MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

@wesker: There‘s a moulded ridge above the visor area on the range trooper helmet though, so there‘s no way to print on top of that. In general, there‘s no flat area on any of the available helmet pieces to print the

golden mask

on.

It has to be a brand-new piece in my opinion :laugh:

@Agent Kallus: Sure, they‘re not uniform, but a BP with at least two different prints for each body part would be fantastic as you could swap pieces between them to create more unique variants :sweet:

There's so much minifigure potential in that episode alone!

Spoiler

A dual molded helmet with golden mask for Captain Enoch would be fantastic. The troopers should allow for a lot of variation and customization, so the more different prints the better. The nightsister trio and Thrawn of course! I'd also be interested in the sumurai bandits.

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Reveal hidden contents

A dual molded helmet with golden mask for Captain Enoch would be fantastic. The troopers should allow for a lot of variation and customization, so the more different prints the better. The nightsister trio and Thrawn of course! I'd also be interested in the sumurai bandits.

A variety of prints would be nice, but they could even go a step further and mould

the helmets with marbled plastic
so each one is unique :laugh:

Can‘t wait to see how they tackle this! :excited: It just sucks we have to wait until August at the earliest

Has the Venator GWP already been mentioned? Its a black box with a republican credit metal replica and two fabric patches showing Yularen and Rex. Promobricks has the picture.

Picked up latest Lego Star Wars Magazine with the C-3PO and Gonk Droid on issue.  Next months will be a Tie Advanced build.

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Has the Venator GWP already been mentioned? Its a black box with a republican credit metal replica and two fabric patches showing Yularen and Rex. Promobricks has the picture.

These GWPs have really been hit and miss for SW lately IMO and more often miss than hit. 

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A variety of prints would be nice, but they could even go a step further and mould

Hide contents

Can‘t wait to see how they tackle this! :excited: It just sucks we have to wait until August at the earliest

Do we know how costly it is for lego to marble plastic? I think they did marbled transparency in some ninjago waves, it's not something I have seen often.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Reveal hidden contents

That would be perfect. Marbled plastic's ability to make all the pieces slightly unique made the old marbled bionicle masks really special, and also was a cool thing for say, the marbled dark green/pearl gray 4x2x6 rock pieces, making it look like the moss was actually growing into the rock.

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Hide contents

I generally agree, but I don't understand why people seem to want all three of the very similar looking ones. It's not like they're army-buildable (beyond 3 so far) and I feel like having all 3 in a set would be a waste of two slots.

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

These GWPs have really been hit and miss for SW lately IMO and more often miss than hit. 

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of non-lego GWPS. Some of them, like the beskar ingot or death star plans, have been cool in theory, even if in practice... don't make it a keychain, just do a replica. Same with the death star plans being a coin. For this one, the credit chip is kind of cool, but the patches just seem completely worthless. Those are very much just for kids, and a $650 lego set is not something 99.99% of kids are gonna get their hands on. 

Ideally, they would have done a couple starfighters or small ships in-scale with the venator, with clear pieces to attach them, but if we have to do non-lego... just do Yularan's rank plaque.

28 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of non-lego GWPS. Some of them, like the beskar ingot or death star plans, have been cool in theory, even if in practice... don't make it a keychain, just do a replica. Same with the death star plans being a coin. For this one, the credit chip is kind of cool, but the patches just seem completely worthless. Those are very much just for kids, and a $650 lego set is not something 99.99% of kids are gonna get their hands on. 

Ideally, they would have done a couple starfighters or small ships in-scale with the venator, with clear pieces to attach them, but if we have to do non-lego... just do Yularan's rank plaque.

I do like your ideas very much. I just like LEGO things, specifically figures if I can get them. If I want other collectibles, there are other companies for those sorts of items. 

54 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

I do like your ideas very much. I just like LEGO things, specifically figures if I can get them. If I want other collectibles, there are other companies for those sorts of items. 

Agreed look at how many great gigs we may never have gotten were it not for them being promos. I can get a patch or keychain anywhere.

56 minutes ago, Archer said:

Agreed look at how many great gigs we may never have gotten were it not for them being promos. I can get a patch or keychain anywhere.

I think we're circling the reason that they DO do keychains and patches- they're cheaper to produce than sets.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Love how they did lightsaber GWPs twice and then just dropped it forever 

I bet they do stuff like that to gauge interest and demand. Seems like a harmless way to experiment, they might have plans to sell them at some point, similar to the helmet sets.

Edited by Alex_South

2 hours ago, Alex_South said:

I bet they do stuff like that to gauge interest and demand. Seems like a harmless way to experiment, they might have plans to sell them at some point, similar to the helmet sets.

Putting a new product behind another set’s $650 paywall is a horrible way to gauge interest in the product that is secondary to the main one you’re buying. 

Fair nuff, it was probably just something they did for fun then, as you said they have no way to gauge interest in it, being a gwp and all, so they bounce around to different concepts.

I'll admit I am a bit disappointed with the Venator's GWP, but at least its better than the Razor Crest's. The republic credit is at least a fun idea, but like the entire Lego community I'd prefer Lego. I'm strongly against putting desirable figures in a time / stock limited, $650 paywall, ideally they'd continue the lightsaber thing, maybe Ahsoka's? Oh well, its not a make or break for me :shrug_confused:

Meme in spoiler

Spoiler

Star Wars Culture added a new photo. - Star Wars Culture

I got into LEGO VIP and buying high-priced sets well after they stopped doing minifigs for the GWPs. Poodoo! I'd much prefer that over the Venator's forthcoming GWP.

I also recall LEGO recently doing some sort of VIPs survey asking what we'd like for GWPs for Star Wars. I said minifigs, but maybe a bunch of people actually like they stuff they've been churning out lately. I don't know that the metal credit and patches will push me to buy the Venator early, but I do have the beskar GWP, as well as the Death Star coin, and Han Solo keychain, and the credit might look good with all of those. 

Okay so I haven’t been here in so long so hello hope everyone is well. Just wanted to comment on the new reveals that have happened in the last few months.

75367 - I adore the outer build for the Venator but no interior and just 2 figures? You’re competing with several other extremely large Lego sets many retired and many still on shelves, and quite frankly losing. There are so many other designs to save for and get excited about. Yes the exterior is gorgeous and its an amazing display model but when competing for space and money this just doesn’t excite me the way other USC or D2C sets have.

75357 - Amazing set I adore the interior space, the updated Phantom, the new design for the Ghost, the value and the price range. This set is almost perfect I just wish it had Zebb. Right now the older Ghost and Phantom still have aftermarket value for their inclusion of Blind Kanan, Thrawn and Zebb. I don’t want to fork over half a thousand dollars to get those characters sealed new so hopefully at the very least Zebb gets remade lol maybe I’m fine getting him in a new set and ordering the old Phantom for Thrawn haha. But yeah besides missing Kanan (mind you I haven’t watched Ahsoka so not even sure if he would be a fitting inclusion) this set is perfect

75362 - I was initially so excited to see a new T6 Shuttle with a Togruta pilot! But ultimately I got less excited about it and wondered why? I realized that my initial excitement for the T6 shuttle was mostly in its debut of Shaak Ti. Not trying to distract too much on my commentary of this set but I will say, re-releasing the T6 is nice and all but a new Shaak Ti is really what I want to see and I’d pay a pretty dollar to get one in my collection. Without those bug eyes of course lol. Anyways once you get past the fact that the Togruta pilot is a character you probably have a handful of variants for already, its a beautiful ship. Sabine has no pink helmet her costume is brownish so it has me wondering if we’ll ever get another wide release take on her pink helmet and armor because honestly that was one of my favorite costume designs for the character. Again, not complaining I understand she is probably accurate to the show. I actually think she looks great its just hard not to comment on the previous builds and figure designs that appear in these sets. An the robot is perfect easily best figure here.

75364 - Gonna be honest I am unfamiliar with the ships, the characters and the plot that this set represents. But I adore the builds and the designs so whatever is going on I think it looks great lol. Blue ship vs red ship is not just exciting because of the new designs for the ships themselves, but because we rarely get 2 ships in 1 set that carry these respective color schemes. It feels so fresh and unique.

75354 - I forgot this design existed I thought Lego accidentally got the colors of a gunship wrong lmaoo. Ultimately a beautiful set with some of the best figures we have gotten for Padme and the Chancellor respectively. 

Overall Summer 2023 was to me one of the strongest waves we’ve had in this theme for a while. The builds were amazing as were the character selections and designs. If I wasn’t still catching up with retired and retiring sets I’d have snatched up these released by now. What an amazing time to be a collector. 

@cosmic: That‘s Ahsoka, not some random Togruta pilot :laugh: Despite knowing some of the characters, I suppose you haven‘t seen Rebels? Lemme put it this way: there is a good reason Kanan is not featured in that set

I apologize if this has been discussed already; what do we think of the possibilities of modding the Venator to add some sort of interior for minifigures?

To add, I have not taken much of a look at the build as to not spoil the fun, however I have heard an interior is non-existent. 

1 hour ago, Unknown Jedi Master said:

I apologize if this has been discussed already; what do we think of the possibilities of modding the Venator to add some sort of interior for minifigures?

To add, I have not taken much of a look at the build as to not spoil the fun, however I have heard an interior is non-existent. 

If I recall correctly, Solid Bricks said in his review that the side panels come off fairly easily & that there’s plenty of space within the side wings to add some minifigure action.

From a microscale perspective, I’ve heard a lot of defenders saying “look at the technic spine—there would’ve been no way to keep it stable AND have an interior” but there’s technic brick that’s bent a 90 degrees (among other solutions) that could’ve been used to create a narrow rectangular gap in the frame where the doors are supposed to open—particularly since the nose doesn’t come to a sharp point.

Edited by Pedilego

What are the chances that Lego will write off more Ahsoka sets because they’ve already dedicated two large and one mid-size set to the show? 

Pretty low I’m assuming, given how they handled Season 2 and 3 of the Mandalorian which both received follow-up sets. The fact that we’re getting Grogu’s Escape next May raises my hopes that we do indeed get at least 1-2 more sets from Ahsoka in August / September. I can’t imagine Lego sleeping on the characters, ships, and locations we’re introduced to with every episode, especially with Part 6.

Which leads into another question, do we know how Lego first gains visibility of the more spoilery aspects of a Disney+ show? We know development times for a set usually take up to 2 years, and if Grogu’s Escape is releasing in May, then there’s no way Lego first learned of the scene by watching that Mando S3 episode for the first time. Similarly with the Mando S2 sets which practically dominated the Summer 2021 wave, those was released less than a year after S2 aired.

The only exception of course is the Dark Trooper Attack set, but Luke’s involvement in the Season 2 finale was a particularly well kept secret to begin with.

I’m guessing Lucasfilm does indeed send follow-up concept art for a show soon after the first batch of non-spoilery material they provide to licensees.

Edited by Kaijumeister

3 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

What are the chances that Lego will write off more Ahsoka sets because they’ve already dedicated two large and one mid-size set to the show? 

Pretty low I’m assuming, given how they handled Season 2 and 3 of the Mandalorian which both received follow-up sets. The fact that we’re getting Grogu’s Escape next May raises my hopes that we do indeed get at least 1-2 more sets from Ahsoka in August / September. I can’t imagine Lego sleeping on the characters, ships, and locations we’re introduced to with every episode, especially with Part 6.

Which leads into another question, do we know how Lego first gains visibility of the more spoilery aspects of a Disney+ show? We know development times for a set usually take up to 2 years, and if Grogu’s Escape is releasing in May, then there’s no way Lego first learned of the scene by watching that Mando S3 episode for the first time. Similarly with the Mando S2 sets which practically dominated the Summer 2021 wave, those was released less than a year after S2 aired.

The only exception of course is the Dark Trooper Attack set, but Luke’s involvement in the Season 2 finale was a particularly well kept secret to begin with.

I’m guessing Lucasfilm does indeed send follow-up concept art for a show soon after the first batch of non-spoilery material they provide to licensees.

Yeah, Luke's secrecy was an outlier, I think. I hope more Ahsoka sets are on the line for us.

3 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Practically zero, I would say. There‘s no way they‘re not tapping further into that gold mine :laugh: Sure, Mando is so far the only live-action show to have more than one wave of sets, but there‘s no better candidate to follow that path than Ahsoka. It‘s like printing money!

IMO the existence of the Dark Trooper attack shows Lego does get info on spoiler sets and therefore they are more likely.
Of course Ahsoka will never be near the hype of Luke Skywalker returning, but given Ahsoka is only 3/4's done, and two of the most important characters in the show are likely to have large involvement in what will be 3 out of 8 episodes (I'm talking about Thrawn and Ezra btw), it sure seems like a great opportunity to sell toys.

I'm betting on another set with Thrawn, Ezra, and Enoch.