MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Old Master said:
  • Her Lekku is the same material as the past two versions

Rubber minifig parts (especially printed) are always an L. I had though they were weaning themselves off of this habit, as for example the recent new hairstyles in minidoll themes have been proper ABS rather than Rubber. :sad:

T-6 minifigures are beautiful (Sabine really could have used arm printing given how colourful her armour pieces are, but it’s no dealbreaker). However, I do lament how some really good Star Wars ships get downsized beyond relief these days - it’s unacceptable that you can’t even fit two minifigures in this thing.

Glad Micro Galaxy Squadron will be releasing their own T-6 next year. 

Gunship looks solid, definitely a downgrade from the previous one but I like it enough. The lack of minifigures is ridiculous though.

Edited by Kaijumeister

Also today, two new Brickheadz leaks both set for a May 2024 release:

• 40675 - $55 (perhaps a character spread from Ahsoka?)
  • 40676 - no further information

...as well as the set number for the May 4 GWP, 40686

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

T-6 minifigures are beautiful (Sabine really could have used arm printing given how colourful her armour pieces are, but it’s no dealbreaker)

Sabine figure suffers in the same way the early Din Djarin figure did, no arm prints and just overwhelmingly brown. Granted her under armor is all brown much like Din, the arm print would've helped add a much needed splash of extra color.

I definitely still love the T6 and the LAAT but they certainly have their issues. It honestly doesn't bother me thst much that the T6 can't hold more than 1 figure. It's certainly not ideal but I'm more annoyed by only one side of the wing being detailed and the underside left completely plain. What is there does look very good and very detailed and the minifigs absolutely carry this set. Also disappointed but certainly not surprised that there's no face for Marrok. If his face does get revealed in the show, it should be pretty easy to find one for him. I honestly wish Huyang was done like the medical droids using droid arms and legs with a specialized torso/head mold but the figure looks good for what it is.

Visually the LAAT looks phenomenal with the only cosmetic issues I have are the nose section looks messy and the bubble turrets on the wings being stud shooters looks really bad but it'll be super easy to replace those with either clear or gray dome pieces. The size of the ship is definitely more accurate than any past versions but for the price, it badly needed more figures or some small side builds, like some crates of gear to go under the cockpit in that empty storage space or a BARC to slide into the back service ramp. Regardless, this thing needed at least 1 or 2 more Shock Troopers. I can forgive the lack of pilots since canonicaly regular Shock Troopers have piloted the LAAT but comparing this to the AT-TE it's absurd how stingey they are being with the figures on this.

19 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

When will the 2024 thread get created? 

I'm pivoting a little this time around compared to previous years. Makes more sense to have SW set discussion able to happen in one place rather than have to jump back and forth depending on what year you're talking about. And let's be honest, you all would talk about 2024 sets here and 2023 sets there anyway. It's more about where the active conversation is happening. 

So I'll make the 2024 discussion thread as 2023 news starts to die down. But I'll make the 2024 News thread soon.

37 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

So I'll make the 2024 discussion thread as 2023 news starts to die down. But I'll make the 2024 News thread soon.

Fair, thanks for clarifying! 

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Also disappointed but certainly not surprised that there's no face for Marrok. If his face does get revealed in the show, it should be pretty easy to find one for him.

If he‘s human, that is. Could be an alien species we don‘t have minifigs of yet :shrug_oh_well: And of course there‘s always the chance he dies before ever unmasking, something he‘d have in common with Eighth Brother (unless they‘re one and the same as some believe, but I don‘t)

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If he‘s human, that is. Could be an alien species we don‘t have minifigs of yet :shrug_oh_well: And of course there‘s always the chance he dies before ever unmasking, something he‘d have in common with Eighth Brother (unless they‘re one and the same as some believe, but I don‘t)

I mean I definitely don’t think he’s the Eighth Brother, unless he grew a bunch of extra fingers since Rebels. 

1 minute ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I mean I definitely don’t think he’s the Eighth Brother, unless he grew a bunch of extra fingers since Rebels. 

That‘s exactly one of the main reasons I’m not buying it. Eighth Brother was a Terrelian Jango Jumper whereas Marrok looks a lot more like a human. The diffences are too noticable to be chalked up to the character‘s supposed translation into live-action :classic:

Yeah seen the review of the T-6, it's a huge shame how underwhelming it is. It does, however, look pretty cool as a model as long as you pose it on one side (still unbelievable to me they didn't bother designing the back of it...like it's expensive guys wtf). The gunship imo looks great, might be the wild card fave for me as of right now. Hoping to see Ghost reviews soon.

11 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I honestly wish Huyang was done like the medical droids using droid arms and legs with a specialized torso/head mold but the figure looks good for what it is.

I just realized this also would only have required one new mold, and given that you'd only have to do printing on one part (and no back printing), this would have been cheaper than making him a fig with a specialized head mold, which is a little annoying as I too would have preferred it and maybe the rest of the budget could have gone into sabine's arms.

28 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I just realized this also would only have required one new mold, and given that you'd only have to do printing on one part (and no back printing), this would have been cheaper than making him a fig with a specialized head mold, which is a little annoying as I too would have preferred it and maybe the rest of the budget could have gone into sabine's arms.

Or maybe the other side of the ship... 

3 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Or maybe the other side of the ship...

Still unreal they didn't at least use the same red bricks or what not for that side of the ship.....

I’m not too bothered by the underside of the T-6. I would probably display it from the one side anyway. The figs are great. My one complaint is how small it seems compared to the previous one. I think that’s a bigger issue than the underside. Everything seems so scaled down nowadays. You get so much less for the price. I tend to side more with Jang’s approach to value. How much mass are you getting for the price rather than going by piece count

Spoiler

With the rumor set Grogu's Scape, do you think lego will release flashback scenes from the Ahsoka show?

On 8/10/2023 at 9:20 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

The kamas is an issue to me, as the prints look so much worse and it's an example of something we had that was taken away, but I still don't get the helmet holes gripe, much less as it being worse than the lack of a kama. The holes are higher up to allow for the visors and kamas to fit on p2 troopers, and the customization is more than worth the little holes IMO. 

As opposed to the kamas being printed, which not only looks worse but discourages customization...

Unlike the other licensed themes, it's anyone's guess beyond "latter half of 2023"

greebling on the flat grey panels? You've chosen a side of heretics. 

I think the only reason the helmet holes are a grip is cause they used to be in the right place on the older P1 clones and worked just as well as they do now higher and IMO they looked better cause that's where they are in the universe. Also, I wouldn't mind if regular clones just had no holes altogether like the original 501st BP, and the new mold was only used for Rex, Cody, Fox etc. I think that would fix the look cause with a visor it looks great but without the holes is an eye sore. 

I think the T-6 Shuttle is just missing an expanded cockpit and then it becomes a buy for me. I really like the fig selection and I feel like at a cheaper price point its a day one buy but right now I'm waiting for a 30% Amazon discount. 

The Gunship looks great but the small downsize from the 2013 model plus the figs selection make it a wait-and-see instead of a day one for me. The Fox in particular leaves me wondering why Lego seems to be regressing in terms of quality whilst increasing the prices on us. 

The E-wing & Shin fighter is definitely gonna be a day one for me just cause I really loved the interceptor/mando fighter combo pack and this one looks pretty great too. I really like the E-wing design and I hope its inclusion means we'll get more rebel ships that aren't X/Y-wing

While I haven't seen a review yet the Ghost looks like a day one buy as well simply because I've wanted one for so long and while I can't get the original this new one looks pretty darn good. Just waiting on a Zeb fig now. 

2 hours ago, starlego98 said:

Reveal hidden contents

With the rumor set Grogu's Scape, do you think lego will release flashback scenes from the Ahsoka show?

I appreciate you putting this in a spoiler, but I don't think you need to do that. It'd be more about the specific contents of the scenes using that narrative device, not simply that the show uses such a device.

That said, no. Reason being:

Spoiler

From what we've heard, it's mainly flashing back to past events with Ahsoka present in them. So for instance the mustafar one would just be a mustafar duel set with an Ahsoka minifig instead of Kenobi, which I don't see happening.

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think the only reason the helmet holes are a grip is cause they used to be in the right place on the older P1 clones and worked just as well as they do now higher and IMO they looked better cause that's where they are in the universe. Also, I wouldn't mind if regular clones just had no holes altogether like the original 501st BP, and the new mold was only used for Rex, Cody, Fox etc. I think that would fix the look cause with a visor it looks great but without the holes is an eye sore. 

That's fair, though I will say the reason it works for the P1s and not for the P2s is of where the holes are on the helmets in-universe, or at least on the previous lego helmets. If you look at a non-hole and hole p2 helmet side by side, it becomes pretty clear that a visor where the holes are on the non-hole helmet would be very noticeably too low.

Though I will say, you've definately changed my mind from "the hole helmets are objectively better" to more of a personal preference thing. I like the customizability of having all the helmets have holes, but I can totally get why you'd want everyone who doesn't need a visor or antenna to not have them.

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's fair, though I will say the reason it works for the P1s and not for the P2s is of where the holes are on the helmets in-universe, or at least on the previous lego helmets. If you look at a non-hole and hole p2 helmet side by side, it becomes pretty clear that a visor where the holes are on the non-hole helmet would be very noticeably too low.

Though I will say, you've definately changed my mind from "the hole helmets are objectively better" to more of a personal preference thing. I like the customizability of having all the helmets have holes, but I can totally get why you'd want everyone who doesn't need a visor or antenna to not have them.

Honestly helmet holes are actually a symptom of the real problem in my opinion. It's not that lego is too dumb or lazy to put the holes in the right place, it's that lego is too lazy or cheap to make a new visor for P2 clones.

If they had made a new visor with a little curve which leads down into the actual position of the ear bulb (i made that term up) and then had the new visor piece still sit above the eyeline but start below it at the ears, then we'd have much better looking clones WITH the customisability. It wouldn't look perfect because the actual visors kinda just rest in the grooves of the P2 helmet. The new visor would look slightly innaccurate but it'd be better for the other 99% of clones that don't need visors. The holes being in the actual ear hole would be better for the range finder and flashlight pieces too. The macrobinocular would need to be changed too but that was made after the helmet holes anyway so we could assume lego would have done a similar thing to the macrobinoc as the visor.

But alas, Lego is very attached to their 14 year old visor design and decided to compromise quality to save literally like 2 minute of effort. And for what it's worth, the old visor piece is genuinely horrendous. It's too long in one dimension, and it's too short in another dimension. It's supposed to curve down from it's heighest point and then the side pieces are supposed to rest on the P2's chubby cheeks.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

definately

Please, mate, I can't take it anymore! :cry3: There has to be something you can do to get autocorrect working again!

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I appreciate you putting this in a spoiler, but I don't think you need to do that. It'd be more about the specific contents of the scenes using that narrative device, not simply that the show uses such a device.

That said, no. Reason being:

Reveal hidden contents

From what we've heard, it's mainly flashing back to past events with Ahsoka present in them. So for instance the mustafar one would just be a mustafar duel set with an Ahsoka minifig instead of Kenobi, which I don't see happening.

I did because I know people that they do not want to know nothing until the show releases I do not want to spoil nothing. 

Spoiler

Today a new spot has been released where you can hear Anakin from the Clone Wars. Maybe due to the populatiry of the show we can expect some sets based on Clone Wars where Anakin and Ahsoka are included, but who knows.

3 hours ago, starlego98 said:

I did because I know people that they do not want to know nothing until the show releases I do not want to spoil nothing. 

Reveal hidden contents

Today a new spot has been released where you can hear Anakin from the Clone Wars. Maybe due to the populatiry of the show we can expect some sets based on Clone Wars where Anakin and Ahsoka are included, but who knows.

There have been a lot of rumours. Felt like this was always inevitable with the series. Only thing I wonder is if we will get Temuera Morrison as a cameo again

15 minutes ago, Llewop said:

There have been a lot of rumours. Felt like this was always inevitable with the series. Only thing I wonder is if we will get Temuera Morrison as a cameo again

Spoiler

It's been leaked that Temuera will appear as Rex

2 hours ago, Old Master said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's been leaked that Temuera will appear as Rex

Well that’s great news. The only person I’ve wanted in this series (seeing as it is looking more like a rebels S5) is Fenn Rau that’s because I’m a Kevin Mckidd fan. Was hoping he’d appear in the Mandolorian 

17 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Honestly helmet holes are actually a symptom of the real problem in my opinion. It's not that lego is too dumb or lazy to put the holes in the right place, it's that lego is too lazy or cheap to make a new visor for P2 clones.

If they had made a new visor with a little curve which leads down into the actual position of the ear bulb (i made that term up) and then had the new visor piece still sit above the eyeline but start below it at the ears, then we'd have much better looking clones WITH the customisability. It wouldn't look perfect because the actual visors kinda just rest in the grooves of the P2 helmet. The new visor would look slightly innaccurate but it'd be better for the other 99% of clones that don't need visors. The holes being in the actual ear hole would be better for the range finder and flashlight pieces too. The macrobinocular would need to be changed too but that was made after the helmet holes anyway so we could assume lego would have done a similar thing to the macrobinoc as the visor.

But alas, Lego is very attached to their 14 year old visor design and decided to compromise quality to save literally like 2 minute of effort. And for what it's worth, the old visor piece is genuinely horrendous. It's too long in one dimension, and it's too short in another dimension. It's supposed to curve down from it's heighest point and then the side pieces are supposed to rest on the P2's chubby cheeks.

LEGO isn't too lazy to make a new mould. Star Wars gets new moulds all the time. 

The fact is, LEGO wants to be consistent. Whether you like it or not, that's the ultimate goal. If they remake the visor, now it won't work on Mandalorian helmets, because it would sit too low, or not sit properly. As it is, LEGO has made a set of antennae and visors/macros that work for every helmet that has holes. Does it look 100% perfect on them all? No. But for a 6 year old who wants to mix and match their Boba Fett mech accessories and AT-TE items, they can, even if accuracy is slightly compromised for the sake of playability... It happens all the time in almost all sets to some degree or another, just for the reason that they are made for 6+ year olds to enjoy and not just adults. 

Going back to the topic of Kamas, I presume it's for the same reason at this point. While you can argue that a kid can take them off to sit down figs, if LEGO did kamas for 8 years and is now not anymore, there must be a reason, and I'm not inclined to definitively say it's just laziness. LEGO has years of data leading them to retire kamas, and I don't think we have a full picture as to why they removed them. And the couple sets in other themes that have them don't have the figs in a position where they are sitting down, which is likely why they get the cloth parts. 

As much as I would love Rex to have one, if anything, he's consistent with the other clones. If he got one and they didn't, people would complain just as much as they do now, but instead saying that "a set had one, so all of them need to" instead of no sets having them and all sets needing to... 

75387 Boarding the Tantive IV: 
 - 8+ (Not a diorama, said to be similar to the Dark Trooper Attack playset) 
 - 502 Pieces 
 - Minifigs currently unknown, but likely Vader, 2x Stormies, 2x Rebels 
 - $54.99 
 - March 1st release 

No Captain Antilles (if true) is a major L, since this is one of the only sets that could realistically include him; whether I pick this set up or not is going to be determined by whether we get a proper ANH Vader. 🫤