Could I have some more, please sir?

Not a fan of steam, but golly, those Daylights!  (Much enhanced by the custom rods, of course.)

Edited by ivanlan9
Bang!

Interesting. Haven't seen the San Joaquins modeled in the hobby yet. You also got one of the SJD's famous 3/4 domes to go behind that pacific?

On 5/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Modeltrainman said:

Beautiful, sir!

Thank you, and this is only just the start (grin)

On 5/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, ivanlan9 said:

Could I have some more, please sir?

Not a fan of steam, but golly, those Daylights!  (Much enhanced by the custom rods, of course.)

Thank you too and apologies in advance for being a butt, but I am going to drag the presentation out a bit because it will be a very long time before I build anything else this ambitious and because I still want some "new-ness" when she debuts for real at Brickworld next month.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, High_Admiral said:

Interesting. Haven't seen the San Joaquins modeled in the hobby yet. You also got one of the SJD's famous 3/4 domes to go behind that pacific?

With the promise of adding a more complete photo I was going to ask if anyone knew what was odd about this locomotive and completely figured that once I posed the question that @Hod Carrier would chime in 15 min later with the correct answer. But you beat me (and him) to it. Either you caught the engine number, the small hint that there are only 6 drivers, or you were already familiar with the train, regardless, here's the payoff,

52052490105_045f1ec316_c.jpg

sp2484ls_1000.jpg

sp2484rs_1000.jpg

[in the second photo notice the firemen talking on the tender while the water overflows the tank]

I'll write more about the history in a few days, but the quick version is that with the great success of the original 1937 Daylight service (between LA and San Francisco along the California coast) demand quickly grew. In 1941 they added the San Joaquin Daylight up the Central Valley, now serving Oakland instead of San Francisco, which sits across "the Bay". This new train was equipped with the coaches from the original 1937 Daylight after it got new cars but had completely new (as in old) power. Because it was the middle of WWII, there were none of the GS Northerns available. So three P-10 Pacifics from 1923 were skirted up with skyline casings to look like the GS class locomotives (minus a few wheels) to pull the train. SP streamlined a few more Pacifics for the Sunbeam, but they were on the T&NO subsidiary and had a different look. This practice of dressing up older locomotives to look like the shiny new streamliners was not unique to the SP. Just off the top of my head, Milwaukee Road made a few baby Hiawatha's and NW streamlined several existing Class K 4-8-2 locomotives to look like the J's.

As for the build, let me start at the beginning. I have been collecting bricks for this build for 2.5 years. I was aiming to bring the train to Brickworld in 2020. That didn't happen. Over the intervening years I went through over 50 digital versions and several physical mockups to make sure all the mechanicals work. Perhaps the biggest feat is the fact that this engine will take R40 curves (though I can't help it from looking silly when it does).

More pictures coming soon.

The locomotive is 8 wide at the skirts and rods, I did not want the rod extending beyond the skirting and for that reason I decided not to build valve gear. It is a streamlined locomotive and should look the part. Unfortunately I had to go 9 wide at the cylinders, but I don't think it is too obtrusive. The reason for this is, as I mentioned in my last post, the locomotive is designed to take R40 curves. The front truck actually has 4 degrees of freedom, with the first a rotation parallel with the track so that the pilot can stay on even over bumps, the second is a left/right rotation behind the center of the truck, so that as the truck takes a curve the lever arm will push the truck forward (I think it was builder Jayhurst who demonstrated the technique here many years ago) and at the end of the lever arm is another left/right rotation so that the truck will turn to follow the track. The final rotation point is another one in line with the tracks so that the truck stays parallel with the ground. You can see the net result here,

52056246275_1f9e6f6b56_z.jpg

and in detail here:

52054710097_88237ac65c_z.jpg

The front axle ducks outside the skirting just in front of the cylinders while the rear axle tucks in behind the cylinder, and for this clearance, the cylinders had to stick out an extra 1/2 stud on both sides. It is a tight squeeze, but it all works.

The whole interaction with the cylinder and wheels was among the first things I worked out to make sure the engine would run smoothly. My description of how it all comes together might be a bit squishy, so I could try to do an exploded assembly of the truck in LDraw.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, zephyr1934 said:

With the promise of adding a more complete photo I was going to ask if anyone knew what was odd about this locomotive and completely figured that once I posed the question that @Hod Carrier would chime in 15 min later with the correct answer. But you beat me (and him) to it. Either you caught the engine number, the small hint that there are only 6 drivers, or you were already familiar with the train,

The SP Daylight family is kinda my thing. You did the locos well, although I think you forgot the step up into the red band on the fireman's side to allow room for the air compressors.

Spoiler

HO Brass - Westside Southern Pacific SP P-10 Streamlined 4-6-2 San Joaquin  Daylight

It blends in really, really well on the B/W photos just due to the size of the jump up. It's just another quirk of these lovely little locos. Do you have any plans for the other SP Lines streamlined pacifics? 

Spoiler

The T&NO Sunbeam: The South's Finest Train - YouTube

I said SP Lines instead of T&NO due to the fact that the Texas & New Orleans was owned fully by SP and their locos usually ran with SP lettering

Edited by High_Admiral

10 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

52054710097_88237ac65c_z.jpg

-snip-

I would love to see the underside of that front end! Even though I personally don't like how tight the R40 curves are its good to have those systems on smaller trains so they can run on them should the need be. But gosh golly I do love streamlined locomotives, She looks gorgeous!

23 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Gorgeous Pacific Daylight. It'll look fabulous polishing the rails.

Thank you for the kind words!

On 5/7/2022 at 8:31 AM, ThePhatController said:

That's some impressive engineering to get the cylinders nestling in between the axles on the curves 

20 hours ago, Ropefish said:

I would love to see the underside of that front end! Even though I personally don't like how tight the R40 curves are its good to have those systems on smaller trains so they can run on them should the need be. But gosh golly I do love streamlined locomotives, She looks gorgeous!

I love the wide radius curves but I want to make sure my trains can handle R40 switches in yards because they are so much more space efficient (and so much cheaper). To top it all off, at the moment, my club only has R40 curves, but for the last several years any shows we did with operating trains I provided the track. At any rate I made sure to build R40 functionality in. Here's a figure showing the truck action on an R40 curve, with and without the track. You can see the 3 long technic connector bending to the top as the coral colored truck twists to follow the track. The connector pulls the truck just a little forward, allowing it to clear the driver wheels behind, and as luck would have it, tuck in just behind the cylinders. The two vertical pivot points are also apparent in this picture with a second black technic connector that is still inline with the body of the locomotive and the light gray connector on the truck itself. You can also see in this image that in the digital model I only built one side of the locomotive.

52058382434_213ce4190e_c.jpg

22 hours ago, High_Admiral said:

The SP Daylight family is kinda my thing. You did the locos well, although I think you forgot the step up into the red band on the fireman's side to allow room for the air compressors.

Reveal hidden contents

HO Brass - Westside Southern Pacific SP P-10 Streamlined 4-6-2 San Joaquin  Daylight

It blends in really, really well on the B/W photos just due to the size of the jump up. It's just another quirk of these lovely little locos.

You have to be careful about looking too closely at models or you might get something like this (grin)

30-1705-1.jpg

There are actually several anachronisms in that model you linked to, here's another view

AMP_0343_b621cba7-a6ff-4b69-a45b-57cdaf7

The smokebox should have been painted black when the engines wore daylight colors (but later changed to graphite when the engines were painted black). The tender should have been lettered "Southern Pacific Lines" (standard practice until 1946) and the P-10's were painted black by 1947. These engines did not pull those tenders until after being painted black, e.g., look at the rear of the oil bunker and catwalks behind the bunker on 2484 in 1941 and 1947 on this site. On the same site, if you look closely, the fireman's side running board bump from the shroud over the air compressors should have only been about half the height of the red stripe but it is the full height in the model above.

Can you tell that I've looked at just about every online picture of these locomotives and their models (grin some more). Back in the 1990's I volunteered on the 2467 and 2472 (as a lowly grunt, but a happy grunt) so the SP P class has a special place in my heart.

You are right though, the shroud over the air compressor is probably the most prominent feature that indicates the skirting was a retrofit rather than in the original design of these engines. But it was ultimately a feature I chose to edit out in my model. I could have easily captured it with red tiles above the running boards, but then the red/orange transition when viewed from above would have highlighted another problem, the running boards should be black on top. The prototypes are rarely seen from above so if I had used electrical tape (or similar) to cover the top of the running boards, although prototypical, it would look strange when viewed from conventional model railroading angles. This is one of those cases where doing it right would have made it look wrong.

5 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

You are right though, the shroud over the air compressor is probably the most prominent feature that indicates the skirting was a retrofit rather than in the original design of these engines. But it was ultimately a feature I chose to edit out in my model. I could have easily captured it with red tiles above the running boards, but then the red/orange transition when viewed from above would have highlighted another problem, the running boards should be black on top. The prototypes are rarely seen from above so if I had used electrical tape (or similar) to cover the top of the running boards, although prototypical, it would look strange when viewed from conventional model railroading angles. This is one of those cases where doing it right would have made it look wrong.

Yeah, the model wasn't particularly the best one, but it as the best one I could find that demonstrated the jump in the running board. The design change on the Lego model makes sense, it would look a bit weird in a typical model railroading perspective. 

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

-snip-

Ohh this is a great design, I will have to keep it in mind if i make any locomotives with a 4 wheel leading truck now! Thank you for your work, can't wait to see it running ( in a video perhaps hahah. )

Getting back to touring the outside of my build, I'm not completely happy with any of my shots of the tender thus far. So instead of one I give you two shots. This first one highlights the oil bunker,

52061122525_6436498448_c.jpg

You can see bits of the cab detail here, I'll come back to the cab in a later post. But while glancing at the cab, note the brown ingot used to represent the armrest in the cab window. Not a complicated feature but it seems to disappear in all of my photos and the crew appreciates it (grin).

And this second image shows the complete tender

52059590127_0e9f407148_c.jpg

Like the armrest, a few more features seem to disappear in my photos. In this case, the red running boards above the lettering (1x6 tiles) and the angled top to the toolbox on the rear of the tender below the lettering (1x1 double slopes) are hard to see at this angle.

45 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

the red and orange

I was waiting for just that: That someone names the colors - thank you, @LEGO Train 12 Volts!!! ... I recently seriously screwed up on the new passenger train and @Aanchir (very politely!) told me I was off a bit ;)

So now I am confident to write something ... I mean, when looking at the gray-scale photographs it is such a nice, powerful and elegant locomotive. I never imagined that these were so vividly colored ... simply beautiful. But that is only one aspect, which you captured so brilliantly. But ... negotiating R40's - this is crazy! What a totally cool solution for the pilot truck!!! And so many other things. Wow.

And when she is on all straight rails - no one would ever anticipate what happens in tight curves ...

And lastly: Let's assume that orange is some lame substitute for gold - then this beauty is colored in the colors of the German flag - which is of >no< meaning to me at all, and even less so this very day - I am more into the blue of the EU - with these stars sparkling :pir-stareyes:.

Congratulations (I believe for the x-times by now) - the folks attending the show will be - to the least - fascinated.

All the best and good luck,
Thorsten

For today we circle back to the front of the locomotive for a better view of the nose. Gotta love that safe piece.

52063218051_7f25ab4edd_b.jpg

19 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Great locomotive  ...the red and orange totally rock me! :pir-stareyes::pir-huzzah2:

You are too kind. That's the thing with these builds though, the prototypes were so beautiful that most of the credit goes to those real world designers. I'm just figuring out how to get the bricks to remotely mimic reality.

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

And lastly: Let's assume that orange is some lame substitute for gold - then this beauty is colored in the colors of the German flag - which is of >no< meaning to me at all, and even less so this very day - I am more into the blue of the EU - with these stars sparkling :pir-stareyes:. 

I am totally certain that SP was aiming for the gold and just couldn't get there (grin). Thank your for you always kind words.

22 hours ago, Toastie said:

I mean, when looking at the gray-scale photographs it is such a nice, powerful and elegant locomotive. I never imagined that these were so vividly colored ... simply beautiful. But that is only one aspect, which you captured so brilliantly.

What you say @Toastie is very true, and I had not metabolized this concept enough ...but it is real: the bricks do the miracle by restoring and showing the beauty of the model as if it were new!
About the thesis on the gold color ...then I share it ...and even if this is a bit off topic, you know that I have a soft spot for Germany and its railways :wink:

Going back to the model @zephyr1934 your last photo taken from the front is wonderful! :wub:

For today let’s sneak a peek into the cab. Peering in through the fireman’s window, we see the sight glass, brake stand, Johnson bar and poking down from the top of the window we see the throttle.

52065983570_7927d008a4_z.jpg

Meanwhile, @LEGO Train 12 Volts, as a master train builder your praise means a ton.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

For today let’s sneak a peek into the cab. Peering in through the fireman’s window, we see the sight glass, brake stand, Johnson bar and poking down from the top of the window we see the throttle.

52065983570_7927d008a4_z.jpg

Meanwhile, @LEGO Train 12 Volts, as a master train builder your praise means a ton.

Love the use of the Sextant there!

Looks like nobody is around. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt anyone if we climb up into the cab for just a minute. Here we see two more views of the backhead. I was able to work in the brake stand and overhead throttle. These views also offer an opportunity to see how the orange stripe transitions. The stripe on the tender is 5 plates tall, but at the front of the engine it is 5.5 plates tall (3 plates + 1 snotted stud). At the cab it becomes all studs upright. To make up the half plate gap at the bottom I use 1x2 x 2x2 up brackets to fill it up.

52066659372_c26b142bc2_z.jpg

Along the way, the backhead is curved, with notches in just the right spot for the slope bricks that make up the roof. You can even see out the front cab windows. It might not be obvious in this picture but to get the throttle to curve away from the boiler it is attached to the same bar piece that was also used for the brake handles (32828).

52067715188_78341b275d.jpg

23 hours ago, Ropefish said:

Love the use of the Sextant there!

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I confirm the sextant is the icing on the cake ... beautiful details and fabulous shot from the outside! :wub_drool:

Thank you. I used the surviving and operational older sisters (2467 & 2472) as guides for the cab details. Obviously I couldn't replicate everything in the 6 stud width I had to work with, but I got a lot. The shape of the sextant is actually prototypical, as per the photo of 2472 below, but the Johnson bar is shoved forward here instead of straight up in my model. The brake stand is also evident in the photo directly below the engineer's hand on the throttle, but both brake handles are pointing towards the camera so they are not obvious in the photo

Engineer%20of%20the%202472.JPG

You know, I forgot to include a link to the full album, now added to the first post and repeated here:

[album on flickr]

Anyway, today I pull back the shrouding and show you what's under the hood. When I started building the P10 I assumed I would need to go with tender power, so I got the engine far enough that I knew I had the most challenging bit solved. I built a prototype in real bricks of the pilot truck (as per above), cylinders, a bit of skirting, and the drivers to make sure she would clear all of the curves. After I got that working I set the loco aside and spent WAY too long building up the PF tender (top left in the image below). The hard part was getting the top, sides and bottom to both line up and be securely attached. The one thing that is hard to see in this image is the crazy amount of half plate offsets I had to work in both vertically and horizontally on all three of the models. Anyway, after getting the PF tender far enough along I returned to building up the locomotive and I realized I might be able to fit the PF in there after all. The final result shown below. Note the discrete placement of the IR sensor right behind the stack. As a result, I scrapped the PF tender idea (and all of the time put into it) and went to a non-powered tender. Much better, and surprisingly, the three axle trucks on the tender do not cause any problems.

52072618975_f832302309_c.jpg