HoMa

12 Volt River Port

My entry for Brick Train Awards 2022 in the "Best Group or Individual Display" category.

An inland river port with container and bulkload cranes, a chemical plant and old and new buildings in the classic style of the "Grey Era". The small locomotives are driven by mini motors and a Bluetooth hub from circuitcubes.com. The stationary decoupling unit and the mini turntable are powered by old 12 Volt Technic motors which are hidden underneath the platform.

The video covers all the action. But also enjoy the still images …

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Container crane

The large inland vessel is loaded. The container crane lifts the containers from the rail directly onto the ship in the water.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Overview

Another cargo ship is looking for a place at the quay to unload its cargo.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Container vessel

The journey of the classic 4x8 containers now continues on the water.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Cargo ship

The dredging crane gradually unloads the cargo ship. A small road-rail vehicle has already moved the silo wagon from #7838 into position.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Köf shunter

A small Köf shunting locomotive shunts two bulk freight wagons #4536 in brown to their destination. The Köf is driven by a Circuitcubes motor, a second mini motor from Circuitcubes controls the magnetic coupling. This creates a mobile uncoupling unit similar to the one in my Vollert Robot DER 100, only in the style of the 80s.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Chemical plant and tank wagon

The orange-green tank wagon is refueled. For this purpose, the supply line is swung over the filler neck. The buildings, tanks and overpasses of the chemical plant are colorlessly sober but functional.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Conveyor belt

The conveyor belt is used to load bulk material directly from the dump truck into the red freight car from #7730.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Old harbour

Old half-timbered houses still stand in the old part of the harbor. The harbor master still has his workplace in the narrow tower.

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Water Police

The water police ensures regulated traffic in the narrow harbor area.

I hope you enjoy this MOC and the old building style from the 1980s?!

Holger

eeeeh ooooh ehm gn gn...still looking at the photos and video - I cannot speak a word! *huh*

So many styles, old , very old and new parts together, 12v...a lot of details and minifigs!!! Boats that seem old style, but are made in bricks instead of using predefined hulls. Fantastic. :pir-love:

Great entry!!! Good luck for the contest!:excited:

Ciao!

Davide

That's incredible Holger, really great.

Love the detail of the spinning 2x2 plate with the turntable, looking like the guy is turning it by hand.

Fantastic work, Holger. A lot going on in a fairly modest space, but then port areas are often exactly like that.

Best of luck in the category.

Wow! You might have successfully overshadowed 7777 with this work.

22 hours ago, HoMa said:

LEGO 12 Volt River Port – Container crane

I'd be a little cautious about all the railfans though, nothing but trouble

2 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Love this so much!

Do i spot some circuit cubes inside the Köf?

How's the "Unimog" done? Looks like an official set?!

@Polarlicht you are right. The Köf uses 2 Circuitcubes mini motors for drive and decoupling. Same concept like my Vollert Robot which I have built for last year's Octrainber contest.

The Unimog is a modified #4546 maintenance two way vehicle. One Circuitcubes motor for the drive and the blue hub is covered by the grey box. The front magnet is hidden behind a 1x2 2x2 bracket to minimize the magnetic power. So the decoupling works when the wagon is turned on the rotating cross section. But the magnet is just strong enough to pull a single wagon.

It's really fun using those tiny Circuitcubes motors and add remote controlled actions to tiny vehicles :-)

Totally amazing! :pir-love::pir-love:

The 12 volt style dominates, but that hasn't stopped a delightful diorama full of features.

I like the cement plant but most of all I like the joint with the turntable and the small automated locomotives! :wub:

Top notch work! :thumbup:

Finally ... :pir-love:

(Holger allowed me to see a "preview" of this breathtaking layout, when I was thinking about the physics of LEGO train decoupling :pir_laugh2:)

I was so waiting for this - and since then wanting to shout out: "FOLKS, THIS WILL BE INGENIOUS!!!"

OK, calming down ...

This is really, really nice, Holger. Wonderful. True "LEGO". The idea. The whole world of what you can (could ...) accomplish. 

I believe, folks over at TLG just plainly blush. You know the - yeah back then, but now we need to ... compromise ... make money ... sue ... and more money folks.

This simply showcases "LEGO" as it is (was) meant to be.

Fantastic. And may I add: As expected - from you. Good to be always pointed to, what LEGO is (was) about - and what can (could) be accomplished with it.

Tipping hat - and a slight bow, Sir.

Thank you very much, Holger!

All the best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

This makes me think of a river port along the Rhein. The old building retains the feel, while the smaller ships with low cargo loadings are perfect for a trip up or down river under the bridges. You included a lot of details in the port facilities and it really has a working feel. Great job.