hype...

Okay I'll stop ranting now :drunk:

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Promobricks was recognized some time ago, you can look up on their website how and why that ended.  

The ability to source a set more than a month before its official release seems to be a pretty grey area for me, but it's really up to TLG to figure out how that was possible. I'm sure people are happy to see the details of the sets as soon as possible, we are definitely not happy because our reviews will be old news once the embargo is over. I'm sure it was mentioned a dozen times, but getting a "free set" is an almost irrelevant perk for being recognized, I would happily pay for those sets if required, just like I pay for a lot of other sets I present on the channel. Being able to do a review and publish it before the release is what matters, but apparently retailers and non-recognized media are allowed to win more an more in this game as well.

I'm still going to watch your reviews on the sets that interest me, because I value your opinion and I've found that I often agree with you on the sets' pros and cons.

I imagine that making a proper, high quality review like yours is also far more work than could be justified simply by getting a free set...

53 minutes ago, astyanax said:

@kbalage Thanks for chiming in with background facts! I was merely reasoning on common-sense presumptions. :pir-blush:

Okay so more sets keep 'falling off the truck' and ending up in non-recognized hands. It could be that it's indeed harder and harder to contain such 'incidents'. But what I don't understand is why the first leaked photos of a box are often so grainy or blurry... Everyone has a 20MP camera with autofocus and autostabilization in his pocket nowadays right? Were they actively being chased by armed guards when photographing the box? I'm not one likely to put on a tinfoil hat, but it almost seems like TLG themselves might have a hand in 'leaking' just try create excitement and fuel hype...

Okay I'll stop ranting now :drunk:

The photos are taken by amateurs who don't have proper skill to take a good photo. Cameras on phones are nice enough today, but you still have to know how to use it... And maybe sometimes they really are doing it in an illegal manner, going into where they shouldn't and taking photos in a hurry.