MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Both LEGO and BrickLink consider Battle Droids to be Minifigs, which is where the “10 Minifigs” thing is coming from; four Clones and six Droids is reasonable for a $30 super battle pack. 

4 hours ago, Duke27 said:

Same as droideka and spider droid 

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

BrickLink counts those as Minifigs, but LEGO does not (note who appears in the Minifig lineups on boxes).

I'm fairly certain the lineups on boxes are just for figures in general, as the LSAH descriptions usually differentiate between "minifigures" and "LEGO droid figures" or just "LEGO figures", with astromechs, B1s, and the like being in the latter category. Spider droids and such are normally specified separately. Cases in point, "The set includes 5 LEGO minifigures – Commander Cody, a 212th Clone Gunner and 3 212th Clone Troopers – to pit against 3 Battle Droid LEGO figures and a buildable Dwarf Spider Droid, plus assorted cool weapons." or "Bring classic scenes to life with 12 LEGO Star Wars™ characters, including a new-for-August-2023 Garven Dreis (Red Leader) LEGO minifigure and an R2-BHD LEGO droid figure."

12 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Shinies, huh? Not the most exciting option out there, but at least they’re not 501st, so I’ll take it :laugh: 

I’m more excited to hear details about the Skeleton Crew set though (unless it’s been delayed, since we still have no idea when the show itself will actually air). The ship looked interesting in the concept art and there could be some intriguing minifigs in the mix! Also looking forward to our first Jude Law minifig :sweet:

Plain white Phase 2 clone troopers sound great to me - they're very useful as they can fit alongside any clone commander and can be background troops for other legions imo

Honestly I think if it is a plain trooper battlepack then I'm much more inclined to buy multiple copies compared to the more specific clones - the one thing which would hold me back from that would be that $30 pricepoint. What was the lowest price the first 501st set was discounted to? 

8 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

I'm fairly certain the lineups on boxes are just for figures in general, as the LSAH descriptions usually differentiate between "minifigures" and "LEGO droid figures" or just "LEGO figures", with astromechs, B1s, and the like being in the latter category. Spider droids and such are normally specified separately. Cases in point, "The set includes 5 LEGO minifigures – Commander Cody, a 212th Clone Gunner and 3 212th Clone Troopers – to pit against 3 Battle Droid LEGO figures and a buildable Dwarf Spider Droid, plus assorted cool weapons." or "Bring classic scenes to life with 12 LEGO Star Wars™ characters, including a new-for-August-2023 Garven Dreis (Red Leader) LEGO minifigure and an R2-BHD LEGO droid figure."

It's largely semantics of course, but for TLG, the design of the minifigure is patented and trademarked. Droids like these don't use any minifigure parts, so don't (or can't?) get described as minifigures. Huyang and C-3PO are still described as minifigs, for instance.

But for sites like Bricklink, if someone is looking for a droid figure, the association is with minifigures, since they're figures at minifigure scale. Therefore it makes sense to classify them as minifigs to make it easier for people to find.

So are battle droids minifigures? Well, yes and no. Depends why one would want to make the distinction.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

The whole is a droid a minifigure debate is quite philosophical which I would never expect from a forum about Lego 

for me if we are 100% getting B2s I’m already sold don’t care about the clones or which legion or role they are. I hope they do at least one Droideka as don’t think we’ve had one for long time and I’d quite like to see what they come out with design wise I’m sure there are new parts and pieces they would incorporate (hopefully not stud shooters) 

considering the piece count I do find it hard to imagine what the vehicles/side builds would actually look like. 

i can’t wait to hear more about the other sets that are due to come out first half of the year next year.

on a side note I know this probably isn’t the place to ask but does anyone know what the GWPs are for the rest of the year? I’m just planning on when to get the September sets and hoped there would be an interesting one coming soon. 

I guess they're harkening back to the old clone battle pack from 2008 with the gunner and 2 shines/1 commander figure. I wonder if that might mean the return of actual Kamas lol to make a generic commander :grin:

5 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

I guess they're harkening back to the old clone battle pack from 2008 with the gunner and 2 shines/1 commander figure. I wonder if that might mean the return of actual Kamas lol to make a generic commander :grin:

If the set includes a cloth kama and pauldron for a generic commander, I will spend an unsafe amount of my savings on this to A: obtain kamas for my officers and commanders who currently have printed ones and B: show that we want kamas.

As a side note, I loved the 2008 pack. The first sets I remember owning were that pack and the hoth rebels 2008 pack. Lots of "misunderstanding" battles that always ended with Zev (who I thought was pilot luke) figuring out the clones were good guys and not stormtroopers, until I got more sets with villain characters.

6 hours ago, Llewop said:

on a side note I know this probably isn’t the place to ask but does anyone know what the GWPs are for the rest of the year? I’m just planning on when to get the September sets and hoped there would be an interesting one coming soon. 

Brickclicker usually has good videos that include upcoming gwp rumors, I'd check out his channel

16 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

These were guesses. 

One of those three is correct.

7 minutes ago, Renown said:

One of the builds must be a Clone Walker, a STAP, or a Crab Droid. 
@Renown said that "most" of the builds cannot fly, and that the CIS builds (plural) are Canon and more substantial than the GAR ones. 

If the STAP is included, then the Clones cannot have a walker, meaning that they could end up with a speeder (another flying vehicle).
If the walker is included, then the CIS will not have any viable Canon flying options left at this size, so maybe the Clones get a made-up flying thing (speeder?) as well as a walker; this would contradict the assertion that the CIS builds are the more substantial ones, though. 
The Crab Droid fits the "substantial Canon CIS build" criteria, and the flying vehicle could be a made-up speeder for the Clones. 

From this, I am guessing that we will get a non-Canon speeder for the Clones, with the Crab Droid being the most likely of @ArrowBricks's guesses. 

50 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

If the STAP is included, then the Clones cannot have a walker

But the clone walker is non canon, isn't it? 

12 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

But the clone walker is non canon, isn't it? 

It depends; an AT-RT is Canon, but the two-seat thing from the 2010 pack is not. Also, since only one of @ArrowBricks's three guesses is correct, if the set includes a STAP, it cannot also include a walker. 

1 minute ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It depends; an AT-RT is Canon, but the two-seat thing from the 2010 pack is not. Also, since only one of @ArrowBricks's three guesses is correct, if the set includes a STAP, it cannot also include a walker. 

Yes, i mean two-seat verison. Why do you think if set includes a STAP, it can't include a two-seat walker? 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

One of the builds must be a Clone Walker, a STAP, or a Crab Droid. 
@Renown said that "most" of the builds cannot fly, and that the CIS builds (plural) are Canon and more substantial than the GAR ones. 

If the STAP is included, then the Clones cannot have a walker, meaning that they could end up with a speeder (another flying vehicle).
If the walker is included, then the CIS will not have any viable Canon flying options left at this size, so maybe the Clones get a made-up flying thing (speeder?) as well as a walker; this would contradict the assertion that the CIS builds are the more substantial ones, though. 
The Crab Droid fits the "substantial Canon CIS build" criteria, and the flying vehicle could be a made-up speeder for the Clones. 

From this, I am guessing that we will get a non-Canon speeder for the Clones, with the Crab Droid being the most likely of @ArrowBricks's guesses. 

I suppose that's possible, but I also think the STAP works:

STAP being the one Renown is talking about.

Main build being a CIS transport.

Clones getting the non-canon speeder from the 2007 pack and/or a small turret.

Has a substantial CIS build, most can't "take flight" in the way an ARC-170 can, as people were suggesting before Renown's comment, and the CIS builds are mostly canon where the clone ones aren't. This also fits with the rumor that it's 4 clones, multiple B1s, and multiple B2s, since it's like a mashup of the 2007 battle packs that started it all. Now the clones themselves are apparently more like the 2008 pack, but if the grogu's escape set has shock troopers, that might explain why they changed it.

5 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

Yes, i mean two-seat verison. Why do you think if set includes a STAP, it can't include a two-seat walker? 

Renown said one of the three is correct.

10 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

Look about 5 posts up to what @Renown said.

1 minute ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Renown said one of the three is correct.

Oh yes, my bad

39 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

This is why: 

On 8/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, ArrowBricks said:

Here’s my guess for the Clones Vs Droids Battle Pack. 

Clone Walker 

CIS STAP 

Crab Droid 

19 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

These were guesses. 

2 hours ago, Renown said:

29 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Main build being a CIS transport.

the CIS builds are mostly canon where the clone ones aren't.

@Renown said that the CIS builds are Canon, not that they mostly Canon; the 2007 CIS transport is not Canon. 

29 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This also fits with the rumor that it's 4 clones, multiple B1s, and multiple B2s, since it's like a mashup of the 2007 battle packs that started it all. 

I do not think that this rumour has been substantiated by anyone who has actually seen the set (@Renown, @ArrowBricks). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

Just out of curiosity @Renown why do you drip the info like this? We know you know what's in the set so what's the deal with the mystery of it?

I'd firmly put money on the crab droid being there since the SW designers said they'd consider including a crab droid in a set in the near future when Solid Brix went to Denmark and interviewed the design team. 

7 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Just out of curiosity @Renown why do you drip the info like this? We know you know what's in the set so what's the deal with the mystery of it?

He could get in trouble.for leaking info. One could assume he has plausible deniability this way.

Don't pester the leakers everyone.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:56 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

The Gunner is a useful and underrepresented role, he can fit into any unit, and he is only available in one $140 set! 

I see where you are coming from but I still think that there are so many better clones they could choose. I mean I personally like to have the Gunners/Pilot in the cannons/ vehicles. So a surplus of gunners isn't great, especially when I can't even remember seeing P2 gunners onscreen at all other than in minor video game roles. ( ironically a pilot would be okay just because they've been neglecting them recently).

A shock trooper officer with red pauldron would be good, or a 327th.

14 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

You should see what they do to people who get found out.

14 minutes ago, Renown said:

You should see what they do to people who get found out.

That sounds… ominous :oh:

I always wondered what happened to them. After all, they‘re breaking NDAs, which can get pretty ugly I imagine