2 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

As for the 3-in-1 castle, I have two. There is a rebrickable model (I think there is a charge of $10 though) that combines two castles in to one. It is an extremely refined build that retains all the playability. It looks LEGO-official. It is just scaled up. Much better than the free ones that people have been making using three sets. It's not even close. That 2x Castle moc is perhaps my favorite build on Rebrickable. Look in to it. If you're willing to open two of the sets, the $10 is worth it.

Good to know, thanks. I opened the first 3 I got, so I’ve got the bricks to build that. I generally don’t keep things packaged, this 4th one was just to qualify for the GWP. 

1 hour ago, Sir Dano said:

Just more proof that TLG needs to start enforcing the "one per customer" rule.

Those of us that waited got burned in the end. 

58 minutes ago, CallMeCarbiz said:

Those of us that waited got burned in the end. 

They can't even track these when you pay with cash, the only way TLG enforces the rules are with VIP accounts.   

I'm a little Jelly my sister went to the 5th avenue lego store and managed to get the GWP 20 minutes ago, i'm hoping stock holds up until 3rd of August but if shop.lego.com is out i'm not holding out hope.  Oh well.  

End of the day everyone getting annoyed at the GWP running out of stock (rightfully so), the real crime here is that it was a GWP in the first place. The product is 100% complete and ready to sell, it would have done so much more for the castle theme if they'd just put it on shelves for a year instead.

12 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

End of the day everyone getting annoyed at the GWP running out of stock (rightfully so), the real crime here is that it was a GWP in the first place. The product is 100% complete and ready to sell, it would have done so much more for the castle theme if they'd just put it on shelves for a year instead.

Great point! Might I add that having this set in general release (Target, Walmart, etc) would have also attracted many casual LEGO fans. Small enough to not be overly expensive (mass appeal). Retro enough to inject some needed nostalgia that might push some people out of their dark ages… you know “buying it for my kid” 😉

Well, it was still in stock in the store when I arrived about an hour before closing.  So I have six 31120 now and another GWP.  And found a set one of my kids wanted that’s been out of stock online for a while.  So wasn’t a waste of time as I expected.  Not confident the GWP will still be there on the third.

1 hour ago, BitByBrick said:

Great point! Might I add that having this set in general release (Target, Walmart, etc) would have also attracted many casual LEGO fans. Small enough to not be overly expensive (mass appeal). Retro enough to inject some needed nostalgia that might push some people out of their dark ages… you know “buying it for my kid” 😉

Yes! This set should have been in every Wal*Mart and Target. Ideally near the checkout isle to attract the 40-50 year old shoppers.

Edited by Follows Closely

1 hour ago, BitByBrick said:

That's really a brilliant thought. Lego has done a great job at bringing in new adult customers with all these licensed products, but they've done very little in the way of attracting people who just loved Lego as a kid. There are probably a lot of people who aren't interested in licensed themes who would be excited to see the return of their favorite childhood themes if there were inexpensive sets in stores. How many new AFOLs will 40567 and 10305 produce? Pretty much none; the only way you're going to even be aware of its existence is if you're already in the Lego store or looking at Lego websites.

I think the most frustrating part is looking at bricklink and seeing a seller on there that somehow has 98 copies of the set.

Like come on, TLG, fix your shit already.

10 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

As for the 3-in-1 castle, I have two. There is a rebrickable model (I think there is a charge of $10 though) that combines two castles in to one. It is an extremely refined build that retains all the playability. It looks LEGO-official. It is just scaled up. Much better than the free ones that people have been making using three sets. It's not even close. That 2x Castle moc is perhaps my favorite build on Rebrickable. Look in to it. If you're willing to open two of the sets, the $10 is worth it.

Got a link?

6 hours ago, woodford86 said:

Does Lego stock less GWP's in USA? As it looks like Europe has quite a lot in stock still.

6 hours ago, Noktu said:

Does Lego stock less GWP's in USA? As it looks like Europe has quite a lot in stock still.

USA might have gone through the August stock more quickly since I think there were more August 1st releases here (Ninjago, Monkie Kid, and I think some City sets that were already out in Europe were August releases here).

It also probably didn't help that a lot of expensive, high-demand D2C sets came out August 1st including the Atari, Camaro, Sanctum Sanctorum, and Galaxy Explorer. That adds up to a lot of different reasons why buyers might stay up to try to get orders in even if the Forest Hideout itself wasn't their main objective.

23 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Understanding that I have no idea how GWP usually works, I’m guessing the forestmen set will come back later this week. That might just be hopeless optimism on my part. 

Your best bet is stores, lego low key emphasizes on “while supplies last” 😭😭

I still have a feeling that we’ll see these sets again as a VIP point redemption to give everyone another shot at getting at least one.  You have to at least hand it to Lego for creating hype and demand on products.  Their distribution and logistics planning is abysmal, but they drive FOMO and demand very well.  That said, it sucks being on the short end of that.  I have 4 Forest Hideouts in hand another on the way with a 3 in 1 Viking set.  I had been hoping to get a 6th with the Castle tomorrow, but that’s likely not going to happen.  I know some will say I got plenty, but I’ve been a long time Castle-only collector, this is all I buy.  Everyone and their sister who bought an Atari, Camaro, Sanctum, etc got one and probably threw it on eBay.  Im keeping all of mine to get those figures and parts into my kingdom.  Let’s hope we see it back again.

28 minutes ago, INTENSS said:

You have to at least hand it to Lego for creating hype and demand on products.  Their distribution and logistics planning is abysmal, but they drive FOMO and demand very well. 

I guess. From my perspective all they’re doing with this set is offering something I (and many like me) has been shouting about for 10 years, then hiding it behind a pricy pay wall mechanic. 

In other words, I think demand or “hype” would be pretty much the same if this were a regular release, there just wouldn’t be as much pain and (justified) complaining about how to acquire it. 

13 hours ago, Rjbricks said:

Got a link?

LEGO MOC Medieval Castle II – Mod Combining Two 3-in-1 Castles (31120) by BrickType | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

It's glorious. Looks to also be one of the higher liked premium mocs on the site. I don't see mocs break more than 1,000 likes often on Rebrickable. The creator has digital images, but make sure you click the photos tab for photos from people that bought the instructions. The nice thing is that, for $200, you get a castle with a more symetrical footprint that you'd be accustomed to back in the earlier days of LEGO. It's playable and displayable (though not as displayable as the $400 castle, of course). I would just change the banners from white and red to black and blue or white and blue. Now the Black Falcons have their own castle. 

Edited by Something_Awesome

I feel like TLG makes bad decisions with their GWP sets.  Making the GWP available again on the 1st and leaving the castle to the 3rd is a shitty move.  Tons of those GWP sets are just going to be sitting at the homes of people who could care less about castle sets.  Only a very small percentage of people will actually put in the effort to sell and ship a small set like the forestmen set.  Thus creating a false shortage...

Let's be optimistic. Perhaps Lego finally realizes that castle sets are popular, that kids want to play knights and Robin Hood and for the 100th anniversary we will have a brand new TV show and a new castle subtheme... a minidoll style one for friends :tongue:

17 hours ago, Something_Awesome said:

LEGO MOC Medieval Castle II – Mod Combining Two 3-in-1 Castles (31120) by BrickType | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

It's glorious. Looks to also be one of the higher liked premium mocs on the site. I don't see mocs break more than 1,000 likes often on Rebrickable. The creator has digital images, but make sure you click the photos tab for photos from people that bought the instructions. The nice thing is that, for $200, you get a castle with a more symetrical footprint that you'd be accustomed to back in the earlier days of LEGO. It's playable and displayable (though not as displayable as the $400 castle, of course). I would just change the banners from white and red to black and blue or white and blue. Now the Black Falcons have their own castle. 

There is also https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-80329/mocscout/medieval-fortress-31120-medieval-castle-alternative/#details with three sets.

3 hours ago, Imrryran said:

Yeah, but like I mentioned, that moc requires three sets and is a huge departure from the original design. It has a number of issues, with the biggest being its greatly reduced playability. 

Ye3ah, I built the large 3x version and am not that impressed with it. That other 2x build seems like a much better companion piece for the new Castle as well.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Forest Hideout GWP was still available at the Lego Store in Tukwila today when I picked up the castle.

So that makes five for me. :-) One already built and expanded to recreate the Camouflaged Outpost, two to modify and build a new version of the River Fortress, one to build standard, and one to hold on to as a collector's item.

Nothing is more frustrating then waiting for the cool GWP set to finally be available, going on line or to the store on day one and its sold out.  What a bummer!  It would be nice if TLG would allow VIP's who missed the GWP during the defined dates of its offering to be sent the set at a later date.  I would be ok if if they mandated the VIP had to purchase an additional $35 worth of product for free shipping on the GWP (both shipped at a later date).  I would even be ok if the set came in a plan box (if they ran out of boxes....they never run out of bricks).  That way everybody wins.

Hideout still available as a GWP in the UK and now the VIP pirates pack gets bundled in too.

Should have waited a day after all…