MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Rumour is it’s a regular set. 

Lifebricks told it's a lego story exclusive 

Edited by Duke27

I am absolutely picking nits with this, but I wish they had gone a bit further with Shin and Baylan, Baylan's height is so striking and using the praetorian pauldrons on him would have given him a bit of that height as a minifig, also both of them wear cloaks, and both have orange lightsabers. I know it's hard for lego to get minifigs exact on a first pass I just get the feeling these will be some of the most interesting characters we have had in a while, and I don't think we will get another version of them in lego form. Also from the trailers it appears they fly around in an old jedi shuttle (bubble cockpit one) and we have never gotten that version in lego form but I doubt they have plans to do that in the future.

I just want the NR Pilot for the head and helmet. And maybe the E-Wing if I feel like modding it to be Legends-accurate. Also, what is up with these new Astromech faces? Hopefully this is a one -off for the show, because they look terrible.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:38 PM, Agent Kallus said:

In one of the rendered Chewbacca images there are brown model joints on his bandolier, I'm going assume that this is some sort of rendering error as it'd be weird to break the colour lock for something so unimportant and then to use the most notoriously brittle pigment.

according to stonewars it is a "photoshopped improvement" of a lifestyle picture in the media kit so they will be definitely dbg

https://www.stonewars.de/news/dunkelbraune-mixel-gelenke-neue-farbe-oder-enttaeuschender-photoshop-fail/

19 hours ago, Alex_South said:

I am absolutely picking nits with this, but I wish they had gone a bit further with Shin and Baylan, Baylan's height is so striking and using the praetorian pauldrons on him would have given him a bit of that height as a minifig, also both of them wear cloaks, and both have orange lightsabers.

The pauldrons are such an integral part of the look that they should be present in Lego form, be it as a special part or in arm printing. The hair piece is debatable but since that is an approximation with Lego anyway, I do not mind it much. I do mind the saber colour, though. The fact that he does not have a red saber seems to be of vital importance.

At this price point, nitpicking is not really a thing, I'd say. Even as a toy, Lego is absolute premium product, and as a kid I would have been in awe with that cool Baylon character: orange saber, medieval look, shoulder armour! And what do I get? My 10yo me would have been bitterly disappointed. As an adult knowing what kind of money this is... The minifigs overall seem a little plain, e.g. the lack of printing on the Magistrate's skirt.

Also, there is the contrast to the T-6, and those minifigs look premium to the max, except Sabine. She needed arm printing, too, to brighten her look. And I am not sure about the colour of jumpsuit but I will wait for the show.

Edited by Flieger

28 minutes ago, Mr Ogel said:

according to stonewars it is a "photoshopped improvement" of a lifestyle picture in the media kit so they will be definitely dbg

https://www.stonewars.de/news/dunkelbraune-mixel-gelenke-neue-farbe-oder-enttaeuschender-photoshop-fail/

This had better not become standard practice. Borderline false advertising, even if it's only in the lifestyle shots.

3 hours ago, Mr Ogel said:

Wow.

Someone thought it was relevant to make a full article on that matter while you can see on official pictures that it is clearly DBG.

https://images.brickset.com/news/98474_75371 3.jpg

Next.

20 minutes ago, Anio said:

Wow.

Someone thought it was relevant to make a full article on that matter while you can see on official pictures that it is clearly DBG.

Next.

You are missing the point. Some official pictures show it in gray. Other official pictures show it in brown. It is this contradiction that has spurred the confusion, and thus, the article.

24 minutes ago, Anio said:

Wow.

Next.

Doesn't matter. There was effort put in to making the joints appear brown for at least SOME of the images, which is false advertising.

3 hours ago, Flieger said:

Also, there is the contrast to the T-6, and those minifigs look premium to the max, except Sabine. She needed arm printing, too, to brighten her look. And I am not sure about the colour of jumpsuit but I will wait for the show.

I agree about the arm printing, but the jumpsuit color... it's the same as mando's. It's just difficult to decide what color to make the jumpsuit since in the trailer images it's not quite an exact match to any lego color.

3 hours ago, Flieger said:

The pauldrons are such an integral part of the look that they should be present in Lego form, be it as a special part or in arm printing. The hair piece is debatable but since that is an approximation with Lego anyway, I do not mind it much. I do mind the saber colour, though. The fact that he does not have a red saber seems to be of vital importance.

At this price point, nitpicking is not really a thing, I'd say. Even as a toy, Lego is absolute premium product, and as a kid I would have been in awe with that cool Baylon character: orange saber, medieval look, shoulder armour! And what do I get? My 10yo me would have been bitterly disappointed. As an adult knowing what kind of money this is... The minifigs overall seem a little plain, e.g. the lack of printing on the Magistrate's skirt.

Great points, the T-6 and Ghost feel top tier for Lego Star Wars which is why I will get both of them, but I will skip out on the fighter set because the minifigs aren't great, but maybe we will get better versions down the line. I know chances are slim.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Other official pictures show it in brown.

Yes, I saw that.

Wouldn't want to nitpick, but is it shown as brown or reddish brown? This is a serious forum about a premium product after all.

False advertising implies intent, otherwise it's probably just a mistake.

34 minutes ago, Nobricksleft said:

Wouldn't want to nitpick, but is it shown as brown or reddish brown? This is a serious forum about a premium product after all.

I mean, why else would they photoshop them in brown? It's not like they have brown mixel joints they gave the guy to build it with.

Someone went through conscious effort to alter the color from what it actually was. Now, benefit of the doubt, maybe they photoshopped the lifestyle pictures believing they'd have brown parts molded by the time of the official release, but had realized they couldn't do it sometime between the lifestyle photos being taken and photoshopped and the official reveal. But that's a stretch, and I'd like to hear lego's explanation.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, Nobricksleft said:

It looks like the dark brown colour.

As said, the fact it's been edited in photos demonstrates intent to me. I don't know if TLG uses external companies for their lifestyle shoots, but if so it's possible they changed it assuming it would be fine, and TLG just missed it. I guess the same could happen internally too, although it seems unlikely that sort of thing would happen to me.

LEGO's already flirted with this kind of thing before in box art renders, and while those were - presumably - genuine mistakes, this just seems like another indication that they're not actually that bothered about depicting their products accurately. It smacks more of laziness and a lack of care than deceit.

Brickfanatics had a good article about the Chewie-mixel-joint issue. The author of the article is livid, and I think he's right to be so. This isn't the first time Lego has tweaked their photos to make us see something we wanted but that they weren't delivering. @Anio as a Lego ambassador I hope you'll be able to share our comments with TLG somehow. False advertising is not okay. Whether it was lazy or intentional, it's not something TLG should be "getting away with." They are increasing the price of their product. And since they are a high quality toy most of us are willing to accept that. But with that price increase comes an increase in expectations. Vetting your lifestyle photos before they get published is not too much to ask.

7 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Brickfanatics had a good article about the Chewie-mixel-joint issue. The author of the article is livid, and I think he's right to be so. This isn't the first time Lego has tweaked their photos to make us see something we wanted but that they weren't delivering. @Anio as a Lego ambassador I hope you'll be able to share our comments with TLG somehow. False advertising is not okay. Whether it was lazy or intentional, it's not something TLG should be "getting away with." They are increasing the price of their product. And since they are a high quality toy most of us are willing to accept that. But with that price increase comes an increase in expectations. Vetting your lifestyle photos before they get published is not too much to ask.

Good article - I didn't even know about the mark in the UCS X-wing being edited out.

Does this sort of thing happen much, if at all, in other themes?

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

. @Anio as a Lego ambassador I hope you'll be able to share our comments with TLG somehow.

Ok. I will try to report that to TLG when I review this product (my copy should be on its way soon btw).

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Good article - I didn't even know about the mark in the UCS X-wing being edited out.

Does this sort of thing happen much, if at all, in other themes?

In (most of?) the pictures of the 42126 Ford Raptor technic set they left out the handle on the roof because they knew it looks ugly. And on the box the handle is only shown in the constuction drawing on the back but in none of the pictures. No Photoshop here but they show their own product without all parts to make it look better :laugh:

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

False advertising is not okay. Whether it was lazy or intentional, it's not something TLG should be "getting away with."

Sadly, I think we all know it isn’t laziness. 

Thank you for this though. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I see cases like this, and it’s happening more and more. 

Makes you wonder who’s making these decisions. 

2 hours ago, Anio said:

Ok. I will try to report that to TLG when I review this product (my copy should be on its way soon btw).

I'm sorry you have to review the set! :head_back:

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm sorry you have to review the set! :head_back:

Haha yeah, some sets look like torture. I wonder how many people actually finished the Eifel Tower and sets like that. And now comes Chewie :laugh:

*intro music*

LEAKS! in the LEGO community. After months of hearing that CERTAIN MINIFIGURES would be coming in the UCS VENATOR, new intel, in the form of WATERMARKED IMAGES, have been found! While the fans enjoy these PILFERED PICTURES, the LEGO GROUP conspires, determined to find the source of the leak….

*fading violin*

If this is real, and I have my doubts... a printed kama. On one of two figues. In an $800 set. Where he won't be sitting down. This kama thing is really getting to me, it looks awful and it's not like there aren't solutions. Either duel mold legs, or do a cloth kama LIKE THEY HAVE LITERALLY USED ON FIGURES THIS YEAR.