1 hour ago, Hive said:

I don't get the complaints about the amount of females in the set. This is a toy for children, not an accurate historical representation of the dark ages. If that's what you're looking for, you shouldn't be looking for LEGO sets to begin with.

Agree, and then there are the comments about a lack of king.

On one hand I can understand the question, there are 2 King's Castles this is partly based on , at least the gatehouse/portcullis and being from the original 1984 , set 6080 Faction (and 2010 King's Castle clearly being a modern inspiration of said gatehouse).

And then there could be "reasons" like King Richard Lionheart (the original named king from back then), being away on a crusade. (same faction being named Crusaders)

Or there's another possibility, if a Queen is the ruler, there's only a Prince, not a King (see Queen Elizabeth II and the late Prince Philip)

Overall nothing wrong with desire for a King figure, in such a big set though.

For me, the main negative about the figures is the lack of Wizard printing, like nothing at all. 

On the other hand, an unprinted blue dress/robe can be used for many other figures, even for the Queen with some head swaps, or just the blue skirt part,  if you want a pseudo knight-king from just this set, the Wizard minifig face could be an old king. (just speaking of the simplest but perhaps not ideal solutions if you just consider this 1 set)

Edited by TeriXeri

14 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

For me, the main negative about the figures is the lack of Wizard printing, like nothing at all. 

I agree. Not sure about this decision by LEGO. As a result, poor Wiz may stay in the box. Recently picked up the BAM Wizard, curiously he has full printing and is also blue. 

Wonder if this set will eventually suffer from the dreaded price increases that are happening to other sets? Say before Christmas maybe? Hope not but makes you wonder. 🤔

5 minutes ago, BitByBrick said:

Wonder if this set will eventually suffer from the dreaded price increases that are happening to other sets? Say before Christmas maybe? Hope not but makes you wonder. 🤔

I think the price increase already is calculated, it was first rumored to retail at €/$350, many of the sets above €200/$200 will go up a flat $50 regardless of % (not really fair but that's the way it is)

$200 Tree House 👉 $250

€300 Ninjago Gardens 👉 €350

€400 Ferrari 👉 €450

$800 Falcon 👉 $850

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

On one hand I can understand the question, there are 2 King's Castles this is partly based on , at least the gatehouse/portcullis and being from the original 1984 , set 6080 Faction (and 2010 King's Castle clearly being a modern inspiration of said gatehouse).

And then there could be "reasons" like King Richard Lionheart (the original named king from back then), being away on a crusade. (same faction being named Crusaders)

Or there's another possibility, if a Queen is the ruler, there's only a Prince, not a King (see Queen Elizabeth II and the late Prince Philip)

On the other hand, an unprinted blue dress/robe can be used for many other figures, even for the Queen with some head swaps, or just the blue skirt part,  if you want a pseudo knight-king from just this set, the Wizard minifig face could be an old king. (just speaking of the simplest but perhaps not ideal solutions if you just consider this 1 set)

As you say yourself, there can be many reasons why a king is not present in the set. Is he away? Is he dead? Has the queen never married? Either way, I'd assume most of us can create a nice and fine king from existing minifigure parts.

I, too, am puzzled about the barebone wizard torso. For a set of this size, magnitude and price, they could have included a printed torso. Personally however, I already have several good wizard torsos I can use (a few of them even blue) - so I'm not overly bothered.

The things that bothers me the most (and these are minor) are:

1. No Forestmen shield included. I have the GWP, but it seemed like such a no-brainer to include at least one here as well (I actually assumed they were created for this set, and just re-purposed for the GWP).

2. The sheep should have been a goat. Yes, this would have been the perfect time to do a new goat mold.

1 minute ago, Hive said:

1. No Forestmen shield included. I have the GWP, but it seemed like such a no-brainer to include at least one here as well (I actually assumed they were created for this set, and just re-purposed for the GWP).

Reviews showed there's 1 Forestmen Shield in this set, better then nothing.

The only multiples of shields however are the standard lion shields, 3 of each  blue/yellow background variant.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

Reviews showed there's 1 Forestmen Shield in this set, better then nothing.

Really? Oh, that's great. I did not see one in any of the pictures.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

In my area (Boston), they do something similar. If you arrive on release day and queue up early, they will give you a ticket for the set you want. I was there on Titanic release day about five minutes before the store opened (although I wanted to get a Corner Garage), and they had about 20 Titanics in stock. All of them were given to people who arrived before opening time (but the last was about one minute before opening). They're very friendly and really helpful. It was rather fun to be in the buzzing queue for a few minutes. Speaking with store employees on release days in the afternoons, they've had a huge range of numbers of sets, that can sell out before opening time, or by mid-morning. But it's usually pretty early for a popular set.

The best thing to do is call your 'local' store and ask them. They should know when they're likely to get the shipment in and how many sets they will get. Each store gets a different number. They will also likely be able to guess when you'd need to arrive to be able to get one - but it would be a guess. And I suspect they won't hold one for you if you call - you'll have to be there in-person. Good luck!

Is this at the Discovery center? I rarely go in there, especially on day 1 for a set (I'm not that needy, I don't think Lego has ever fully run out of a set barring the bricklink fiasco), but I would like to check the BAM for the knights and wizard.

17 minutes ago, Hive said:

2. The sheep should have been a goat. Yes, this would have been the perfect time to do a new goat mold.

I'm not bothered by that. This is presumably not a massive production set given the price. To have a new mould for the set would presumably have meant cuts to what else we did get, and for me the reappearance of a goat is not that important.

And even if they did a goat in this set, note that they included a lamb not a sheep. I guess they chose a juvenile animal as one of the shots show the lamb being played with / fed by the children. So if they included a goat, then they might well have given us a kid and not an adult goat. In fact, a goat kid looks pretty similar to the lego lamb anyway so it could well be a baby goat if you want it to be.

22 minutes ago, dimc said:

Is this at the Discovery center? I rarely go in there, especially on day 1 for a set (I'm not that needy, I don't think Lego has ever fully run out of a set barring the bricklink fiasco), but I would like to check the BAM for the knights and wizard.

No. I usually go to either the Burlington Mall or South Shore Plaza stores. The Discovery Centre is actually closest to me, but the PAB and BAM prices are higher than a standard store, and it's rare that I buy a set that's either not on sale or with a GWP (neither of which they generally do). Although I think they sometimes get some sets out a few days earlier than the official LEGO Stores.

2 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

No. I usually go to either the Burlington Mall or South Shore Plaza stores. The Discovery Centre is actually closest to me, but the PAB and BAM prices are higher than a standard store, and it's rare that I buy a set that's either not on sale or with a GWP (neither of which they generally do). Although I think they sometimes get some sets out a few days earlier than the official LEGO Stores.

How is Burlington? I haven't been there in years, but I'd be tempted by the BAM for the castle stuff. At this point, I don't think I really need any sets (other than this castle, but again, not a huge rush), so unless I'm out there for other stuff, it's rare.

19 minutes ago, dimc said:

How is Burlington? I haven't been there in years, but I'd be tempted by the BAM for the castle stuff. At this point, I don't think I really need any sets (other than this castle, but again, not a huge rush), so unless I'm out there for other stuff, it's rare.

I've always found them to be super helpful. I've called ahead several times to see if they have things in stock. If it's out of stock, they can usually tell me when they're getting it (including when new BAM figures are coming), and if sets are in stock, they've put them aside for me, ready for when I've come in (as long as it's within a couple of hours). They're really nice. Last time I went (about a month or so ago), they still had pre-made BAM figures, which I think is much better/quicker if you want that figure, but obviously less useful if you want to mix and match stuff.

21 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I've always found them to be super helpful. I've called ahead several times to see if they have things in stock. If it's out of stock, they can usually tell me when they're getting it (including when new BAM figures are coming), and if sets are in stock, they've put them aside for me, ready for when I've come in (as long as it's within a couple of hours). They're really nice. Last time I went (about a month or so ago), they still had pre-made BAM figures, which I think is much better/quicker if you want that figure, but obviously less useful if you want to mix and match stuff.

Thanks for the info! I may give them a call when I'm interested in heading that way to see how BAM stuff looks!

11 hours ago, eldiano said:

...I as a collector like to have the shipper boxes and i hope they let us keep it, other wise the shape of the box gets warped and distorted, we will see.   

I assume you mean the big cartons where all the sets arrive in.
You use them for storing unopened sets in your storage space?
Things are a bit differently in my region. Although I tried once to buy a new Modular set on its release date in January, and was quickly disuaded by the dozens, if not a couple hundred, people lining up outside the store.

All in all, its less hassle to order a new set online with VIP access. A couple days later it is already delivered.

I love the fact that this set comes with some little stories on the box, just like they used to. It would have been really cool if this box had a flap, but this is probably as close as we'll ever get to that.

Lovers of nature and guardians of the forest, these honourable outlaws have chosen life away from the castle and its bustling surroundings. However, the forest people are not without their secrets. They are often spotted in and around the castle. What they are up to remains a mystery...

What do you suppose the forest people are up to?

I've got to say, I'm going to be removing the children from the set on day one. That's just a big NOPE for me. :pir-laugh: There's some kind of Romeo and Juliette thing going on between then.

The Black Falcons' age-old rivalry with the Lion Knights appears to be at its end. These fearsome warriors approach the Lion Knights' Castle not for the first time, though now they come as friends. For how long will this unprecedented period of tranquility prevail?

Again, that's a big NOPE for me here as well. :pir-laugh: Surely, the Black Falcons are only pretending to come in peace, and this will set the stage for a full on assault on the castle. Or perhaps they've put aside their differences long enough to defeat the outlaws?

It would be great if this is a hint of upcoming sets where they're not friendly. On the other hand, I would prefer a new Black Knights castle over another Lion Knights/Black Falcons set. I modern take of Black Knights Castle would have been my first choice from the beginning. I would be over the moon if we ended up getting one.

Seeing these little teases of a story arc on the boxes makes me yearn for a proper castle comic book. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I wish they would bring back Mania Magazine for adults. Imagine if they had longer comics with better stories geared specifically toward adults, similar to The Golden Medallion. They could update the fan creations page to be photos of MOCs from AFOLs. Keep the original Maniac! Can you imagine how cool it would be to have a magazine for 10305?

On 7/17/2022 at 3:36 PM, MAB said:

As an AFOL, I do play with minifigures. I use minifigures, and animals, and so on posed to give a bit of life to the build. A model with no people populating it always looks a bit odd to me. A cart without a horse or other animal pulling it, a table with food on it but no people to eat it, an armory full of swords but no soldiers, ... it looks like all the life was suddenly vaporised. 

That's fine, you can come to my place and pose my minifigures as well. It just feels like too much work and I can't dust them all to save my life :)

On 7/16/2022 at 8:50 PM, Aanchir said:

Honestly, I feel the size and detail easily justify the price to me — even if it's still a tough pill to swallow! After all, its full size is around twice that of Modular Buildings from recent years like Corner Garage, Police Station, and Boutique Hotel that cost $200 USD apiece.

Even if minifigs are not really a plus in your book, the lack of minifigs and molded animals was perhaps the BIGGEST criticism that 31120 got from other AFOLs in this forum, so it's not as though they're something that LEGO only threw in to boost its "kid appeal" as a playset. Just because you don't care for minifigures doesn't mean they're of no interest to AFOLs.

For that matter, I hardly think the dollhouse-style interior really meaningfully detracts from the outside appearance. In fact, a lot of the most gorgeous and interesting exterior details in this set directly relate to the interiors of those parts of the set: for instance, the garderobe, stairs, and gate on the back of the gatehouse, the cavern/tunnel openings and big Forestmen-style tree near the moat, the water wheel and natural spring outside the mill/granary, the many arches and stairs that connect the different chambers, the balcony over the water wheel that turns into a bridge, and the bell tower — which would of course be pointless without a bell!

Ninjago City itself was widely regarded as one of the best sets of 2017 even by many AFOLs who ordinarily had little interest in Ninjago. The idea that its AFOL-appeal was somehow compromised or sullied by its emphasis on by its interior details seems absurd to me — after all, its density of detail (inside and out) was in fact a big part of why AFOLs fell in love with it in the first place! And I am surprised that anybody would describe a set that massive, complex, and detailed as "somewhat plain". *huh*

If anything, sets that prioritize the size and appearance of their exteriors over the detail, authenticity, and livability of their interiors strike me as more of a KFOL thing than an AFOL thing. How often have you seen any Castle, Town, or City set that even approaches the Modular Buildings and Ninjago City collections' level of interior detail? Granted, there are plenty of other AFOLs like you out there who care more about shelf presence than furnished/detailed interiors — the various 18+ sets focusing on static sculptures of famous buildings, sports stadiums, and huge Star Wars ships are a testament to that. But that perspective is far from universal, even among AFOLs!

I don't mind minifigs at all, and 31120 was indeed scarce on them. All I said was that it doesn't bring extra points for me. I kinda expect some minifigs at the end of the day.

As for the interior, the point wasn't that it detracts. Obviously it's better to have an interior than not. The point was that because the interior space had to be usable, the outside of the castle couldn't be in some crazy interesting shape, simple because you couldn't have similarly sized and similarly useful rooms to decorate, but would end up with spaces of different sizes, some too small to create a real room, thus diminishing the play value.

Ninjago City is a wonderful example of what I'm talking about. They took something I couldn't care less for and depicted it so vividly and with so much flair it became alive for me and I had to get all three sets.
With 10305, on the other hand, they took something I care most about and gave it the "I don't really like my job" treatment.

The castle screams: "Wait, I'm coming, I just have to finish designing this Castle for Lego. I don't have many ideas or love for this theme, but I have the skill to make it work anyway" lol

7 minutes ago, Merlo said:

I don't mind minifigs at all, and 31120 was indeed scarce on them. All I said was that it doesn't bring extra points for me. I kinda expect some minifigs at the end of the day.

As for the interior, the point wasn't that it detracts. Obviously it's better to have an interior than not. The point was that because the interior space had to be usable, the outside of the castle couldn't be in some crazy interesting shape, simple because you couldn't have similarly sized and similarly useful rooms to decorate, but would end up with spaces of different sizes, some too small to create a real room, thus diminishing the play value. 

Ninjago City is a wonderful example of what I'm talking about. They took something I couldn't care less for and depicted it so vividly and with so much flair it became alive for me and I had to get all three sets.
With 10305, on the other hand, they took something I care most about and gave it the "I don't really like my job" treatment.

The castle screams: "Wait, I'm coming, I just have to finish designing this Castle for Lego. I don't have many ideas or love for this theme, but I have the skill to make it work anyway" lol

I'm confused on how this isn't a "crazy interesting shape." I think this is the first castle that isn't a square. How do you imagine this set should have looked like?

I think it's fair criticism though that every wall "needs" to have an interior. I watched the Jangbricks review of Fort Legoredo the other day, and he mentioned that they wouldn't put a simple wall in the set if they released a new fort. He's probably right, but that just seems absolutely ridiculous to me. In real life, most of the walls of a fort would have been simple barriers to provide a barrier. The same goes for a castle. A castle should have some section that's simply a wall with guards traversing it. This castle looks fine as it is, but I think that's an area that's ripe for MOCing.

I am on my phone and not able to search this topic so forgive me if this has been asked.  Do we know will we be able to use pick a brick to buy additional shields or minifigures from this set.  Or because it's a special set they will not allow this??

12 hours ago, jodawill said:

IWow. Honestly, that sounds like a horrible experience for the customers. The Lego store is an hour drive for me. I would be really upset if I took the day off from work (as I was considering) to drive down there when they open, just to not be able to take one home. I'm glad you shared this!

I really wanted to drive down and pick it up myself because I've basically been waiting for this my entire life - the opportunity to buy a great castle brand new in the store. Ordering online kind of cheapens the experience a bit. But I won't risk not getting one. I'll order it day one at midnight.

Ehh It’s not bad, I kind of like the hype with other minded Lego maniacs haha, the problem is that 100% they all want the same set you want therefore you need to be there early to ensure a guaranteed spot in line haha like Richard Goring mentioned, I actually became friends with some lego employees and they can get me a heads up on shipment, even then they usually get them a week before release date, in the past they could sell them before the street date but the LEGO Group restricted their software to put a stop to it.  

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I agree, I don’t know why it’s a big deal, this ain’t old school lego that you are stuck with what you got, they can literally but Lego Mini head male replacements if it’s that bad.  

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

I assume you mean the big cartons where all the sets arrive in.
You use them for storing unopened sets in your storage space?
Things are a bit differently in my region. Although I tried once to buy a new Modular set on its release date in January, and was quickly disuaded by the dozens, if not a couple hundred, people lining up outside the store.

All in all, its less hassle to order a new set online with VIP access. A couple days later it is already delivered.

Yes, I got it for my Death Star set, it helps keep the box in shape rather than sagging on side because of gravity LOL.  

In 2017 there was a time that LEGO told their employees to throw them all away but a couple of years later they let us keep them!  

Like I mentioned it keeps the boxes stiff and in good shape! 

6 hours ago, MAB said:

I'm not bothered by that. This is presumably not a massive production set given the price. To have a new mould for the set would presumably have meant cuts to what else we did get, and for me the reappearance of a goat is not that important.

They actually had the budget for a new part and a am sure some designers would have given us a goat, a new weapon or another part specific to the Caste theme however the actual designers of the set instead gave us a brick useful for a wider range of sets:

NEW_ARCH.jpg

Not so sure I agree with that decision since this was the first Castle set in 10 years with the budget to make a new part :sceptic:

6 hours ago, MAB said:

And even if they did a goat in this set, note that they included a lamb not a sheep. I guess they chose a juvenile animal as one of the shots show the lamb being played with / fed by the children. So if they included a goat, then they might well have given us a kid and not an adult goat. In fact, a goat kid looks pretty similar to the lego lamb anyway so it could well be a baby goat if you want it to be.

Apparently it was a cat that was swapped out for a lamb in the last minute (the press release say a cat is included). They probably only had the budget for one more animal and choose the lamb since it was new (instead of the sheep that had been in a couple of sets). I agree with that decision, even if the single lamb look a little lost with out an adult sheep. A calf or foal (both new this year) would fit better in since the adult animals are in the set :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, Hive said:

I think they both should have been included, but I agree that this was a wasted opportunity to make a new goat :wacko:

13 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They actually had the budget for a new part and a am sure some designers would have given us a goat, a new weapon or another part specific to the Caste theme however the actual designers of the set instead gave us a brick useful for a wider range of sets:

Not so sure I agree with that decision since this was the first Castle set in 10 years with the budget to make a new part :sceptic:

Apparently it was a cat that was swapped out for a lamb in the last minute (the press release say a cat is included). They probably only had the budget for one more animal and choose the lamb since it was new (instead of the sheep that had been in a couple of sets). I agree with that decision, even if the single lamb look a little lost with out an adult sheep. A calf or foal (both new this year) would fit better in since the adult animals are in the set :shrug_oh_well:

I think they both should have been included, but I agree that this was a wasted opportunity to make a new goat :wacko:

I personally think a part as versatile as a new arch is WAY more interesting than an animal mold or weapon that would have less impact overall on the look and design of the castle itself. People are talking about this set like it was the last or only opportunity for a goat when honestly, small animal molds and minifigure weapons are practically tailor-made for something like collectible minifigures where they have a big impact on the appeal of an individual fig, and where individual figs can be easily acquired in quantity even without resorting to the aftermarket. In a giant set like this, introducing a new weapon or goat would both have very little impact on the appeal of the set as a whole (goats may be popular but I doubt they'd sway buyers to drop $300+ on a set unless they were already interested in the set on its own merits), and would make people who want them in quantity have to resort to bricks and pieces or aftermarket sellers (since buying multiples of a set like this for the goats alone would be absurd).

53 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

They probably only had the budget for one more animal and choose the lamb since it was new (instead of the sheep that had been in a couple of sets). I agree with that decision, even if the single lamb look a little lost with out an adult sheep. A calf or foal (both new this year) would fit better in since the adult animals are in the set :shrug_oh_well:

I prefer a lamb over a sheep - at least until lambs are available on Bricks & Pieces. I have a flock of sheep, but no lambs (and don't really want to pay crazy prices for the City Farm just to get one.

23 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I personally think a part as versatile as a new arch is WAY more interesting than an animal mold or weapon that would have less impact overall on the look and design of the castle itself. People are talking about this set like it was the last or only opportunity for a goat when honestly, small animal molds and minifigure weapons are practically tailor-made for something like collectible minifigures where they have a big impact on the appeal of an individual fig, and where individual figs can be easily acquired in quantity even without resorting to the aftermarket. In a giant set like this, introducing a new weapon or goat would both have very little impact on the appeal of the set as a whole (goats may be popular but I doubt they'd sway buyers to drop $300+ on a set unless they were already interested in the set on its own merits), and would make people who want them in quantity have to resort to bricks and pieces or aftermarket sellers (since buying multiples of a set like this for the goats alone would be absurd).

But remember, CMFs are moving to blind boxes soon, which is going to make finding the figure that you want that much harder. Still better than a $400 castle though.

38 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I respect where you're coming from on that one, but I do have an exception: A new helmet. I heard in an interview somewhere that they were considering a new knight's helmet for this set, but opted for other new parts. That's something they've done for other CMF's (viking) and a princess, but never for a knight, guard, whatever.

38 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I prefer a lamb over a sheep - at least until lambs are available on Bricks & Pieces. I have a flock of sheep, but no lambs (and don't really want to pay crazy prices for the City Farm just to get one.

But remember, CMFs are moving to blind boxes soon, which is going to make finding the figure that you want that much harder. Still better than a $400 castle though.

To be very honest, I'd very likely be hunting for any new Castle CMF figures in the aftermarket.

If the FOMO gets too strong, this might push me into my next Dark Ages after this set.

Edited by Triceron

31 minutes ago, Triceron said:

To be very honest, I'd very likely be hunting for any new Castle CMF figures in the aftermarket.

If the FOMO gets too strong, this might push me into my next Dark Ages after this set.

How big of a box would it be?  I just brought MicroMachines blind boxes but I can find out which items they are from the barcode so all is not lost LOL. 

PS. If you type in the set in PAB the lego website does populate the bricks for this set now, you can buy almost every brick from 10305. Out of 711 available bricks only 95 are sold out, they have the generic torsos, heads and legs but no forestmen goods or printed castle stuff, the only shield I saw was the Black Falcons.  

It usually takes a couple of months for them to add the other parts, this was the case Medieval Blacksmith and Medieval Castle, let’s hope Lion Knights Follows suit! 

Edited by eldiano