NoOneOfImportance

Ongoing Transformers Rumors and Discussion

14 minutes ago, Killian said:

I hope it's a success and they go on to do characters like Shockwave, Grimlock, Arcee, Megatron etc..

That would be really great! Hope they use the same scale. But if you do a whole serie of Transformers they are a bit too big in my opinion.

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

It looks like the sticker for the eyes is upside down or not printed centrally, as they look right apart from the orientation. For a throwback to the original figure this is outstanding.

Minor correction but the eyes are a print, not a sticker.

3 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

I know it's heavy on the price side, understandable with the license though.

The Horizon Tallneck set is also licensed, yet with only some 300 less parts is literally half the price.

The Delorean, also licensed, was the same price but had an extra 400 or so parts.

I think Optimus looks great, but I don't know that I can justify spending NZ$280 on a 1500pc set.

2 hours ago, Killian said:

I hope it's a success and they go on to do characters like Shockwave, Grimlock, Arcee, Megatron etc..

I doubt we'll ever get anything that transforms into a gun. So maybe tank Megatron but not G1.

I kinda hope they do Starscream next.

12 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

The Horizon Tallneck set is also licensed, yet with only some 300 less parts is literally half the price.

The Delorean, also licensed, was the same price but had an extra 400 or so parts.

I think Optimus looks great, but I don't know that I can justify spending NZ$280 on a 1500pc set.

I have to agree the price is too high. Especially since we aren't getting any minifigs. A set with no minifigs is usually less than $.10 a part. And it's not like there are any large parts even.

But, TF fans are crazy, perhaps Lego knows that and priced this set accordingly.

Wow, this looks even better than I thought! Comparing with the original figure and the cartoon-accurate Masterpiece toys, they're pretty much alike!

I do wish the Matrix had a blue center instead of being all-orange, though.

3 hours ago, Killian said:

I think this is a single case collaboration, so it's unlikely. Especially for Grimlock; if Optimus is this big, Grim would be huge. But yeah, I'd also like to see more of this in the future.

While I know they're even more unlikely because they're less well known than, say, Bumblebee or Soundwave, I'd also love sets of Amalgamous Prime, Nexus Prime and other Shifter-esque characters. I always thought that a buildable figure would be the best way to represent a character with infinite transformations, much like Queen Watevra.

52 minutes ago, danth said:

I doubt we'll ever get anything that transforms into a gun. So maybe tank Megatron but not G1.

Or an alien jet. But the tank seems more popular, so it's far more likely.

2 hours ago, The Outsider said:

Or an alien jet. But the tank seems more popular, so it's far more likely.

Hasn't Lego never produced an actual tank set?

Not even Indiana Jones had one and it came the closest to military themes. 

1 hour ago, danth said:

Closest I can find is this:

https://brickset.com/sets/76017-1/Avengers-Captain-America-vs-Hydra

Not counting sci-fi tanks of course (SW, Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Exo Force, etc).

That is close. But can technically pass as an atv.

But I don't see Lego ever making a realistic looking tank. Even one for Megatron to transform into. 
They'd probably do a Jet for him.

Unless they decide to do Beast Wars Megatron

13 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Not all license deals will be of the same value. Habros biggest competitor in the Toy market is Lego. For them to allow them to use one of their most popular brands must have come at considerable cost. Hasbro will be making as much profit as Lego out of this deal. Disney licensing is also on the high side too compared to the ones you listed.

12 hours ago, danth said:

I have to agree the price is too high. Especially since we aren't getting any minifigs. A set with no minifigs is usually less than $.10 a part. And it's not like there are any large parts even.

But, TF fans are crazy, perhaps Lego knows that and priced this set accordingly.

I can't see them making a G1 Megatron for the reasons you gave. Even Starscream is unlikely as the G1 version was a combat aircraft. Soundwave is more likely and as a fan I would be interested in owning that set if it's made. The only other main non military Decepticons are the Constructicons and Insecticons.

G1 TF fans who owned the toys in the 80s are all in their 40s and 50s now. It's a Prime market with disposable income.

48 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Not all license deals will be of the same value. Habros biggest competitor in the Toy market is Lego. For them to allow them to use one of their most popular brands must have come at considerable cost. Hasbro will be making as much profit as Lego out of this deal. Disney licensing is also on the high side too compared to the ones you listed.

Yes, all perfectly true and worth pointing out. But while this may go some way towards explaining the price, it doesn't do anything to make me as a potential customer feel any better about it. Still, these will sell like hotcakes so Lego can pretty much charge whatever they want for the set, and still have them sell out and go to back-order before many can even get an order in. Nice to see that much of it is printed rather than relying on stickers though, so I appreciate that. I might have to wait for this one to be discounted after release.

Hopefully this is the first of many sets in the Transformers line. The UCS style branding & pricing suggests that there are going to be more sets in this scale. Brickheadz and Star Wars style Helmets also have potential as sets.

The big question is would they ever make them in System scale. The amount of potential there is huge. There's also the minifigure side of things. Kreo did attempt them, would Lego succeed where they failed.

5 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

G1 TF fans who owned the toys in the 80s are all in their 40s and 50s now. It's a Prime market with disposable income.

Totally, and if you're still nerdy enough in your 40s/50s (ahem) to care about TFs and Lego, you are very likely in some tech field that pays decently. I know it's a total stereotype, but...it exists for a reason. :D

4 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Nice to see that much of it is printed rather than relying on stickers though, so I appreciate that. I might have to wait for this one to be discounted after release.

I really think that after a certain price point, especially for "collector" type items or deluxe sets, Lego should just charge what it takes to get everything printed. I would rather pay $20 or whatever more and get a really nice set than have to deal with crooked stickers that get a ring of dust stuck around their edges forever.

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Minor correction but the eyes are a print, not a sticker.

Could still be offset printing, it might be whoever constructed the set ready for the photos didn’t look to see if there was an upside or didn’t know which would look better. 

22 minutes ago, danth said:

Totally, and if you're still nerdy enough in your 40s/50s (ahem) to care about TFs and Lego, you are very likely in some tech field that pays decently. I know it's a total stereotype, but...it exists for a reason. :D

I really think that after a certain price point, especially for "collector" type items or deluxe sets, Lego should just charge what it takes to get everything printed. I would rather pay $20 or whatever more and get a really nice set than have to deal with crooked stickers that get a ring of dust stuck around their edges forever.

For the more seasoned collectors, our hands may not be as steady as they once were so not having to deal with stickers is a bonus. 

I suspect the first mods will be attempts to improve the head. I wonder if inverting the mouthpiece so the pointy side is up would make it look better, especially if it hides the horizontal line just below the eyes. Or see how it looks with the head swapped with the large-scale Kreo optimus head. Probably too small. But what if they create a Brickheadz version... putting that chibi head on this would be hilarious.

Edited by badbob001

On 5/12/2022 at 2:39 PM, danth said:

I feel like even a tank is a bit of a stretch, so megatron is essentially off the list. If they make a Bumblebee they have to make a Spike Witwicky minifig. Personally I hope they make a Skyfire transformer but that's just me.

I think G1 Soundwave would be a good next move, as it would offer a decepticon to counter Optimus, and Soundwave is generally pretty popular and has a lot of really cool features. The only thing about this set that I really don't like(I'm not a huge fan of the head but I can live with it) is the fact that there are no knees  >_<

On 5/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, Geihlen said:

The eyes are a smidge doofy, but I imagine we'll see several brickbuilt alternate options, possibly before he's even out.

A lot of people have mentioned the eyes, and I agree. I'm thinking that a pair of trans blue 1x1 round plates will look a lot better than the side-printed 1x2 plate there.

Possibly also a 1x2 grille slope in place of the forehead print, if that will still fit when the head is retracted.

20 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

A lot of people have mentioned the eyes, and I agree. I'm thinking that a pair of trans blue 1x1 round plates will look a lot better than the side-printed 1x2 plate there.

Possibly also a 1x2 grille slope in place of the forehead print, if that will still fit when the head is retracted.

Instagram user by the name of itavix has done so in software form - you can check it out here. It also replaces some of the stickered section with greebling.

14 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Instagram user by the name of itavix has done so in software form - you can check it out here. It also replaces some of the stickered section with greebling.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing and I think it looks pretty darn good. I'll probably scrounge up those parts so they're ready for when I get mine.

Sadly I decided to pass on the set. But I am curious. Would the knee joint build in Zane's Titan Mech work for Optimus?

I have to wonder how strong it is. 

It would probably be the best way to add in knees while still keeping the same silhouette in the front. 

Mine is here - building it little by little.

I do have a question, though - this board is a little more formal about what types of posts go in each forum than the other one that I hang out on. Is this going to be the thread where people post pictures of what they've built, or will that end up in a separate thread?

Edited by Stepwise

Built my Octopus Prime today. Still not happy about the price, though VIP points brought it down to a more reasonable value. But wow, what a great set! The transformation process is straightforward and very satisfying, and for a transforming model the sturdiness is pretty good. The only weak area to be aware of is the hips-to-torso connection. The model is definitely more impressive for display in robot mode, but I love how you can also attach the jet-pack to the rear deck of the truck. The orange axe, pink power cube, and display plaque seem superfluous to me, though I certainly don't mind their inclusion. I did swap out the eyes for trans blue Medium Azure 1x1 round plates, as the print here was the one weak point aesthetically. Other than that though, the prints and metallic silver parts really set if off. 9.5/10 from me, and arguably a better set than the Delorean (which I also thought was superb).

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

On 6/11/2022 at 2:47 AM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I did swap out the eyes for trans blue Medium Azure 1x1 round plates, as the print here was the one weak point aesthetically. 

Can you (or anyone else) please share a picture of this. Very curious of how it’s done and what the final modification looks like. Hoping to get this set soon. Thank you.